PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision SBR/Pistol build

UWone77
6 October 2017, 23:12
Warning, there are no pictures in this first post. [BD] Sorry to disappoint, but I'm in the planning stages, so not every part is set in stone. I recently took apart 3 existing rifles, so a lot of the parts decisions rode on what parts I could cannibalized from the tear downs.

I ended up ordering 2 Aero Precision Lowers. Decided to use the new M4E1 Lowers. Black one will be an SBR, FDE one will be a pistol.

Pistol specs so far:

Lower:

Aero Precision M4E1 FDE Lower
SB Tactical PDW 3 position Brace
Battle Arms Development 45 degree BAD-ASS
Battle Arms Development Enhanced Bolt Catch
Battle Arms Development EPS Pins
Xtech Tactical Grip
7075 Mil Spec Receiver Extension
Fortis Manufacturing QD End Plate
H2 Buffer / Spring
Trigger?

Upper:

Aero Precision Enhanced FDE Upper
Aero Precision BCG
Aero Precision Iron Sights
Radian Weapons Raptor
Cross Machine Tool JAG Gas Block
Barrel?
Handguard?
Muzzle Device?

All the parts listed are in, except the lower. The parts with question marks I haven't decided on yet. I don't like braces, but on this build I decided to make an exception and go with the SB Tactical. The purpose of the pistol build is a "truck gun." I have a secure, discreet location to place it in, but it won't be left in the vehicle overnight. Because it's a pistol, I'll leave it loaded as recent events have unfolded.... I think it's a good idea to have more than just a Glock 43 on my hip.

I've got some choices with the barrel. I could use an existing 7.5" Rainier Arms Barrel, Ultramatch, nitrided and use a Cross Machine Tool Mod 4 7" Rail I have coming. I could also go with a 10.5" Rainier UltraMatch that I already have with a Geissele MK4 9.5" I'm still debating as I do want to keep it compact, but 7.5" is loud, really loud. Since I already have existing PDW SBR's, I'm leaning 10.5"

SBR

Lower:

Aero Precision M4E1 Lower
Battle Arms Development 45 degree BAD-ASS
Battle Arms Development Enhanced Bolt Catch
Battle Arms Development EPS Pins
Magpul MOE Grip
7075 Mil Spec Receiver Extension
Fortis Manufacturing QD End Plate
Magpul STR Stock
H2 Buffer / Spring
Geissele SSA

Upper:

Aero Precision Enhanced Upper
Aero Precision Nitride BCG
Aero Precision Rear Sight
Radian Weapons Raptor
Aero Precision 10.5" FSB Barrel
Cross Machine Tool 7" Quad Rail
Muzzle Device?

Main purpose of this gun is to SBR a lower to match several existing M4E1 Enhanced uppers. However, this will be more of a MK18 Mod 0'ish and heavy emphasis on the "ish" I'm just a big fan of 10.3/10.5" FSB Uppers. They are fun to shoot and I still like FSB. Should just be a fun shorty to shoot at the range. I'll have to check what suppressor mounts I have left, but this one will definitely get a can.

Most of the parts for this build are in hand, but obviously won't be able to assemble the gun together until my stamp comes back.

Pictures to come after some assembly/progress is made!

Big_Tom
7 October 2017, 00:08
Sounds like a man with a plan. Can't wait to see some pics.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

BoilerUp
7 October 2017, 07:01
SBR

Upper:

Aero Precision Enhanced Upper
Aero Precision Nitride BCG
Aero Precision Rear Sight
Radian Weapons Raptor
Aero Precision 10.5" FSB Barrel
Cross Machine Tool 7" Quad Rail
Muzzle Device?

I'm fairly certain you can't use that CMT rail on the Aero enhanced uppers. You'll need to stick with handguards that mount within the BAR spec (besides Aero, you have Seekins and Spikes..not sure who else makes BARs). From Aero's webpage, here is what a FSB with an Aero Enhanced handguard looks like:

Spike's BAR2 rail would give you more rail space, though:

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/rails/products/parts-rails-bar2

The Aero COP would be an interesting choice for one of these but Aero doesn't seem to be pushing those much anymore.

UWone77
7 October 2017, 08:41
I'm fairly certain you can't use that CMT rail on the Aero enhanced uppers. You'll need to stick with handguards that mount within the BAR spec (besides Aero, you have Seekins and Spikes..not sure who else makes BARs). From Aero's webpage, here is what a FSB with an Aero Enhanced handguard looks like:

Spike's BAR2 rail would give you more rail space, though:

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/rails/products/parts-rails-bar2

The Aero COP would be an interesting choice for one of these but Aero doesn't seem to be pushing those much anymore.

Sorry I meant to say Gen 2, the Enhanced looking uppers without the BAR nut. I wouldn't do a BAR style handguard ever again.

BoilerUp
7 October 2017, 11:27
Sorry I meant to say Gen 2, the Enhanced looking uppers without the BAR nut. I wouldn't do a BAR style handguard ever again.

Gotchya. And I didn't realize they are doing an M4E1 upper that isn't "enhanced" (i.e., with integral BAR nut). Seems like they should have given those a different name.

