PDA

View Full Version : CMT 308 is Ready

Pyzik
13 June 2017, 05:25
First off, BIG thanks to Uwone for the help with the barrel!

Finally got this head spaced and torqued yesterday. Though, grabbing everything for the pic I realized I haven't picked up a mag yet... Doh!
I'll be grabbing a mag from my LGS and some ammo. Will be shooting it this weekend sans optic. That's the next buy. Just waiting on some funds. Shouldn't be much longer.

Do also still need to pick up another ABCr, sorry Roger, my M&P has been eating all my money with ammo and range time.

Flickr isn't working. Lets see if this does.

Tyrannosaur
13 June 2017, 05:51
That's pretty friggun awesome looking. Can't wait to see how it shoots.

alamo5000
13 June 2017, 08:01
That looks fantastic.

I was on the cusp of building one just like that before everything kinda went to chaos and I had to wait.

I am definitely looking forward to a range report.

Jerry R
13 June 2017, 08:18
Very nicely done Sir!

SINNER
13 June 2017, 08:28
Very nice. Just don't forget your earpro with a .308 that short running a brake. Lol

Pyzik
13 June 2017, 08:41
Thanks guys.

Very nice. Just don't forget your earpro with a .308 that short running a brake. Lol

Yeah, I've already been thinking it's gonna be loud. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Default.mp3
13 June 2017, 10:08
Weight? What barrel?

Pyzik
13 June 2017, 10:14
Weight? What barrel?

Rainier 16" middy. (again, thanks Uwone).

Weight, unsure. I don't a good scale but I can try. It's lighter than the 556 SPR I just put together.

Slippers
13 June 2017, 10:33
You'll probably want to double up if you're under a roof. Even a flash hider on a 16" .308 is concussive. :)

Dstrbdmedic167
13 June 2017, 14:53
You'll probably want to double up if you're under a roof. Even a flash hider on a 16" .308 is concussive. :)

Like rattle your teeth concussive....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joelski
13 June 2017, 15:50
https://media.makeameme.org/created/looking-good-girl.jpg

mustangfreek
14 June 2017, 04:20
I'm digging all the fde lately and that thing looks great. I'll bet it's a bit violent with that 16" barrel..

I'd like to do about the same , maybe a 18" .

Pyzik
14 June 2017, 08:43
I'm digging all the fde lately and that thing looks great. I'll bet it's a bit violent with that 16" barrel..

Yeah, I keep hearing that with the 308 & 16" barrel... LOL
CMT has their forward blast device for 30cal. Perhaps after this weekend I'll want to look at it.

Former11B
14 June 2017, 09:39

Especially with that 3 port brake.

I was on the line next to a Lantac Dragon last weekend, and the guy's first shot blew my hat off my head, and after that, I was getting showered with paint flakes coming off one of the support columns nearby

Then there was the guy with the FAL and his 3-port brake doing some 50 yard plinking when I shot in May. Talk about ringing your bell after a couple mags.

gatordev
14 June 2017, 13:30
Yeah, I keep hearing that with the 308 & 16" barrel... LOL
CMT has their forward blast device for 30cal. Perhaps after this weekend I'll want to look at it.

I'll be interested to hear how the gas system works for you. The 16" 308 that I had all the gas issues with was a RA barrel, so hopefully you won't have the same issue. If you do, at least I can give you a recommendation on a band-aid fix.

Pyzik
14 June 2017, 15:29
I'll be interested to hear how the gas system works for you. The 16" 308 that I had all the gas issues with was a RA barrel, so hopefully you won't have the same issue. If you do, at least I can give you a recommendation on a band-aid fix.
Well hopefully I don't need to ask you. I'll report back after this weekend.

alamo5000
14 June 2017, 17:54
I am excited to hear a range report. I have been wanting to build a rifle just like this for quite some time.

Any plans to suppress that sucker?

Pyzik
14 June 2017, 18:02
I am excited to hear a range report. I have been wanting to build a rifle just like this for quite some time.

Any plans to suppress that sucker?
I keep saying it.... some day

alamo5000
14 June 2017, 18:21
I keep saying it.... some day

I was just on Silencer Shops site and for a .22 can, another Recce 5, and a Recce 7 the sum total tax and all is less than $2500 bucks for all three. Plus I would get $400 in online store credit from Griffin too.

