PDA

View Full Version : I'm in love

poimen
10 June 2017, 14:23
So I finished up my first build. And I know I'm gonna make some people cringe a little when they hear this, but this isn't just my first build, it's the first AR15 I've ever fired. I've shot a lot of other stuff, but mostly shotguns and pistols, and the one time I got to shoot a scar17 on Election Day because the gun range gave a free rental if you wore your sticker to the range. Haha. But as far as rifles go, my experience has been mostly limited to the .22 long.

Took my fresh build to the range today to break the barrel in. And I'm in love. Not sure what I was expecting, but it was beautiful. I was surprised at the lightness of the trigger (compared to the stout 12 lb pull of the px4 I also have) and the ease of getting back on target because of the low recoil.

Below are some pics of my build for your critique. Also, the targets from the break in. The pic with the smaller grouping is during the "break in" time where I took my time with each shot. (20 yards was the max distance at the range) the second target was just me shooting at a moderate pace. Wasn't trying to win any speed records with it, but was just tying to shoot fast while staying on target. All said and done, I'm pleased with my performance with iron sights.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/185526c1740ec4d79c6fdb173d71d415.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/7ae4270d53730b0f0ba5b9d996d3624f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/3e0ee618a5f3f7cd8fcdef848bbc6c1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry R
10 June 2017, 14:49
Looking good. What are the specs on the build?

poimen
10 June 2017, 15:08
Looking good. What are the specs on the build?

Anderson lower, bravo company lpk with the pnt trigger, aero enhanced upper and mlok handguard, 16" BA stainless middy barrel, magpul ctr and mbus, aero nitride bcg, standard flash hider.

fledge
10 June 2017, 15:36
It never gets old.

alamo5000
10 June 2017, 15:52
I see one glaring problem.

You need more ammo. Lots and lots more ammo! [:D]

poimen
10 June 2017, 15:53
I see one glaring problem.

You need more ammo. Lots and lots more ammo! [:D]

Haha I agree, wanna send me some? I'll try to write you name in a target. Lol

GOST
10 June 2017, 16:33
Now you need a sbr.

BoilerUp
10 June 2017, 18:21
It's great when everything comes together like it's supposed to on the first range trip with a new build. That's a solid general purpose set up and a great way to start on the platform.

"Breaking in" can imply (for the barrel at least) frequent cleaning to remove copper fouling while minor tooling marks inside the barrel wear down (i.e., clean after every 1-5 rounds for the first 20-50 rounds or until the copper fouling is greatly diminished). There is a bit of an ongoing debate about weather it is worth it, but I tend to believe there is value to the process for a stainless steel barrel (I'm not as convinced on melonite barrels).

At what distance were you shooting? Indoor range?

Depending on the type of shooting you want to do, you might want to consider an inexpensive red dot sight. You can get a Burris TR-25 for $25 after rebate right now (you'll need a riser mount, though): https://gun.deals/product/bushnell-trs-1x25mm-red-dot-731303-5999 I've got one of the older Primary Arms red dots and does surprisingly well for an $80 sight.

poimen
10 June 2017, 18:33
Yeah I followed the BA suggested break in for their SS barrels. Had lots of cleaning today haha. And it was 20 yards indoors.

The next step is optics. I'd love a red dot. I was actually gonna post a thread discussing budget optics but haven't gotten around to it yet. But I think I'm gonna look for something with a little magnification.

So yeah What brands are worth looking at? Keeping in mind I've never looked thru a trijicon or leopold scope so I don't know how good they actually are haha.

FortTom
10 June 2017, 18:56
Yeah I followed the BA suggested break in for their SS barrels. Had lots of cleaning today haha. And it was 20 yards indoors.

The next step is optics. I'd love a red dot. I was actually gonna post a thread discussing budget optics but haven't gotten around to it yet. But I think I'm gonna look for something with a little magnification.

So yeah What brands are worth looking at? Keeping in mind I've never looked thru a trijicon or leopold scope so I don't know how good they actually are haha.

