PDA

View Full Version : New build; starting with the upper.

Former11B
17 August 2017, 19:51
I haven't gotten all the pieces yet, but I got enough to start!

I have been a Rainier fan for a long time, so I started with:

Upper: Rainier Forged Mil-Spec
BCG: Rainier Precision Match Grade Nitrided BCG
Charging Handle: Avalanche Mod 2 CH (not pictured; it was a pre-order that will ship soon).
Rail: Fortis 14" REV 2.0 M-Lok
Barrel: Keeping it under wraps for a reason, but it's definitely Rainier [:D]. Will be using a Griffin Armament muzzle device for a Recce 5.
Gas Tube: Lantac Black Nitrided; Intermediate length
Bipod: Harris w/ Odin M-Lok mount
Scope: Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50mm w/ MOA-2 reticle. Found a deal with it almost 50% off and it has better glass than a friend's Sightron SIII, and it seems more crisp than my Vortex HST 4-16x44

I'm going to be using a lower I already have temporarily; it'll have all the usual suspects...Magpul, SOPMOD, Geissele, etc. I'll likely end up getting a Rainier lower unless another nice one happens to come my way in the meantime.

My goal is to build a very precise, very accurate AR, lighter than your typical SPR, more reach than your typical Recce, but could easily do the job of both.

http://i.imgur.com/t7tTE7W.jpg

alamo5000
18 August 2017, 00:45
Barrel: Keeping it under wraps for a reason, but it's definitely Rainier [:D]. Will be using a Griffin Armament muzzle device for a Recce 5.

Secrets amongst friends???!!! *GASP!*

So what grain weight of bullet are you aiming to use for this?

[:D]

Former11B
18 August 2017, 08:32
Secrets amongst friends???!!! *GASP!*

So what grain weight of bullet are you aiming to use for this?

[:D]

When I know more, I'll post more [BD]

But I'm looking at running 69s or 77s; I have Tipped Match Kings to load in both weights.

alamo5000
18 August 2017, 09:21
When I know more, I'll post more [BD]

But I'm looking at running 69s or 77s; I have Tipped Match Kings to load in both weights.

So we are looking at a 1:8 or 1:7...

My goal is to build a very precise, very accurate AR, lighter than your typical SPR, more reach than your typical Recce, but could easily do the job of both.

I am using a Rainier barrel on my regular rifle and it checks all those boxes except maybe the "lighter than your typical SPR" (I have no clue how much an SPR weighs).

My barrel is a Rainier Select. UW recommended it when I was doing my first ever build and there is nothing at all to complain about there.

I can tap the targets out to 800 yards with 69 grain SMK. On my long range that I use the 700 yard plate is actually more difficult. An 18" square at 700 yards in the wind is a real bitch sometimes. Plus the placement of that plate is right where it opens up to cross winds but I can do it regularly in the right conditions. On some days that plate is difficult to hit.

On the short end at 100 yards the best group I ever did was about 1/2 MOA at 100 yards for all 10 shots. I don't know the official way to measure groups though. (do you measure from the outside edge of the hole or the center line?) Either way I could cover up all 10 holes with a dime. (.7 inches)

I honestly haven't shot a group (at all) since then...I just wanted to see what it could do at the time. Now I'm not even bothering to weigh my cases or getting super precise powder charges. Accuracy suffers but it's good enough.

Anyway it's definitely possible to do what you're after performance wise. I couldn't be more pleased with mine. I am still trying to figure out the most efficient and effective way to throw the most precise charge in history every time [BD]

Jerry R
18 August 2017, 09:36
I don't know the official way to measure groups though. (do you measure from the outside edge of the hole or the center line?)

I measure from the outside edge of the two widest shots, and then subtract one (actual) bullet diameter of the round being shot. That gives the center-to-center group size. C-t-C is what most post - it's smaller [BD]

SINNER
18 August 2017, 09:44
Maybe that's why I can't get those 1/4 MOA groups. I've always measured the largest point of the group. Outside edges of the two holes furthest out.

Former11B
18 August 2017, 14:03
So we are looking at a 1:8 or 1:7...

