PDA

View Full Version : budget optics thread

poimen
10 June 2017, 18:47
i don't know if i missed it or if i didn't dig deep enough, but i didn't see a post like this yet...but thought i'd start one up.

so keeping in mind i have almost no experience with optics, but still want something quality, can anyone help me with some budget optics? i'm not looking to drop hundreds of dollars on a scope, but i'm looking for something around $100 give or take a few bucks. i've never looked through the glass of a trijicon, or a leopold, so i won't know what i'm missing...no sense suggesting that yet. looking for a little magnification. not sure what brands to look at and what to stay away from. any help would be appreciated.

UWone77
10 June 2017, 19:16
I consider the Primary Arms 1-6x24 and the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 about as budget as I'd go. I'm not even sure what's available for $100 that wouldn't be junk.

BoilerUp
10 June 2017, 19:33
I think you learned this in another thread, but this isn't exactly a budget crowd.

Good glass will spoil you quickly. I'm not satisfied with most $300 magnified optics anymore.

The Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 ($150 at Lanbo's Armory) is probably the cheapest piece of glass I could recommend. I really wouldn't go lower. A decent 1-4x24 will be in the $250 price point. Spending $60-100 on something at Dick's Sporting Goods or the like is just a waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

That said, for magnified optics, a reasonably safe bet is the buy the most Leupold or Vortex your budget will allow. They have great warranties.

A Leuopld Mark AR Mod 1 1-4x24 can be had for under $250. A Vortex Crossfire 1-4x24 is about the same.

However, you can get decent little Red Dot Sights for under $100 pretty easily. Primary Arms, Holosun, an cheap Sigs are all the same (made by Holosun). A Vortex SPARC or STRIKEFIRE are also good options.

FortTom
10 June 2017, 23:27
Poimen,

I'm going to be blunt here, but it's not out of "meanness". I think you have a strange view of the optics world if you'd buy a piece of junk and be happy with it because "you've never looked through a trijicon" Believe me, if you go buy a $80 dollar scope, it's going perform like a piece of crap whether you know any better or not. All the downfalls of cheap glass will make themselves known to you, no matter what you've looked through or not.
to
Having said that, why don't you just use your BUIS and shoot through them, and save a few hundred dollars to put into a decent optic while honing your marksmanship with the irons? A hundred or less is only going to get you a hundred dollars worth of heartache. And headaches.

Good Luck to you,

FT[:D]

cjd3
11 June 2017, 00:37
Vortex Diamond Back HP scopes are on sale at Cabela's. here (http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/optics/riflescopes|/pc/104792580/c/104752080/sc/104535180/vortex-diamondback-hp-riflescopes/1777160.uts). They are excellent, and at these prices, totally worth it. The 3-12 for $190 is a steal. It's a bit more than $100, but worth it. And for the love of god, don't buy a P.E.P.R. Mount.

SINNER
11 June 2017, 04:18
Keep using your irons and save more. $100 is a low budget for a decent mount.

Stone
11 June 2017, 05:59
Right here: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?10167-WTS-Vortex-StrikeEagle-1-6x24&p=151422#post151422

Its a decent entry level scope( in great shape) and if you ask the seller nicely he may be able to dig out a mount for a good price as well.[pop]
Put a $100 down on it and maybe he will hold it for you before someone snags it...

alamo5000
11 June 2017, 13:41
i don't know if i missed it or if i didn't dig deep enough, but i didn't see a post like this yet...but thought i'd start one up.

so keeping in mind i have almost no experience with optics, but still want something quality, can anyone help me with some budget optics? i'm not looking to drop hundreds of dollars on a scope, but i'm looking for something around $100 give or take a few bucks. i've never looked through the glass of a trijicon, or a leopold, so i won't know what i'm missing...no sense suggesting that yet. looking for a little magnification. not sure what brands to look at and what to stay away from. any help would be appreciated.

You've already gotten the advice from others but I will echo it. Stay away from cheap glass. It will be nothing more than a headache. That doesn't mean you need a $3000 scope but if you spend $100 bucks you just wasted $100 bucks. If on the other hand you shoot with irons for a while (not a bad idea at all) and give it 2-3 months to learn more and settle in while you are saving you will be better off.

As for what kind of optic your discussion at this point should be about features. 1-4x? 1-6x? FFP or 2nd? Capped turrets or not? Or would a red dot be a better fit for your particular situation?

