PDA

View Full Version : MAGPUL™ GL ENHANCED MAGAZINE WELL

GOST
27 April 2017, 08:27

PRODUCT DETAILS

The Magpul GL Enhanced Magazine Well is a high performance purpose built Glock frame magazine well. Designed to fully enhance and ensure positive magazine insertion in high stress scenarios.

Sleek and ergonomic design features also provide excellent concealment while ensuring minimal printing to the users clothing. Ramp and edge geometry allow for, should it be needed, positive and flawless removal of a faulty or stuck magazine during reloading or immediate action events.

Made in U.S.A.

FEATURES

Large ramp area for easier reloading
External dimensions ensure minimal printing when carrying concealed
Reinforced polymer construction
Compatible with Magpul, OEM and most aftermarket magazine floor plates
Compatible with most common after-market magazine extensions
Easy installation

MSRP $24.95

https://www.magpul.com/products/gl-enhanced-magazine-well

Battle Cock
27 April 2017, 08:43
They are going to make a killing with a magpul branded glock magwell priced at $24.95

inthegame
27 April 2017, 09:05
Might try this. Was considering vickers floor plates and grip plug but this seams like a nice look. I know it's a different function

UWone77
27 April 2017, 12:44
This is going to seriously put a big dent in sales for current manufacturers selling $100 aluminum versions.

With that said, I'lll take 20 please. :o

Battle Cock
27 April 2017, 13:05
This is going to seriously put a big dent in sales for current manufacturers selling $100 aluminum versions.

No kidding. I need to start stocking them.

voodoo_man
27 April 2017, 15:29

Yep first thing I said.

UWone77
27 April 2017, 15:47
Might try this. Was considering vickers floor plates and grip plug but this seams like a nice look. I know it's a different function

You may also want to try out the 10-8 Performance Glock plates.

http://www.10-8performance.com/glock-magazine-base-pad-black/

mustangfreek
27 April 2017, 19:38
Gonna have to give these a try

inthegame
27 April 2017, 20:13
First time I hear of those plates. Thanks uwone

docsherm
28 April 2017, 12:08
I will be getting several ..... Way to go MagPul

GOST
1 June 2017, 21:01
Now shipping.

inthegame
1 June 2017, 21:59
Waiting on gen 4 version

mustangfreek
2 June 2017, 03:55
Waiting on gen 4 version

This and for the g19 versions

UWone77
3 June 2017, 02:04
I wonder which Magpul dealers will have them first. Tempted to just pay full retail for one from Magpul as they ship quickly, but like some of you noticed, so far Gen 3 G17 versions first.

Naytwan
3 June 2017, 22:03
I wonder which Magpul dealers will have them first. Tempted to just pay full retail for one from Magpul as they ship quickly, but like some of you noticed, so far Gen 3 G17 versions first.

I got excited when I saw Joebob had them listed then I saw "on order" and went to bed.

GOST
3 June 2017, 22:55
Midway is showing them in-stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/332446/magpul-gl-enhanced-magazine-well-glock-17-22-31-34-35-37-gen-3-polymer-black

Naytwan
4 June 2017, 12:57
And ordered. I'll let you guys know when it gets here.

KW900A
4 June 2017, 14:22
Got one coming also. Been waiting on this to drop.

GOST
7 June 2017, 20:24
Now in-stock at Rainier Arms.

https://www.rainierarms.com/magpul-enhanced-glock-17-gen-3-magwell/

Naytwan
9 June 2017, 17:36
Look what I found in the mail box. I like. Need some range time behind it. They are gonna make a killing.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/15c410eb71e9122a60599a3c7812bfe5.jpg

mustangfreek
9 June 2017, 23:46
Nice...

..waiting for gen 4....

UWone77
10 June 2017, 12:07
First impressions? Not bad for a $25 magwell. Certainly nowhere near as nice as the aluminum versions, but they work. That BattleCock Stippling Doe...

gatordev
10 June 2017, 13:54
This is a genuine question and not meant to have any snark attached to it... What do these things do that a stock Glock mag well doesn't do? I understand it's supposed to make it faster/better/smoother/whatever, but realistically, with actual data, what specific benefit is it giving? .1 seconds? .5 Seconds? Of all the things to make a fast time with good hits, getting my mag into my well isn't my first concern.

I'm not asking what flared mag wells do, in general. I get the intent, but for a stock Glock with this added, is it actually measurably better? And by what metric? If it is, and they come out with Gen 4 versions, I'm interested, but I'm just having a hard time "getting it" with out data.

din
10 June 2017, 14:21
I'm worried this might negatively impact the aesthetics of my Glock.

UWone77
10 June 2017, 19:15
This is a genuine question and not meant to have any snark attached to it... What do these things do that a stock Glock mag well doesn't do? I understand it's supposed to make it faster/better/smoother/whatever, but realistically, with actual data, what specific benefit is it giving? .1 seconds? .5 Seconds? Of all the things to make a fast time with good hits, getting my mag into my well isn't my first concern.

I'm not asking what flared mag wells do, in general. I get the intent, but for a stock Glock with this added, is it actually measurably better? And by what metric? If it is, and they come out with Gen 4 versions, I'm interested, but I'm just having a hard time "getting it" with out data.

I find the bigger magwells (such as the ALG Defense) do a lot better on reloads, especially under stress. How much faster? I don't know, I find it helpful though

These smaller magwells such as the Magpul are more aesthetic than anything.

