PDA

View Full Version : SCALARWORKS OPS Fixed Front and Rear Sights

UWone77
19 April 2017, 03:49
Reposted from AR15News.com

http://www.scalarworks.com

SCALARWORKS is well know for creating some of the nicest low profile, lightweight optic mounts and just recently put out a teaser for another great looking new product. They have decided to take their expertise from the optic mounts and apply it to a set of fixed front and rear AR-15 sights.

As you can see in the image below the Rear Sight features a dual aperture, a windage adjustment wheel and clamps in place using a cross bolt. The Front Sight features a finger adjustable front sight post for elevation adjustments and also clamps in place using a cross bolt.

The overall sexy looking design of the sights scream “I was made by SCALARWORKS”. I’m sure these will have the same attention to detail, fit and finish that we have come to expect from SCALARWORKS products.

From what I understand these are 2-3 weeks away from being available for purchase. As of right now I have no specs or pricing, just a couple of sneak peek images. As soon as I get more information and pictures I’ll be sure to post it up on the website as well. For now, be sure to follow SCALARWORKS on their Facebook and Instagram pages to see all of the awesome stuff they are coming out with.

RobertTheTexan
19 April 2017, 04:49
Good post Uwone. They are pretty slick looking. I may have to pick up a set for a little T&E.
I started using PRI fixed sights on my SBR's, just taking a step away from the DD I used before. BNow I just need to remember to check Scalarworks website in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fledge
19 April 2017, 05:42
Will be picking up a set. Good to see a solid fixed sight option hitting the market.

Axlnut
19 April 2017, 09:17
I'll be rocking a set for sure, I can't get over how much I love them.

Tyrannosaur
19 April 2017, 09:38
Just saw a mount for the Aimpoint Pro is about to hit too... that'll be sexy

gatordev
19 April 2017, 14:44
I wish we could see their magnifier mount. I'm hoping it's "it."

Stone
19 April 2017, 14:51
Aesthetically they look nice and I am sure they are rock solid as all his products are. But the SOB seems awfully high...

Axlnut
19 April 2017, 20:12
the smaller you make a the profile of a standard AR height sight, the taller it "looks" - flip ups don't look that way because of the base.

SINNER
19 April 2017, 23:46
Looks like 2 front sights. Fugly.

RobertTheTexan
20 April 2017, 01:12
Looks like 2 front sights. Fugly.

First thought I had was this: somebody's gonna get theses sights switched up. If out money on it.

Scalarworks
20 April 2017, 10:41
Aesthetically they look nice and I am sure they are rock solid as all his products are. But the SOB seems awfully high...

Height Over Rail is standard 1.42". They just look tall in that photo.

Scalarworks
20 April 2017, 10:43
Here are full specs for anyone interested:

MATERIALS: 7075-T6 Aluminum (Mil-A-8625 Type III Hard Coat Anodizing) / 4140H Steel (Black Nitride™)
WEIGHT: 26.6g (0.94oz) OPS100 / 38.4g (1.35oz) OPS110
ORIGIN: USA
WARRANTY: Lifetime

HEIGHT OVER RAIL: 36mm (1.42")
CLICK VALUE: 0.5 MOA @ 15" Sight Radius
ADJUSTMENT RANGE: 47.2 MOA Elevation / 57.6 MOA Windage @ 15" Sight Radius
FLIP APERTURES: 1.78mm/5.08mm (0.07"/0.20") Ø - Same-Plane
SIGHT POST: 1.35mm (0.053") width - Non-Rotating
COMPATIBLE FIREARMS: AR-15, AR-10, SCAR, MCX, and similar with MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny Rail

fledge
20 April 2017, 11:40
Scalerworks, thanks. Do you have a launch date set? Price point?

docsherm
20 April 2017, 11:49
First thought I had was this: I am gonna get theses sights switched up, and maybe backwards. If out money on it.

