PDA

View Full Version : Ascend Armory Titanium 50 Degree Short Throw Ambidextrous Safety Selector Kit

GOST
15 May 2017, 15:15

50 degree short throw ambi safety selector. Titanium core with 6 different levers. 2 short length levers (left and right), 2 meduim length levers (left and right), and 2 extended length levers (left and right). Levers are made out of 6061-T6 aluminum with a Class 3 Type 2 hard black anodize. The titanium core is made of 6AL-4V.

What's included:

1 Titanium Core
6 Lever
2 Torx Screws
1 Torx Wrench
Selector Spring
Selector Detent

MSRP $56.99

https://www.rainierarms.com/ascend-armory-titanium-50-degree-short-throw-ambidextrous-safety-selector-kit/

fledge
15 May 2017, 15:34
Well priced for that segment. Wonder how many BAD patents were violated in the making of it.

UWone77
15 May 2017, 15:52
Well priced for that segment. Wonder how many BAD patents were violated in the making of it.

What makes you think patents were violated?

I guess Roger could speak more intelligently to this if he chose to. I know I've used ambi selectors before BAD's release. I'm thinking the patent may cover the angle? Which is why we see 50,60 degree levers vs 45?

fledge
15 May 2017, 16:09
Mostly tongue in cheek since we've seen so many BAD style selectors in the last year and have joked about it.

Duffy
15 May 2017, 16:11
BAD didn't patent the 45 or 50 degree selector. To me, doing so would seriously impede the adoption. We didn't think it was patentable. If it was, I reckon there's a way for us to file a patent, and still let other people license it. I was quite idealistic then (as I remain mostly so) about the lasting contribution I deemed we should make to the industry. It isn't about money, but betterment of the system that would benefit everyone. To this date, I run Forward Controls in the same manner.

The switch from 45 to 50 degree was to address a very specific compatibility issue with Wilson Combat's TTU triggers. Not all of them, but some. I think anything more than 50 degree, be it 55, 57, or 60, would border on not being a short throw anymore.

RobertTheTexan
15 May 2017, 17:34
It's not just the short throw that separates BAD from the others for me. It's the dovetail that assures me that a loose or stripped screw won't mess up my day. I know that came later, but that's a selling point for me. That and the supremely tight, no-mush positive click.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffy
19 May 2017, 08:34
We spent a lot of time on the detent holes and groove. There is no milspec for the semi auto selector, only for the M16 selector, which doesn't work on semi auto selectors. The detent hole of an M16 selector allows the detent to travel over and past it in either direction, it's incompatible with a semi auto selector, where you want it to only travel one way, but not the other.

The detent hole and groove dimensions changed twice since the original BAD-ASS in 2010, the third time (last change in 2011 or 2012) was the final and best, which results in positive detent engagement, and smooth rotation. The first one had a deeper groove, it was too easy to rotate for some people.

The BAD-CASS was originally an M16 selector, made for Remington's trial guns for the improved M16 selection, which eventually didn't produce anything for the military, though Remington did go on with the development and made commercial ARs based on these trials. The BAD-ASS's lever attachment method doesn't leave enough room for the auto sear cut on the selector center, so we had to do something different to make available space for it, and attach the levers to the center.

That the dovetail can keep the levers usable in the event of a broken or lost screw is a secondary benefit. The downside is the levers are expensive to produce. but they're very strong.

din
19 May 2017, 15:08
I will never get tired of hearing the thought processes that go into the manufacturing decisions you make, Roger. Education!

Duffy
19 May 2017, 16:25
Thank you [:)]
I believe there should be a reason and a purpose behind everything, otherwise it's a waste of time and money, and a disservice to customers . If it's just for looks, it's fashion. We are not in the fashion business.

UWone77
20 May 2017, 14:14
That the dovetail can keep the levers usable in the event of a broken or lost screw is a secondary benefit. The downside is the levers are expensive to produce. but they're very strong.

The BAD-CASS is far superior to the BAD-ASS. Thanks for explaining it better than I ever could!

RobertTheTexan
20 May 2017, 14:40
If you look closely that's exactly what other "look-a-likes" do not emulate. They emulate the appearance so you think it's the same thing, but peel back the covers and that's where any similarities end. If I'm going to buy a BAD, it's going to be the CASS. Bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffy
20 May 2017, 15:03
Troy's and AXTS Talon both use dovetails and spring loaded detents, and they both share the lever wobble, it's an unavoidable consequence of not being able to screw it down to tighten it. If you make the dovetail interfaces very tight, to the point of having to use a mallet to pound the levers on, then they won't move.

But lever wobble isn't an issue, there's just a noticeable slack as you put pressure on the lever before the selector center starts to rotate, it isn't a defect or drawback necessarily.

Aberration79
20 May 2017, 16:23
I have the BAD titanium and steel take down pins. On the titanium ones, they are a bit difficult to work and I noticed on the detent itself its starting to get warn where it engages the pin. Any chance the detent is also titanium?

Duffy
20 May 2017, 17:08
I don't think so, KNS supplies the detents. Ti is harder than the SS pins, I can see them wearing with use.

bzdog
20 May 2017, 18:01
Did the issues with the BAD-CASS short trow and Geissele triggers get worked out? I wanted to switch to short throw, but I kinda had my heart set on the CASS.

-john

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

din
20 May 2017, 18:56
Yeah, they switched back to the centers they were using before.

UWone77
21 May 2017, 18:35
Did the issues with the BAD-CASS short trow and Geissele triggers get worked out? I wanted to switch to short throw, but I kinda had my heart set on the CASS.

-john

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Use the Talon, no issues with any of my G Triggers. I love how you don't have to deal with screws either.

Stickman
22 May 2017, 17:49
These levers are definitely good looking.