PDA

View Full Version : WoW - Lightweight = $$

FortTom
7 June 2017, 22:26
I've built and still own two "lightweight" rifles that I still own and still like very much, but still don't feel I achieved what I wanted too...so besides a LW barrel that I bought from a forum member, I've spent the last couple of weeks shopping for parts, primarily V7 and 2A Armament. Now, instead of Jcounting ounces, I'm counting a few grams or .10th of ounces. A lot of Ti and Lithium Aluminum.

Snagged a Belios Gen 1 lightweight upper rec, and matching lightweight hand guard. Most everything else is Ti. I know Ti is expensive, but the costs of this build is really sky rocketing fast, and on top of everything else, am sending it out for cerakote. (probably multicam).

Just hoping this project, being as light as I hope it will be when finished, will be as durable as a more "conventional" build. I think it's about time to wrap up building projects, and this one will probably be my "swan song", last build.;)

Just curious if folks are having issues with these "light weight" AR's. I keep thinking about my LMT, that I think can handle any beating, but weighs a freaking ton, compared to a slimmed down aluminum and Titanium self defense weapon.

FT[:D]

mustangfreek
8 June 2017, 04:15
So what's the rest of parts for this build?.....[:D]

fledge
8 June 2017, 06:07
I've done two lightweights AR15s and one AR10. Sold one. No issues due to being lightweight. I also didn't beat them. One went through a multi-day carbine course without hiccup. The AR10 hunts with me. I don't think the bang for buck is there on the small frame but is on the large. I do think that moving the weight back from the end of the barrel is the best approach for keeping the rifle balanced. A 6lb AR15 rifle is affordably doable. The money goes up incrementally the closer you get to 5lb. My AR10 is 6.75 without optic and I wouldn't want more for lugging in the field.

I'd like a Balios gen 2 set but their price.... sheesh. Needs to come down 20%.

FortTom
8 June 2017, 12:50
So what's the rest of parts for this build?.....[:D]
V7 Buffer Tube, and controls (mostly Ti). 2A Ti pins. Faxon "pencil" Barrel, and Stock to be determined along with BCG. Trigger CMC. No FA this time.

FortTom
8 June 2017, 12:54
I've done two lightweights AR15s and one AR10. Sold one. No issues due to being lightweight. I also didn't beat them. One went through a multi-day carbine course without hiccup. The AR10 hunts with me. I don't think the bang for buck is there on the small frame but is on the large. I do think that moving the weight back from the end of the barrel is the best approach for keeping the rifle balanced. A 6lb AR15 rifle is affordably doable. The money goes up incrementally the closer you get to 5lb. My AR10 is 6.75 without optic and I wouldn't want more for lugging in the field.

I'd like a Balios gen 2 set but their price.... sheesh. Needs to come down 20%. I thought the Gen 1's were a little expensive, especially since they're being phased out.

Wish my LR-10 was as light as yours, mine (haven't weighed it) feels like I'm humping a gorilla. Too much for and old man.[:D]

mustangfreek
10 June 2017, 00:06
Lw bcg Forttom?

Fledge -6.75lb 308....info or any pics..? Link

FortTom
10 June 2017, 00:20
Lw bcg Forttom?

MF

I'm really torn about that. Most of the light weight BCG's I've looked at are only about 4oz. less than, say a Fail Zero AR (not M16 version, it's heavier). i'm being pulled all over by folks telling me that I'd have to run a gas block, which is going to set about 8 in. back under the hand guard? I'm thinking that I can run a LW BCG and adjust it with buffer and spring weight. Many folks running light weight (from reading posts on 'net) say they run LW BCG's with no need for a gas block, some swear the other way around. When I get the rest of the parts and send them to cerakote, I'll have a little time to think it over. I'm about 60/40 in favor of saying the heck with it, and trying one (LW) anyway. If it doesn't work I can use it as a paper weight, or give it away to someone who can use it.

fledge
10 June 2017, 06:14
Lw bcg Forttom?

It's the 2a Xanthos set/rail with 6.5CM proof barrel. Full weight carrier. JP SCS. With a Faxon 308 pencil barrel this would drop below 6lbs.

