PDA

View Full Version : SPR Build: First Range Trip

Pyzik
19 May 2017, 05:35
Had just under an hour to kill and it was enough time to get to the range and sight in this scope (Weaver Tactical 2-10x36) for this weekend's shoot.

Picked up cheap brass ammo at the range (Federal 100 round pack .223).
Didn't realize all I have at some is a couple mags of M193, a couple mags of M855 and the rest is boxes of steel case stuff. Some of which is 62gr and some is 75gr but I wasn't ready to jam steel in this rifle just yet.

The scope was pretty much on target with first shots. I was slightly low at 25. A couple clicks and we were on our way. (Thanks Docsherm!)
One thing I found myself struggling with was getting the cross hairs and my target in focus. I haven't done a lot of scoped shooting so perhaps I had high expectations but it was getting frustrating.
I think I could have done a little better if I could figure this out. Toward the end of my quick range visit, I'll admit my eyes were fatigued. If anyone has a tip or criticism here, I am all ears.

The Milspec trigger (RA trigger) really is pretty bad. I haven't had a milspec trigger in a while now and I forgot just how bad they are. At least for tomorrow I'm swapping it out with the one in my SMOS. Still not a nice trigger, it's just a milspec with a polish job and springs but it's better than feeling like you're trying to pull a cart with no wheels over gravel.

Other than that, there wasn't much to note. Accuracy was acceptable at this point, I'm shooting steel this weekend and I think the furthest spot is 150 yards, but I know the range has had some improvements.
I will take 'er out with better ammo and more time in a couple weekends.

Crappy phone pic of the best group. Most of my groups were around 2moa.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/d2ccb201318d0572fc90ed891124fcc8.jpg

Stickman
19 May 2017, 05:38
At least you weren't showing us 3 shot groups. [BD]

Pyzik
19 May 2017, 05:40
And just as I finished typing this, I got a text that the shoot is cancelled due to expected weather. :(
Rescheduled for the first weekend in June.

Pyzik
19 May 2017, 05:41
At least you weren't showing us 3 shot groups. [BD]

Haha, what's funny is if I would have kept it to three, there were a few that were pretty good. 5 though, opened up every time.

alamo5000
19 May 2017, 05:59
One thing I found myself struggling with was getting the cross hairs and my target in focus. I haven't done a lot of scoped shooting so perhaps I had high expectations but it was getting frustrating.
I think I could have done a little better if I could figure this out. Toward the end of my quick range visit, I'll admit my eyes were fatigued. If anyone has a tip or criticism here, I am all ears.

Did you try the fast focus on your eye piece? Get all set up with your target (even in your yard or whatever) and rotate your eye piece and see if that helps.

Pyzik
19 May 2017, 06:03
Did you try the fast focus on your eye piece? Get all set up with your target (even in your yard or whatever) and rotate your eye piece and see if that helps.

I did spin that around a few times but nothing seemed "perfect". I was just reading I need to set that up on an infinite object (white background, sky, ect.) to get the best result. When I get home I'll try getting that in focus that way.

alamo5000
19 May 2017, 07:54
I did spin that around a few times but nothing seemed "perfect". I was just reading I need to set that up on an infinite object (white background, sky, ect.) to get the best result. When I get home I'll try getting that in focus that way.

Also experiment around and see if your eye relief is correct. Sometimes some scopes are more picky than others. Try getting a little closer, a little farther etc and see what you come up with. This may or may not result in having to move your scope back or forward a couple of notches on your rail.

docsherm
19 May 2017, 10:57
You are welcome.

Do you wear glasses? If so I find it better to take them off and adjust to scope without them.

How about a full pic of that rifle?

Pyzik
19 May 2017, 11:06
You are welcome.

Do you wear glasses? If so I find it better to take them off and adjust to scope without them.

How about a full pic of that rifle?
I don't, wear glasses (yet, I might need to).

I've gotten some tips on gonna try later today or this weekend.

And of course, I'll show off a gun...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/0b70ea9630b97ec90ad8308180c0d1db.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Joelski
19 May 2017, 11:11
Edit: you already answered your question, the trick is don't stare at it.

David, to focus your diopter, sight to a background that makes the reticle show up as well as possible, even a sheet works. You have to focus with quick looks, not allowing your eye to focus on the reticle. once you can get a good look with a quick glance, your peripheral vision should pick it up when focusing on distant objects. I read this on Vortex' and Trijicon's websites and it helped me get the numbers for BDC reticles in focus.

Pyzik
19 May 2017, 11:29
Edit: you already answered your question, the trick is don't stare at it.

David, to focus your diopter, sight to a background that makes the reticle show up as well as possible, even a sheet works. You have to focus with quick looks, not allowing your eye to focus on the reticle. once you can get a good look with a quick glance, your peripheral vision should pick it up when focusing on distant objects. I read this on Vortex' and Trijicon's websites and it helped me get the numbers for BDC reticles in focus.
This is exactly what I'm going to try. And the opposite of what I was doing. Haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Joelski
19 May 2017, 11:44
Knew it. You don't wear glasses, but everybody else who does understands the "This, or this" test with the diopter lenses. It's done quickly to prevent your eye focusing, which leads to eye fatigue. Of course you learned that, but that's the explanation of the reason for doing it quickly.

mustangfreek
19 May 2017, 12:28
Like said, adjust the diopter as pointed out..and play around with eye relief to get a good feel for where you like it, scope might need to come back more for your eyes and the long stock , Both eyes open?

I'd move out to 50 yds and get it close and then move out from there

I know u know it, but a trigger would really help make some smaller groups

din
19 May 2017, 15:19
From the Hide: https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/sniper%C2%92s-hide%C2%AE-armory-supply/sniper-s-hide-rifle-scopes/6252841-setting-up-a-ffp-rifle-scope-a-simple-psa-on-diopters