Hopefully before I leave to move overseas I can take care of all that. Financially if nothing big comes up I might be able to pull it off in a month from now.

I don't even have a .308 except for an AK which I won't be suppressing. A gun like you built though.... man... that's on my dream list. You can easily take that thing out past 800 yards.

alamo5000
14 June 2017, 18:50
Another question... maybe I missed it, but what kind of BCG did you pick?

When I was contemplating starting a .308 build this is one part that I found limited choices on.

Pyzik
15 June 2017, 06:20

When I was contemplating starting a .308 build this is one part that I found limited choices on.

I went with an AIM Nickel Boron. I can keep the thread updated with how things are going.

mustangfreek
15 June 2017, 08:39
Again, that thing turned out great pyzik. Wish I was closer I'd ask to come hang and shoot that beast.

Especially with that 3 port brake.
I was on the line next to a Lantac Dragon last weekend, and the guy's first shot blew my hat off my head, and after that, I was getting showered with paint flakes coming off one of the support columns nearby

Sorry.........[BD]

As, I just shot that green rifle I posted lately with the Lantac on it, first time I've had one or anything similar...lol..sucker is rowdy and loud...I can only imagine when I hit the actually range what kind of friends I acquire...[:D]

Big_Tom
16 June 2017, 20:36
Nice looking rifle. Having not owning anything CMT they really make some really good eye candy.

UWone77
16 June 2017, 21:01
Nice looking rifle. Having not owning anything CMT they really make some really good eye candy.

Tom, you should remedy that right away! [:)]

I like CMT Stuff. It's amazing to see how fast and far they've grown since introducing their original receiver set.

Big_Tom
17 June 2017, 20:52
Tom, you should remedy that right away! [:)]

I like CMT Stuff. It's amazing to see how fast and far they've grown since introducing their original receiver set.

Yeah I know. I've got my anniversary themed builds I'm working on now for my wife's and mine anniversary. I may need to put some CMT into them.

Big_Tom
18 June 2017, 19:28

Alamo, there's a lot more choices now than there has been. just depends on how much you wanna spend. Aim has 2 choices, Lantac, Rainier, Faxon (I have one in my 308), Aero, and some others.

Well hopefully I don't need to ask you. I'll report back after this weekend.

DP, hope you got a chance to make it out to the range this weekend. Interested on hearing how it did.

Pyzik
18 June 2017, 20:01
Alamo, there's a lot more choices now than there has been. just depends on how much you wanna spend. Aim has 2 choices, Lantac, Rainier, Faxon (I have one in my 308), Aero, and some others.

DP, hope you got a chance to make it out to the range this weekend. Interested on hearing how it did.
I did but there were so many other toys I barely shot my guns. In fact only put a box of ammo through this and one box through my Saiga.

The rifle seemed like it was under gassed. Brass wasn't being ejected very far at all and I had one failure to eject (stove pipe).

I'll be hitting the range again as soon as I can.

Pyzik
19 June 2017, 11:26
Me getting a few shots in.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4290/35383229035_53537c810e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VUGig2)
CMT 308 (https://flic.kr/p/VUGig2) by Damage Photos (https://www.flickr.com/photos/damagephotos/), on Flickr

Here is Matt (EverydayCivilian) doing the same.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4234/35242558392_999accf453_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VGgjM7)
CMT 308 (https://flic.kr/p/VGgjM7) by Damage Photos (https://www.flickr.com/photos/damagephotos/), on Flickr

gatordev
19 June 2017, 14:01
The rifle seemed like it was under gassed. Brass wasn't being ejected very far at all and I had one failure to eject (stove pipe).

I hope I'm wrong, but looking at your pics, and hearing what you're saying, it sounds like the gun is over-gassed, just like mine. Will be interested to hear what you say after you shoot it some more.

mustangfreek
20 June 2017, 01:37
What buffer tube/ spring and weight buffer you running here David?

Pyzik
20 June 2017, 03:08
What buffer tube/ spring and weight buffer you running here David?
Carbine buffer with a standard spring and AR10 CAR 3.8 oz buffer

Big_Tom
20 June 2017, 11:00
Carbine buffer with a standard spring and AR10 CAR 3.8 oz buffer

I'm assuming it's Armalite style receiver extension and spring/buffer combo.

