PDA

View Full Version : Lawmakers introduce SHUSH Act to classify suppressors as gun accessory

alamo5000
9 July 2017, 16:51
"The bill, entered as S.1505 in the Senate and H.R.3139 in the House, would not only remove suppressors from National Firearms Act requirements — a goal of the rival Hearing Protection Act — but also classify them as simple accessories which could be sold over the counter. The Hearing Protection Act, currently with 154 co-sponsors, would eliminate the $200 transfer tax on suppressors by dropping them from NFA rules, but still requires they should be transferred through federal firearms licensees after a background check, regulating them as firearms. Both bills provide for a refund on tax stamps bought since Oct. 22, 2015."

http://www.guns.com/2017/07/05/lawmakers-introduce-shush-act-to-classify-suppressors-as-gun-accessory/

alamo5000
9 July 2017, 16:53
Goes one or two steps beyond the HPA.

voodoo_man
10 July 2017, 06:09
I don't care what you call it, just get it passed.

Joelski
10 July 2017, 07:04
No shit! End my painful wait!

FortTom
10 July 2017, 12:15
I'd sure like to see that pass. I wonder which side of supply/demand that would create? If you could buy them over the counter like a Aimpoint RDS or something, I could foresee, possibly, a mass of people, like myself, who don't like to screw with NFA stuff for all sorts of reasons, running to their LGS to grab a suppressor. Would the increased demand cause the price to shoot through the stratosphere? Maybe cheaper to buy one now and pay the $200 tax, and all of the rest of the bullshit involved with getting NFA stuff, including the wait? Or would there be a major spike in sales and price, that after the initial rush, things would simmer down with price drops to adjust to a then smaller demand?

I also wonder what the anti-crowd in the congress would think about supporting this bill? Most people I know, who are not gun people, think a suppressor makes your weapon go phhhhfiiiiiit, like they do in James Bond movies, and thus are irrationally afraid to hear about them being legal, NFA or not. Would like to see it pass, the over-the-counter accessory version, but not holding my breath.

FT[:D]

fledge
10 July 2017, 12:54
With SHISH I think you'd see a flood of cans for every segment of the market, from bargain to luxury, priced accordingly.

With HPA, the supply/demand chain would get choked more because of less competition in a segment that requires regulation from manufacturer to consumer.

alamo5000
10 July 2017, 14:31
Obviously I think this is a good thing but I don't know what kind of signal this is sending me about the HPA or this SHUSH act. If the HPA has traction they may be pushing it further along down the road to complete deregulation, or it could mean any number of other things politically speaking.

UWone77
10 July 2017, 17:34
I'd sure like to see that pass. I wonder which side of supply/demand that would create? If you could buy them over the counter like a Aimpoint RDS or something, I could foresee, possibly, a mass of people, like myself, who don't like to screw with NFA stuff for all sorts of reasons, running to their LGS to grab a suppressor. Would the increased demand cause the price to shoot through the stratosphere? Maybe cheaper to buy one now and pay the $200 tax, and all of the rest of the bullshit involved with getting NFA stuff, including the wait? Or would there be a major spike in sales and price, that after the initial rush, things would simmer down with price drops to adjust to a then smaller demand?

FT[:D]

This is exactly what would happen.

Initially, you'd find nothing on the shelves, similar to just prior to 41F implementation. Only there would certainly be some people buying up suppressors and reselling them at a inflated price to cash in on the frenzy of deregulation.

If you want a can, buy it now. Supply is excellent.

Thompson
10 July 2017, 19:06
Why would I do that when I can wait to not pay $200 [BD]

alamo5000
10 July 2017, 19:48

If they pass either of these two bills you get your $200 back. If they don't pass them you still get a can.

alamo5000
10 July 2017, 19:53
This is exactly what would happen.

Initially, you'd find nothing on the shelves, similar to just prior to 41F implementation. Only there would certainly be some people buying up suppressors and reselling them at a inflated price to cash in on the frenzy of deregulation.

I FINALLY got all my stuff in... finger prints, photos, etc into the Silencer Shop website. Bad thing for me is I am leaving for a 6 week long trip tomorrow. I was planning on sealing the deal before I left but now it looks like I might have to wait a few more weeks. I'm planning on putting 3 cans in jail at once.

