PDA

View Full Version : FN SCAR 16/17 Owners

UWone77
5 April 2017, 19:34
Not a lot of info here with SCARs, so I thought I'd start a thread.

Just picked up a SCAR 16, looking at also adding a 17 as well. What upgrades are useful on a SCAR? I see a lot of them stock buttstock, which is cheaper for me, but the trigger is mediocre.

Are factory SCAR SBR's available? I see that only a few sites even list them as an option and aren't even listed on the FN site. 10, 10.5 and 14.5" SBR barrels are $999, and finally coming into stock at retailers, but is it better to get it chopped down?

SINNER?

SINNER
5 April 2017, 20:05
Saw this a little late on the east coast but I'll try to put down everything I can as to my experiences in the next day or so.

All the factory SBR's as far as I know are select fire LEO or Military. FN calls it the Scar 16-CQC. I cut the factory 16 on mine for two reasons. I had 2 16's at the time so swapping wasn't a concern and I wanted a 12" barrel and not the factory 10". And I've since picked up another 16" barrel sold as used but looked as new as I've ever seen for half of retail. PMM cut mine for a very fair price but turnaround was twice claimed FYI.

Controls are decent. Weak side mag release works well. Always liked the Magpul levers until PMM threw in a set for the delay and I really like his. I'll snap a few pics tomorrow. Not popular with the majority but I like the GG&G angled charging handle better than all the others. Plenty of clearance with any mount I've ran angled down on the right side.

Mounts I use both Bobro and the ADM. Left side levers on the Bobro has proven the best setup I've used but ADM are a damn close second.

Nice to see you picked one up. I think you'll enjoy using it. I'll add to this tomorrow.

schambers
5 April 2017, 21:09
Check out Handl Defense if you haven't already. They have a variety of mods to include different barrel lengths and complete caliber conversions. They are also responsive to emails and may have some things available that are not currently offered on their website. Prices and quality are on par, if not an improvement on Fn.

Beyond caliber conversions and different trigger/trigger modules from different companies, I haven't seen much that provides substantially better/different performance compared to stock components.

Thompson
6 April 2017, 08:57
KDG also does some things for SCARs too. Probably most known for the MREX rail system and SAS stock kit. Though I wouldn't say either are "necessary", the MREX would be nice if you're looking to add stuff to the front end (... like a PEQ-15).

Good bunch of guys over there too.

MoxyDave
6 April 2017, 11:34
My 17S had a shit trigger. I replaced it with the Geissele Super SCAR Trigger (https://geissele.com/super-scar-trigger.html) and now it shoots great.

The SCAR 17S is pretty light for a .308, but any .308 is heavy to begin with so I don't plan to add anything to it. Maybe a nice scope at some point to use it for hunting, but for now I really enjoy just using the backup irons. I've researched the Handl Defense lower since I have a ton of SR-25 mags but it sounds like reliability is suspect. I would be reluctant to change anything else. It's a great rifle out of the box, aside from the trigger. I haven't researched the SBR option, but I remember reading in the manual about a factory 13" barrel available from FN. Not sure about availability ...

This is one of my favorite guns. Super accurate, supremely reliable and lightweight for a .308. With today's prices you can probably find one much cheaper than I did too ...

UWone77
13 April 2017, 15:41
Looks like The Geissele Super SCAR trigger is where I'll start, probaby get some Kinetic Development accessories as well

GOST
13 April 2017, 16:36
Is she staying that length?

UWone77
13 April 2017, 16:46
Is she staying that length?

Ahhhh, you know me too well.

This one? Probably.

Next one in black, will be a 10" SBR.

voodoo_man
13 April 2017, 16:57
I do not believe ​you can buy a factory​ SBR.

I'd suggest getting a factory 10" assembly and installing it that way. It's not hard just make sure you have the right torque specs and tools for it.

Also remember if you get a forend extension you may not be able to use the 10" but have to use the 12.5 depending on the setup.

UWone77
13 April 2017, 17:04
I do not believe ​you can buy a factory​ SBR.

I'd suggest getting a factory 10" assembly and installing it that way. It's not hard just make sure you have the right torque specs and tools for it.

Also remember if you get a forend extension you may not be able to use the 10" but have to use the 12.5 depending on the setup.

No extension on the next one. Just going to go with a factory 10" barrel.

UWone77
15 April 2017, 05:26

2ATA
19 April 2017, 10:00
Well.......the biggest upgrade was the G trigger. I currently have 4 SCARs that I have been running the snot out of. 1 is a 16 that I SBR'd, 1 is a stock length 16 that was from the very first batch imported, 1 is a 17 waiting on the stamp, 1 is a 17 getting setup for long range.

The stock length 16 from the first import batch has gazillions of rounds through it. Lots of steel cased, lots of suppressed, lots of classes. Round count is about 23K....... never had a malfunction. it has also never been cleaned. I squirt a little SLIP into it for a class and that's it.

Aimpoint Micro's on both of the 16s. The currently stock length, general use 17 has an ACOG and an RMR on the 45 degree offset and went to the slim MLOK rails from parker Mountain Machine.

UWone77
19 April 2017, 16:37
Well.......the biggest upgrade was the G trigger. I currently have 4 SCARs that I have been running the snot out of. 1 is a 16 that I SBR'd, 1 is a stock length 16 that was from the very first batch imported, 1 is a 17 waiting on the stamp, 1 is a 17 getting setup for long range.

The stock length 16 from the first import batch has gazillions of rounds through it. Lots of steel cased, lots of suppressed, lots of classes. Round count is about 23K....... never had a malfunction. it has also never been cleaned. I squirt a little SLIP into it for a class and that's it.

Aimpoint Micro's on both of the 16s. The currently stock length, general use 17 has an ACOG and an RMR on the 45 degree offset and went to the slim MLOK rails from parker Mountain Machine.

You're basically running what my goal is this year.

I plan to get another SCAR16 to SBR, and then a couple of SCAR17's. Not sure if I will SBR a 17 though. So far I'm enjoying the platform.

Do you guys like swapping out the lowers for Handl Defense ones? I don't see the need unless you want to run PMags

Joelski
19 April 2017, 18:18
I like the accessory stock better. Does Magpul make it? Reminds me of my UBR without the stupid doors.

SINNER
19 April 2017, 23:57

I plan to get another SCAR16 to SBR, and then a couple of SCAR17's. Not sure if I will SBR a 17 though. So far I'm enjoying the platform.

Do you guys like swapping out the lowers for Handl Defense ones? I don't see the need unless you want to run PMags

Here's my experience with Handl.

Got one of the first runs of their lowers years ago. The 3rd mag through the bolt catch sheared off from a poor attempt to copy FN's dimensions on the bolt catch slot in the lower. A year later it was replaced by Handl and quickly sold.

Fast forward to January of this year when I get the email that the 6.5 CM barrels are in stock and ready to ship. I'll save the details but 7 weeks later the credit card company issued me a refund on the barrels they have NEVER had in stock.

So in short the only thing I'd run from them is the other direction.

Not even getting into the fact that for the $30-35 the SCAR mags are selling for are a bargain and far superior to Pmags.

It is nice to see FN barrel choices growing. Just grabbed a 20" .308 barrel. I hope they flood the market with barrels.

2ATA
20 April 2017, 06:56

I see no purpose to switch to the Handl lower. As you stated the only possible stretch in reasoning would be if you have a metric ton of PMags. I'll try and post some pics this weekend. I'm out of town for work currently.