PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Silencer Shop Kiosks

alamo5000
12 June 2017, 18:20
I currently own two suppressors and naturally want more of them. Turns out I was down close by a gun shop today so I decided to check out the Silencer Shop kiosk there and see what it was all about or how it would work. It was only about 30-40 minutes from my house in the next town over.

Long story short it was very easy. As in extremely easy to deal with.

I called Silencer Shop and asked them what to do and because I was a previous customer they kept my trust stuff on file. The guy on the phone sent me a QR code to my email right there on the spot.

1. I opened my email and held my phone up to the camera on the kiosk so it could read the QR code. It then brought up my trust info and all that stuff.
2. After that it was very simple. Just follow the directions. I swiped my driver's license and it populated the information which I reviewed and approved.
3. I did my electronic finger prints. It wasn't super time consuming but it took about 10 minutes. The machine gives you instant feedback if your print is good, fair, or bad, and gives you the option to redo it as needed. Naturally you have to do all 10 fingers in various formats.
4. I used my finger to do a signature and answered all the standard 'are you a felon or a fugitive from justice' questions, approved my data and that was it.

The whole thing was maybe 20 minutes tops. It took me a little longer to do my finger prints because I was trying to figure out how sensitive the machine was, and let's face it, I've never been printed before so I had to redo it a couple of times until they were all legible. (They are either red or green depending on how good the print is---but the machine tells you right there if it's good or not)

The next step is you down load an app from Silencer Shop to your phone and take and upload a selfie.

**Note, each 'responsible person' on your trust will have to have their own login at Silencer Shop that is attached to that trust on file. In my case my dad is the only other person on my trust. I just have to get him to create a login at the Silencer Shop website and go do his prints and to take a selfie under his login. (I cannot use my login to take his photo for example).

Once all that information is uploaded it stays on file. You don't have to keep on redoing it every time, but supposedly if your picture gets too old you have to take another selfie and update it but that's done from the app.

The cool thing is once you're up and running you can just go online and and order as soon as you have enough money to pay for the silencers.

I was pretty surprised at how easy the whole thing was. Please note this is currently the procedure that I went through for an existing trust that was around prior to 41F. As an existing customer the procedure is pretty simple to be honest. If you are a new buyer once you get all the trust and all that sorted out you have to upload it (signed and notarized etc in PDF) to Silencer Shop as you make the purchase. After that you just follow the procedures I outlined here.

Another bonus is that once you're all uploaded you are not required to use that dealer. You can pick anyone on their 'Powered By' network. There are a few closer to me so I might use them simply because it's so close.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I will get my dad down there and will get my finances in order so that I can purchase a few cans. I am looking at possibly two or three of them which if possible I will do all at once and just get it over with.

___

Side note: for those of you who don't have a Trust set up already that is a whole animal unto itself. You have to follow your state laws and rules and all that... and to be honest that part was 20x more complicated than the actual purchase (and in this case submitting your prints and stuff). For me my biggest hurdle of getting into the NFA thing was the actual setting up of the Trust itself. I didn't understand it so it really put me off and delayed me getting into NFA (that was my biggest hurdle)...but if you are on the fence about getting into NFA stuff once you get past that part it's really and honestly not hard.

cjd3
12 June 2017, 18:37
The cool thing is once you're up and running you can just go online and and order as soon as you have enough money to pay for the silencers.
That's not how it's supposed to work. [:)]

Glad It's easy. I was on the cusp of 41F, and unfortunate had to send the documents the via snail mail to Silencer Shop last year. The SID rollout was delayed locally, and I didn't want to wait any longer (2 months already). I heard there may be a charge to use it at the shop if you don't plan on using them as the final form 4 destination. There is one in town (state) and while the guy seems nice, I'd rather do business with the my current FFL. Thanks for the hands on.

BoilerUp
12 June 2017, 18:45
Good to hear. I just purchased a Griffin Revolution 9 from silencershop over the weekend and am using the Pantel Tactical who has a kiosk (I ordered online). It looks like they won't start the Form 4 until the Form 3 has been processed.

alamo5000
12 June 2017, 18:49
Good to hear. I just purchased a Griffin Revolution 9 from silencershop over the weekend and am using the Pantel Tactical who has a kiosk (I ordered online). It looks like they won't start the Form 4 until the Form 3 has been processed.