Griffin .22 can
Griffin Recce 5
Griffin Recce 7

Later on sometime I will actually get or build a .308 rifle or something like that to shoot [BD]

The only bummer for me is if all things go as currently planned I will be living in Asia for quite a while so they will all be just sitting there quietly collecting dust until I come back.

I just have to see what I want to get from GA's site with those $400 in coupons (assuming they still have that deal running). [:D]

UWone77
10 July 2017, 19:53

LOL, we all know you can't afford it anyway.

alamo5000
10 July 2017, 19:57

Pay $500 now + $200 (and possibly get the $200 back) or wait until the rush and pay $800-$1000 bucks for the same can....makes perfect sense. [crazy]

UWone77
10 July 2017, 20:03
I guarantee you won't find a can on the shelves for a year if HPA passed.

Thompson
10 July 2017, 20:05
Idk - .22LR cans are pretty cheap.

alamo5000
10 July 2017, 20:19
I guarantee you won't find a can on the shelves for a year if HPA passed.

I will guarantee you that everybody and their brother will go into the can making business over night too. You will have cans of questionable quality and effectiveness popping up all over the place.

fledge
11 July 2017, 21:05
If SHUSH passes, Maglite will be cool again.

https://youtu.be/s-N1SpDv8Yk

Joelski
12 July 2017, 04:05
Because your wait could extend into your next lifetime. [;)]

Thompson
12 July 2017, 06:00
Because your wait could extend into your next lifetime. [;)]
Preposterous

UWone77
12 July 2017, 20:06
At this point the HPA and similar bills are not even on my radar. If I want to purchase or make an NFA item I will. Waiting around for something that may never happen to me is silly. More power to those of you that wait, but by the time anything happens with these bills I'll be playing with my approved NFA items.

UWone77
2 October 2017, 08:21
I'm just not feeling the HPA....

Joelski
2 October 2017, 10:10
SHARE Act has a good chance of passing the House. The Senate is another story.

Slippers
2 October 2017, 10:18
SHARE Act has a good chance of passing the House. The Senate is another story.

After last night I kind of doubt it will pass the House. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Dstrbdmedic167
2 October 2017, 11:12
Sadly I agree with slippers. Killery has already been pushing her agenda..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Tom
2 October 2017, 11:22
Sadly I agree with slippers. Killery has already been pushing her agenda..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I noticed this as well.

You know she's smiling on the inside like a little school girl after last night. She was talking about taking down NRA and in the same breath says its not political.

Joelski
2 October 2017, 12:10
Let's all just get In the confiscation lines!

Last night was just one more reason to lock her up. My money's on affected Vet.

VIPER 237
2 October 2017, 15:53
After last night I kind of doubt it will pass the House. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I feel the same

UWone77
3 October 2017, 10:56
It's not over till it's over.... and it's over.

GOP leader says NRA-backed gun bill shelved indefinitely

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dems-push-gun-safety-bills-074454901.html

voodoo_man
3 October 2017, 13:12
It's not over till it's over.... and it's over.

GOP leader says NRA-backed gun bill shelved indefinitely

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dems-push-gun-safety-bills-074454901.html

Not over yet.

He might not get re-elected if he continues this BS.

UWone77
3 October 2017, 13:32
Not over yet.

He might not get re-elected if he continues this BS.

Not saying it won't get re-introduced, but I'm pretty sure it's dead until after mid-terms.

People waiting for HPA.... you might as well wait for a Hughes Amendment repeal as well!

gatordev
3 October 2017, 13:34
F3 in work. I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy.

alamo5000
3 October 2017, 14:02
HPA, SHUSH etc are probably gone for the time being. That said this could be a good opportunity to engage the general public and to educate them. I would like to see the NRA do a national media push right now with the intention of education of the masses about suppressors.

Don't try to sneak suppressor legislation through in the middle of the night. Go straight through the center challenging Hillary Clinton in public over it.

alamo5000
3 October 2017, 14:05
We need DJT to hold a national town hall meeting live on tv about guns ....just like Obama did.

UWone77
3 October 2017, 14:05
HPA, SHUSH etc are probably gone for the time being. That said this could be a good opportunity to engage the general public and to educate them. I would like to see the NRA do a national media push right now with the intention of education of the masses about suppressors.

Don't try to sneak suppressor legislation through in the middle of the night. Go straight through the center challenging Hillary Clinton in public over it.

