PDA

View Full Version : New Griffin can getting ready to drop...

Former11B
15 October 2017, 21:52
Sneak peak

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaHn2SVB6J6/

alamo5000
15 October 2017, 21:55
I am already on the wait list.

A .22 LR can that can withstand a full auto 5.56 mag dump and is rated up to .22-250...

Former11B
26 October 2017, 16:08
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBaMttR4c5w&feature=youtu.be

Optimus Micro

tact
26 October 2017, 17:22
Meh......

UWone77
26 October 2017, 17:57
Meh......

Exactly. Nothing to see here... move along.

Former11B
26 October 2017, 18:07
If I had a 5.7 gun, I’d be all over it. They sound way better with larger cans than a typical .22 suppressor.

I don’t think the full benefit of this can is being recognized at all

These meter 136dB on a 16” AR. Not bad for a. Ultra light hunting rig or something you want to knock the edge off of. Probably meters the same at 8oz as my 17oz direct thread 5.56 can.

Griffin said:

“We asked ourselves what would be cool if a rimfire can could do that? We already made a 3 lug .22lr can for 11 years. We thought it would be cool if we could take a tiny rimfire can and legitimately put it on something like a 14.5" AR or a 20" A2 in the out of box configuration and shoot 5.56mm through it. We thought, why not also make it compatible with a standard 9mm pistol 3 lug mount we make so it could have parts commonality with items already in a customers collection? We thought if the 5.3" can will take 14.5" 5.56mm, why not also make a taper mount interface and accept those mounts. And while doing that, why not design it so it can take 22-250, or 222 Remington, or 22 nosler? And then we made the can and realized it was even cooler than we imagined it could be. That it was just awesome to push a Surefire D60 through a take apart rimfire can.

Does it do everything? No. Is it compromised for rimfire use? Absolutely not. It meters 115 on a pistol, 116 on a rifle, it is quiet, it is short. It is lighter and more quiet than the old (and weaker 5.7mm rated) 9.5 or 10 ounce SWR Spectre .22lr that really was popular in its time when we had a 3.5 ounce Checkmate that wasn't as popular.

alamo5000
26 October 2017, 18:51
Meh......

Exactly. Nothing to see here... move along.

Just out of curiosity why the cold reception?

I have my own thoughts right off the bat but I am interested in hearing what other people have to say first.

Initially I was going to get one of these as soon as it dropped but I will do some side by side comparisons first.

Former11B
26 October 2017, 18:56

I have my own thoughts right off the bat but I am interested in hearing what other people have to say first.

Initially I was going to get one of these as soon as it dropped but I will do some side by side comparisons first.

Some people don’t have a use for it but I really see potential. Would be GREAT for a PS90 or 5.7 pistol. 136dB, 1.1” diameter and 8oz? I wouldn’t notice that on my hunting rig!

UWone77
26 October 2017, 19:12

It's not Griffin.

But until someone brings out some crazy new alloy or a different approach to baffle stack suppressors, they're all pretty much the same.

alamo5000
26 October 2017, 19:31
Some people don’t have a use for it but I really see potential. Would be GREAT for a PS90 or 5.7 pistol. 136dB, 1.1” diameter and 8oz? I wouldn’t notice that on my hunting rig!

Versatility is a good thing. I don't doubt for 10 miliseconds that this will be a hard core tough as nails can. That said I am curious now about several things regarding .22 cans in general.

I am going to do some homework and see what I can come up with...

A few questions/observations so far...

A quick perusal of Silencer Shop's site shows that most of the rimfire cans are baffle stacks instead of monocore. One would think monocore would be more consistent merely because the orientation of the "baffles" will be the same no matter what. That said I could be wrong and I am definitely in the minority per Silencer Shop's offerings.

I notice with my Revolution 9 that when I take it all apart and put it back together I get POI shift. It's easily correctable but it makes me wonder. Best I can tell is with a baffle stack can you will zero, dirty up the can some, and DON'T clean it for a while.

I really have a lot of questions to ask or figure out the answers to. I can configure my Revolution 9 for .22 and it's quiet as hell.

Lots and lots of questions about what would be my best bet (if anything) in this arena.

alamo5000
26 October 2017, 19:35
It's not Griffin.

But until someone brings out some crazy new alloy or a different approach to baffle stack suppressors, they're all pretty much the same.

That was the first thing that I noticed too was it's a baffle stack. I have no idea if that helps or hurts anything.

If you want different check out the Q Erector.

As for .22 cans I am really not sure what (if anything) I feel would be the best option for me.

I am ALL for versatility. I would rather have a can that is way over built than anything that is under built. That said I am not really sure if or what is the best thing for me.