They do the form 3 and wait like 2 or 3 weeks then submit the form 4. We had a really long discussion about this before.

BTW you have made an EXCELLENT choice. Griffin Recce 5 and the Revolution 9 is one of the cans I have already. It's seriously awesome. I am debating getting a second one as part of my buying spree.

Edit: It's possible that they changed the procedure but historically they have been submitting form 4's while the form 3's are still in process.

alamo5000
12 June 2017, 18:55
That's not how it's supposed to work. [:)]

Glad It's easy. I was on the cusp of 41F, and unfortunate had to send the documents the via snail mail to Silencer Shop last year. The SID rollout was delayed locally, and I didn't want to wait any longer (2 months already). I heard there may be a charge to use it at the shop if you don't plan on using them as the final form 4 destination. There is one in town (state) and while the guy seems nice, I'd rather do business with the my current FFL. Thanks for the hands on.

I heard that you might get charged too, but honestly I don't know how they could keep track of that. Just seeing how it works there is no way for them to know if you are complete or not or if you need 1 more person (like me) or 3 more people. Could be that guy down in that shop was just a nice guy.

I asked him about the kiosk and he was kind of older so he told me 'you need to call them and ask how to work the damn thing' LOL.

Long story short the data gets uploaded to Silencer Shop not the local dealer so how could they track it or know any different? They can't.

UWone77
12 June 2017, 19:02
Never used the Kiosk, but my experience using Silencer Shop for a KAC SBR/Suppressor has been top notch so far. They update you every step of the way.

Now that Rainier is a Powered by Dealer, I'm sure I'll use them more often.

I need a Surefire SOCOM Mini!

alamo5000
12 June 2017, 19:10
Never used the Kiosk, but my experience using Silencer Shop for a KAC SBR/Suppressor has been top notch so far. They update you every step of the way.

Now that Rainier is a Powered by Dealer, I'm sure I'll use them more often.

I need a Surefire SOCOM Mini!

I don't know if you do it as a trust or individual but for me, the fact that they kept all the info including a copy of the trust on file it makes it super easy. Once I did the first one, getting my second can was super easy. Then 41F came (as did a bunch of other personal stuff preventing me from getting in before the rule change)....but now I am pretty much convinced that the post 41F world is not hard to deal with (at least with Silencer Shop).

That said I could see that possibly some smaller less organized shops might screw it up or require you to manually go get finger printed etc etc. I talked to one in town here that wasn't with Silencer Shop and the biggest difference was they wanted me to get manual finger print cards for each purchase. That's something like an additional $20 per person (here) for each person on the trust for each purchase.

Also it's an additional $15 per person (or more) for passport photos to do it manually as well.

alamo5000
12 June 2017, 19:15
In my case with two people on the trust that is $20 each ($40 total) that the local police charge to do your finger prints manually.
Then you need however many passport photos and those are $15 per set ($30 at least) for two people.

Having two people on the trust would cost me at least an extra $70 for each can. If I had 4 people on the trust it would be an extra $140 per can to do it manually.

Silencer Shop
13 June 2017, 08:04
Glad it was a smooth process for you. Lots of good stuff coming in the future. Like the ability to do Form 1's through our system.

mustangfreek
14 June 2017, 04:15
Alot of good info Alamo , thanks for sharing. I have many questions here and in the trust/individual thing like your saying as Im not 100% sure.

UW - is rainier getting a kiosk?

alamo5000
14 June 2017, 09:42
Alot of good info Alamo , thanks for sharing. I have many questions here and in the trust/individual thing like your saying as Im not 100% sure.

UW - is rainier getting a kiosk?

No problem. You're welcome.

You might want to ask about the trust stuff but as far as I know the specific details of lining up a trust depends on your state laws about them. I'm sure others around here that are in the same state as you can provide basic guidelines. In Texas it was easy. If I recall I had my trust ready for signatures in 24 hours. Just taking it in to get it all notarized and having everyone there was the PITA part.

Once you get the trust uploaded to SS website the rest is pretty easy provided you can get everyone to a kiosk.

