PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint CompM5

GOST
12 September 2017, 08:42

The CompM5™ is a high performance red dot sight developed for military and law enforcement applications. Aimpoint red dot sights are designed for the “both eyes open” method which greatly enhances situational awareness and target acquisition. Thanks to the optical design the red dot follows the movement of the user’s eye while remaining fixed on target, eliminating any need for centering.
The CompM5 allows for unlimited eye relief and is compatible with Aimpoint 3XMag-1 and 6XMag-1 magnifiers as well as all generations of Night Vision Devices (NVD).
The battery life for the CompM5 is over 5 years of continuous use while at the pos. 7, more than 1 year of use at pos. 8, and more than 10 years at NVD settings (pos. 1 to 4).

UNIQUE FEATURES

Mountable on MIL-STD 1913 Rail system/Picatinny rail
Advanced optical lenses with a protective front window
High, AAA battery compartment
Compatible with every generation of NVD
2 MOA dot for close combat and long distance engagement
Matches perfectly with Aimpoint® 3XMag-1 and 6XMag-1 magnifiers
Excellent light transmission
Extremely robust housing design, same ruggedness as the CompM4 sights with less weight
Submersible to a depth of 45 m (150 ft)
Mount base is keyed into to the body of the sight to absorb recoil
Weight 238 g (8.4 oz) standard configuration, sight only 148 g (5.2 oz)
ACET technology allows 50,000 hours (over 5 years) of constant operation with one battery
4 NVD settings and 6 daylight settings
Mechanical switch for speed and reliability

https://us.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-compm5/

GOST
12 September 2017, 09:41
It's being rumored that the MSRP of the CompM5 with LRP mount and 39mm spacer is $1,068.00.[wow]

Tyrannosaur
12 September 2017, 09:57
Damn! Was really into this until that msrp... man do I want one though

Vel
15 September 2017, 08:22
I'll stick with my m4s for those kind of prices.

UWone77
15 September 2017, 12:43

UWone77
15 September 2017, 12:44

Got these photos from a group I'm in. Guy has been using them in his assignment for several months allegedly. Looks nice, but the price. Ouch.

GOST
15 September 2017, 13:12
Wish it would have had a slightly bigger lens.

voodoo_man
15 September 2017, 14:37
Was there an issue with the t2 which prompted this type of added, everything, including price?

Joelski
15 September 2017, 14:52
They sure seem awful proud of it. Nothing compelling over a T1, IMO. For that money, I'd rather buy an ACOG. I grew out of buying bold, new graphics/fluff years ago.

voodoo_man
15 September 2017, 15:38
They sure seem awful proud of it. Nothing compelling over a T1, IMO. For that money, I'd rather buy an ACOG. I grew out of buying bold, new graphics/fluff years ago.

Acog?

You meant to say variable magnified optic...

Joelski
15 September 2017, 18:18
Nope. I'd rather have an ACOG because I don't have one yet.

voodoo_man
15 September 2017, 19:02

That's why you want one.

I'll never buy an ACOG again. A decent 1-6x pisses all over it.

Stone
15 September 2017, 20:14
Um, what are we covering up here?? [pop]

UWone77
15 September 2017, 20:52

Kudos to service members who can shoot with an ACOG.

I can't get on board with an ACOG. Still have a TA-31, but probably wouldn't do another. As voodoo man pointed out, a decent 1-6 all day for me over an ACOG.

gatordev
16 September 2017, 05:00

A T-2 works significantly better with a magnifier than the T-1 does, especially for those with more "well-worn" eyes.

Stone
16 September 2017, 08:52
Maybe I am missing something but why would you want a bulkier optic when the T2 and mount is smaller and costs $250 less. Looks like they are competing with themselves...

gatordev
16 September 2017, 14:41
Maybe I am missing something but why would you want a bulkier optic when the T2 and mount is smaller and costs $250 less. Looks like they are competing with themselves...

I'm a little confused on how big this thing is. Since it's a CompMx, it's a 30mm tube, right? If so, then that's why it's bigger and still a selling point, since you get a little more FOV. But I can't find any listing of the size of the objective in the specifications, just that the "width" of the overall optic is 40mm.

GOST
16 September 2017, 14:48
Aimpoint's PDF say's it has a 18mm aperture, the same as a T-2.

gatordev
16 September 2017, 15:38
Well then...I'm out of ideas on why this is awesome, other than a different battery. Something I guess would help with it getting a NSN.