Former11B
26 October 2017, 19:57
Monocores tend to have more FRP. I like my .22 can mono, though; it’s minimal and is gone after a shot is fired or a CC of water, and I don’t have to clean a bunch of baffles. Pretty easy. My 9mm can, the K baffles can only go in ONE way and all I have to do is orient the s/n on the can to the same direction and it’s all back in the same position as last time. Not familiar hands on wise with many other designs when it comes to the subtleties of individual design differences

alamo5000
26 October 2017, 21:18
Here are a couple of other thoughts that are specific to me (not Griffin).

I am going to build a really nice 10/22 (100% KIDD). I have more than half the parts now.

In the mean time I have what I call a 'franken 10-22' which was made up of a bunch of random parts from a gun that was given to me. Shooting that frakengun suppressed I have noticed a few other things. It gets dirty and gums up (or so it seems) after a bit of suppressed shooting. I guess that just comes with the turf. I am not that sure if this is other people's experience. It's very possible that my current 10/22 is a POS but I would like to hear other people's experience shooting a lot suppressed .22 out of a 10/22.

My 5.56 SBR I can run that suppressed and to be honest I don't recall cleaning it for a really long time. I don't know but it seems like a 10/22 requires a lot more cleaning. Again this could just be my POS gun pieced together from donated parts.

Shooting subsonics through a 10/22 is a pain in the ass. Most of the ammo won't reliably cycle the bolt. That said I have heard of people tuning their 10/22 to cycle subs.

I would kind of like to get a cool .22 bolt gun that I can run subs all day long through. I will cannibalize my current 10/22 so in the end I might end up with two .22 rifles.

I would LIKE to get the rifles as accurate as possible but as far as I can tell that is just hit and miss and basically (once you get the rifle put together) a matter of ammo selection.

I am also curious about shooting .22 shorts. 29 grain CCI shorts are 1080 fps but when you break it down by price a regular subsonic is about the same price so it's just a wash.

At the end of the day I can cover .22 with my Revolution 9. I have all the stuff to configure it for .22 and its very quiet. Once I get my act together and finish my KIDD build I can build that one for accuracy and the bolt gun just put a red dot on it and go for it.

I know I am making this way more complicated than it should be but it's not like I can just run out and buy a suppressor, at least not yet. And you know me, I over think all this stuff. At the same time I am not sure if a .22 can is in the cards for me or not. Let's be real, once my money is in order I will get one most likely but I rarely shoot .22 to be honest.

Former11B
27 October 2017, 02:26
My neighbor shoots subs all day long out of 5-6 totally customized 10/22s, suppressed and unsuppressed. I’ll pick his brain

alamo5000
27 October 2017, 08:56
My neighbor shoots subs all day long out of 5-6 totally customized 10/22s, suppressed and unsuppressed. I’ll pick his brain

Yes please do and report back. I am curious as to how one would tune a 10/22 for subsonic shooting.

More than that though my slapped together 10/22 seems to gum up and I get misfeeds etc. Again it could be because I don't have a good gun or whatever.

As for a bolt gun it's not like .22 bolt actions are super expensive. I still might get one of those too.

I am already committed to the top tier 10/22 but the bolt action is just a thought. I would like it for sure though. I hate having to constantly fiddle with my action when it jams up.

cjd3
27 October 2017, 12:54

I grabbed a brick of CCI supressor optimized rounds. I’ve saved them for my 10/22 as they cycle well.

SINNER
27 October 2017, 15:20
I agree with the comments saying it's much ado about nothing.

Former11B
27 October 2017, 15:42

True, if you don’t have a use for it

Like AAC’s 90T mount or OSS suppressors in general. For me, I could care less

An 8oz suppressor that can tolerate a 30rd 5.56 mag dump, offer 5.56 decibel levels as quiet as a lot of full size cans....it’s doing things I don’t think another suppressor claim at the moment. The size vs performance appeals to me

alamo5000
27 October 2017, 15:51

I wouldn't call one video and a product announcement 'much ado' [BD]

That said I am in the middle of my comparisons and it seems like the thought here is to support anything and everything .22 caliber.

In my mind I think .22 and my mind runs to .22 LR and kind of stays there. This can is more 'everything .22'.

The idea of being extremely rugged is appealing to me. I would much rather have an over built can than the other way around. Full auto mag dump on 5.56? That's pretty damn good.

I guess if I were to ever get into those other calibers it's fine. I guess it's better to get more than less. Just having the ability to say 'hey I have a can for that' regardless of what it is is kind of nice.

I still want to really compare various .22 options and still want to get more info on this one.

At the end of the day in the world of .22 this one seems to be a do it all. On the flip side there is only so much you can expect from a .22 can. I am going to look at it more and see how much this thing costs before I make up my mind.