My advice is to get some more trigger time and educate yourself better about your own shooting style and what you enjoy doing more. For example on one rifle I have I only shoot match grade hand loads off a bipod. I enjoy shooting to far distances (800 yards) and I have a place to do that hence I have tooled up for that job. If the max you plan to shoot is 100 yards and you never are going to use a bipod then a red dot would be a better recommendation.

Taking your time to learn more will pay for itself with a lot wiser and more appropriate choices for your particular wants or needs.

poimen
11 June 2017, 14:53
Vortex Diamond Back HP scopes are on sale at Cabela's. here (http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/optics/riflescopes|/pc/104792580/c/104752080/sc/104535180/vortex-diamondback-hp-riflescopes/1777160.uts). They are excellent, and at these prices, totally worth it. The 3-12 for $190 is a steal. It's a bit more than $100, but worth it. And for the love of god, don't buy a P.E.P.R. Mount.

What is a pepr mount and why do I need to stay away from it? Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alamo5000
11 June 2017, 15:15

If you saw a turd sitting on a hot sidewalk would you pick it up and play with it out or would you leave it alone?

poimen
11 June 2017, 15:16
If you saw a turd sitting on a hot sidewalk would you pick it up and play with it out or would you leave it alone?

ahahahahahahhahaha! of course i'd leave it alone but that didn't really answer my question. why is it a turd? maybe ill at least google it and see what it is...

poimen
11 June 2017, 15:20
ok so i looked it up...and to the untrained eye (mine) ... it doesn't look terrible. it's a decent concept...kinda cantilever, with the space for putting a red dot on top...so what makes it so turdy?

alamo5000
11 June 2017, 15:49
Others can give more details about specific parts. But trust me that when WEVO as a group speaks it's time to listen. Lots of people here know their stuff. This is not the internet ninja site.

I can tell you my experience with many different kinds of gun parts. Yes they might all 'look like' they are up for the job but at the end of the day they aren't. Bipods... I've gone through a couple and they all sucked royal donkey balls. Just royally cheap crap that breaks or doesn't do what its supposed to do. But then I splurged on a Atlas and that's the best thing since sliced bread in the way of bipods.

QD mounts. On paper they look all the same. The pictures all show 'QD mounts' but 'why is this one $15 and why is that one $60"? Because the $60 dollar one won't fall off under fire.

Scope mounts need to be solid. They need to have the right size ring to mate up with the tube of your scope. Well what happens if it's milling is all jacked up or other things? What happens if the QD mounts loosen and fall off after a magazine of fire? What if it can't or won't hold a zero?

In the gun parts world and components you have several piles.

1. The shit pile. This is cheap chinese knock off junk that merely appears to be something but at the end of the day it's made out of crap and built like junk.
2. The value pile. Fairly decent stuff but still not the best.
3. The 'good' pile. It's generally really good but also not cheap either.
4. The overpriced pile. IE the titanium gold plated tactical ninja back up sites that go for $499 bucks. It adds zero functional value other that the name brand but they charge too much for it.

Your parts need to most likely come from pile 2 or pile 3.

cjd3
11 June 2017, 17:39
It looks like its a good QD scope mount, and many people have owned one, only to find out that they don't hold on very well, nor hold their zero. I've not seen, nor used this mount, but it may be a god starting point if you want to put a scope on your rifle: Primary Arms (http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-deluxe-extended-ar15-scope-mount-1-inch-padlxsmext1). As Alamo stated, this is probably a value rig. It's not a QD, and if properly torqued, probably won't get loose. The quality stuff is from BoBro and American Defense MFG, but they are probably out of your price range.

GOST
11 June 2017, 17:54
I agree with BoilerUp and would go with a Holosun. One of the best red dots I've used for the price. $136 with mount and free shipping.

https://jet.com/product/detail/5f3e2b5808d44f96b33ff35945754c6c?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_d ur_Cwin_Sporting_Goods_a1:Sporting_Goods_Binocular s_Scopes_Red_Dot_Sights_a1:na:PLA_786130019_467597 87171_pla-306522842149:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=786130019&is_retargeting=true&clickid=a4825d5f-0678-41af-8c7a-79b51df9b83e

FortTom
11 June 2017, 17:55
It looks like its a good QD scope mount, and many people have owned one, only to find out that they don't hold on very well, nor hold their zero. I've not seen, nor used this mount, but it may be a god starting point if you want to put a scope on your rifle: Primary Arms (http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-deluxe-extended-ar15-scope-mount-1-inch-padlxsmext1). As Alamo stated, this is probably a value rig. It's not a QD, and if properly torqued, probably won't get loose. The quality stuff is from BoBro and American Defense MFG, but they are probably out of your price range.