I have one BAR handguard left. I like it well enough, but have been going skinny on my builds. And I'm a fan of BCM/SLR style mounting where you don't have to worry about stripping threads in a receiver or barrel nut.

JMJ
7 October 2017, 16:23
Just curious about the receiver extension you listed for the pistol build, is it a standard "keyed" mil spec extension? I've looked through SB Tactical's website and couldn't find any that were compatible with a "keyed" extension. The only brace type device I'm aware of that's compatible with them is the Thordsen customs setup.

I'd be interested to know about other options though. I've got an extra complete rifle upper sitting around with an 18" middy bull barrel that I've considered switching it down the road to either a 10.5" BA barrel and building a pistol lower as a truck gun or just swapping the barrel for a 16.5" BA Hansen barrel as a light weight upper for my wife. Thanks ahead of time for any information.

Joelski
7 October 2017, 20:34
Yes, the detents for an adjustable length of pull, probably also help make the brace fit more comfortably. I vote 10.5", but I'm biased as hell.

UWone77
8 October 2017, 21:04
Just curious about the receiver extension you listed for the pistol build, is it a standard "keyed" mil spec extension? I've looked through SB Tactical's website and couldn't find any that were compatible with a "keyed" extension. The only brace type device I'm aware of that's compatible with them is the Thordsen customs setup.

I'd be interested to know about other options though. I've got an extra complete rifle upper sitting around with an 18" middy bull barrel that I've considered switching it down the road to either a 10.5" BA barrel and building a pistol lower as a truck gun or just swapping the barrel for a 16.5" BA Hansen barrel as a light weight upper for my wife. Thanks ahead of time for any information.

Yeah you're right, just cutting and pasting some of the specs and parts, got ahead of myself. The SB Tactical brace comes with it's own receiver extension.

Yes, the detents for an adjustable length of pull, probably also help make the brace fit more comfortably. I vote 10.5", but I'm biased as hell.

I think you're right, this probably needs 10.5" I'll play with it a bit.

JMJ
9 October 2017, 11:42
Yeah you're right, just cutting and pasting some of the specs and parts, got ahead of myself. The SB Tactical brace comes with it's own receiver extension.

I think you're right, this probably needs 10.5" I'll play with it a bit.

Thanks! I'm really liking the look of their new SOB model, seems really sleek and low profile.

mustangfreek
10 October 2017, 03:07
What’s your impression of the sb brace ?

Hummm ..I’m really starting to like my 10.5 pistol but a small collapsible 7.5” would be alright..10.5 with a a2 is loud and bright as shit at Dusk/ dark and can imagine the 7.5 being obnoxious...but forward muzzle device or something to calm it down..

UWone77
16 October 2017, 04:04

Pyzik
16 October 2017, 09:43
Following. Sounds like a nice build

UWone77
18 October 2017, 20:56

fledge
18 October 2017, 21:31
Love watching this evolve.

Btw, congrats on reaching 1000 posts on IG. I’m baffled why you don’t have more followers.

UWone77
20 October 2017, 08:49

UWone77
20 October 2017, 08:50
Love watching this evolve.

Btw, congrats on reaching 1000 posts on IG. I’m baffled why you don’t have more followers.

Started the IG game late. But thanks, I try to put decent content out there.

fledge
20 October 2017, 10:11

Why did you choose the BA bolt catch over the FC or Geissele?

UWone77
20 October 2017, 10:27
Why did you choose the BA bolt catch over the FC or Geissele?

Basically because I had 2 and really no other bolt catches avail.

SINNER
20 October 2017, 11:18
Great looking builds you have going.

UWone77
21 October 2017, 09:08

Pyzik
21 October 2017, 09:10
4419Moving right along.

Those grips though.... [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

UWone77
22 October 2017, 10:27
Normally hate braces, but sometimes you just have to do it, if you want to keep it in the car and/or not wait 350 days for a stamp. I'll have to try to find a FDE one.

Pyzik
22 October 2017, 12:35
Normally hate braces, but sometimes you just have to do it, if you want to keep it in the car and/or not wait 350 days for a stamp. I'll have to try to find a FDE one.

4426Well that's about the coolest brace you can have

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Aragorn
22 October 2017, 13:35

Sharp looking.

UWone77
23 October 2017, 05:46

mustangfreek
24 October 2017, 01:29
That fde pistol turned out great.

I know it’s new but first impressions on the brace? Does it feel cheap or is it decently made for 2 bills, I’ve been wanting one for a while..just not sure

UWone77
24 October 2017, 06:02

SINNER
24 October 2017, 06:58
I really like that pistol. Nice job!

UWone77
25 October 2017, 05:48

UWone77
25 October 2017, 05:48
I really like that pistol. Nice job!

Now the long wait for the other...... [BD]

Big_Tom
25 October 2017, 07:59
The FDE is a nice gun. Looks good.
Now the long wait for the other...... [BD]Im in the same boat. Can't wait till the stamp comes in. Just so I can install a stock cause the pistol tube I have is not very appealing. Lol

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

UWone77
28 October 2017, 06:44

UWone77
30 October 2017, 04:05

UWone77
6 January 2018, 04:03

UWone77
19 May 2018, 20:49
And the SBR is approved.

UWone77
22 May 2018, 21:48