Former11B
27 October 2017, 15:57
Alamo, my neighbor said his Kidd rifles run subs flawlessly, no mods. He shoots suppressed also

alamo5000
27 October 2017, 18:03
Alamo, my neighbor said his Kidd rifles run subs flawlessly, no mods. He shoots suppressed also

I have read online that Kidd springs are a slight bit lighter than standard. Could easily make a difference. I've been too occupied with other stuff to finish it up and have my rifle done.

That said with 10/22 I am curious what people's cleaning regiments are? Does anyone else get gummed up actions or barrels on a suppressed 10/22?

I am suspicious of some of the components that I used to put together my gun to be honest but I don't want to hijack the thread.

As far as the Griffin suppressor goes I have been comparing online and so far the only other competition in my opinion is the Rugged Oculus. Similar price point but I am not seeing anything else that compares relatively speaking.

Former11B
27 October 2017, 19:39
I have read online that Kidd springs are a slight bit lighter than standard. Could easily make a difference. I've been too occupied with other stuff to finish it up and have my rifle done.

That said with 10/22 I am curious what people's cleaning regiments are? Does anyone else get gummed up actions or barrels on a suppressed 10/22?

I am suspicious of some of the components that I used to put together my gun to be honest but I don't want to hijack the thread.

As far as the Griffin suppressor goes I have been comparing online and so far the only other competition in my opinion is the Rugged Oculus. Similar price point but I am not seeing anything else that compares relatively speaking.

AAC Halcyon is somewhat similar.

alamo5000
27 October 2017, 20:48
AAC Halcyon is somewhat similar.

Meh. I don't really like their baffle design.

At this point here are some factors that I am looking at. FRP is one. If it's a known issue then avoid it. The baffle design is another. Some of the baffles look like they have too many places where carbon will build up and they will be a PITA to clean. This is an issue with a few cans I saw. The El Camino comes to mind. Also the Occulus requires proprietary tools. Don't like that.

I like the idea of very rugged suppressors. Over built is good. Versatile is good too.

At the end of the day most of the cans will suppress sound about the same on .22LR. If it's one or two decibels off that's no big deal.

Since these cans generally all do the same thing I gotta look at what differentiates them from each other. Day to day cleaning is one. Having the ability for more than one caliber is another. You never know about future shooting trips or range days maybe even with other people's guns, or even possibly getting other guns in the future.

With the Griffin the 3 lug mount looks very interesting. Never used it before but I have always been attracted to that. I would like to at least try it and see how it effects accuracy, if at all. Plus I could use that same 3 lug adapter on my Revolution 9. I wouldn't have anything to put that on (yet) but again, you never know.

Everybody knows I am predispositioned to get the Griffin but I really am trying to do a fair comparison here.

I have no reason NOT to get the Griffin can. There isn't anything that disqualifies it by any means. Some of the other cans I can rule out pretty quickly. The ability to put that on 5.56 is appealing. At the same time I will have two Recce 5 and one Recce 7 so it's not really for me in that regard.

The only thing I can think of is there is a very small weight penalty.

BoilerUp
27 October 2017, 21:20
With the Griffin the 3 lug mount looks very interesting. Never used it before but I have always been attracted to that. I would like to at least try it and see how it effects accuracy, if at all. Plus I could use that same 3 lug adapter on my Revolution 9. I wouldn't have anything to put that on (yet) but again, you never know.

I do not believe the 3-lug adapter for the Checkmate is compatible with "standard" 3-lug adapters like the Revo uses.

alamo5000
27 October 2017, 21:40
I do not believe the 3-lug adapter for the Checkmate is compatible with "standard" 3-lug adapters like the Revo uses.

The three lug for this .22 can is the SAME as the 9mm version offered for the Revolution and Optimus series. The 3 lug adapter is also cross compatible between different cans. IE Revolution 9, Micro, Optimus, etc.

You use the 9mm three lug adapter (although they still might have support for previous .22 cans that have the other mini 3 lug) and the 9mm 3 lug barrel adapter for this one.

Yes, it is cross compatible.

Edit:

Fast forward to 1 min 30 in the intro youtube video linked above.

BoilerUp
27 October 2017, 21:45
The three lug for this .22 can is the SAME as the 9mm version offered for the Revolution and Optimus series. The 3 lug adapter is also cross compatible between different cans. IE Revolution 9, Micro, Optimus, etc.

You use the 9mm three lug adapter (although they still might have support for previous .22 cans that have the other mini 3 lug) and the 9mm 3 lug barrel adapter for this one.

Yes, it is cross compatible.

Got it. Just watched the video. Poor reading comprehension (again) on my part as my mind went to the Checkmate. I think I'm in the same boat as you. I'm interested in a rimfire can and have a bias in favor of Griffin but haven't been swayed by the Checkmate, but the Optimus might do it for me.

alamo5000
27 October 2017, 21:51
Got it. Just watched the video. Poor reading comprehension (again) on my part as my mind went to the Checkmate. I think I'm in the same boat as you. I'm interested in a rimfire can and have a bias in favor of Griffin but haven't been swayed by the Checkmate, but the Optimus might do it for me.

