PDA

View Full Version : Well, I just spent some more money...

alamo5000
4 August 2017, 09:18
Hello from Shanghai!

There is tons of talk about suppressor laws changing (I am still hopeful) but regardless of that I just placed an order for two cans. It would have been three cans but the .22 was out of stock.

Anyway I am sitting here in a hotel room in Shanghai and was surfing around and finally said 'what the hell' and did it. I don't have any idea of when I might actually get to use either of those because I am supposed to be moving overseas for the foreseeable future pretty quickly here I think. I look at it as a long term investment.

This will make my suppressor count at:

1x Griffin Revolution 9
2x Griffin Recce 5
1x Griffin Recce 7

So four in total.

This however got me thinking a bit about what and why I bought what I bought (especially after suppressor ownership for a while now).

1. I have a love hate relationship with pistol suppressors. I absolutely LOVE them on one hand because with subs it's just super quiet and really awesome. On the other hand it covers up your sites and honestly makes the handling of the gun way more awkward. On balance I am glad I own a pistol suppressor for sure. I actually am tempted to get a 45 too. I have to admit that I shoot the 9mm quite a lot. So my 'on balance' should be like 'the only downside here is' that it makes the gun really long and kind of awkward. Small price to pay IMO. I definitely wouldn't trade it for anything but rather just an observation.

2. The Recce 5 is the one I shoot by far the most. I also have two rifles in that caliber both with taper mounts and basically switching it back and forth...meh. I can have one for each rifle and be done with it. There is in my opinion zero downside to having more than one 5.56 can. Especially considering the cost of shooting that caliber it gets shot a lot.

3. I have been lusting after a Recce 7 for a long long time. I don't even own a .30 caliber (except an AK which will not see my Recce 7 ever). Eventually I will either build or buy and get into bigger calibers. I want a .308 pretty bad but I also want a .260 or something along those lines. Something in 6.5mm is on the agenda for sure, whatever I wind up with... it will be suppressed. I want to be able to go LONG. I have 1,400 yards just itching for me to use it.

Another factor I have been considering is I can build a .300 upper and play with that a lot too on my SBR lower. I have almost everything I would need for that except projectiles and powder and maybe a die set. I wouldn't trust my life to it, but honestly I imagine it will be fun as hell to shoot. I don't see that as a really practical round on some levels but that said I am only shooting for fun. If it's fun, it's good enough. About the biggest expense there will be that I have champagne taste now so I will probably get another T2 for it.

I really would like a 9mm carbine of some sort but so far nothing I've seen floats my boat yet. In a perfect world I would like a 9mm and a .45 of some sort in SBR fashion. In my mind that would be just awesome fun. The host weapon I am just not sure yet. Maybe I am just particular or just not familiar enough yet. Money is finite so I have to pick and choose.

4. .22 cans... I want one for sure and I will probably order one up the road a bit when they get back in stock, but to be perfectly honest I don't get off shooting .22 as much as some people. Even at that my Revolution 9 can be configured for .22LR and it's pretty damn quiet especially with that suppressor specific ammo. On a rifle, what the heck. It makes almost no difference in the feel or handling of the gun. On a pistol... hell yes it's a big difference. For some reason I just have not been a .22 fanatic. That said back home I have a Kidd reciever waiting to be built out, but honestly I will wind up with a really nice and really expensive 10/22. Still though it for some reason doesn't excite me like other stuff does.

I don't really have a point to any of this... I am just thinking too much as usual. But thinking about it a .30 cal rifle can is probably the most diverse can you can own. I have everything except for .45 covered once these go through. I can't kid myself and say I won't get a dedicated .22 can or a .45 can for that matter too... but I am just that much closer to rounding everything out.

Right now the host weapon is the problem. That problem being I can't get enough host weapons to satisfy me[:D] Pistol caliber carbine things have had my attention for a long time now....

Anyway I am here in China pretty much chillin alone in a hotel. I've been here a month and have about 3 weeks to go. But I will be moving here pretty soon possibly. I am trying to get all that sorted out now. I won't have any trigger time at all while I am here and that is one of the only suck parts about moving over... but that doesn't mean I have to abandon my habit [BD]

Former11B
4 August 2017, 12:17
Since the .22 can is lower on the list, maybe look at Griffin's upcoming .22 can they've been hinting at....you've got some time to wait for the reveal.

I have a Recce 5, and would like a Recce 7. I also want another Recce 5 and an M4SDII.
I can't quit.

Joelski
4 August 2017, 13:44
You can send me all your cans for safe keeping while you're abroad. I will make sure they don't deteriorate from disuse. [:D]

alamo5000
4 August 2017, 16:22
Since the .22 can is lower on the list, maybe look at Griffin's upcoming .22 can they've been hinting at....you've got some time to wait for the reveal.

I have a Recce 5, and would like a Recce 7. I also want another Recce 5 and an M4SDII.
I can't quit.

I didn't know they had another .22 can coming out. Do you have any link or info about it?

Honestly I have been so completely overwhelmed with work for quite a while now. I have been lurking but not posting. You guys have been my dose of sanity from time to time.

alamo5000
4 August 2017, 16:32
You can send me all your cans for safe keeping while you're abroad. I will make sure they don't deteriorate from disuse. [:D]

Suuuuure. YEEEEAH. [BD]

In all actuality China is NOT at ALL what people think. Especially Shanghai. Once I get some free time I will run around and try to take some photos. You can get just about anything you want in this city. Personally I am enjoying it. That said work has been insane and life has been pretty unstable. I am hopeful that we get past this rough patch.

As for the big picture I won't be walking out my back door and shooting, or shooting anything at all, here. Trade off I guess.