PDA

View Full Version : Ar 15 upper recommendation

trevor20228
15 June 2017, 13:24
I'm looking to build a ar 15 and was wondering what the best upper would be for it

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Dstrbdmedic167
15 June 2017, 13:29
I'll go ahead and beat the rest of the crowd and ask the basic questions. Intended use? Budget? Is this your first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trevor20228
15 June 2017, 13:32
Yah this is my first build so nothing to expensive and just to shoot for fun

Joelski
15 June 2017, 13:38
Check out Andro Corp. Decent prices and great comms.

alamo5000
15 June 2017, 13:44
I'm looking to build a ar 15 and was wondering what the best upper would be for it

Define 'upper'. Are you talking building out a full on upper or are you just talking about the reciever itself?

Either way there are a lot of decent choices out there. My only 'advice' is to go with a known quantity, IE a company that has a good rep and good service.

My personal preference is for matching sets from the same company. Whether it be Aero or CMT or whoever doesn't matter. That is all aesthetics and personal preference.

What's not personal preference is making sure your upper and lower recievers are in spec. All those holes need to line up and be in the right spots.

Stone
15 June 2017, 16:08
Mega Arms Billet Upper Receiver w/ M4 Feed Ramps. And do a mega forged lower, nice solid combo.
http://www.rogtac.com/mega-arms-ar-15-billet-upper-receiver-w-m4-feed-ramps/

UWone77
15 June 2017, 16:13
If this is your first, I'd buy a complete upper. You can't put together an upper without some specific tools. Unless you can borrow them or build the upper at a friends house, I'd stick with a complete upper.

FortTom
15 June 2017, 16:41
+1 Do you know the difference between a roll pin punch and a regular punch? Do you have a reaction bar, or a clam shell? Can you use a torque wrench? Just some things besides your budget that folks are going to take for granted when they recommend an upper receiver, barrel and the other bits and pieces? If the answer is yes, shouldn't be much of a problem, just decide if you want a forward assist or not, go to one of the big vendors on this site like Rainier or Aero Precision, Bravo Company, just about all of them will have something you'll probably like.

If not, I'd just take UWone77's advice and just buy a complete upper.

FT[:D]

BoilerUp
15 June 2017, 18:01
I'm a fan of Aero Precision's stuff. Great price point and typically very good quality. Not top of the line, but I don't consider it "budget", either.

If you want a complete upper, here is a pretty good deal: http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.aero-precision-complete-upper-16-556-carbine-barrel-w-pinned-fsb-m4-handguard-includes-bcg-ch-35-993

If you want to build your first upper, the Aero Precision M4E1 "Enhanced" upper is a great gateway drug to the addiction of building ARs. Pair that with a barrel from Ballistic Advantage with a pinned gas block and you should be able to take care of the rest without too much extra $ on tools and low risk of messing it up.

I have a bit of an irrational bias against Palmetto State Armory, but in reality, they have some good stuff at great prices, too. The problem with PSA is they have some very decent stuff (their "Premium") and some very "budget" stuff (their PTAC line, which I'd avoid) and some stuff in between, so you have to be thoughtful which you buy.

mustangfreek
16 June 2017, 03:17
What the others have said...Plus , do you shoot/own other guns? Have any buddies that can help or do it while letting you watch , etc?

Do you Have a lower already?

Any idea to what you want?

Jerry R
18 June 2017, 08:53
Take a look at Rainier's web site. You can pick and choose all the components you like from various manufacturers, and then Rainier's gunsmiths will assemble it for $100. You can't buy the tools for that amount.