From what I used and read it should be the most reliable and smoothest buffer system for a 308 carbine.

Pyzik
20 June 2017, 11:05
I'm assuming it's Armalite style receiver extension and spring/buffer combo.

From what I used and read it should be the most reliable and smoothest buffer system for a 308 carbine.
Yep, it's an AR10 extension and buffer, ect.

It may have just needed more lube. I'll be hitting the range again here soon. Probably not this weekend but the weekend after.

mustangfreek
21 June 2017, 03:51
Right on , just didn't see it listed.

Probably just fine, first time out, maybe some weak ammo , lube it up and shoot it...[:D]

Slippers
21 June 2017, 03:56
Sounds overgassed to me, too. You want an A5 length receiver extension (which it sounds like you have), rifle length spring, and most likely an H3 buffer.

Pyzik
21 June 2017, 04:03
Sounds overgassed to me, too. You want an A5 length receiver extension (which it sounds like you have), rifle length spring, and most likely an H3 buffer.
Just double checked exactly what I have. It's a standard AR tube and spring with a CAR-10 buffer.

gatordev
21 June 2017, 04:17
Just double checked exactly what I have. It's a standard AR tube and spring with a CAR-10 buffer.

I ran that setup initially, as well, and it wasn't anywhere near enough. The A5 helped a little, but was still a band-aid fix.

Sorry for continuing to be a Debbie-Downer, I know you need to go shoot it some more before diagnosing anything. For me, I'm generally interested if I got a lemon or if yours indicates that's just how they're built.

Pyzik
21 June 2017, 04:25
I ran that setup initially, as well, and it wasn't anywhere near enough. The A5 helped a little, but was still a band-aid fix.

Sorry for continuing to be a Debbie-Downer, I know you need to go shoot it some more before diagnosing anything. For me, I'm generally interested if I got a lemon or if yours indicates that's just how they're built.
Well good to know. I doubt I'll make the range this week or weekend.

Maybe next week. I have a shoot with some friends coming up again at the beginning of next month so I have that coming up at least.

Slippers
21 June 2017, 06:16

A car10 buffer is an H3 cut down in length and drops a tungsten weight, so it's lighter than an H2. Way too light for a 308, unless it's one of Slash's.

I would definitely switch out the extension to an A5 length and use an H3 (not A5H3) with an armalite ea1095 spring. The one photo of ejection shows the bolt going forward before the case has barely cleared the port. It's cycling way too fast.

Tyrannosaur
21 June 2017, 07:00
Slippers, which A5 receiver do you recommend. I was going to go with a Vltor branded one but there's two different ones the re-10A5-SR and the just plain A5 receiver extension. Or do you have another recommendation?

Slippers
21 June 2017, 07:30
Slippers, which A5 receiver do you recommend. I was going to go with a Vltor branded one but there's two different ones the re-10A5-SR and the just plain A5 receiver extension. Or do you have another recommendation?

I have a couple made by Vltor but now prefer the BCM A5 extensions because they are machined much nicer, without any sharp edges.

Tyrannosaur
21 June 2017, 08:21
I have a couple made by Vltor but now prefer the BCM A5 extensions because they are machined much nicer, without any sharp edges.

And they're available, so get the BCM A5 with the Armalite Spring (part #EA1095) and an H3 buffer... Or I've seen Springco red spring... Or would you recommend Slashs buffer? Sorry trying to compile all info in one post. I researched and couldnt find a simple, well informed post with everything

Slippers
21 June 2017, 08:34
And they're available, so get the BCM A5 with the Armalite Spring (part #EA1095) and an H3 buffer... Or I've seen Springco red spring... Or would you recommend Slashs buffer? Sorry trying to compile all info in one post. I researched and couldnt find a simple, well informed post with everything

I've used the slash XH but didn't notice any difference whatsoever in my LMT MWS. I sold it and stick to the H3. The Slash buffer is also criminally expensive. I don't like sprinco springs.

BCM A5 extension, H3 buffer and a $6 EA1095 spring will do it.

Pyzik
21 June 2017, 08:39
I've used the slash XH but didn't notice any difference whatsoever in my LMT MWS. I sold it and stick to the H3. The Slash buffer is also criminally expensive. I don't like sprinco springs.