1:7.7 :P

I am using a Rainier barrel on my regular rifle and it checks all those boxes except maybe the "lighter than your typical SPR" (I have no clue how much an SPR weighs).

My barrel is a Rainier Select. UW recommended it when I was doing my first ever build and there is nothing at all to complain about there.

I can tap the targets out to 800 yards with 69 grain SMK. On my long range that I use the 700 yard plate is actually more difficult. An 18" square at 700 yards in the wind is a real bitch sometimes. Plus the placement of that plate is right where it opens up to cross winds but I can do it regularly in the right conditions. On some days that plate is difficult to hit.

On the short end at 100 yards the best group I ever did was about 1/2 MOA at 100 yards for all 10 shots. I don't know the official way to measure groups though. (do you measure from the outside edge of the hole or the center line?) Either way I could cover up all 10 holes with a dime. (.7 inches)

I honestly haven't shot a group (at all) since then...I just wanted to see what it could do at the time. Now I'm not even bothering to weigh my cases or getting super precise powder charges. Accuracy suffers but it's good enough.

Anyway it's definitely possible to do what you're after performance wise. I couldn't be more pleased with mine. I am still trying to figure out the most efficient and effective way to throw the most precise charge in history every time [BD]

I have pretty much some of everything from Rainier, barrel wise. I have a Select barrel (before they were all MEDCON), Match/SPR, and Ultramatch (mod 1).

I've spent time working loads and chasing groups, and shooting targets at distances....I have a couple go-to loads in 69gr and 77gr that work well.

UWone77
18 August 2017, 17:11
Now that's it's going out to you, feel free to post what you're using. [:D]

BoilerUp
18 August 2017, 18:13
Maybe that's why I can't get those 1/4 MOA groups. I've always measured the largest point of the group. Outside edges of the two holes furthest out.

Yeah, that math makes 1/4MOA out of a .308 literally impossible.

Former11B
19 August 2017, 09:59
Letting the cat out of the bag.

http://i.imgur.com/jbOF4qt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/v4uHSKj.jpg

I'm going to be testing a Rainier Arms Ultramatch Mod 2 16" .223 Wylde, intermediate gas barrel

https://www.rainierarms.com/barrels/rainier-arms-ultramatch-mod2-223-wylde-intermediate-800-gas-block-tin-extension-16-satin-10921/?nosto=nosto-page-product1

I chose the fluted model because it's 3oz lighter than the non-fluted version and 10oz lighter than the 18" Ultramatch Mod 2. I thought it was significant enough reduction in weight of a difference with only a slight decrease in velocity due to length that it was worth the shot

I'm looking at getting a Rainier forged lower to complete this; I like the ambi billet lowers but I want the simplicity of the forged lower. I'll get another B5 Bravo/SOPMOD and something from Geissele or CMC to top it off.

I'll be loading up some ammo soon to test

http://i.imgur.com/93ZRMFp.jpg

Jerry R
19 August 2017, 11:56
Nice ! Following this with great interest.

Pyzik
21 August 2017, 06:51
Great looking build so far!

Funny you mention that barrel.... I may or may not be swapping out my BA SPR barrel with an 18" fluted RA mod 2.

Former11B
21 August 2017, 16:40
Great looking build so far!

Funny you mention that barrel.... I may or may not be swapping out my BA SPR barrel with an 18" fluted RA mod 2.

I'll have my 16" by Friday. I hope to be shooting it Saturday!

I've been prepping brass like crazy; I should have a bunch of test ammo loaded in the next couple nights so I can build the rifle Friday and shoot this weekend

Any reason for the 18" ? The fluting helps; the 18" barrel is 6oz lighter than the non fluted version.

UWone77
21 August 2017, 16:49

I've been prepping brass like crazy; I should have a bunch of test ammo loaded in the next couple nights so I can build the rifle Friday and shoot this weekend

Any reason for the 18" ?

Dude this what I like to hear! Can't wait to see the results man.

Next time we need to get you a .308 barrel

Pyzik
21 August 2017, 16:51

Any reason for the 18" ? The fluting helps; the 18" barrel is 6oz lighter than the non fluted version.Just for the little extra oomph and to have something different than 16".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Former11B
22 August 2017, 07:36
Just for the little extra oomph and to have something different than 16".

