PDA

View Full Version : Starting new build: What to do?

Joelski
30 July 2017, 20:33
So I have a prized Radian lower receiver ordered, which obviously mandates that I must wait for a matching upper receiver and rail. Other than that, my options are limitless. Normally, I'd just go with Geissele parts, willy nilly. What else is out there to satisfy a SPR-ish type build? Seems this will probably want an 18" barrel; are there any of the 15+" hand guards that are worthy of the mission? In my case, I plan to target coyotes and hogs from 300 to 500 yds. My most important question is will this require any special buffer/spring combination? A Rifle length buffer and tube, or would a Carbine lenght on work? I've done 16" and under; I want to build a velocity gun to take advantage of the added barrel length. If going to 20" would be a large benefit, I'd like to hear about it. Please let me hear your opinions.

UWone77
30 July 2017, 21:14
My 18" and 20" 5.56 guns just run H buffers and carbine springs. They shoot very soft and smooth with the rifle gas.

If I do a Radian build, I'll do an SBR myself... can't wait to see how yours turns out!

fledge
30 July 2017, 22:07
If Radian releases upper parts that are the same as their factory rifles, they should have a perfect upper/rail for the 18" barrel. Their SPR style is 17.5" barrel.

Joelski
31 July 2017, 11:23
My 18" and 20" 5.56 guns just run H buffers and carbine springs. They shoot very soft and smooth with the rifle gas.

If I do a Radian build, I'll do an SBR myself... can't wait to see how yours turns out!
Haven't ruled out a form 1 just yet, either.

UWone77
31 July 2017, 21:10
I want to do a basic 10.5 with the Radian builders set. I think the Radian is still one of the best lowers on the market, definitely worthy of a Form 1

Joelski
1 August 2017, 04:53
I want to do a basic 10.5 with the Radian builders set. I think the Radian is still one of the best lowers on the market, definitely worthy of a Form 1
Finally! At least one other person who thinks a 10.x" is a proper SBR!

SINNER
1 August 2017, 05:04
I want to do a basic 12.5" with the Radian builders set. I think the Radian is still one of the best lowers on the market, definitely worthy of a Form 1

Fixed it for you. Lol

alamo5000
1 August 2017, 06:27
I think the Radian is still one of the best lowers on the market, definitely worthy of a Form 1

I am just curious about why you say that... before I was simply clueless about it...then I got CMT stuff and ever since I have felt they are on another level.

Is Radian just cool looking or is there superior machine work going on?

I ask because I eventually might build another AR but I don't want to compromise on the quality I am used to with CMT. CMT is a known for me and the only sets I have ever owned.

I am an equal opportunity gun lover but the bar has been set pretty high for me. Champagne taste... beer budget...

alamo5000
1 August 2017, 06:33
Finally! At least one other person who thinks a 10.x" is a proper SBR!

I have a 10.5 and admittedly I love that thing. I put so much thought into how it is laid out. I love my 10.5!!!

That said I would shoot a 11.5 and a 12.5 with equal amounts of love too.

Joelski
1 August 2017, 09:02
I have a 10.5 and admittedly I love that thing. I put so much thought into how it is laid out. I love my 10.5!!!

That said I would shoot a 11.5 and a 12.5 with equal amounts of love too.
Those just don't fit my (admittedly narrow) concept of a SBR. Anything shorter is a PDW, longer is a carbine.

titanse05
1 August 2017, 09:22
I was in a similar situation with my OG AX556. I ended up SBRing it and recently bought one of their complete 8.7" 300blk uppers thru OpticsPlanet on sale.

I originally was going to wait till their stripped upper/handguard combos were available but I grew tired of waiting. Let me tell you though, this complete upper was worth the money. It's a slick piece.

fledge
1 August 2017, 09:56
My Radian 14.5 is my favorite. I thought I their upper set is unmatched.

I have a form 1 radian and want the 10.5 upper set. 10.5 barrels are everywhere.

GOST
1 August 2017, 10:51
I agree with Sinner, I'll take a 12.5" over a 10.5".

UWone77
1 August 2017, 11:47
I am just curious about why you say that... before I was simply clueless about it...then I got CMT stuff and ever since I have felt they are on another level.

Is Radian just cool looking or is there superior machine work going on?

I ask because I eventually might build another AR but I don't want to compromise on the quality I am used to with CMT. CMT is a known for me and the only sets I have ever owned.

I am an equal opportunity gun lover but the bar has been set pretty high for me. Champagne taste... beer budget...

Purely... well mainly aesthetics for me. Back when the AX556 was new, the ambi market didn't exist like it does now. The market has definitely caught up and I think AXTS (Radian) missed the huge wave of ambi sales back in the day because they just couldn't produce. However, the AX556 still has the ADAC feature that most other ambi's lack, and it's just plain sexy to me. Always wanted another to SBR.