Guess, I'll make the change as well

Tyrannosaur
21 June 2017, 08:41

So much searching and research and this thread is all I ever needed. Thank you, I hope others can benefit from this information too...

SINNER
21 June 2017, 08:46
After building and using about 15 different .308 platforms I came to the conclusion that even Slash's carbine .308 heavy buffers are a band aid and will never run as well as a rifle length extension set up. If the carbine extension is a must then a CAR-10 XH buffer with a Sprinco orange spring has proven to be the best choice for me. I saw 0 difference between a A5 with a XH buffer (A5 extensions can use a standard AR15 length buffer even with .308's) with one of Slash's springs and the standard AR15 tube with a Sprinco orange spring. Also I am not a fan of the springs he sells. When I see surface rust on a spring less than a month old I tend to suspect the quality of the spring immediately.

Big_Tom
21 June 2017, 08:51

The only different is the A5 has 7 positions and the A5-SR has 6 positions. Dont quote me be I think the A5 will just allow you stock retract the extra notch. But it does depend on which stock you decide to go with. Dsgarms.com has the A5-SR instock and it's the one I have.

Knew Magpul has a few options in the A5 RE category and didn't know BCM had one

SINNER
21 June 2017, 09:03
Good video of the different tubes and stock compatibility.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrVJT4UU10

gatordev
21 June 2017, 15:07
After building and using about 15 different .308 platforms I came to the conclusion that even Slash's carbine .308 heavy buffers are a band aid and will never run as well as a rifle length extension set up. If the carbine extension is a must then a CAR-10 XH buffer with a Sprinco orange spring has proven to be the best choice for me. I saw 0 difference between a A5 with a XH buffer (A5 extensions can use a standard AR15 length buffer even with .308's) with one of Slash's springs and the standard AR15 tube with a Sprinco orange spring. Also I am not a fan of the springs he sells. When I see surface rust on a spring less than a month old I tend to suspect the quality of the spring immediately.

Between Sinner's and Slipper's input when I was having issues, I went through both Slash configs and then A5 configs. I can't comment on spring corrosion (though I'll go look), but at the end of the day, none of the various setups fixed the overall issue of over-gassing, as Sinner is saying. Even with the A5, shooting this barrel was "stout." Put a suppressor on it and it was downright domestic violence. At the end of the day, throwing more money at the problem and buying the Gemtech carrier made the system much friendlier, but it just irked me that that had to be the solution.

Big_Tom
21 June 2017, 18:39
Between Sinner's and Slipper's input when I was having issues, I went through both Slash configs and then A5 configs. I can't comment on spring corrosion (though I'll go look), but at the end of the day, none of the various setups fixed the overall issue of over-gassing, as Sinner is saying. Even with the A5, shooting this barrel was "stout." Put a suppressor on it and it was downright domestic violence. At the end of the day, throwing more money at the problem and buying the Gemtech carrier made the system much friendlier, but it just irked me that that had to be the solution.

I don't think there are many 308 ARs out there that aren't overgassed. It's almost hereditary. I see and hear about it all the time. Installing adjustable gas systems is best way to take care of it.

Default.mp3
21 June 2017, 20:03
I don't like sprinco springs.Why don't you like Sprinco springs?

Slippers
22 June 2017, 04:28
Why don't you like Sprinco springs?

They rust like crazy in NC humidity. I could care less about their supposed longevity when they cost 3-4x as much as a Colt spring. And I avoid running extra power springs as much as possible because I don't like how the extra bolt velocity causes the gun to rock forward when the bolt closes.

If you're happy with your sprinco springs rock on. Iraqgunz is a perfect example of someone I trust who uses sprinco, but they aren't for me.

SINNER
22 June 2017, 05:56
Funny because I live about 500' from the Chesapeake bay and I've never seen a spot of rust on a Sprinco spring. I have been lightly greasing all my springs for years now so that may be why.

The spring I got from Heavybuffers was actually rusted so much I could see it under the stock when it was extended. Rust particles were coming out of the relief hole.

Slippers
22 June 2017, 06:12
Funny because I live about 500' from the Chesapeake bay and I've never seen a spot of rust on a Sprinco spring. I have been lightly greasing all my springs for years now so that may be why.