I like my 18" SPR but with a suppressor, it verges a little on the unwieldy side.

Dude this what I like to hear! Can't wait to see the results man.

Next time we need to get you a .308 barrel

Don't twist my arm or anything [BD]

Pyzik
22 August 2017, 07:46
I like my 18" SPR but with a suppressor, it verges a little on the unwieldy side.

Don't twist my arm or anything [BD]Unfortunately I don't have a suppressor to limit me in length.

Though, now that I have the trust (almost) in place, maybe soon.

Now that I brought that up, I need to email my lawyer. Still nothing from him.

Former11B
22 August 2017, 16:33
Unfortunately I don't have a suppressor to limit me in length.

Though, now that I have the trust (almost) in place, maybe soon.

Now that I brought that up, I need to email my lawyer. Still nothing from him.

The Recce 7 is what you seek

Former11B
23 August 2017, 11:55

Brass prep in progress, priming tonight...powder and bullet seating to follow.

Brass soaked and tumbled four hours. Sized, cases de-lubed, primer pockets have been uniformed and decrimped, case necks chamfered. Ready to shoot some groups!

UWone77
24 August 2017, 08:34

Brass soaked and tumbled four hours. Sized, cases de-lubed, primer pockets have been uniformed and decrimped, case necks chamfered. Ready to shoot some groups!

I'm excited to see what kind of accuracy you'll get out of this. Non-Shilen Blanks for these, so I'm kind of curious if there is a drop off. You're a good shooter, so you'd probably notice before I ever would.

Pyzik
24 August 2017, 08:49

Purdy.

I'm hoping to hit the range next week week and sight in & see how it shoots. A buddy is needing to do the same. I'm limited to 100 yards for now though.
I have to remember to not put the thing together right away and get some pics first. Haha!

Former11B
25 August 2017, 11:05

Former11B
25 August 2017, 11:10
Let the games begin!!!

Former11B
25 August 2017, 16:36
Sneak peak! I'm really excited; this build feels great

alamo5000
25 August 2017, 16:55
Looking good!!

That barrel is awesome looking.

Former11B
25 August 2017, 16:59

I'll post build pics tonight; I've got a few hundred rounds loaded to shoot tomorrow

A SUPER HUGE shoutout to UWone for setting this in motion. And DISCOM for a big parts shipment (including a Harris bipod and the MLOK silicon grip strips...super comfortable!)

Former11B
25 August 2017, 17:09

I really like the detailing on this barrel. The fluting looks excellent, and I really like the Rainier logo near the muzzle. Speaking of that, the beveling on the threads. It looks great and mating the muzzle device was a breeze

Former11B
25 August 2017, 18:22
And I've got a Rainier lower enroute now. Had to do it

UWone77
25 August 2017, 18:43
And I've got a Rainier lower enroute now. Had to do it

Heh.

Mission Accomplished.

But seriously, that escalated quickly. Can't wait to see how she shoots.

Former11B
26 August 2017, 08:55

Load test in progress

Former11B
26 August 2017, 12:17
Shot three hundred rounds. Great day. Even my 55gr FMJ plinkers (22.5gr RE10x) groups were under an inch at 100yds

I tested 6 loads with 77gr TMK and 6 loads with 69gr TMK, and some regular SMKs of the same weight.

I let some girls shoot it who had never shot a rifle and were nervous about their boyfriends rifles but shot mine with NO hesitation and they both loved how soft shooting it was. The intermediate gas system on that 16 inch rifle is really nice

There was a group of friends with some nice rigs, Savage 338LM, Ruger .308 RPR, Dragunov, etc. I had both my Rainier Ultramatch builds out and talked about the Rainier barrels and my suppressors with them

I'll post more about the loads and groups etc later

Former11B
26 August 2017, 16:33

Awww yeah!!!

UWone77
26 August 2017, 17:07
I want to see the groups! You tease.

Former11B
27 August 2017, 13:58
I want to see the groups! You tease.

