PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary Build

Big_Tom
30 July 2017, 19:11
OK well I've done a few builds and the spousal unit has been bugging me to build her a rifle. So since I've finished my 308 build I've decided to start hers.

Our 9th anniversary is in September so I thought I may be able to get it done by then. The plan was to do a his and her rifle so we each get a rifle out of the deal. And that they are pretty much identical. So I've been busy with work and house stuff so its been going slower than hoped. I've said in the beginning that if I couldn't finish it by the end of Sept then I'll just wait till next year.

I think for a 10th anniversary gift it will be awesome. And since I will have more time means I can put a little more money into them. Well the only changes would be changing out the receiver sets from Noreen Firearms set to one of the Cross Machine Tool sets. And then do a more fancier paint job. I'm sure in that time new parts will become available and swap them out as well.

I'll keep this updated as much as I can along the way.

din
30 July 2017, 19:40
Awesome, FT! You know, the traditional tenth wedding anniversary gift is something with gas impingement, so you should be golden. Are they both going to be .308?

Big_Tom
30 July 2017, 20:45
Awesome, FT! You know, the traditional tenth wedding anniversary gift is something with gas impingement, so you should be golden. Are they both going to be .308?

No, going with a 5.56 light and compact duty style build for both.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

UWone77
9 August 2017, 19:15
You decide on what barrels/receivers?

Big_Tom
9 August 2017, 19:33
You decide on what barrels/receivers?Well I have Noreen sets now. Since I've decided just to wait and not rush it, I'm going with CMT set. By the time I get barrels and handguards it'll be close to black Friday time. So if CMT has a decent sale then that's when I'll grab them.

As far as barrels I'm going with a 16" & a 14.5" Faxon Gunner with FSB installed.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

Big_Tom
2 September 2017, 00:56
I should have posted this before but here's the set up of the rifles.

Lower:

CMT UHP15A
Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock
Geissele SD-C
Radian Talon
Odin Works XMR
Forward Controls ABC/R
Magpul SL grip
Mil Spec parts fill in gaps

Upper:

CMT UPUR-1
Faxon Gunner barrel with pinned FSB (16" for the wife, 14.5" for mine)
Centurion Arms handguard
Aim Surplus bcg (4H NiB for wife, 4H Nitride for mine)
Radian Raptor
A2 Compensator
Magpul rear BUIS
Micro RDS with lower 1/3 co witness mount

EDIT: These parts are subject to change. LOL

rxer311
2 September 2017, 03:14
Those Noreen Sets look pretty good. Especially for the price you can get them for.

Big_Tom
3 September 2017, 21:48
Those Noreen Sets look pretty good. Especially for the price you can get them for.

Yeah they are. When AIM first had them for $90 a set, I picked up two just for this project with the expectation on getting it done by this September. But since Centurion Arms doesn't have the part instock right now, I'm waiting. So September '18 will be the deadline come Hell or High Water, and decided to make sure they are one of a kind rifles.

Ive always have liked the looks of the CMT receivers and Instagram makes me really want them.

Now another question is what do I do with the Noreen billets?

Stickman
4 September 2017, 00:48
Tom,

There is a serious lack of pics in this thread. [BD]

Big_Tom
4 September 2017, 19:56
Tom,

There is a serious lack of pics in this thread. [BD]

Im working on that too. [:)] Just gotta find the time to take some.

Big_Tom
2 November 2017, 11:15
Well due to me getting a new to me upper and other parts out of the blue. Ive decided for now just to build her rifle and if time and money allows to build mine later.

On another note I opened up the ol' email and saw that CMT is having a sale on the UHP-15 receiver sets. On top of that they are having a promo for 25% off everything.

Joelski
2 November 2017, 11:32
Gotta keep the half unit happy!

Big_Tom
2 November 2017, 11:43
Gotta keep the half unit happy!

Yeah she always like "got more gun parts I see" in a very unhappy voice. hahaha. Little does she know they are for her gun hehe.

Joelski
3 November 2017, 04:34
Just make sure you drop some carbon on her, all will be good.

*Diamonds, not the stuff we ruin the table linens with. =8-0