Stone
16 September 2017, 17:19
Maybe its the fact that you can dive down to 150ft. with it and only 80 with the T2. You know, there are a lot of bad guys hanging out around 120ft looking for trouble...:P

Joelski
16 September 2017, 18:13
I tried one and liked it. Sorry you guys don't. It'll go on a rifle with a specific purpose that requires neither a red dot, or excessive magnification.

docsherm
17 September 2017, 14:44
Well Aimpoint just went full retard..... AAA batteries? WTF?????

I would by 2 EoTechs and keep one for a spare in the unlikely event that I would ever need it before spending that kind of money on that.

FortTom
17 September 2017, 15:40
I've liked all of my Aimpoints. Couldn't work up any love for EoTechs, tried two, and only shot about 20-30 rounds through an ACOG (a friends), but there was no "instant love" for that, but who knows how I'd feel, had I trained with one from the beginning like some of the younger crowds here. But good grief, that's, in my opinion, a stupid crazy price for an Aimpoint, especially that one, so unless I run across a friend who has one, I guess I'll never have any more to say about it, except I'm wondering if Aimpoint just flat ran out of ideas for anything new in the Comp series, and just threw some crap against the wall to see if It would stick.[crazy]

FT[:D]

alamo5000
17 September 2017, 16:16
Was there an issue with the t2 which prompted this type of added, everything, including price?

I was about to ask the same thing. I got a T2... honestly my first top notch 'good' optic and I would buy another should the need arise.

If I was in the market I would be asking exactly what you asked.

alamo5000
17 September 2017, 16:31

According to this web page the only difference (other than the new one is a bit bigger) is that the M5 is rated as a primary use on a light machine gun. Maybe the military needed a bit bulkier optic for some machine gun use? That would be my guess...

https://us.aimpoint.com/products/military-le/firearm-applications/

https://us.aimpoint.com/fileadmin/_processed_/1/6/csm_General_technical_data_PROF_ENG_LoRes_WebFirea rmsApplications_f425ed55ea.jpg

alamo5000
17 September 2017, 16:32
BTW what would be considered a 'light machine gun' in military terms?

BoilerUp
17 September 2017, 16:42
BTW what would be considered a 'light machine gun' in military terms?

5.56 e.g., SAW

Slippers
17 September 2017, 16:54
T2 works just fine on a light machine gun. [BD]

https://i.imgur.com/XJPqC9d.jpg

alamo5000
17 September 2017, 17:00
T2 works just fine on a light machine gun. [BD]

https://i.imgur.com/XJPqC9d.jpg

So is that an invitation to come over??[:D]

alamo5000
17 September 2017, 17:15
5.56 e.g., SAW

"Mount base is keyed into to the body of the sight to absorb recoil"

This is another difference that I see in the specs. What that means in terms of machine work I don't really know.

Slippers
17 September 2017, 17:33
So is that an invitation to come over??[:D]

Sure, just bring good factory 5.56mm ammo and be prepared to link it up. [:)]

"Mount base is keyed into to the body of the sight to absorb recoil"

This is another difference that I see in the specs. What that means in terms of machine work I don't really know.

The T1/T2 have the same thing. There's a crosswise slot on the underside of the optic and matching protrusion on any decent mount. This puts the stress on the mount and optic body, rather than the screws.

GOST
18 September 2017, 02:27
$797 for no mount option.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/aimpoint-compm5-2moa-red-dot-sight.html

Default.mp3
18 September 2017, 15:28
Maybe I am missing something but why would you want a bulkier optic when the T2 and mount is smaller and costs $250 less. Looks like they are competing with themselves...The CompM5 was born out of a program requirement. Someone asked Aimpoint to make it (DoS, IIRC), and Aimpoint complied.

AAA batteries have a logistical advantage for some agencies, apparently, enough to warrant a new optic.

Because I don’t want to waste my limited budget on hundreds of dollars for each shipment to ship a few lithium batteries somewhere. Remember, lithium batteries are HAZMAT which costs a lot. Then add in the carrier costs to ship to some countries/areas well beyond the home/personal shipping you’re used to. By the way, FedEx and UPS don’t ship to every country in the world. Sometimes it’s DHL or another carrier. They’re even more expensive. I ship large quantities of batteries and constantly. Multiply hundreds of dollars for each shipment across a year of shipping and the cost would be staggering.

I need to spend my limited budget on weapons, optics, ammo and other gear instead of wasting most of my budget on shipping costs. It’s nowhere as simple as most assume. I’m supporting over 280 diplomatic missions in just about every country there is and with basically no organic logistical shipping capabilities. The scope of what we’re supporting is well beyond your assumptions.Source: http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/06/a-new-aimpoint-aa-powered-micro-variant/#comment-858940

Stone
19 September 2017, 19:43
OP tactical $797 $5 shipping. http://www.optactical.com/aico2moadotr.html