Fixed it for you......... ;)

RobertTheTexan
20 April 2017, 12:33
Fixed it for you......... ;)

Whoops!! Cats out the bag now! Lol

Stone
20 April 2017, 16:45
Height Over Rail is standard 1.42". They just look tall in that photo.

Thanks!

Scalarworks
20 April 2017, 19:06
Scalerworks, thanks. Do you have a launch date set? Price point?

We hope to have them up for sale by early May.

Price TBD.

cjd3
20 April 2017, 19:46
Between you guys and Forward Controls, I'm going to hate May.

Duffy
21 April 2017, 06:19
I thought you'd be happy [:D]

cjd3
21 April 2017, 19:29
I thought you'd be happy [:D]
Oh, I will be happy, others, not so much. "Sorry buddy, but it's going to be Ramen for dinner for a few weeks."

Duffy
21 April 2017, 20:00
Get the Korean noodles from Amazon, you'll enjoy eating those :P

cjd3
21 April 2017, 20:19
Get the Korean noodles from Amazon, you'll enjoy eating those :P
Good thing I have Prime

Aberration79
23 April 2017, 20:09
Not sure if I need these, but I want them.

Pyzik
24 April 2017, 05:27
I don't own any iron sights and these make me want to.
I think they look great.

UWone77
8 May 2017, 03:25
Scalarworks (https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/ops-fixed/)claims these will be in stock by the end of the week.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/ops-fixed/

Technical

MATERIALS: 7075-T6 Aluminum (Mil-A-8625 Type III Hard Coat Anodizing) / 4140H Steel (Black Nitride™)
WEIGHT: 26.6g (0.94oz) OPS100 / 38.4g (1.35oz) OPS110
ORIGIN: USA
WARRANTY: Lifetime
HEIGHT OVER RAIL: 36mm (1.42") @ center of elevation range
CLICK VALUE: 0.5 MOA @ 15" Sight Radius
ADJUSTMENT RANGE: 47.2 MOA Elevation / 57.6 MOA Windage @ 15" Sight Radius
FLIP APERTURES: 1.78mm/5.08mm (0.07"/0.20") Ø - Same-Plane
SIGHT POST: 1.35mm (0.053") width - Non-Rotating
COMPATIBLE FIREARMS: AR-15, AR-10, SCAR, MCX, and similar with MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny Rail

Pyzik
8 May 2017, 04:21
I am starting to really like how these look.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Stone
8 May 2017, 15:02
Those look awesome on that PDW. Would be a great option on an SBR as well if you weren't going to run an optic on it.

Scalarworks
8 May 2017, 15:56
Thanks for the positive comments, everyone.

The On Point Sights will indeed be up for sale by the end of this week. Let me know if you have any questions.

UWone77
8 May 2017, 16:05
I am starting to really like how these look.

Yes, the initial pics didn't do it justice.

Those look awesome on that PDW. Would be a great option on an SBR as well if you weren't going to run an optic on it.

Yup, exactly what I was thinking. PDW is perfect for these. I'll probably end up picking a set up as funds allow down the road.

fledge
8 May 2017, 17:41
Tell me there's a WEVO code... :)

I'll do a set for the SBR.

titanse05
9 May 2017, 07:17
I'm not a fixed sights type of guy, however, you did a real nice job on these.

Scalarworks
9 May 2017, 07:38
I'm not a fixed sights type of guy, however, you did a real nice job on these.

Thanks [:)]

fledge
12 May 2017, 07:38
It's live. Ordered a set.

Duffy
12 May 2017, 07:53
I'm not a fixed sight guy either, and I like these sights. The LMT fixed sights I have (bought strictly to make a clone) are heavy, and I don't like those enormous thumb nuts, left over from the carry handle days.

I don't think I could have come up with a better design, only I might either shorten the front sight post screw so the threaded portion doesn't stick out, or if that's not possible, form a shroud to cover the exposed threads.

docsherm
12 May 2017, 10:55
Thanks [:)]

I would be happy to test a set you you any time... :)

Those look very nice. I am about to do a 11.5" and need some fixed sights. Good timing.

