Magpul - MLOK Handstop kit, MLOK Type 2 Rail covers
Mission First Tactical - Battlelink
Primary Weapon Systems - EBT Mod 2
Superlative Arms - Clamp-on bleed off gas block
Strike Industries - J-Comp V2 308, 308 Enhanced Ultimate Dust Cover
Streamlight - Protac Rail HL-X
V7 Weapons - Titanium takedown pin set
Vortex Optics - Razor AMG 6-24x

--------build not yet completed--------- pictured with PMAG 25rd M118 LR/SR GEN M3 windowed and ABC/R V2 556 off my Balios Lite.

I was kinda debating whether or not I should make this post but meh, why not. This build is not yet complete as it's technically missing the ABC/R V2 556 (which will be rectified shortly) and missing a low mass BCG. This is a leisure build with low priority so it'll be done when it's done is my attitude towards this rifle. I knew I wanted a lower recoiling 308 (lower at least compared to a roughly 14lb 20" 308 Remington 700 with Razor Gen 1 in AICS chassis with no brake). So the concept of this build is - lightweight, low recoil, long range. Goal is sub 3/4 MOA 5rd group out to 1000yds with either 168gr or 175gr handloads (either Hornady ELD-M or Sierra TMK), recoil close to that of a 5.56 (description that I've read regarding low mass 308), and failing those two goals - this build will be converted into a 6.5 creedmoor build.

Lighter than the SR-25, M110 or LMT 308 was the plan and Mega Arms was taking their sweet time with the SF-Maten hence going with the Xanthos. I had reservations about going with a receiver build rather than buying a complete rifle due to non-standardized specs. Unfortunately I came across the non-standardized spec obstacle today with the bolt catch however, the obstacle was overcame. "It is what it is" is appropriate when describing the 308 AR platform.

Similar to my Balios lite build, it shares many of the same and similar parts such as grip and safety purely due to feel.

Optics - I have a 5-25x Razor Gen 1 and was considering the Gen 2 but the Razor AMG is lighter with a bonus being American made and it was in stock! Had the AMG not been in stock, I think I would've gone with the Razor Gen 1 again simply because the Gen 2 is so freakin heavy. All the knobs, magnification ring, and ocular adjustment are stiff. Really stiff. It might loosen up a bit with use. The eye box of the AMG is also less forgiving of head position than the Gen 1. American Defense 20moa because it was on sale and I like the company's products. The anti-cant device I saw on Amazon and I had points to use up so it ended up being like $10 shipped. I like that there's a tiny arrow machined into the device that points at the center of the level.

Barrel: Faxon 18" barrel instead of the 20" barrel because I know I can increase velocity simply by using an adjustable gas block with flow restriction which should get me to near similar 20" barrel with standard gas blocks. 4150 vs 416r because of heat properties and supposedly the 4150 is no slouch in the accuracy department. Currently waiting on a Faxon low mass 308 bcg but if it doesn't make it to market within a year it will be a V7 Weapons Titanium 308 bcg, assuming they still make them in the future, if not the choice after that will be a JP Low mass 308 bcg. Superlative arms gas block rather than Syrac or SLR Rifleworks because of the desire to test the bleed off function but also having the restricted flow capability. There are many reports of 308 AR's in general being overgassed hence the adjustable gas block. Attached is the Strike Industries J-Comp 308. It may not be the most effective 308 muzzle brake but from a website test, the J-comp in 556 is the best bang for the buck muzzle brake and I'm assuming the 308 will also be a great performer.

Geissele trigger was on sale. Geissele SCH 308 which is Noveske branded. At the time of purchase, Geissele didn't sell the 308 SCH directly. Noveske sold a 308 charging handle made by Geissele. Now that the Geissele SCH 308 is being sold, compared to the Noveske branded one, the Noveske branded is cheaper and is 99.9% the same (only difference is laser marked Noveske logo which you can't see unless you pull back to the charging handle).

Mission First Tactical Battlelink stock - I chose this over their other stocks and the Magpul PRS Gen 3 because of three reasons, weight (not too light, not too heavy), collapsible for storage/transport (unlike the PRS), and there's a flat spot at the rear near the toe of the stock that I can use a rear bag on. Pictured is the Armageddon gear X-wing rear bag attached.

B&T Atlas PSR bipod BT46-LW17 - it was either this or upgraded Harris and when priced out the Atlas PSR was only $25 more. I purchased the PSR on sale (technically some gift cards were on sale). Something of note, with the Pmag 25rd, with the bipod deployed, the legs must be extended by at least one notch when on flat ground otherwise the mag is long enough to monopod the rifle.

Streamlight - candela, lumen and 18650 option. I belong to the every weapon should have a weapon mounted light club.

Arisaka defense - lightweight and streamlined parts

Forward controls designs - feels great on the finger tips

Strike Industries dust cover - lightweight and cheap like the 556 version.

Griffin M2 sights - can switch from 45* offset to standard with small parts change. Not sold on the offset 45 sight concept even on a long range precision rig.

V7 Titanium takedown pin set - because it's titanium.

--------weight---------

Without a bcg, this rifle is front heavy even with the rear bag attached to the stock. Balance point roughly behind the Arisaka Defense QD mount with the stock full extended. I would say with a low mass 308 bcg, the weight balance would only shift slightly to the rear and end up maybe at the front takedown pin. Weight balance will change once again as I'm thinking about putting an IR laser once the rifle is functional. Weight is currently at 9.966lbs without the rear bag, bcg, bolt catch. I'm expecting the 308 low mass BCG to be roughly 15oz. So when the build is complete I'm expecting 11lbs.

BoilerUp
5 August 2017, 08:37
Cool. Thanks for posting. A Xanthos is in my future for sure (unless someone releases a lighter or better set and a similar price point) first. I have a .308 build on the Aero Prrecision M5 that I'm very happy with, but I want a lighter version for hunting (that I'll probably put a 7mm-08 barrel on). Your post generated a few random thoughts on my end:

1) Overall, from my perspective, I see some inconsistencies in choices when it comes to weight. Again, just my perspective, but most folks using the Xanthos set are looking to keep the build very light, so the weapon light, bipod and optics choices seem a bit in-congruent

2) weapon light - not sure why you'd bother w/ a 308 long distance gun unless you think you might have to use force to secure your shooting position

3) AMG - awesome! I've heard great things about these. Please post more once you get some range time behind id.

4) BCG - I have a JP LMOS BCG and it's a work of art. It is pricey though. With the POF roller cam the thing is smooth as silk

5) I don't believe the AGB is going to give you noticeable difference in velocity. I understand the logic behind your thinking, but I don't believe the gas volume and timing in question will actually have an impact. I suspect the difference will be within the "noise" of variability of your velocity. And I don't think the "bleed off" capability will change that. I'm still waiting for someone to give me a sound physics based explanation of why the "bleed off" design is better.

Lastly, on recoil, with a low mass BCG and decent comp, I've been very pleased with the recoil of my .308. It's not 5.56 level, but actually softer / smoother than my 6.8 SPC.

Looking forward to hearing how it shoots.