PDA

View Full Version : Colt / KAC Project

UWone77
6 May 2017, 21:28
Not sure how this is going to turn out, but it all started with a couple of Colt OEM1 purchases. I decided to use one of the Colt OEM's to install a FSB DD RIS II Rail (Thanks SINNER) The other Colt lower, I planned to SBR to finish a CQBR gun.

So I've got this extra Colt Upper, a KAC RAS, and a KAC Stripped Lower. I cut the 16" barrel down to 10.3" Rainier Arms did the work. I could do a MK18 Mod 0, but then I'd feel like I should have used the Colt Lower. I also don't want to pony up for another PEQ-2 or additional "clone" parts for this.

Not sure how the rest of the gun will turn out, but I'm going to fill out a Form 1 for the KAC Lower.

UWone77
6 May 2017, 21:29

gatordev
7 May 2017, 07:31
Did Rainier do the gas port work as well? I didn't realize they had that ability now.

UWone77
7 May 2017, 12:47
Did Rainier do the gas port work as well? I didn't realize they had that ability now.

I'm not going to mess with the gas port until I shoot it with and without the can. It'll probably need to be opened up slightly, but if it only cycles with a can, I'm fine with it.

fledge
7 May 2017, 15:15
Thanks for the info, UW. Looks clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Former11B
8 May 2017, 08:53

DROOOOOOOOL

Do they sell KAC lowers by themselves, or was that one you stripped off a complete rifle?

What size is the gas port? It was probably .62 or .63.....I doubt you'll want to open it up for blowback reasons, especially if you throw the Mini 4 on there.

fledge
8 May 2017, 09:46
KAC sold the stripped non-ambi lowers earlier this year. No word if they will do it again.

Joelski
8 May 2017, 12:21
They're in stock at Tombstone.

UWone77
8 May 2017, 12:47
Did they stop production? I thought dealers were getting regular albeit limited restocks.

UWone77
8 May 2017, 12:50
DROOOOOOOOL

Do they sell KAC lowers by themselves, or was that one you stripped off a complete rifle?

What size is the gas port? It was probably .62 or .63.....I doubt you'll want to open it up for blowback reasons, especially if you throw the Mini 4 on there.

I believe 16" Colt spec is .063

.070 on a 10.3" so I believe it will cycle just fine with a suppressor. This one is going to get the SOCOM 3 Prong. only because 4 prongs are crazy money.

Former11B
8 May 2017, 13:02
I believe 16" Colt spec is .063

.070 on a 10.3" so I believe it will cycle just fine with a suppressor. This one is going to get the SOCOM 3 Prong. only because 4 prongs are crazy money.

I left out a zero. That would make a big difference [BD]

And with the other pictures of your gear you post.....if you're saying it's crazy money, I'll take your word for it

fledge
8 May 2017, 13:18
Did they stop production? I thought dealers were getting regular albeit limited restocks.

That's what I heard. But I stand corrected if that's the case. I heard smallarmsales and BoltCarrier haven't had stock in a while. That Tombstone has them is good news.

Back to your regular program.

gatordev
8 May 2017, 14:04
And with the other pictures of your gear you post.....if you're saying it's crazy money, I'll take your word for it

They typically start at ~$300 and quickly go up from there. They're not sold on the civilian market in retail, so either you get a hook up from SF or you find one for sale that someone is marking up.

The clone market seems to be significantly over-inflated right now, in large part (I'd argue) due to FB groups popping up. People are getting into the Clone game who don't usually surf ARF, which is increasing demand for lots of parts that haven't been sold new on the market for a while (like FDE RIS II rails).

Joelski
8 May 2017, 16:29
Period-correctness always equates to cubic dollars, although one would think SF would put on a few days of production just to soak up the civvy market dollars.

SINNER
9 May 2017, 03:29
Nice solid build. The more I shoot the Tricon the more I like it.

Glad to see that DD fore end being used. Have I missed the pics of that upper or still not built?

UWone77
9 May 2017, 05:23
Nice solid build. The more I shoot the Tricon the more I like it.

Glad to see that DD fore end being used. Have I missed the pics of that upper or still not built?

Not yet built. It's going on the other Colt OEM1 I'm just having a tough time deciding since I'm not a 100% cloner to just throw it on the 16" barrel, or swap it out for a Colt 14.5" or just cut down the existing 16"

On a side note, I ran 90 rounds through the 10.3" today, just to check function. With a standard H buffer on an SBR lower, the 10.3" ran 100% on UMC 55gr ammo without a hitch. I'm pretty pleased with this, since the gun ran soooooooo smoothly without a can. I think with the .063 gas port, it'll be about as good as suppressor host as you can get.

Pyzik
9 May 2017, 05:41
It'll be sexy either way. What optic would you put on it?

gatordev
9 May 2017, 14:17
Not yet built. It's going on the other Colt OEM1 I'm just having a tough time deciding since I'm not a 100% cloner to just throw it on the 16" barrel, or swap it out for a Colt 14.5" or just cut down the existing 16"

On a side note, I ran 90 rounds through the 10.3" today, just to check function. With a standard H buffer on an SBR lower, the 10.3" ran 100% on UMC 55gr ammo without a hitch. I'm pretty pleased with this, since the gun ran soooooooo smoothly without a can. I think with the .063 gas port, it'll be about as good as suppressor host as you can get.

Personally, I think a 16" M4 barrel cut down to 14.5" just looks awkward, clone or not. And since, let's be honest, you have so many other rifles that this one will be built in part due to looks, I wouldn't recommend going that direction.

But it's very easy for me to spend your money, so ignore as you see fit.

UWone77
10 May 2017, 16:23
Personally, I think a 16" M4 barrel cut down to 14.5" just looks awkward, clone or not. And since, let's be honest, you have so many other rifles that this one will be built in part due to looks, I wouldn't recommend going that direction.

But it's very easy for me to spend your money, so ignore as you see fit.

I agree. It was more of a passing thought. I've been looking on and off for a 14.5" FSB barrel, but it's kind of on the back burner.

n4p226r
3 March 2018, 14:01
Have you considered the colt 14.5” with the socom profile or are you looking to go with a true clone?