Scalarworks
12 May 2017, 12:25
I'm not a fixed sight guy either, and I like these sights. The LMT fixed sights I have (bought strictly to make a clone) are heavy, and I don't like those enormous thumb nuts, left over from the carry handle days.

I don't think I could have come up with a better design, only I might either shorten the front sight post screw so the threaded portion doesn't stick out, or if that's not possible, form a shroud to cover the exposed threads.

Thanks, Roger. That means a lot.

The classic Crane/LMT Mk18 Mod0 sights were the basis for my inspiration when designing the On Point Sights. I always loved their look and was heavily influenced by their aesthetic.

RobertTheTexan
12 May 2017, 13:36

As in an LPV?

RobertTheTexan
12 May 2017, 13:38
I would be happy to test a set you you any time... :)

Those look very nice. I am about to do a 11.5" and need some fixed sights. Good timing.

I think this is a great idea. As long as you pass em down to me after you "try" them out. :)

Stone
12 May 2017, 14:52
As in an LPV?

Nah, ISO.

Duffy
12 May 2017, 15:07
I think we share a kindred spirit in our work. I assume every customer will need to use his AR for defense and duty. Our designs reflect it, practicality and durability first, aesthetics later.

I see Scalarworks product much in the same light. Everything that is there exists solely because there's a purpose for it. No unnecessary machining work for fashion and decoration, it's just right and proper.

I've been admiring their work quietly for some time [:D]

RobertTheTexan
12 May 2017, 15:36

I run fixed irons on all my SBRs. It's SOP. All my SBRs have tithe an m4s or EOTech. Hats why I asked if you were referring to an LPV. That's the only config that wouldn't work with these. That and NV.

fledge
16 May 2017, 09:51
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/Scalarworks/24670796-3D83-4F93-90A1-89A51F9752A9_zpskaefttoj.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/Scalarworks/24670796-3D83-4F93-90A1-89A51F9752A9_zpskaefttoj.jpg.html)

Pyzik
16 May 2017, 09:54
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/Scalarworks/24670796-3D83-4F93-90A1-89A51F9752A9_zpskaefttoj.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/Scalarworks/24670796-3D83-4F93-90A1-89A51F9752A9_zpskaefttoj.jpg.html)
Well that was fast

fledge
16 May 2017, 11:54
Came yesterday but I was slow. :)

PhotonScatter
16 May 2017, 13:46
Sweet, got a set on the way as well. God the photos look so good.

docsherm
24 May 2017, 21:49
OK, not trying to be a jerk here, but what do these sights do that a set of DD can't for half the price? If I am missing a feature that makes them better then I am all for the extra cost.

If anyone says weight less I will respond with hit the gym and stop talking. ;) No, seriously, weight has nothing to do with my carbines and how I set them up.

Pyzik
25 May 2017, 04:31
OK, not trying to be a jerk here, but what do these sights do that a set of DD can't for half the price? If I am missing a feature that makes them better then I am all for the extra cost.

If anyone says weight less I will respond with hit the gym and stop talking. ;) No, seriously, weight has nothing to do with my carbines and how I set them up.

I used to think worrying about weight that much was for sissies.... Then I put a SPR barrel, bipod and Weaver Tactical scope on a rifle and it sure got heavy quick. [BD]

UWone77
25 May 2017, 05:37

Removes money from your wallet faster. [noob]

Scalarworks
25 May 2017, 06:44

Please follow this link to see the whole story.

docsherm
25 May 2017, 06:52
Removes money from your wallet faster. [noob]

Well if that is the case then sign me up............ [adore]

docsherm
25 May 2017, 06:53
Please follow this link to see the whole story.

OK, Interesting read...... Do you guys give a MIL discount?

Mecha_Arms
25 May 2017, 09:52
Was there a WEVO discount on these? I need these for a short barrel build.

Scalarworks
25 May 2017, 10:05
OK, Interesting read...... Do you guys give a MIL discount?

Thanks.