Yes.....yes!!! Let the tease burn. All those Mini-4 pictures aren't so fun now, are they?? [:D]

http://i.imgur.com/it5zBic.jpg

Rainier Ultramatch Mods 1&2.

I have all the targets in my range bag. The barrel shot amazingly well. I had a guess of where the sweet spots would be based on prior testing of similar barrels and I wasn't disappointed. I'll get them done tonight

Former11B
27 August 2017, 17:33
All right, here were my winning loads. I'm going to load up more of each and also .1gr up and down from these and head back out this coming weekend I hope.

All were 5 round groups (I shot two of each as confirmation groups). I kept shooting the 23.6gr RE15/77gr TMK load because it was just cutting a hole in the target and I didn't want to stop. I pulled one high but 10rd groups are tougher for me.

Above 23.8gr RE15 with the 77gr the shot groups opened WAY up. They were compressed a good bit although I did not see any pressure signs on the spent brass/primer.

I didn't get as good of a result with the 69gr TMKs as I was hoping but I was on the hotter end of the charge scale. I'll try again with some lower charges.

The intermediate gas system is great. EXTREMELY soft shooting, more so than my gas adjusted midlength. I will invest in an adjustable gas block but for now, I'm going to swap in an H2 buffer as the carbine buffer had the ejection at about 2 o'clock suppressed. I honestly can't remember where it was unsuppressed; I'll make note of it next weekend.

UWone77
28 August 2017, 07:28
Looks like some excellent initial results.

I had my doubts they would be as good as the Gen 1 Shilen barrels, it must be that magical TiN Extension. [:D] I'll make sure to get you an adjustable gas block for it.

Slippers
28 August 2017, 07:49
RE15 has been so temperature sensitive for me that I'm scared to use it, especially when I approach max case volume. Your loads look really good with it, though. Keep your ammo out of the sun!

DeviantLogic
28 August 2017, 09:02
Looking good! 77gr TMK's over 23.6 gr of RE15 is what I've been shooting for a while out of a couple barrels. Seems like it might be a sweet spot.

Former11B
28 August 2017, 12:08
Looks like some excellent initial results.

I had my doubts they would be as good as the Gen 1 Shilen barrels, it must be that magical TiN Extension. [:D] I'll make sure to get you an adjustable gas block for it.

That would be awesome. If I didn't shoot suppressed so much, it probably wouldn't be an issue. I'd love to have it if there's one laying around, but I'll check the brass patterns unsuppressed again (and write it down this time [BD] )

RE15 has been so temperature sensitive for me that I'm scared to use it, especially when I approach max case volume. Your loads look really good with it, though. Keep your ammo out of the sun!

I shoot RE15 almost exclusively for heavy .223 and .308, and I have read about the temperature sensitivity, but I've never experienced it. It may be because my ammo is either in mags on my person or in boxes in my range bag...but I shoot the same load all four seasons. I'll pay more attention to it moving forward though.

Looking good! 77gr TMK's over 23.6 gr of RE15 is what I've been shooting for a while out of a couple barrels. Seems like it might be a sweet spot.

23.2gr and 23.0gr also shoots well, it's just a tad slower. For longer ranges, I imagine it would open up more or start dropping a good bit quicker than the 23.6gr load.

Former11B
28 August 2017, 17:14
http://i.imgur.com/KgzJJiZ.jpg

Former11B
4 September 2017, 18:44
Got a CMC flat 3.5lb in bound for it because PSA had a sale going for $129. I have a spare Geissele SSA-E I might end up using but I shot a Geissele 2 stage National Match and it was awesome. We'll see.

Rainier lower is on the way, and I'll be getting other parts to finish it soon. I'll probably leave it black til I can cerakote it

Should be hitting the range this coming weekend for more testing!

Former11B
9 September 2017, 16:07
23.6gr is the ticket! Did some more testing and took more today. It was a GORGEOUS day for shooting; 58* and sunny, warming to 73* around 12:30 when I finished.

I shot some more loads to see if any worked better than the previously established go-to loads.