The spring I got from Heavybuffers was actually rusted so much I could see it under the stock when it was extended. Rust particles were coming out of the relief hole.

Someone asked me why I don't like them, and I answered. I'm not giving anyone grief for using them, but I personally don't like them. If you're happy with sprinco, cool.

SINNER
22 June 2017, 09:03
Not questioning your experience or preference at all. Just stating mine because it was different.

Joelski
22 June 2017, 10:05
I pulled my JP springs out the other day and they're just as shiny as they were when new. What is this rust issue you speak of? [:)]

gatordev
22 June 2017, 14:10
I don't think there are many 308 ARs out there that aren't overgassed. It's almost hereditary. I see and hear about it all the time. Installing adjustable gas systems is best way to take care of it.

That answer is a cop out to me. I understand why manufacturers over-gas their barrels, but it still drives me crazy. Build it to the NATO spec. But then Joe-Bob buys cheap, weak ammo and the upper doesn't run! Well, then many 308 isn't for you...

But this is an argument/discussion that's been had here before. For me, I'm shooting spec or near spec ammo, so I'd prefer a gas port that matches that. I also don't want to have to deal with an adjustable gas block, no matter how good and how well it's supposed to hold the setting. It would just be nice to have manufacturers specify what they've built their product to support. Sadly, this was not the case with my Rainier barrel and it ended up costing me more money to get it to a point where it ran reliably when I could have just gone with another barrel from the beginning.

fledge
22 June 2017, 14:25
It would just be nice to have manufacturers specify what they've built their product to support.

I wish they would at least specify the ammo they use for testing. For not even all quality ammo has the same pressure. My SPR will not cycle Magtech 77gr. It will cycle 55gr federal bulk Walmart ammo without issue. Go figure.

gatordev
22 June 2017, 15:12
Wurd.

Big_Tom
22 June 2017, 18:42
That answer is a cop out to me. I understand why manufacturers over-gas their barrels, but it still drives me crazy. Build it to the NATO spec. But then Joe-Bob buys cheap, weak ammo and the upper doesn't run! Well, then many 308 isn't for you...

But this is an argument/discussion that's been had here before. For me, I'm shooting spec or near spec ammo, so I'd prefer a gas port that matches that. I also don't want to have to deal with an adjustable gas block, no matter how good and how well it's supposed to hold the setting. It would just be nice to have manufacturers specify what they've built their product to support. Sadly, this was not the case with my Rainier barrel and it ended up costing me more money to get it to a point where it ran reliably when I could have just gone with another barrel from the beginning.

You are exactly right. They the manufacturers need to do more research but that cost money and time. And I should have put it's a remedy for the issue but not the correct fix. Adjustable gas systems should've there if you want really fine tune the system not to fix the issue.

Slippers
23 June 2017, 08:21
Guess, I'll make the change as well

You know, it's probably cheaper/easier to just change to an adjustable gas block. That'll resolve everything.

Pyzik
23 June 2017, 09:03
You know, it's probably cheaper/easier to just change to an adjustable gas block. That'll resolve everything.
You reading my mind? Or my search history?

Been going over just that. I really do want to keep the carbine length extension.

Slippers
23 June 2017, 09:41

Been going over just that. I really do want to keep the carbine length extension.

Haha, I was just doing the math on component costs, that's all. Plus the gas block will be nice WHEN you get your first suppressor. :)

Dstrbdmedic167
23 June 2017, 13:18

Still got one that's not getting utilized...

Pyzik
27 June 2017, 06:38
Thanks Uwone for the deal on the scope and Mustangfreek for the PIF on the mount. Just sitting on the rifle for a quick pic. Still think I might need to paint the scope.

Should be able to hit the range this weekend or next week.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4280/34727149924_8d8ae411ba_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/UUHHNd)
Scoped (https://flic.kr/p/UUHHNd) by Damage Photos (https://www.flickr.com/photos/damagephotos/), on Flickr

Dstrbdmedic167
27 June 2017, 07:47
Looks great as is!

Joelski
27 June 2017, 13:34
Indeed.

Big_Tom
27 June 2017, 22:43
Really makes me want to get broker than I am already and buy a scope for mine. I hate Ramon Noodles.