Honestly 41F, fingerprints, the new process and all the changes I think have contributed a lot to overall silencer sales, or rather a slowdown in them. Obviously it's not the only thing but it's one of them.

alamo5000
14 June 2017, 09:56
Glad it was a smooth process for you. Lots of good stuff coming in the future. Like the ability to do Form 1's through our system.

One thing that I wasn't 100% clear on is if or how often you have to update things. The guy on the phone said if your picture is too old you have to update it with the app, but I am not sure how old is old.

Also I would assume once you uploaded the finger prints provided nobody changes on your trust then that part is just done.

I thought it was pretty clear but just to make sure once all the details are uploaded you can do multiple purchases and eventually Form 1 as well. Can you give us a sneak peek into the Form 1 process? Would I still need to log in to that damn ATF site or would it all be done through your site?

BoilerUp
14 June 2017, 14:20

I highly recommend Northwest Gun Law Group (Dennis Brislawn) out of Bellevue. A bit more expensive than many options (especially if you go with the Silver Trust), but you are getting support and legal advice from a very respected gun trust lawyer. I actually approached him with the intent to get a Gold Trust and he down-sold me to a Silver and still spent about 2 hours talking to me over the course of two discussions.

mustangfreek
15 June 2017, 07:51
Ya I have heard nothing but good things about them boiler.

Silencer Shop
15 June 2017, 13:44
One thing that I wasn't 100% clear on is if or how often you have to update things. The guy on the phone said if your picture is too old you have to update it with the app, but I am not sure how old is old.

Also I would assume once you uploaded the finger prints provided nobody changes on your trust then that part is just done.

I thought it was pretty clear but just to make sure once all the details are uploaded you can do multiple purchases and eventually Form 1 as well. Can you give us a sneak peek into the Form 1 process? Would I still need to log in to that damn ATF site or would it all be done through your site?

Once the photo is over a year we delete it. So if you file a form over a year from now then we will send you an email to take the photo again.

On the prints those stay on file. One and done.

For form 1's they will go through our site. For someone like yourself that is already in the system it should take less than 2 minutes to do.

alamo5000
15 June 2017, 13:49
Once the photo is over a year we delete it. So if you file a form over a year from now then we will send you an email to take the photo again.

On the prints those stay on file. One and done.

For form 1's they will go through our site. For someone like yourself that is already in the system it should take less than 2 minutes to do.

Less than 2 minutes?! I just got a stiffy. [BD]

My first order of business right now is to get my dad to create a log in and take the drive over so we can get his prints in the system. The rest is cake.

Sak007
15 June 2017, 20:26
I do all the nfa paperwork at my shop and I see 5320.4's & 5320.23's in my nightmares , i'm a damn human kiosk .

fledge
16 June 2017, 08:26
Is there a way to search for kiosks? No powered dealers near me have one. But when I'm on the road, I could find one and get in the system without having to do all the manual prints and mailing, etc, when I purchase.

Joelski
16 June 2017, 08:36
I do all the nfa paperwork at my shop and I see 5320.4's & 5320.23's in my nightmares , i'm a damn human kiosk .

My guy does the same thing... minus the prints, which is the biggest part of the suck. They need to figure out a peripheral they can ship to their powered by dealers that don't have the room to house a full-size kiosk. Print scanners aren't that expensive, and SiCo should foot the bill. That's a word-of-mouth home run.

alamo5000
16 June 2017, 09:36
Is there a way to search for kiosks? No powered dealers near me have one. But when I'm on the road, I could find one and get in the system without having to do all the manual prints and mailing, etc, when I purchase.

Yes easily. Go on Silencer Shop's website and click on any product. Put in a zip code and search. Any of the dealers that have a blue fingerprint logo on them will have a kiosk. I think you are in Colorado right? I put in a zip for Denver and there was a few with kiosks on there. Once you are in the system you can pick any Powered By dealer and go with them.

If you have a trust though all the people on the trust have to go get their prints done too though. As Jeremy said 'one and done'.

fledge
16 June 2017, 09:45
Ah, there's a fingerprint logo! That helps. I overlooked that.

Edit: looks like nearest to me is 3+hrs away. Maybe the paper method isn't so bad...

gatordev
16 June 2017, 13:19
You can also just Google "silencer shop kiosks" and the first link will take you to the store search engine (sorted by zip or state).