I tested ejection patterns suppressed and unsuppressed

I did a few mags dumps and got the barrel extremely hot then shot a 5 round precision group to see if accuracy was affected. The result was a very close to MOA (need to measure) group that could've been my fatigue more than anything. I wanted to do that test because I was thinking of the rifle and a designated marksman role. If I needed to provide suppressive fire and then immediately switch to precision fire, would there be any impact on the rifle/barrel's ability to do so? I performed that test after shooting 50 other rounds of various tests charges, so the barrel wasn't spotless (nor should it need to be, IMO)

JMJ
11 September 2017, 07:04
That is an awesome looking rifle! Nice shooting!

GOST
12 September 2017, 05:56
Got a CMC flat 3.5lb in bound for it because PSA had a sale going for $129. I have a spare Geissele SSA-E I might end up using but I shot a Geissele 2 stage National Match and it was awesome. We'll see.

Nice group. I was a Geissele fan till I used a Hiperfire trigger.

Former11B
12 September 2017, 18:00
"Assemble my lower half, my trigger pulling, ammo feeding servant!!!"

mustangfreek
13 September 2017, 02:02
Good stuff, love all the info and pics...

That turned into a nice build

Former11B
13 September 2017, 16:51
All done!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/DQIz6iA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yaaCBVP.jpg

Former11B
19 September 2017, 19:13
More testing tomorrow.

I have some Hornady 73gr ELDs to test

I'm going to be testing 77gr TMKs and 77gr SMKs, both with Federal Gold Medal Match primers and CCI BR4 primers

Will be shooting to 200 and 300 yards as time and fatigue allows (had to cut up three trees and haul them off and my back is done)

Rainier CS said my Avalanche CH should be here soon. I need to call and order a Rainier Ambi selector and a .800" adjustable gas block

Stone
19 September 2017, 19:36
Have you tried the Speer 75g GD's? I am getting some crazy accuracy out of my new 18.5" from them. Even better than the MK262's and Eagle eye 69g.

Former11B
20 September 2017, 12:42
Have you tried the Speer 75g GD's? I am getting some crazy accuracy out of my new 18.5" from them. Even better than the MK262's and Eagle eye 69g.

I haven't tried those. I'm open to it, if I ever see them on the shelf. The Hornady ELDs made me a believer. First five rounds @ 100yds

Jerry R
20 September 2017, 12:49
Nice! Looks like a Prairie Dog load if I ever saw one [adore]

Former11B
20 September 2017, 14:08
Nice! Looks like a Prairie Dog load if I ever saw one [adore]

I thought the exact same thing lol

Got a similar group with 77gr TMKs also. I'll post my primer comparison after I get my kid in bed

Former11B
21 September 2017, 14:38
I was at the range with MCA today. My Geissele SSA-E which has functioned flawlessly for the 3 years I've had it went full tard and burned the remainder of a mag (6 rounds). I held the trigger to the rear to make use of the trigger reset function, which inadvertently caused the event to sustain itself. I Did not experience the malfunction again, after running several magazines through the rifle and intentionally pulling the trigger to the rear is hard as I could.

I have since contacted Geissele and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a new trigger

mustangfreek
22 September 2017, 18:11
Damn that 5 rd string of eld’s looks very promising. I’m lurking lately but appreciate all the info, load specs I dig it.

Curious, have you been cleaning the barrel after the other groups/pics. ?

Former11B
25 September 2017, 17:13
77gr Tipped Match Kings, 23.6gr RE15, BR4 or FGMM primers, 5 rounds, 100 yards

Was seeing if I had any group differences with different match primers. Not really besides pulling one round in the Federal Gold Medal Match primer group.

This barrel flippin shoots!

Mustang; I patched the barrel the first test day up there but decided to stop because I wanted to see if the precision kept up regardless of fouling once I settled on a powder charge

I also dialed my scope in with a specific bullet and primer combo; I was shooting a variety of bullet weights, powders, etc

mustangfreek
26 September 2017, 02:53
Damn that thing is a shooter.. Thise 77gr tank loads look awesome.. Chronomthem by chance.

I got some 77 gr Sierra and nosler loads built, ready to dial in some day

Thanks for the ,I’m curious how it shoots for ya after some rounds thru it..and where accuracy might fall off