We do have an active duty military & law enforcement program. You can apply here: https://scalarworks.com/mil-le/

PhotonScatter
27 May 2017, 07:14
Dumb question, but I saw that you designed the sights for a radius of 15", which I take to mean you've sized the aperture/post for that distance? Is there anything wrong with using it on a longer radius?

Scalarworks
28 May 2017, 10:58
Dumb question, but I saw that you designed the sights for a radius of 15", which I take to mean you've sized the aperture/post for that distance? Is there anything wrong with using it on a longer radius?

Yes, the post has been sized accordingly. The aperture diameters are unchanged from A2, as their distance from the shooter's eye hasn't changed.

The OPS work great on longer and shorter rifles. The longer the radius the smaller the MOA/Click gets. On shorter rifles you still benefit from a slimmer front sight post .

The instruction cards for the sights include a formula to calculate the exact MOA/Click adjustment of any sight radius.

Duffy
31 May 2017, 08:00
I am impressed, these sights appear to be quite well thought out. There's a lot more than meets the eye, I appreciate you guys go through the details to highlight the design impetus, I came away more educated, and I'm going to use the lessons learned here for Forward Design :P

The web page for the sights remind me of an Apple product page. Right blend of relevant pictures, and succinct, to the point descriptions. We do the same thing on our site, Design in Focus, to illustrate the finer points of why things are shaped the way they are, why something is there, or absent. You guys do a better job at this [BD]

EO3
31 May 2017, 11:27
I am impressed, these sights appear to be quite well thought out. There's a lot more than meets the eye, I appreciate you guys go through the details to highlight the design impetus, I came away more educated, and I'm going to use the lessons learned here for Forward Design :P

The web page for the sights remind me of an Apple product page. Right blend of relevant pictures, and succinct, to the point descriptions. We do the same thing on our site, Design in Focus, to illustrate the finer points of why things are shaped the way they are, why something is there, or absent. You guys do a better job at this [BD]

Scalarworks has everyone beat from a design perspective IMO. Everything is product focused and there's no fluff - brilliant job!

fledge
31 May 2017, 12:29
I ran these last week at the range. Overall I love them. And with my MRO running further back, the open aperture is practically invisible when looking at the dot and target.

Two areas of concern. 1) the aperture flip is very light. They have a subtle snap into place but easily move. I wrote Scalar about this, asking if I could increase the tension. They replied:

" The tension is definitely less than some other designs, but we tested it on guns that loosened our fillings and none of them would flip the peep under recoil.

Unfortunately there is no way to tighten or loosen that. The spring would have to be replaced with a higher rate one. Please give the sight a try on the range and let us know how it goes. We've got your back either way."

I believe them regarding recoil and I didn't experience any shift at the range on an 11.5 556 SBR.

That leads to 2). When the aperture is flipped forward, moving it from the small Precision view to the large CBQ view, the precision aperture extends beyond the body of the sight. That is, the top of the aperture is exposed. Because of concern 1, I'm not worried about recoil. I'm more concerned about other obstacles, debris, brush that easily move along the top of the receiver, up the ramp of the rear sight and flip the aperture back. Since the tension is loose, a small twig or clump of grass can move it.

Because my MRO sits in front of the sight, the MRO will act as a barrier to the sight in most instances.

With the current design, the only remedy I see is to switch the precision and cqb apertures. That way, with interference, the cqb is the default. In a serious situation, I have more time to flip sights when I need precision than I do in a close quarter scenario.

Perhaps there is something I'm missing in the overall philosophy, but I thought it worth mentioning for those interested and for future R&D purposes.

Pic for reference:

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/BCM/64FD4385-B574-4B5B-82B1-17AC38FFF393_zps3i9ejwid.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/BCM/64FD4385-B574-4B5B-82B1-17AC38FFF393_zps3i9ejwid.jpg.html)

DenverDave
31 May 2017, 13:35
Do they accept the standard size aftermarket front sight posts?

Big_Tom
20 September 2017, 23:52
Hoping to get a set to use on my SBR. I'm always a fan of companies that design products with the end user in mind.