PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Products

Sak007
23 April 2017, 17:06
Was curious what you guys use at home and the field clean your guns ?
Do you use one product for everything or do you have model specific things you like ?
Do you use a cleaner and a separate lubricant ?
Coated rods ? Bore Guides ?
Iv'e been trying out some new stuff but am also looking for new product to stock at the shop for sale since the boss .....is the cliche blackhawk/5-11 pmc looking guy & well lets just say knows very little about anything firearm/industry related and probably would turn the store into that booth full of chicom and promag crap you would pass at a gun show .

UWone77
23 April 2017, 17:14
Anything you're using that you're dissatisfied with?

I'm only asking as I'm curious if you've been using products you're not 100% satisfied with or just want to look at new products.

cjd3
23 April 2017, 17:21
Presently I am using Frog Lube on everything. The only exception is an Arisaka Type 44 which is seldom fired, I use Balistol on that since I think it will last longer and is wood safe. I really like J. Dewey rods, and have one for the .22 and .30 cals. I use a cheap-o bore guide in my bolt action, and wheeler bore guide for the ARs. This just keeps flexing to a minimum and build up from accumulating behind the chamber. Other than that, until I run out, I have no plans on changing. I wanted to switch to Bore-Tech products, but they are hard to find locally, and they can't air ship it to Alaska.

Sak007
23 April 2017, 17:27
Anything you're using that you're dissatisfied with?

I'm only asking as I'm curious if you've been using products you're not 100% satisfied with or just want to look at new products.

Not really dissatisfied , but the coated Dewey rods iv'e always used don't play well with the Montana X-treme bore products I've been trying . Pretty much it's my GAS
Gear
Acquisition
Syndrome
that keeps me having to try all the latest and greatest things...I know it's sad .
At home I use foaming bore cleaner & run patches for my barrels , and all my dirty fouled up suppressor guns I used Froglube but have been trying out Fireclean to see if the hype is true . I've also been wanting to check out the Go-juice also . I'm really trying to find a good mix of products to stock at the shop , all my boss uses is Rem oil spray ,bore snakes & crappy multi piece rods pulled from crappy all in one kits with no bore guides on EVERYTHING it drives me berserk but he is slowly allowing me to help bring on quality stuff not just related to cleaning .

Sak007
23 April 2017, 17:30
Also this thread is a great way for me to secretly vent about my boss [:D]

BoilerUp
23 April 2017, 22:09
Dewey rods and bore guides for my AR-15s and I have one of their cleaning "links", too, which is handy. I did just get a Possum Hollow bore guide for my Savage model 16. For my AR 308 I have a JP bore guide...it's impressive, if not a bit overkill:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-S9c873f/0/XL/i-S9c873f-XL.jpg

I've been favoring the M-Pro 7 stuff lately, especially their copper remover.

I'm a big fan of my MTM range box, show above, too.

Former11B
25 April 2017, 05:15
I use Hoppes #9 for really gunked on suppressor fouling. I occasionally use Spray on Hoppes "Elite" Gun Cleaner since it doesn't have the over-powering odor that #9 does.

After that, I use MPro7 LPX (I was given a lot in the army and it stays put really well) or Slip2000.

I run some patches (cotton) down the barrel, the first one or two with a drop of Hoppes or Hoppes Elite, then a few dry patches. I use a lot of Q-Tips (mom is a nurse so I usually have the long-stemmed tightly wound ones in bulk).

I keep it really simple. Remove the big debris, wipe it down inside with an old T-Shirt to dry it off/mop up any other solvent left behind and any remaining fouling.

I re-lube it (using some Q-Tips and the previously mentioned lube). Easy breezy