PDA

View Full Version : AR15 build...

peterjack
4 July 2017, 01:03
I've never owned an AR15, shot an M16 in the service and have shot OPs but I decided a few years ago to go AK route as a battle carbine. Great SHTF choice but not very competitive in the 3gun arena.

There is likely a reason I was the only AK shooter at the R&R Racing match this month in Albany, OR. That match bit me bad with the 3gun bug. I kept saying "you know if you could mount a scope on your gun you could compete with a lot of these AR guys."

So since I won a "stubby stock" and redi-mag for an AR15 I don't own, I decided it was the start of my build for next years match.

My goal here is to build a quality shooter (<300 yards) as cheap as I can with the parts I know I like already. Bravocompany is pretty much a one stop shopping place for this so 80% of the stuff comes from there. People I trust say the BCM/LMT stuff is GTG and the price is right so that's where I started.

Trigger wise I'm fine with a 1 stage polished up but my buddy told me the JP spring kit really helps so for $10.00 I'm gonna try it.

Jerry R
4 July 2017, 06:16
Welcome to WEVO.

You might want to visit Rainier Arms also (link on the side panel). They carry everything you would need, from various manufacturers, and have pretty good pricing.

Will be following your progress with interest, keep us posted on the build.

FortTom
4 July 2017, 06:41
Welcome to WEVO.

You might want to visit Rainier Arms also (link on the side panel). They carry everything you would need, from various manufacturers, and have pretty good pricing.

Will be following your progress with interest, keep us posted on the build.

+1 on that. Lately it seems they are in line with everyone else as far as price goes. I've been shopping there more lately. Good service too.

FT[:D]

BoilerUp
4 July 2017, 08:34
Welcome!

It seeems that most of what I've seen hit the market for AKs over the past few years has been designed to help them catch up to the AR in terms of modularity and ergonomics. The aftermarket for ARs and the ease of working on them for the non-gunsmith makes them hard to beat. I love that I can swap out barrels easily w/o having to own or use a 20-ton press. And your buddies steered you strait w/ BCM and LMT. A bit pricey, but fine stuff. BCMs customer service is superb, too. The only downside to BCM is that their upper receivers are extremely difficult to disassemble (barrel and gas block removal) but that isn't an issue for most.

We like pictures here, so looking forward to seeing some from you.

mustangfreek
5 July 2017, 04:15
Have a lower yet?

I was curious about the JP springs awhile back and tried them out on a QMS trigger assembly and for 11 bux it made a slightly better trigger, don't know the weight..but another lower has a qms has more rds thru it and it's butter smooth for a Milspec trigger.. Imo I wouldn't spend much more then that in a mil. trigger . I recently put in a cheap g2s (Black Friday) and its miles better..

And for 3 gun , your probably gonna find that you most likely want a better trigger..

Former11B
5 July 2017, 07:23
I've never owned an AR15, shot an M16 in the service and have shot OPs but I decided a few years ago to go AK route as a battle carbine. Great SHTF choice but not very competitive in the 3gun arena.

There is likely a reason I was the only AK shooter at the R&R Racing match this month in Albany, OR. That match bit me bad with the 3gun bug. I kept saying "you know if you could mount a scope on your gun you could compete with a lot of these AR guys."

So since I won a "stubby stock" and redi-mag for an AR15 I don't own, I decided it was the start of my build for next years match.

My goal here is to build a quality shooter (<300 yards) as cheap as I can with the parts I know I like already. Bravocompany is pretty much a one stop shopping place for this so 80% of the stuff comes from there. People I trust say the BCM/LMT stuff is GTG and the price is right so that's where I started.

Trigger wise I'm fine with a 1 stage polished up but my buddy told me the JP spring kit really helps so for $10.00 I'm gonna try it.

I keep seeing 3.5lb CMC Flat Triggers on sale for like $130.

Mine pulls at 3.2lbs. It's a super trigger for the money.