Pyzik
14 January 2018, 21:37
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4723/38989942754_c33683d915_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22ppDAj)
308 (https://flic.kr/p/22ppDAj) by Damage Photos (https://www.flickr.com/photos/damagephotos/), on Flickr

Joelski
15 January 2018, 04:06
Really makes me want to get broker than I am already and buy a scope for mine. I hate Ramon Noodles.Mac-n-cheese, man. For the boomer side of gen. X

SINNER
15 January 2018, 06:33
I really need to stop slacking and order Some of Jeff’s .308 sets. Looks killer Pyzik.

Pyzik
15 January 2018, 07:28
I really need to stop slacking and order Some of Jeff’s .308 sets. Looks killer Pyzik.Thanks. He makes some great looking sets.

mustangfreek
16 January 2018, 02:04
I love this rifle..

Got any good trigger time/ammo thru it ..to see how she shoots?

Pyzik
16 January 2018, 04:36
I love this rifle..

Got any good trigger time/ammo thru it ..to see how she shoots?

I'm a terrible owner to this 308. I've hardly shot it. Still has gas issues. I talked with Jeff and removed an O ring from the BCG. Still need to see if that helped.

gatordev
16 January 2018, 12:58
I'm a terrible owner to this 308. I've hardly shot it. Still has gas issues. I talked with Jeff and removed an O ring from the BCG. Still need to see if that helped.

This was your Ranier barrel, correct? I'm still trying to unload mine. No takers on ARF, albeit with a soft market.

mustangfreek
17 January 2018, 01:02

Lol..

What ammo, like cheap steel stuff or Decent brass.?

Pyzik
18 January 2018, 07:35
Lol..

What ammo, like cheap steel stuff or Decent brass.?

It has all been x51. I forget the brand. Decent stuff.

Pyzik
20 April 2018, 07:32
Hit the range yesterday with 120 rounds. A mix of cheap wolf 308 and whatever 7.62 I had left over.

Started off TERRIBLE. Stove pipe after stove pipe. Then the bolt would get stuck in the chamber and I'd have to mortar it. Was using quite a bit of lube.

After about 40 rounds she cleared up and ran fine the remainder of the rounds. Not sure what happened or if it's a fluke.
I do have the springco spring in it from FortTom.

I started recording myself to try and diagnose it. I was getting pretty frustrated.

https://youtu.be/Vwcbwz9h3xM

Pyzik
20 April 2018, 07:32
It was after that video that it cleared up.

https://youtu.be/pQb2csecwF8

gatordev
20 April 2018, 13:16
If it's that same Rainier barrel, I'm telling you that's the problem. Once I put a can on mine it became completely unusable without buying more parts to fix it, and even then, it's abusive to shoot. I haven't listed my barrel on sale here just out of respect for the members.

SINNER
20 April 2018, 13:40
Every .308 I’ve ever built with a carbine buffer tube runs like shit compared to a rifle buffer. And I have 2 6.5CM and 2 .308 Rainier UM barrels and they are no better or no worse than my Noveske, BA, JP and numerous other barrels.

Rifle buffer tube, Slash’s XH buffer and a Sprinco green rifle spring has been the ticket on every one. Supressed or not.

Orange Extra power carbine spring has been partially acceptable on some builds but only with a buffer stuffed with tungsten weights. Even the heavy carbine buffer results in oversped BCG’s.

UWone77
20 April 2018, 15:35
Interesting.

I've had luck running a carbine receiver extension + a 308 buffer and spring. Then again my sample size with a 308 is much smaller than with my AR15 collection. I think I have like a total of 6 AR10's.

I haven't shot a Rainier Barrel suppressed though, only suppressed setup I'm running is with an old Mega stamped 308 16" Barrel. I'll have to throw a can on one of my Rainier 308 barrels and see what it does.

gatordev
21 April 2018, 04:37
Even after an A5 and Slash's buffer/spring combo, the gun ran very rough. It would cycle unsuppressed, but it was a brutal recoil. Suppressed and it was hit and miss. The only thing that made it run 100% was then buying a gassed carrier, but even then, it was still pushing a lot of energy back at the shooter. I eventually ended up taking it all apart and the barrel is sitting, waiting to be sold.

Slippers
21 April 2018, 05:25
308 ARs are finicky beasts, which is why Rich and I always preach factory guns. If you build one, though, you should absolutely use an adjustable gas block, gauge the chamber, and check the headspace.

