PDA

View Full Version : 308 Aero Precision hunting rig

JMJ
2 September 2017, 12:22

Not the greatest pic, but I'll get a better one when I finally get to go sight it in and function check it.

Aero Precision M5 LR308 matching receivers
Ballistic Advantage 20" medium heavy melonite treated CMV barrel
Aero Precision nitride BCG
Aero Precision LPK and trigger (which actually feels quite nice to me)
Aero Precision M5 gen 2 handguard
Hogue grip
Magpul MOE A2 length fixed stock
A2 length 308 buffer tube, buffer and spring also from Aero Precision
Aero Precision standard .750 gasblock and rifle length gas tube

The scope is a Leupold VX2 3-9x50mm I've had for 20 years or so in a hexnut Burris PEPR mount that was mounted on my Bushmaster Predator. I know the PEPR mount isn't the greatest and definitely not well liked by the crowd here at WEVO, but it's what I had on hand for the time being so I can start shooting this build I've been slowly putting together since December 2015.

My intention for this rifle is primarily hunting whitetails and hogs so the scope will serve that purpose well for me. If/when priorities allow I may try to upgrade to a Vortex Viper in either the 2-10x or 4-16x range to play with distance shooting. Since this rifle's main purpose will be hunting deer and hogs in thick woods out of box stands and climbers I opted for the 20" barrel to reduce muzzleblast and flash. I was also trying to focus on the most reliable 308 AR I could build for my purposes and from my reading it seems 20" rifle length gas barrel and an A2 length buffer system would fill that bill.

I was shocked that the completed rifle weighs 9.5#, slightly less than my Bushmaster Predator 5.56. Should be a great carry gun in the woods with my MS4 sling set at two position and more handy out a box stand than my 28" barreled(including muzzlebrake)7mmRM Abolt rifle.

Joelski
2 September 2017, 13:38
Sweet cannon, bro! The countdown begins. Post the bodycount!

JMJ
2 September 2017, 14:01
I had the great motivation of my buddy dropping 500 rounds of M118LR on me at Christmas. Definitely anxious to decimate some swine with it.

Joelski
3 September 2017, 05:26
Maybe that's the boot in the behind I need to get a large frame rifle going. I definitely want to do a long barreled, large bore gun, probably a .308 just because I am eyeing that Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor.

Glass gets to be a problem with more than one rifle, but since people like to point out that we can only shoot one gun at a time, a single nice scope on a QD mount should work nicely for me. The other reason I want to build the big AR is most of my shooting is done on private property, so I'm much more of a plinker than a target shooter. That, and hopefully some day my state will allow rifle calibers other than straight-walled cartridges for hunting non-varmint game.

JMJ
3 September 2017, 05:54
I really enjoyed building this one. I'll admit I was a bit paranoid about it from my initial research because of people having reliability issues. That was my main reason for not straying from Aero's parts so that I could be more confident that everything should work well together. I had considered other barrels, but BA seemed to have a great reputation along with really liking their barrel I used in my 16" 5.56.

I'm in the same boat as you with mostly shooting on private land. I am fairly limited on distances past 200 yards though. If I get a gong I could probably set up something in the marsh behind my inlaw's property and really reach out, not to mention I'd like to see what a 175gr SMK does to a nutria at distance.

I never really considered sharing a scope that way, but it makes sense with the mounts they have now. If my memory serves me right you'd also be to share mags with the Ruger Precision rifle as well. The other thing building a large frame AR would open up for you is doing a hunting upper in straight walled rounds like .450 Marlin or 45 Raptor in a he event they don't change the regs. I know there's factory ammo available for the Marlin. I definitely do not understand those regs though with what I've read about y'all deer population. Seems like they're reaching pest level status.

GOST
3 September 2017, 09:34
Nice rifle, now let's see some groups.

Stickman
3 September 2017, 10:08
And a picture of it on a lighter background. Try your porch or concrete garage floor on a cloudy day

JMJ
3 September 2017, 13:36
Nice rifle, now let's see some groups.

Thanks! I'm hoping I can get a range day soon.

JMJ
3 September 2017, 13:37
And a picture of it on a lighter background. Try your porch or concrete garage floor on a cloudy day

Thanks for the tip!

Jerry R
3 September 2017, 14:55
Very nice build !!

JMJ
3 September 2017, 15:19
Very nice build !!

Thank you!

JMJ
10 September 2017, 17:13

Finally had the opportunity for a pic in the backyard in cloudy evening light. Still a crappy iPhone pic, but I'm happier with this shot over the one above.

Stone
10 September 2017, 17:24
Take a look at the MK319 as well. Some guys are posting phenomenal terminal results on hogs.

JMJ
10 September 2017, 19:01
Thanks I'll look into those also.

BoilerUp
10 September 2017, 20:13
Much better picture! And nice rifle. Looks a lot like my Aero Precion AR build with a 6.8 SPC barrel that I used for white tail season two years ago.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-j54jZMR/1/0401a646/X2/i-j54jZMR-X2.jpg

I ultimately ended up switching the stock to an adjustable carbine style so I had a bit more flexibility of LOP and compactness.

JMJ
10 September 2017, 20:22
Much better picture! And nice rifle. Looks a lot like my Aero Precion AR build with a 6.8 SPC barrel that I used for white tail season two years ago.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-j54jZMR/1/0401a646/X2/i-j54jZMR-X2.jpg

I ultimately ended up switching the stock to an adjustable carbine style so I had a bit more flexibility of LOP and compactness.

Thanks!

Wow like a smaller twin brother! I've been really curious about the newer Hogue grips with the beaver tail like your's. I've never handled an AR with a beaver tailed grip, what does it change in the feel/handling of the rifle?

BoilerUp
10 September 2017, 20:58
Thanks!

Wow like a smaller twin brother! I've been really curious about the newer Hogue grips with the beaver tail like your's. I've never handled an AR with a beaver tailed grip, what does it change in the feel/handling of the rifle?

I'm a big buy with large hands, so I appreciate the extra distance between the trigger and the web of my thumb and pointer finger. All my ARs have beavertail grips except one purpose built for the smaller people of the household. Carnies (small hands, smell like cabbage) probably don't need them.

JMJ
11 September 2017, 04:35
I'm a big buy with large hands, so I appreciate the extra distance between the trigger and the web of my thumb and pointer finger. All my ARs have beavertail grips except one purpose built for the smaller people of the household. Carnies (small hands, smell like cabbage) probably don't need them.

Ok I'd probably benefit from those as well, I wear XL-XXL Mechanix gloves. I may pick one up and put the normal Hogue on my son's carbine. Thanks for explaining!