The weight does not include mag and optic.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/2A%20Arms/3143D086-D639-414E-8FFD-3A1E8BBE11C2_zpsx06m9l82.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/2A%20Arms/3143D086-D639-414E-8FFD-3A1E8BBE11C2_zpsx06m9l82.jpg.html)

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/2A%20Arms/ED999069-BA84-43C7-A8AF-A4D657E1F91F_zpschwua0rn.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/2A%20Arms/ED999069-BA84-43C7-A8AF-A4D657E1F91F_zpschwua0rn.jpg.html)

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/2A%20Arms/149B5700-2914-423F-8222-9FF947729DBA_zpslo00wvyb.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/2A%20Arms/149B5700-2914-423F-8222-9FF947729DBA_zpslo00wvyb.jpg.html)

Evintos
10 June 2017, 21:05
MF

I'm really torn about that. Most of the light weight BCG's I've looked at are only about 4oz. less than, say a Fail Zero AR (not M16 version, it's heavier). i'm being pulled all over by folks telling me that I'd have to run a gas block, which is going to set about 8 in. back under the hand guard? I'm thinking that I can run a LW BCG and adjust it with buffer and spring weight. Many folks running light weight (from reading posts on 'net) say they run LW BCG's with no need for a gas block, some swear the other way around. When I get the rest of the parts and send them to cerakote, I'll have a little time to think it over. I'm about 60/40 in favor of saying the heck with it, and trying one (LW) anyway. If it doesn't work I can use it as a paper weight, or give it away to someone who can use it.

The best result is with a adjustable gas block since you'd be able to tune the gas for overall less reciprocating weight. The gas port size on the barrel would have to be smaller if you want to see the same benefits without an adjustable gas block.

Going with LW BCG and heavier buffer/spring combo will net you similar results as standard weight bcg and lightweight buffer/spring combo. Doable, but depending on gas port size there could be excessive wear and tear, too high of a cyclic rate, etc.

UWone77
10 June 2017, 21:10
FT,

I was originally going to use that Barrel on my Kaiser Set: https://www.kaiserus.com/product/ksp-us-x-7-polymer-ar-15-lightweight-receiver-set/ Now in the process of taking it all apart.

Decided I didn't want to do LW, as it's a lot of cost for minimal benefit for me. I think if I were to do a true LW build, I'd go V7.

Aragorn
10 June 2017, 21:42
Utilizing a lightweight BCG, then increasing the weight of the buffer kinda defeats the whole purpose. Either go with an adjustable gas block or run a heavier spring.

FortTom
10 June 2017, 21:47
FT,

I was originally going to use that Barrel on my Kaiser Set: https://www.kaiserus.com/product/ksp-us-x-7-polymer-ar-15-lightweight-receiver-set/ Now in the process of taking it all apart.

Decided I didn't want to do LW, as it's a lot of cost for minimal benefit for me. I think if I were to do a true LW build, I'd go V7.

The 2A was lighter, I believe more narrow and didn't have that look of so much metal machined out it'd slice your finger off. Most everything else has been ordered from V7, though. Mostly all Ti stuff. One problem with V7 though is they seem to have a lot of stuff out of stock.

FortTom
10 June 2017, 21:52
Utilizing a lightweight BCG, then increasing the weight of the buffer kinda defeats the whole purpose. Either go with an adjustable gas block or run a heavier spring.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Did that exact same thing with another of mine, with an extra power spring from Brownell's. Worked like a charm. The buffer idea was a pretty much last ditch effort. If it cycles properly and doesn't try to beat itself to death I'll just leave it like it is.

Thanks,

fledge
11 June 2017, 06:17
The 2A was lighter, I believe more narrow and didn't have that look of so much metal machined out it'd slice your finger off. Most everything else has been ordered from V7, though. Mostly all Ti stuff. One problem with V7 though is they seem to have a lot of stuff out of stock.

I get most VSeven stuff through Rainier with Apex. They return to stock pretty quickly (2-3weeks) and you can get notified for restock.

FortTom
12 June 2017, 15:29
I get most VSeven stuff through Rainier with Apex. They return to stock pretty quickly (2-3weeks) and you can get notified for restock.
Tacticallink.com has a lot of their LW Ti stuff too. Was able to burn through my money pretty quickly between 3 or 4 vendors[wow]

mustangfreek
12 June 2017, 17:53
Kudos on the 308 there fledge..I like that..

Sounds like you've got it figured out FT, curious to see what it weighs in at

FortTom
12 June 2017, 19:15
Kudos on the 308 there fledge..I like that..

Sounds like you've got it figured out FT, curious to see what it weighs in at

Me too....Just have to see.;)

UWone77
13 June 2017, 19:51
I seem to recall this was your "last" build many posts ago. But... ultimately interested to see what version of LW you come up with.

FortTom
14 June 2017, 19:11
I seem to recall this was your "last" build many posts ago. But... ultimately interested to see what version of LW you come up with.

This is it! Done! Well, I might experiment and change parts in and out, but that's it![:D] Besides, that was two builds ago, you're not going to hold that against me? I misspoke.