PDA

View Full Version : RXer311's V Seven Pistol/SBR Build

rxer311
3 August 2017, 18:35
So tonight I got around to starting my new project. The final build concept for this rifle is to be a 12.5" barrel, hard use SBR.

I am starting off with a V Seven forged GI receiver set. The machining and finish on these receivers is top notch. I like how they were smart about cutting weight on these receivers by doing things like putting a notch in the rail and beveling the rear of the rail on the upper. They were also able to loose weight in the pistol mounting area and doing some extra machine work on certain areas. I like how they were able to cut weight but still retain the FA. IMO, they were able to cut weight smartly, without sacrificing much, if any strength.

I am using a CMC LPK with some parts swapped out. The pins are Strike Industries lightweight aluminum pins. They are definitely lighter than the steel pins and they have a nice anodizing on them. I do not expect the finish to hold up on these like the steel pins, however, this is expected with anodized aluminum vs mil spec. Its a tradeoff. I also used a SI bolt catch as I just love the design and like to use them on my builds. Very functional with the bolt hold open lever enlarged. The other thing with the bolt catch is that I tried a KNS bolt catch retaining pin instead of the roll pin because I hate assembling this part. Instead of wrestling with my lower and a mallet for 10 min and marring my new lower, I had it installed in 10 seconds with no damage. Its just a pin and a C-clip. Brilliant! In pistol form I am using a KAK tube and brace, but will change to a V Seven lightweight tube when I get a form 1 going on this. I also installed the tube with a V Seven Lightweight endplate (with steel castle nut for now, but have the lightened castle nut for when I install a carbine tube). Magpul SL grip and trigger guard round out the lower.

On the upper I installed a Strike Industries lightened FA button. I will also be using a SI enhanced ejection port door. Should save a few grams.

Anyway, I am excited to start this new build. The plan is to used a CHF 12.5" barrel with a Silencerco Saker mount for my incoming Saker Can. I will probably go Noveske for the barrel unless I can find a Daniel Defense with pinned LP gas block. Will probably go with the Noveske. I am also going to be using a V Seven 11" M-Lok hand guard. It will be finished off with some variety of quality red dot.

I will add to the post as I acquire new parts.

Here are some initial pics:

http://i.imgur.com/IT8FRHH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tJlJuss.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/D7sIWQh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/acsxoPN.jpg

mustangfreek
4 August 2017, 00:15
Nice, so what's the plans for optics/sights?

rxer311
9 August 2017, 12:42
Entry #2

ALG ACT Trigger installed.

http://i.imgur.com/9MByh3y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/w00imeI.jpg

rxer311
9 August 2017, 12:43
Nice, so what's the plans for optics/sights?

Thinking about a Sig Romeo 4d.

UWone77
9 August 2017, 20:10
Thinking about a Sig Romeo 4d.

You know, I've never used any Sig Optics, looked through a few but that's about it. I'm curious to see how they hold up. Just picked up a Romeo7 to put through the paces. Share your thoughts if you get a 4.

rxer311
9 August 2017, 20:18
You know, I've never used any Sig Optics, looked through a few but that's about it. I'm curious to see how they hold up. Just picked up a Romeo7 to put through the paces. Share your thoughts if you get a 4.

Its going to be a while here. This build is going to take me some time due to the fact that I am going all in with top shelf parts. I have the build planned, but I am probably thinking this probably won't be done until the new year.

UWone77
9 August 2017, 20:49
Its going to be a while here. This build is going to take me some time due to the fact that I am going all in with top shelf parts. I have the build planned, but I am probably thinking this probably won't be done until the new year.

Yeah I kind of figured. Any build using this many V Seven parts is going to be a budget buster. You're doing something I eventually plan on doing!

rxer311
19 August 2017, 16:33
Its my birthday! I wouldn't be upset if people randomly sent me stuff to complete this build! J/K. Can't wait to get this moving along. Since this will be a hard use rifle I am actually considering using a BA modern series barrel with pinned gas block. I love the Noveske CHF barrels but I really like the quality per dollar of those BA barrels.

titanse05
19 August 2017, 17:21
Lookin good so far. That Strike Industries bolt catch though...one on my buddies build lasted two rounds. He replaced it with a forward controls bolt catch and its been perfect.

rxer311
19 August 2017, 18:30
Lookin good so far. That Strike Industries bolt catch though...one on my buddies build lasted two rounds. He replaced it with a forward controls bolt catch and its been perfect.

He might have just had a bad one. I have used these on a few rifles and never had a problem. I really like the design, though.

din
20 August 2017, 14:51
Give me FCD or give me death.

Pyzik
21 August 2017, 07:33

Hahaha, I'm with you there.

Looking like a great start though, rxer.

rxer311
21 August 2017, 08:43

I honestly dont know what this means!

fledge
21 August 2017, 09:01
I honestly dont know what this means!