Fixed it for you. Lol

No doubt 12.5 is a great SBR length. However, for me it's been tough to find another barrel in 12.5 that meets the standards of my 12.5" Crusader Upper that John Noveske built, which I still have and shoot. 12.5" was Noveske's favorite length and arguably best barrel. If you look around 12.5" isn't all that popular with a lot of barrel manufacturers, they seem to prefer 10.3, 10.5 and 11.5" where have all the 12.5's gone?

fledge
1 August 2017, 12:00
VSeven has a nice 12.5. And Joel will sell a reduced port if you request it (I have heard).

SINNER
1 August 2017, 12:57
Purely... well mainly aesthetics for me. Back when the AX556 was new, the ambi market didn't exist like it does now. The market has definitely caught up and I think AXTS (Radian) missed the huge wave of ambi sales back in the day because they just couldn't produce. However, the AX556 still has the ADAC feature that most other ambi's lack, and it's just plain sexy to me. Always wanted another to SBR.

No doubt 12.5 is a great SBR length. However, for me it's been tough to find another barrel in 12.5 that meets the standards of my 12.5" Crusader Upper that John Noveske built, which I still have and shoot. 12.5" was Noveske's favorite length and arguably best barrel. If you look around 12.5" isn't all that popular with a lot of barrel manufacturers, they seem to prefer 10.3, 10.5 and 11.5" where have all the 12.5's gone?

If you ever sell that upper let me know. Lol

I have this one waiting for a stamp to be approved.

https://www.triarcsystems.com/rifles/rifle-components/rifle-barrels/track-2-0-barrels/triarc-12-5-track-barrel.html#.WYDctFQpChA

gatordev
1 August 2017, 13:54
If you like 10.5", then by all means, enjoy 10.5" uppers. I certainly enjoy my two 10.3 and this newfangled 10.4 that I picked up. But...

VSeven has a nice 12.5. And Joel will sell a reduced port if you request it (I have heard).

This! And yes, he reduced my gas port. Every time I shoot it, I then look at it and think/say, "Man, this makes me look like such a better shooter than I really am."

BoilerUp
1 August 2017, 17:16
Purely... well mainly aesthetics for me. Back when the AX556 was new, the ambi market didn't exist like it does now. The market has definitely caught up and I think AXTS (Radian) missed the huge wave of ambi sales back in the day because they just couldn't produce. However, the AX556 still has the ADAC feature that most other ambi's lack, and it's just plain sexy to me.

Ah, right side BHO has my interest now. I had missed that as it just looks like a standard bolt release. That price, though! It will probably still drive me to the Aero ambi. I'm not a fan of that trigger guard, but otherwise like the looks.

Stone
1 August 2017, 18:19
So is the right side mag release is the bolt release as well? I'm confused...

Aragorn
1 August 2017, 18:38

Yes, ADAC feature also on Umbrella billet lowers, and a think one of Rainier's forged lowers.

Just hold the mag release when you dump the mag and rack the charging handle to the rear and it locks open. There's a small detent between the mag release button and bolt catch. When the mag release is depressed it pushes the detent up into the bottom of the bolt catch, lifting it to catch the bolt.

Stone
1 August 2017, 18:48
So, bolt locks back on empty mag after last round is fired, I drop the mag and the bolt goes into battery???

BoilerUp
1 August 2017, 19:32

Most "ambi" receivers only let you release the bolt from the right side, but don't let you actually lock the bolt back from the right side.

Here is the description from Brownells:

Machined from billet 7075-T6 aluminum, the AX556 is a fully ambidextrous lower receiver for AR15-style firearms. In addition to the Talon Ambidextrous Safety Selector, left-side magazine release, and right-side bolt release, the AX556 features the patented A-DAC (Ambidextrous Dual Action Control), which allows right-handed shooters to easily lock the bolt to the rear without taking their hand off fire control. To hold the bolt back using the A-DAC, simply pull the charging handle to the rear, depress the right-side magazine release button, then release the charging handle.

Aragorn
1 August 2017, 20:37
So, bolt locks back on empty mag after last round is fired, I drop the mag and the bolt goes into battery???

Negative. Still can't send the bolt home from the right side, only lock it back. More for administrative or malfunction clearance, such as instances that would already require you to drop the mag.

rxer311
1 August 2017, 20:38

Starting my 12.5" SBR now. I want a CHF 12.5. Don't think V Seven offers such a barrel so I am going with a Noveske CHF on a V Seven Receiver Set!

fledge
1 August 2017, 21:25
The Radian lower has a bolt release above the magazine release. So the mag release will hold the bolt open but the bolt release is in the same location on the right side as the left.

Maybe this is obvious in the discussion but it wasn't mentioned. Just FYI.

BoilerUp
1 August 2017, 21:49
Negative. Still can't send the bolt home from the right side, only lock it back. More for administrative or malfunction clearance, such as instances that would already require you to drop the mag.
The right side is still/also a bolt release. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying...

cjd3
1 August 2017, 22:58
300-500 yards, Nosler 22 pushes 55 grainers at 3400 fps.

Aragorn
2 August 2017, 08:12
The right side is still/also a bolt release. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying...

Oh, right, but I was just explaining the function of the ADAC feature. Radian kinda one-ups that even with the (separate) right side bolt release.