Where I am at is honestly, my Revolution 9 on a rifle is quiet as hell. It serves the purpose for sure. I have the direct thread adapter and a .22 end cap which makes it even more stupid quiet but even in the K configuration with the 9mm cap on the end it's just easily hearing safe. I mean not even scare the dogs safe [BD]

In all honesty this is kind of a 'want' can. I want a dedicated .22 can just because. In all reality I can easily cover that caliber with my existing 9mm can without ANY problem.

If I get a .22 can and a .45 can I will have my bases all covered for any firearm I have. That's my goal.

I have two cans in jail right now... another Recce 5 and a Recce 7. I am in some cases buying cans for guns I don't even have a host for yet. But I still want them. If it didn't take a damn year to get them it would be a bit different.

alamo5000
27 October 2017, 21:54

As for the 'Checkmate' series, those are all gone. No more.

The optimus micro replaces it.

Former11B
28 October 2017, 10:09
Where I am at is honestly, my Revolution 9 on a rifle is quiet as hell. It serves the purpose for sure. I have the direct thread adapter and a .22 end cap which makes it even more stupid quiet but even in the K configuration with the 9mm cap on the end it's just easily hearing safe. I mean not even scare the dogs safe [BD]

In all honesty this is kind of a 'want' can. I want a dedicated .22 can just because. In all reality I can easily cover that caliber with my existing 9mm can without ANY problem.

If I get a .22 can and a .45 can I will have my bases all covered for any firearm I have. That's my goal.

I have two cans in jail right now... another Recce 5 and a Recce 7. I am in some cases buying cans for guns I don't even have a host for yet. But I still want them. If it didn't take a damn year to get them it would be a bit different.

Your 9mm can doesn’t make a .22 Rifle hearing Safe?

I want another Recce 5 and a 7 :P. I’m jelly

alamo5000
28 October 2017, 17:07
Your 9mm can doesn’t make a .22 Rifle hearing Safe?

I want another Recce 5 and a 7 :P. I’m jelly

That Revolution 9 makes a rifle extremely quiet! The Optimus on a 10/22 meters about 116. I would venture to say the Revolution 9 will be about that same area.

I still kind of want a dedicated .22 can.

As for the Recce 5's I figured it was a strategic decision. I will probably be shooting 5.56/.223 for the foreseeable future and with more than one gun it's easier to not swap. Also in the event that something ever does happen where I need to send a can in for a fix I will still be covered.

I need to get a Revolution .45 and the .22 can and that will round me out as far as caliber specific cans go.

Former11B
29 October 2017, 03:44
That Revolution 9 makes a rifle extremely quiet! The Optimus on a 10/22 meters about 116. I would venture to say the Revolution 9 will be about that same area.

I still kind of want a dedicated .22 can.

As for the Recce 5's I figured it was a strategic decision. I will probably be shooting 5.56/.223 for the foreseeable future and with more than one gun it's easier to not swap. Also in the event that something ever does happen where I need to send a can in for a fix I will still be covered.

I need to get a Revolution .45 and the .22 can and that will round me out as far as caliber specific cans go.

I misread your post. I was shooting at the time...my bad!

mustangfreek
31 October 2017, 02:41
..I want a can....

Former11B
31 October 2017, 11:48
It’s official!! Ordered this AM; I have a single digit serial # Optimus Micro!

alamo5000
31 October 2017, 11:54
It’s official!! Ordered this AM; I have a single digit serial # Optimus Micro!

Congrats!!!! That's awesome.

I need money! I would order one too if I was able to do it right now.

alamo5000
1 November 2017, 10:54

On a side note, I just got off the phone with Kidd Custom and their spring packs come with 3 different springs. One of them is specifically designed for shooting suppressed ammo. Per the manufacturer it won't cycle CCI Quiet (40 grains 770fps) type. Everything else should be GTG.

I can see why that particular ammo isn't good. I tried it and had hell with it. They just used a standard everything except they backed off the charge so much that it just putters out. Other kind of subsonic ammo will generally work, especially the heavier bullets.

Former11B
1 November 2017, 13:02
On a side note, I just got off the phone with Kidd Custom and their spring packs come with 3 different springs. One of them is specifically designed for shooting suppressed ammo. Per the manufacturer it won't cycle CCI Quiet (40 grains 770fps) type. Everything else should be GTG.

I can see why that particular ammo isn't good. I tried it and had hell with it. They just used a standard everything except they backed off the charge so much that it just putters out. Other kind of subsonic ammo will generally work, especially the heavier bullets.

Quiets are awesome.....in a bolt gun