Battle Cock
10 June 2017, 19:19

Thats my concern with these. However, I'm thinking I'll buy a couple and see how conducive they are to permanent welding to the frame to allow for maximum beveling inside the magwell.

gatordev
11 June 2017, 08:27
I find the bigger magwells (such as the ALG Defense) do a lot better on reloads, especially under stress. How much faster? I don't know, I find it helpful though

Yeah, I can certainly understand the benefit of an actual widened well, but since these aren't actually changing anything to the mag well shaft, I figured I'd ask what I was missing.

Stone
11 June 2017, 08:51
In all reality after umpteen thousands of mag changes while training I don't ever recall missing the mag well even in the slightest. With ammo in the mag it makes for a snag less insertion. If people want these on their pistols well then its their money and firearm but the selling points are just that, selling points. It may save time if you miss but practicing mag changes will reduce that minimal variable. I think the attraction is that it does the same thing as the more expensive version but that brings me back to my original point. To each his own. This is a carry over from the three gun/competition guys who use this to shave a few tenths of a second off their time where it can mean the difference between winning or losing a match.

Thompson
11 June 2017, 17:32
Thats my concern with these. However, I'm thinking I'll buy a couple and see how conducive they are to permanent welding to the frame to allow for maximum beveling inside the magwell.
Good Lord man, is there any part to your Battle Glock Tactical that you don't intend on touching?

guys who use this to shave a few tenths of a second off their time where it can mean the difference between winning or losing a match.
Not saying you're wrong - but wouldn't the same be true for a gunfight?

UWone77
11 June 2017, 17:51
Not saying you're wrong - but wouldn't the same be true for a gunfight?

Bingo.

I see this all the time on the speed drill portion of our quals. Guys are trying to get through as many mags as possible, and they sometimes fumble with getting the mag inserted. I know a magwell would help in that situation. I know you can argue more practice and training, but under stress, it's all about the gross motor skills.

Stone
11 June 2017, 17:59
@ Thompson. Oh absolutely, I wont argue that. Even if its minimal its still something. But it seems to me that if a pistol was dropped in the heat of battle and that piece broke and then didn't allow for a mag insert or took 5-10 seconds to dislodge or rip it off it becomes a wash or a liability at that point. To me, self defense is reducing variables. When I introduce things that increase variables I only decrease my limit to the point of diminishing returns. I may have an odd view to products that come along but the first thing I ask myself is "what can go wrong with it" What are its weak points and is this a need or want.

Thompson
11 June 2017, 18:13
I know you can argue more practice and training, but under stress, it's all about the gross motor skills.
I tell people this all the time haha

@ Thompson. Oh absolutely, I wont argue that. Even if its minimal its still something. But it seems to me that if a pistol was dropped in the heat of battle and that piece broke and then didn't allow for a mag insert or took 5-10 seconds to dislodge or rip it off it becomes a wash or a liability at that point. To me, self defense is reducing variables. When I introduce things that increase variables I only decrease my limit to the point of diminishing returns. I may have an odd view to products that come along but the first thing I ask myself is "what can go wrong with it" What are its weak points and is this a need or want.
Never looked at it that way, but you do have a fair point.

gatordev
12 June 2017, 03:58
I see this all the time on the speed drill portion of our quals. Guys are trying to get through as many mags as possible, and they sometimes fumble with getting the mag inserted. I know a magwell would help in that situation. I know you can argue more practice and training, but under stress, it's all about the gross motor skills.

This is always an interesting argument, and one that I'm not sure has a definitive right and wrong answer. There was a pretty good article on Vuurwapen a few years ago about this, too. The posit is that if you train enough, when under actual stress, the stress affects the individual much less than it would otherwise. Personally I think there's some truth to that argument, but it may not apply to everything and everybody all the time.

But look at a race car driver or pilot. Professions that require fine motor skills for specific precision inputs in what can be a stressful situation. But generally, the paid (and successful!) professionals have trained enough that they're able to maintain that dexterity in those situations. The caveat, of course, is that not everyone is equal and some of those people just may not be as good to begin with, so there will always be a spectrum.

All that said, for the first stage of a match (because that's the most stressful shooting situation that I have access to, thankfully), I still feel the adrenaline pumping, even when practicing/training very regularly. I am able to control it because I train a lot, but it's still there. Maybe I don't train enough, or maybe the initial argument still has some level of truth. I'm guessing it's both.

UWone77
1 July 2017, 12:28
So after several shooting sessions with this, I can't recommend it. It's just too small for any practical purpose. It's just barely bigger than the existing magwell.

gatordev, I personally don't shoot enough handgun for my tastes, but I shoot a lot more than your average LEO. I've personally haven't had difficulty manipulating my weapon whether it requires gross of fine motor skills during my "gunfighter" training. However, if something like a magwell can make that average or below average LEO and shave a couple tenths of a second off, then I'm all for it. Obviously a magwell can't make up for skills.

gatordev
1 July 2017, 14:16
So after several shooting sessions with this, I can't recommend it. It's just too small for any practical purpose. It's just barely bigger than the existing magwell.

gatordev, I personally don't shoot enough handgun for my tastes, but I shoot a lot more than your average LEO. I've personally haven't had difficulty manipulating my weapon whether it requires gross of fine motor skills during my "gunfighter" training. However, if something like a magwell can make that average or below average LEO and shave a couple tenths of a second off, then I'm all for it. Obviously a magwell can't make up for skills.

As with everything, we all come at it from our own perspectives. I can certainly understand your logic for the "less than average" LEO. That said, I still don't really see how this particular device changes any of that, and it would appear you've come to the same conclusion after obtaining actual hard data.