Buffer/spring/tube configuration is always confusing, so just remember that a 308 carrier is longer. These combinations work together:

A5 buffer tube with H3 carbine buffer (NOT an A5H3 buffer) and Armalite EA1095 spring

Rifle buffer tube with Armalite AR10 rifle buffer (shorter than AR15 rifle buffer) and EA1095 spring.

DPMS also makes a shorter carbine buffer if you insist on using an AR15 carbine length buffer tube, but it's the worst possible combination.

The 308 BCG is bigger and heavier, so you need the armalite spring and a fairly heavy buffer to counteract it. I have never seen Slash's super heavy buffer help, though, and find it to be ridiculously overpriced. No use for sprinco springs, either.

UWone77
21 April 2018, 08:13
Even after an A5 and Slash's buffer/spring combo, the gun ran very rough. It would cycle unsuppressed, but it was a brutal recoil. Suppressed and it was hit and miss. The only thing that made it run 100% was then buying a gassed carrier, but even then, it was still pushing a lot of energy back at the shooter. I eventually ended up taking it all apart and the barrel is sitting, waiting to be sold.

Let me talk to the guys next week and see if we can work something out for you. How long ago did you buy that barrel?

BoilerUp
21 April 2018, 10:45
308 ARs are finicky beasts, which is why Rich and I always preach factory guns. If you build one, though, you should absolutely use an adjustable gas block, gauge the chamber, and check the headspace.

Buffer/spring/tube configuration is always confusing, so just remember that a 308 carrier is longer. These combinations work together:

A5 buffer tube with H3 carbine buffer (NOT an A5H3 buffer) and Armalite EA1095 spring

Rifle buffer tube with Armalite AR10 rifle buffer (shorter than AR15 rifle buffer) and EA1095 spring.

DPMS also makes a shorter carbine buffer if you insist on using an AR15 carbine length buffer tube, but it's the worst possible combination.

The 308 BCG is bigger and heavier, so you need the armalite spring and a fairly heavy buffer to counteract it. I have never seen Slash's super heavy buffer help, though, and find it to be ridiculously overpriced. No use for sprinco springs, either.

Well, that's about as concise as an explanation of 308 buffer/spring/tubes as I've ever seen. FWIW, Aero uses the AR15 carbine w/ DPMS 308 carbine buffer I had no problems, but it is paired with an AGB. I use SLR Sentry AGBs on my two large frame builds (one Aero M5, one 2A Xanthos) and have been able to tune the gas for each reliably. Still waiting on my .30 cal can, though, so no comments for suppressed use, but I expect to dial the gas back a notch or two and be GTG.

UWone77
21 April 2018, 11:04
308 ARs are finicky beasts, which is why Rich and I always preach factory guns.

Missed this the first time around.

But yes, on AR10's I whole heartedly recommend Factory Guns.

I'm sure you guys can build your own just fine, but there are so many more variations and specs to AR10's.

My LMT MWS runs so much better than my other AR10's. I've got a Cross Machine Tool UHP10 that is a close second, but that LMT runs like a sewing machine and is so soft shooting.

gatordev
22 April 2018, 07:14
308 ARs are finicky beasts, which is why Rich and I always preach factory guns.

Completely agree. While it can sometimes be a blunt instrument, my SR-25 has had zero function issues. Since I had the spare receiver parts (Mega) and came across a M110 rail for a song, I figured I'd take the chance.

Let me talk to the guys next week and see if we can work something out for you. How long ago did you buy that barrel?

November 2015. After a pretty epic injury and recovery, and by the time I had it assembled and then tried all the combinations to get it working, I had had it well over a year which was outside the warranty period, and totally my doing, so I never bothered Rainier about it.

UWone77
22 April 2018, 11:34
Completely agree. While it can sometimes be a blunt instrument, my SR-25 has had zero function issues. Since I had the spare receiver parts (Mega) and came across a M110 rail for a song, I figured I'd take the chance.

November 2015. After a pretty epic injury and recovery, and by the time I had it assembled and then tried all the combinations to get it working, I had had it well over a year which was outside the warranty period, and totally my doing, so I never bothered Rainier about it.

Send me a PM with the specs on the barrel, detailed description of what happens suppressed, and I'll see what I can do.