PDA

View Full Version : Battle Kitty 458

SwissyJim
3 April 2017, 18:11
Well, after a self imposed 6 month unplugging (and it was glooooooooooorius and will intermittently continue) I figured I'd update y'all. You may remember in the great Stickman giveaway I won a CMT upper. Then, by the luck of the Gun Gods, I also won a Battle Kitty lower! So I put them together with a lot of this and that stuff and she now is all together and running extremely smooth as a 458Socom SBR. Suppressed via a Lane Scorpion458 and running 405gr sub loads she is a TON of fun. To top it off I had my buddy @ Precision Cerakote here in Anchorage do something different and he came up with this camo pattern. I like it, I just wish he was able to do the can as well. If pressed, I could probably list out some of the parts used like the Forward Control stuff, CMC trigger, B.A.D. safety and takedown pins...

Dstrbdmedic167
3 April 2017, 18:26
Glad to see you Jim! Awesome SBR man. You did the Battle Kitty good! How's the kitty look cerakoted?

alamo5000
3 April 2017, 19:19
Just DAAAAAAMN. That gun is awesome. I have only dreamed of a setup like that.

GOST
3 April 2017, 19:20
Really like the pattern Jim.

SwissyJim
3 April 2017, 19:20
Glad to see you Jim! Awesome SBR man. You did the Battle Kitty good! How's the kitty look cerakoted?

Actually, Kitty is pretty subdued. It's a shallow engraving (lack of better term?) and she got 3 layers of cerakote due to the colors used. But, we tried color filling her and while it's not a standout job, you can see her and she is there. I wish it was as deep as the Rainier engraving or she'd be super prominent. But overall I'm happy with it and I think she represents! I should have thought of that, or I'd have gotten a photo of her. Once I get back out in better light I'll try to capture her.

Dstrbdmedic167
3 April 2017, 19:22
Actually, Kitty is pretty subdued. It's a shallow engraving (lack of better term?) and she got 3 layers of cerakote due to the colors used. But, we tried color filling her and while it's not a standout job, you can see her and she is there. I wish it was as deep as the Rainier engraving or she'd be super prominent. But overall I'm happy with it and I think she represents! I should have thought of that, or I'd have gotten a photo of her. Once I get back out in better light I'll try to capture her.

That's what I figured would happen. Only reason I haven't coated that one!

SwissyJim
3 April 2017, 19:35
That's what I figured would happen. Only reason I haven't coated that one!
It's not bad, but it is subdued. It definitely does NOT 'pop' out at ya, but if you look for it, it's there. I'm not one for 'pop', so I kinda like it. It'll be fun to see if anyone notices it while I'm playing with her [BD] But I know of only one other WEVO member (cjd3) that's local so I doubt it.

Pyzik
4 April 2017, 04:54
That's looking great!

We all need a hiatus from time to time.

BoilerUp
4 April 2017, 06:20
That looks great. I really like that cerakote job.

JoshAston
4 April 2017, 06:56
I like it, I just wish he was able to do the can as well.

Why can't he? Air dry cerakote will hold up to the heat of a silencer just fine.

FortTom
4 April 2017, 08:38
Ditto on the cerakote job and the pattern. That's nice. Different too!

FT[:D]

KW900A
4 April 2017, 16:10
That's pretty righteous and kick ass! I dig that pattern, it's semi resembles claws ripping into something.

SwissyJim
7 April 2017, 08:56
Thanks all... sorry for the delay in replying, more important things going on like trolling for winter king salmon [:D]
I also like the pattern... something different. I was going to do the typical Kryptic like camo, but decided to let my cerakoter have fun and come up with something different that would make him famous. LOL! dunno about that, but it turned out good... and I have no idea where he got the inspiration/pattern from.

As far as the can, he was under the impression he could not do them... NFA, ATF and all that crap since he's just a regular FFL. I never asked him, and assumed it was something he was not able/willing to do and I went by his word. After this thread, I asked and that's what he told me. Well, I dug up the ATF rules and showed him where he could since it's considered working on the suppressor and not in need of a transfer or SOT FFL (I also asked why he did my SBR lowers which fall under the same rules... ) So now I need to decide if I want to do the can, or leave it black. Since there is other black items on the gun I think it looks fine, and the fact that this can shares duty with my 338WM hunting rifle, I'm not sure what I'll do.

GOST
7 April 2017, 09:22
I think the can looks great as is.

mustangfreek
22 April 2017, 20:32
Nice build Jim and 405gr slugs...wow..