If it's not a Forward Controls forward assist is it even a forward assist?

Pyzik
21 August 2017, 09:18
If it's not a Forward Controls forward assist is it even a forward assist?I assumed he was referring to the bolt catch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fledge
21 August 2017, 09:22
I almost added that but it lost the poetry.

Joelski
21 August 2017, 13:48
I just don't get the whole 12.5" SBR thing. Why waste $200 when you're only realizing 3.5" net reduction in barrel length? I get it that 12.5" maximizes velocity in a compact package, but really? Unburnt powder/fireball reduction: really? If it's because you can and by damn, it's your money you worked for then by all means, have at it, brother, but the other reasons seem like weak sauce. If some HSLD crew likes their barrels longer, that's cool too. I also get that too short and you got a blasty, flame-belching beast, but the majority of folks here shoot suppressed at least a percentage of the time. What is the real world benefit of 12.5" barrel SBR's vs. traditional (10.3"/10.5") shorties, other than the opinion of some SME I've never heard of on some other forum?

RXer: I'm not knocking your choice of build bro; that V7 is going to be unimpeachably facking awesome. I'm just wanting to find some rationale for the shift away from a long time standard SBR length.

PS: This pretty much takes the idea that only shorties are flamethrowers and flushes it down the groaner!

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/cc/c7/40/ccc74027c31a96ae3f66e8d533e5f70c.jpg

Dstrbdmedic167
21 August 2017, 14:42
I'll try to give a more detailed answer later but my 12.5" SBR is one of my favorite guns by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxer311
21 August 2017, 16:49
I just don't get the whole 12.5" SBR thing. Why waste $200 when you're only realizing 3.5" net reduction in barrel length? I get it that 12.5" maximizes velocity in a compact package, but really? Unburnt powder/fireball reduction: really? If it's because you can and by damn, it's your money you worked for then by all means, have at it, brother, but the other reasons seem like weak sauce. If some HSLD crew likes their barrels longer, that's cool too. I also get that too short and you got a blasty, flame-belching beast, but the majority of folks here shoot suppressed at least a percentage of the time. What is the real world benefit of 12.5" barrel SBR's vs. traditional (10.3"/10.5") shorties, other than the opinion of some SME I've never heard of on some other forum?

RXer: I'm not knocking your choice of build bro; that V7 is going to be unimpeachably facking awesome. I'm just wanting to find some rationale for the shift away from a long time standard SBR length.

PS: This pretty much takes the idea that only shorties are flamethrowers and flushes it down the groaner!

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/cc/c7/40/ccc74027c31a96ae3f66e8d533e5f70c.jpg

Short answer...I already have a 10.3 (just waiting for my stamp to put a stock on it). I'll lwt medic give the long answer lol. I was going to do a 300blk but ammo cost is keeping me out of the game for now...but a 9mm sbr may be my next build.

So whats the word on a BA 12.5 modern series? Yay or nay?

rxer311
27 August 2017, 18:56
Switching gears with this build. Will start a new build thread when more parts arrive.

I just was thinking that I have 2 14.5" pinned rifles, a 13.7" pinned rifle, and a 10.3" SBR. I don't currently have a rifle in my safe with a 16" or greater barrel. Going for an SPRish build. Going to try and keep it light as possible.

Got some stuff on the way!

UWone77
27 August 2017, 19:07
Do a 20"

Joelski
27 August 2017, 19:50
I'm patiently awaiting the upper and rail from Radian for just such a build. Haven't decided on an 18" or 20" barrel yet. Weight reduction is stupid expensive for tiny gains. Not worth it IMO*.

* Not that I don't enjoy a good, snobby alloy as much as the next metal snob, it's just stupidly expensive to build a long barreled AT using super light stuff. Better to put that cost into an ultra light SBR, where the barrel isn't eating up all the gains.

rxer311
28 August 2017, 16:16
Do a 20"

Doing a 16" with a BA Fluted 16" SPR barrel.

rxer311
28 August 2017, 16:18
I'm patiently awaiting the upper and rail from Radian for just such a build. Haven't decided on an 18" or 20" barrel yet. Weight reduction is stupid expensive for tiny gains. Not worth it IMO*.

* Not that I don't enjoy a good, snobby alloy as much as the next metal snob, it's just stupidly expensive to build a long barreled AT using super light stuff. Better to put that cost into an ultra light SBR, where the barrel isn't eating up all the gains.

I am not going to try to build the lightest rifle on the planet, but I am going to cut weight intelligently with smart part choices. Part of a V Seven rifle is saving weight...so I am going to do that where I can, but not worry about every single ounce. If there is a cheap way to save weight, I will do so. In my new build thread, I will explain my part decisions as I go through it.