PDA

View Full Version : Wrench for Aero BAR barrel nut?

Uffdaphil
28 September 2017, 11:36
Ever have a build where you think you have everything at hand and you will be able to hit the range tomorrow? That’s where I was 3 weeks ago.

But then I needed to order a Griffin fixed barrel spacer to direct thread my Rev9 on the 8” AR9 barrel. Then I saw that with the 9” Aero enhanced Gen2 rail I could tuck the can inside for more grip space than the 7” I had. It uses a BAR barrel nut and the instructions say “standard AR15 armorer’s wrench“ so between my Magpul, and cheap Tapco I’m all set, right? Not so fast bucko. It’s needs the 3 round hole nut end type. The Magpul has 3 square pegs that don’t line up anyway and the Tapco has no pegs at all.

So what are you using for the BAR nut? Aim sports has a wrench with the three round pegs, but on close up it looks like really cheap construction. And one of the pegs was shorter than the others and rounded off. If the MN Twins hadn’t just made the post-season I’d be grrring.

Joelski
28 September 2017, 11:42
The Wheeler wrench works fine. If you have Amazon prime you can be holding it Friday.

SINNER
28 September 2017, 12:17
My Tapco has the pins on it. Only reason I still have it was for oddball barrel nuts.

Uffdaphil
28 September 2017, 12:34
Thanks. This model? I assume the round pins are on the reverse as I can find no pics. Amazon appears to be out except for the $280 kit.

Uffdaphil
28 September 2017, 12:37
My Tapco has the pins on it. Only reason I still have it was for oddball barrel nuts.

Thanks I’ll check out that one too.

Joelski
28 September 2017, 13:08
I have the older Tapco wrench and the pins wouldn't line up with the Seekins barrel nut, or any of the cheaper ones on the market. The Wheeler worked, and has decent bits for gas blocks, etc.. I'd send you mine, but it's the only thing I have now that'll do castle nuts.

Joelski
28 September 2017, 13:09
Yep, that's it.

Uffdaphil
28 September 2017, 14:42
Thanks again for the input guys. I ordered the Wheeler.