That's not going to happen.

The media wants people to believe that the NRA is this mighty/wealthy lobby, when it's really just an interest group. Fighting big money donors like Bloomberg and Paul Allen is an uphill climb and they always have to pick and choose what battles to fight. In my state they basically said sorry but we're not going to help fight the universal background checks.

alamo5000
3 October 2017, 14:16
That's not going to happen.

The media wants people to believe that the NRA is this mighty/wealthy lobby, when it's really just an interest group. Fighting big money donors like Bloomberg and Paul Allen is an uphill climb and they always have to pick and choose what battles to fight. In my state they basically said sorry but we're not going to help fight the universal background checks.

At very least DJT should have a national town hall meeting live on tv. Get people on there who can present the facts. Leave the NRA at home. Have it live on national tv.

UWone77
3 October 2017, 14:24
At very least DJT should have a national town hall meeting live on tv. Get people on there who can present the facts. Leave the NRA at home. Have it live on national tv.

I think you've mistaken DJT's stance on suppressors with his son's

No one is going to host a town hall meeting on this. Many other issues like healthcare are still in the forefront.

gatordev
3 October 2017, 14:28
Not to mention that DJT doesn't have nearly the legislative power that many of his supporters thinks he has. The government is much bigger than the president.

UWone77
3 October 2017, 14:37
Trump is also a Democrat. He doesn't have Conservative values. He was simply a better choice than Hillary.

fledge
3 October 2017, 15:07
Trump is also a Democrat..

Yup.

If the American public has learned anything in 2017 it is that restoring rights and minimizing govt is like leveling a mountain with a baby spoon.

It’s up to the citizens to have political courage to hold strong and refuse the manipulation of Marxist bullies.

Joelski
3 October 2017, 18:26
Paul is toast. He's shown his RINO colors and has a true GOP opponent.

The enemy is anybody who advocates $600 toilet seats, so the so-called base will support Trump, ALF, or anybody else who supports flushing the establishment shit out of D.C...

voodoo_man
4 October 2017, 08:29
Trump is also a Democrat. He doesn't have Conservative values. He was simply a better choice than Hillary.

He is A-political, economically conservative-leaning and socially democrat leaning. That doesn't make him left or right.

His stance on 2A seems pretty fundamental to the right/bill of rights type of understanding.

I can tell you that if he uses this to pass any type of gun laws and there is nothing in return (like national carry/hpa/shush/hush/share/etc) then he will be a one term president. 100%

fledge
4 October 2017, 10:12
He’s a Kennedy democrat. He’s not socially liberal. That is a moniker used by the left to make it sound like their social values are more free. They aren’t. They are authoritarian. Gun control is one example.

His stance on firearms is likely similar to his stance on everything. Something to negotiate and compromise with. Hope I’m wrong.

I agree that he’ll be a one term president unless the Dems our forward more people worse than Trump. Which they are known to do.

UWone77
5 October 2017, 18:19
Heh... Who cares what the President believes, the NRA just bent over. Can't be good for the base.

Army203
5 October 2017, 19:25
Heh... Who cares what the President believes, the NRA just bent over. Can't be good for the base.

Kinda feel like that kid at the end of Old Yeller. First the NFL and now the NRA....

fledge
5 October 2017, 19:27
Please tell me the NRA is being strategic. If Dems want bump stocks, we want Hughes revoked. That’s why we have bump stocks anyway.

UWone77
5 October 2017, 19:30
Please tell me the NRA is being strategic. If Dems want bump stocks, we want Hughes revoked. That’s why we have bump stocks anyway.

Heh... it's like that old line, either you're incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid. I don't know which yet. Could be a brilliant Chess move, or it could be a total bend over. Let's see how it shakes out.

voodoo_man
5 October 2017, 19:59
Heh... it's like that old line, either you're incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid. I don't know which yet. Could be a brilliant Chess move, or it could be a total bend over. Let's see how it shakes out.

Guess we will see, right?

Like I said, if Trump doesn't "deal" and the NRA backs this bullshit infringement, all of that compounded with a complete right-side of the isle control of the government, Trump and many seats in various houses will be overturned come next cycle.

I can only hope that this is a play at SHUSH or whatever. Giving something to get something, if it is not then they better have the SHUSH act around the corner ready to pass.