I'm kind of curious too. I've had mounts from about everyone, my favorite being BoBro, but I have a P.E.P.R. on my LR-10. Granted, it hasn't seen any real heavy use. Don't even remember where I got it, I think it was at the club as a door prize. But I happened to have it so I threw it on that rifle because it was new and I needed a scope mount. The only problem I've seen with it is it's heavier than heck, on a rifle that's already too heavy.

Had it off to sight MBUS's because I forgot to sight them in before I mounted the Burris. Put it back on and it was damn near perfect. No loosening, or hasn't become a projectile. Didn't know it was a piece of crap until you folks told me.[:D] It is big, but it's holding a big scope. So, it returns to zero, hasn't broke, stays on, doesn't come loose and returns as close to zero as one could expect for a "utility" rifle, so what calamity should I be holding my breath for, that hasn't yet happened?[:D]

poimen
11 June 2017, 17:55
I agree with BoilerUp and would go with a Holosun. One of the best red dots I've used for the price.

https://jet.com/product/detail/5f3e2b5808d44f96b33ff35945754c6c?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_d ur_Cwin_Sporting_Goods_a1:Sporting_Goods_Binocular s_Scopes_Red_Dot_Sights_a1:na:PLA_786130019_467597 87171_pla-306522842149:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=786130019&is_retargeting=true&clickid=a4825d5f-0678-41af-8c7a-79b51df9b83e

I think this was the one that PSA had bundled with 10 pmags the other day, wasn't it?

GOST
11 June 2017, 17:59
Don't know, I haven't been keeping up with PSA.

poimen
11 June 2017, 18:01
Don't know, I haven't been keeping up with PSA.

My bad. It was the vortex sparc. Literally the only thing I look at from PSA is the daily deals. I don't think I'd ever buy a rifle from them.

cjd3
11 June 2017, 18:04
I'm kind of curious too. I've had mounts from about everyone, my favorite being BoBro, but I have a P.E.P.R. on my LR-10. Granted, it hasn't seen any real heavy use. Don't even remember where I got it, I think it was at the club as a door prize. But I happened to have it so I threw it on that rifle because it was new and I needed a scope mount.
I had this a while ago, and the RTZ was completely abysmal. Off the paper abysmal. I switched to a BoBro, and it was phenomenal. Too bad I also switch later to a 30mm tube, so I sold it, and a have a non QD mount.

gatordev
12 June 2017, 04:04
I have a Primary Arms MD-07 w/ mount sitting in a box that I'd sell you for $60 shipped. But if you want mag, just be patient, save for a couple of months, and grab a Vortex whatever.

Bottom line: There are deals out there, but go for patience and saving over instant gratification and cheap to get what you want.

FortTom
12 June 2017, 15:21
I have a Primary Arms MD-07 w/ mount sitting in a box that I'd sell you for $60 shipped. But if you want mag, just be patient, save for a couple of months, and grab a Vortex whatever.

Bottom line: There are deals out there, but go for patience and saving over instant gratification and cheap to get what you want.

There you go, Poimen. He's handing you a deal with the sight and a mount. If you've got 60 bucks in your back pocket, jump on it and shoot it until you can save enough coin to get a nice 1X6 or what ever magnification you were looking for. That's about half the price of a high end mount, as you'll find when your budget allows you to move up a few notches and get a really nice optic with magnification.

alamo5000
12 June 2017, 16:05

This is not for the OP but everyone else:

If you have ever had to wait for a product...sometimes two, sometimes, three paychecks until you could get the 'right thing' please raise your hand.

***RAISES HAND***

Now I really would like to second this advice given from gator to the OP. Don't get in a hurry. Make educated choices. Some people take a year (or more) to finish building out a rifle.

You can ask just about anyone and everyone here... I drove people nuts asking questions about stuff before I would buy things. Now I have a slightly better handle on it but there is still a whole lot to be learned.

Unless it's a known item on some kind of a flash sale or something resist the urge to impulse buy 'just to get something' just for the sake of thinking your rifle will be 'done' after buying said wigit.

We aren't trying to steer you wrong at all. The fact of the matter is products must meet a certain level of quality just by nature of what this sport/activity/profession entails.

