PDA

View Full Version : Discuss your GEAR thread?

jeeves915
25 March 2009, 17:57
Hey guys:
I know there is a GREAT thread discussing a user's particular AR layout. I was curious though, if some of you would be willing to share your work/play/training/shtf gear layouts. Some of us less enlightened members would probably hugely benefit from the experience you guys.

Thanks!
-Adam

rob_s
25 March 2009, 18:02
My take(s) can be found here

Evolution of a Chest Rig (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/50303.html)
and
Load Carriage for Training Classes (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/56227.html)

More important than any "I use an ZYX because of ACB" is the following excerpted from the second link

First and foremost, the gear must work for you, in your intended role, and not encumber other items of necessity. What the hell does that mean? It means that you need to select your gear as a system, not as individual parts and pieces that may conflict with one another, and that the items in this system will have a priority list. For example, civilians (both LE and non) will most often have a primary focus on a handgun because that's what they are most likely to have on their person in an emergency. Whether attached to a duty belt, attached to a pants belt in plain sight, or attached to a pants belt and concealed, the handgun is the primary weapon for the vast majority of civilians. As such, it's the gun you're most likely to have on your person when a need for a firearm arises. At best it is likely to be the tool you use to "fight your way to your carbine". So, does it make sense to choose a load carriage system that doesn't work with your handgun in it's normal mode of carry? If you're a police officer that carries a rifle and load carriage system in the trunk, does it make sense to select a vest that covers your holstered duty weapon when you put it on? It is critical to make gear selections that complement one another.

Secondly, and keeping the above in mind, is a layering approach to the system. Start with your primary handgun in it's CCW/duty rig with spare magazine(s) and other daily carry gear, and build from there. If attending pistol-only training then here is where it should end; bring your CCW/duty holster and mag pouch(es) and be done. You may wish to add a dump pouch attached to the belt for carrying additional ammunition or magazines to the line, but this pouch should be used to feed the belt-mounted magazine pouches and not the gun. From there, begin to add gear in the same way as you would in an emergency situation. What is the least amount of gear you might be able to grab with a rifle? The gun itself? Perhaps a spare mag with it stuffed in a pants pocket? A spare mag in a belt-mounted carrier? A bandoleer? A chest rig? A full armored plate-carrier? Build up layers as you would in real life and based on your role. Remember that it all has to work together as a system.

FortTom
14 June 2012, 09:56
Hey guys:
I know there is a GREAT thread discussing a user's particular AR layout. I was curious though, if some of you would be willing to share your work/play/training/shtf gear layouts. Some of us less enlightened members would probably hugely benefit from the experience you guys.

Thanks!
-Adam
Adam, that might be a little confusing, because, actually the froum is pretty well already built with the various threads that way. Also, for many here our work/play(shooting games)/training/shtf gear may involve numerous weapons and the gear layouts might be different for the same person. For example, I'm retired military, and do not work in LE0/SWAT/Defense industry/Government Agencies/etc.., so, although I have gear suitable for that use, I'd have a lot of ground to cover, that can be more appropriately placed in other threads.
Also, since I don't work for said agencies, some of that gear will be sold off or traded. That would still require multiple posts in different threads. I can't speak for the Admins or Mods, but I think the current layout will fit all of your needs. Just go to the appropriate thread and post your questions. Subscribe to the thread, and check "get instant emails to responses". I've only been a member here for a short time, but I see that when people ask questions, usually one or more will jump on it and try to answer really quickly.

FT

markm
15 June 2012, 04:09
There's just too many possibilies and personal requirements. Man.... it's been so long since I embraced the gear faggotry, I literally had to open my closet this week and make sure my gear was still where I had left it.

My only preference is that the front of my body be slick for prone shooting.

oregonshooter
17 June 2012, 17:27
M4carbine.net has a good thread on SHTF setups that range from swat to
Mil to civy setups. I learned a lot from it when I built my setup.

Doesn't seem like there is enough interest on this board.

If it sticks to the "explain" part and doesn't become a picture only thread I think it would be a good resource for the site.

My system is edc/edc enhanced (owb with tlr1 on G17 and AR mag to belt, then full PC and 3day pack.

I'm game to share if others do.

@mark, does that mean you don't
practice with you gear much?