Dstrbdmedic167
5 October 2017, 20:14

https://i1.wp.com/gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Thats-A-Bold-Strategy-Meme.gif?resize=360%2C270&ssl=1

UWone77
5 October 2017, 20:27
I'm inclined to say this is a bend over.

People on social media seem to think there is some backdoor deal to trade Bump Fire Stocks for SHUSH. LOL

The Hughes Amendment and Import Ban were all under Republican Watch. When HPA first came out I was 99% sure it wasn't going to pass. I wanted to be wrong, but I knew better. I still hope to be wrong....

Slippers
5 October 2017, 20:36
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I can't see how there's a trade here. The NRA loves to maintain the status quo and stay out of the limelight. Giving up bump fire stocks and recommending that the ATF handle it avoids Congress and makes it look like they are willing to be "reasonable" in the public eye.

They can't trade bump fire stocks for repealing the Hughes amendment. 99% of gun owners don't even know that you can own a transferable machine gun. The public will NEVER allow the Hughes amendment to be repealed, especially in the wake of the worst mass shooting in US history, which involved multiple bump fire stocks that "simulate" full auto rates of fire. You can't seriously believe that the public would be willing to allow post 1986 machine gun ownership by civilians in exchange for banning bump fire stocks.

Stone
5 October 2017, 22:41
I'm inclined to say this is a bend over.

People on social media seem to think there is some backdoor deal to trade Bump Fire Stocks for SHUSH. LOL

The Hughes Amendment and Import Ban were all under Republican Watch. When HPA first came out I was 99% sure it wasn't going to pass. I wanted to be wrong, but I knew better. I still hope to be wrong....

Agreed, its a bend over. Who the phuck does the NRA think they are giving up what isn't theirs in the first place.

voodoo_man
6 October 2017, 05:52
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I can't see how there's a trade here. The NRA loves to maintain the status quo and stay out of the limelight. Giving up bump fire stocks and recommending that the ATF handle it avoids Congress and makes it look like they are willing to be "reasonable" in the public eye.

They can't trade bump fire stocks for repealing the Hughes amendment. 99% of gun owners don't even know that you can own a transferable machine gun. The public will NEVER allow the Hughes amendment to be repealed, especially in the wake of the worst mass shooting in US history, which involved multiple bump fire stocks that "simulate" full auto rates of fire. You can't seriously believe that the public would be willing to allow post 1986 machine gun ownership by civilians in exchange for banning bump fire stocks.

Right now, who knows what is going to happen, every leftist is going to try to attack 2A every chance they can, the real issue is what the right is going to do about it.

If Trump sits back and lets the houses do whatever they want without trying to make speeches attempting to guide them and then does nothing to stop gun grabbers, then he more than likely won't have a second term.

The majority of the country believes in 2A and firearms as a fundamental right of citizenship, if the president doesn't side with that he's going to have a really hard way to go.

fledge
6 October 2017, 06:58
Whether the public wants it or not, that’s where negotiations start. It ups the gravity of the gun control grab. Getting SHUSH passed, removing sporter clause, and getting National CCW passed are a important goals and keeps them in play. As it is, our representatives are running like cowards because they lack wisdom in the issue.

I can see NRA using their call to the ATF to appease Hillary supporters that that they aren’t Satan but that’s a dysfunctional game. You can’t make people with an abusive mindset satisfied.

Slippers
6 October 2017, 08:35
Asking for the ATF to re-evaluate the stock is pretty smart. The ATF is responsible for bump fire stocks being legal and unregulated, to begin with. If they come back with a different answer it leaves them open to scrutiny and potentially lawsuits.

alamo5000
6 October 2017, 08:39
Asking for the ATF to re-evaluate the stock is pretty smart. The ATF is responsible for bump fire stocks being legal and unregulated, to begin with. If they come back with a different answer it leaves them open to scrutiny and potentially lawsuits.

I have had several people ask me about stuff recently... try explaining the NFA to a non gun person...See your barrel has to be 16" long because, well just because, there is no technical reasons for it. And that brace isn't a butt stock, it's a brace. Among many other things.

fledge
6 October 2017, 11:17
Noir said NRA is pressing lawmakers to use their time debating CCW rather than bump stocks. Hence their appeal to ATF.

And not to mention it was Obama’s ATF that approved them to begin with. ;)