You wouldn't buy a football where the air drains out of it after a few tackles would you? And neither should you buy cheap gun parts that won't hold up over time or cannot do their job as they should. It does mean a bit more money, but in the end it will pay off to not scrimp.

mustangfreek
12 June 2017, 17:51
Alamo is long winded today...lol

Did someone say PEPR ....lmao...id opt for the aero mount over it any day..

For not much more I'd look at the Cortex sparc ar, I've seen them as low as a $130 on sale.

poimen
12 June 2017, 17:57

Oh man. That's super tempting. But I think at this point I'm going to listen to the advice given and just buckle down and save for something with some magnification...gonna take this time to get used to my rifle, and go from there.

alamo5000
12 June 2017, 18:30
Alamo is long winded today...lol

Today?! HAHAA!

You should probably say 'most of the time' LOL!!!

alamo5000
12 June 2017, 18:39
Oh man. That's super tempting. But I think at this point I'm going to listen to the advice given and just buckle down and save for something with some magnification...gonna take this time to get used to my rifle, and go from there.

Before you turn down the deal it might be worth a discussion about HOW you shoot. Don't set your heart on getting a magnified optic just yet

There is a whole other discussion that you're not having (but should).

How far is the farthest you will shoot?
Do you like shooting prone or from a bipod or some other kind of rest?
Are you going to be shooting off the shelf ammo 90+% of the time?
Do you primarily shoot while standing and/or moving around?
Are you concerned with shooting 'groups' or are you more like 'I hit the target so I'm good' kind of shooter?

Personally I think a red dot might be a lot better fit for you and your rifle but naturally that depends on how you plan to use your rifle.

Getting the right tool for the job is more important.

Ask yourself honestly how you came to the conclusion you need or want a scope.

cjd3
12 June 2017, 18:41

Remember there are almost always sales prior to most holidays, especially Memorial, Independence, and Veterans Day. Many 20% - 25%.

poimen
12 June 2017, 18:47
Before you turn down the deal it might be worth a discussion about HOW you shoot. Don't set your heart on getting a magnified optic just yet

There is a whole other discussion that you're not having (but should).

How far is the farthest you will shoot?
Do you like shooting prone or from a bipod or some other kind of rest?
Are you going to be shooting off the shelf ammo 90+% of the time?
Do you primarily shoot while standing and/or moving around?
Are you concerned with shooting 'groups' or are you more like 'I hit the target so I'm good' kind of shooter?

Personally I think a red dot might be a lot better fit for you and your rifle but naturally that depends on how you plan to use your rifle.

Haha it's good so many people have so many thoughts about what would be best based on my one trip to a 20 yard range.

Being new to the scene, I thought I'd try my hand at everything to see what I like the best. I have access to plenty of land that I can stretch my legs with...about 150 yards...give or take. There, id probably shoot prone or at a table. I'm also contemplating setting up a makeshift 3 gun course, to see if I'm any good at that. I don't want to rule anything out, is all I'm saying.

poimen
12 June 2017, 18:48
Remember there are almost always sales prior to most holidays, especially Memorial, Independence, and Veterans Day. Many 20% - 25%.

Good point.

alamo5000
12 June 2017, 19:02
Haha it's good so many people have so many thoughts about what would be best based on my one trip to a 20 yard range.

Being new to the scene, I thought I'd try my hand at everything to see what I like the best. I have access to plenty of land that I can stretch my legs with...about 150 yards...give or take. There, id probably shoot prone or at a table. I'm also contemplating setting up a makeshift 3 gun course, to see if I'm any good at that. I don't want to rule anything out, is all I'm saying.

There you go. I was just saying to think it through about purpose. There is a role for everything. Some things you just have to try it out. Trial is a really good teacher.

GOST
12 June 2017, 19:14
If you don't get to shoot often, I wouldn't wrap up a bunch of money in an optic. I'd get a decent budget red dot like a Holosun, and spend the rest on ammo. Nice optics are not worth much if you sacrifice your ammo fund, unless you just want to stare at it.

FortTom
12 June 2017, 19:30

If you're up to building a 3 gun course, then why are you asking us for a specific optic? Not trying to be a dick, but if you're that advanced, why are you asking about quality optics? Surely you wouldn't be an ass kicking hard core 3 gun course competitor, then ask about cheap optics?

mustangfreek
14 June 2017, 03:55
I'd skip the 3 gun idea yet and just get some trigger time in.

Don't forget to stock up on ammo and mags as well

Stickman
14 June 2017, 20:12
I'd buy that Vortex Strike Eagle.