Let me save you some time. I wouldn't include Trijicon or Leupold if your discussion is about budget optics, unless your "budget" is virtually unlimited.[:D]

Well, maybe you can get a "budget" Leupold, but their "better" tactical scopes are going to be a tad expensive to second mortgage expensive . Trijicon....probably not going to be found in the "budget bin".

FT[:D]

poimen
10 June 2017, 19:00
Let me save you some time. I wouldn't include Trijicon or Leupold if your discussion is about budget optics, unless your "budget" is virtually unlimited.[:D]

Well, maybe you can get a "budget" Leupold, but their "better" tactical scopes are going to be a tad expensive. Trijicon....probably not.

FT[:D]

well the point was to weed out the guys that have the big budgets and the trijicon elitists who will poke their nose into a "budget" thread and say "hey you should buy a trijicon because it's the BEST" or some crap.

UWone77
10 June 2017, 19:29
well the point was to weed out the guys that have the big budgets and the trijicon elitists who will poke their nose into a "budget" thread and say "hey you should buy a trijicon because it's the BEST" or some crap.

Heh... Trijicon Elitist, never heard anyone call Trijicon guys Elitist, especially since they're not even top of the budget in the optics world.

poimen
10 June 2017, 19:30
Heh... Trijicon Elitist, never heard anyone call Trijicon guys Elitist, especially since they're not even top of the budget in the optics world.

Well that's how little I know about the optics world.

RobertTheTexan
12 June 2017, 04:33
IMO it really boils down to what your AR's purpose is and how much $$$ you are willing or able to spend. If I had that barrel, I would not be thinking HD or inside structure/CQ type optic. That's a very accurate barrel you have so I would try to leverage that, maybe look st SWFA's 1-4 LPV (or 1-6/1-8) Low Power Variable) optic. With an LPV you get 1X(or close to it) for your CQ use and when you can stretch out your AR's legs a little you will find it fully capable out in the 400-600 yard range. They are both eyes open optics, so for me, I don't have any issues transitioning from my Aimpoint or EOTech and my 1-4's or 1-6's.
Some guys prefer the red dot though, especially if they only have one AR or some people just don't like LPV.
You can get that SWFA in sale in he $300's. It's not a $50 red dot, but personally I wouldn't put a low end optic on a life preserving weapon. Just my philosophy, not everyone shares it.
I think it's cool that this is your first experience. You seem like a blank slate and that's a very good thing - just do your research. If you have a range that rents AR's with optics, maybe you can try a couple of different options.

Just a comment about the "elitist". While there are definitely optic snobs, trigger snobs, AR snobs and hamburger snobs, there are als man people who believe in the buy once cry once mantra and would recommend you save your money to get a quality optic rather than just immediate gratification of getting an optic on your AR and sacrificing quality. I think if your AR is purposed only for plinking st the range it probably doesn't matter. But if it is a tool to be used to defend your family or even yourself, the you should at least consider the options. You built a very nice looking AR and should be very proud of it. Your decisions and your assembly. I think you made excellent decisions on some of the parts.
The LPV optic is just showing you an alternative to a reflex sight. SWFA was just a suggestion. In the LPV space there are several options. Vortex makes a 1-6 Strike Eagle that you can use CQ and it can be had on sale for $299. Burris and Bushy also have some decent options as well as a Primary Arms.

Is the 20 year range the only range you have access to?

Former11B
12 June 2017, 07:33
What State do you live in, OP?

poimen
12 June 2017, 08:26
What State do you live in, OP?

PA. Why?

alamo5000
12 June 2017, 08:46
If you can go shoot other people's guns that have various set ups it will solve a lot of the mystery. We can talk for days but half an hour of shooting various setups with people who know answers will save 10,000 questions.

poimen
12 June 2017, 08:48
If you can go shoot other people's guns that have various set ups it will solve a lot of the mystery. We can talk for days but half an hour of shooting various setups with people who know answers will save 10,000 questions.

Yeah probably. I just don't have many friends here that shoot. All of my other shooter friends are back in Ohio, where I'm from originally.

RobertTheTexan
12 June 2017, 08:52
Not sure how much it will help, but you can try posting here and ask if there are any forum members nearby interested in meeting up for a shoot.
http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?136-PA-OH-WV-Study-Group