PDA

View Full Version : Handling A Glock

Alfredapowell
20 October 2017, 07:11
I was just watching a video by Jerry Miculek and he said that when he shoots a lightweight polymer pistol, like a Glock , he will put his forefinger in front of the trigger guard. The purpose is to give it more stability.

I have never changed my grip for a Glock but I can see where putting your forefinger in front of the trigger guard would control the muzzle a little better.

Do you do that as well?

https://youtu.be/ChSazF41q-s

UWone77
20 October 2017, 09:08
I've always been taught that it's always an option to place your forefinger there. That's why there are serrations there.

FortTom
20 October 2017, 10:01
Quite a few years ago, way before polymer guns, people and military were often taught to shoot that way. Many 1911 owners would actually have 1911's trigger guards "squared" and checkered or serrated. Other pistols and 1911 clones started coming that way in the late 70's, early 80's. I have seen BUNCHES of custom IPSC guns that were built on custom frames with squared trigger guards.

I started shooting by hooking finger over trigger guard, but was quickly taught to shoot with the "thumb-over-thumb" hold, and there was almost instant improvement, so for me, it made sense to continue holding that way, (with the thumb on thumb). But, just about every polymer pistol made comes with a "squared" guard, along with several metal frames, so I assume there are still people holding that way.

I saw JM shoot when both he and I were much younger, about '89 I think at a match in CA. If you ever get to see him shoot, even at his age, I'd say it would be hard to argue with him on the issue. Rob Leatham and Chip McCormick and others too.

FT[:D]

SINNER
20 October 2017, 11:04
I shoot that way. Likely explains my love of CZ handguns. I wish all my 1911's had a trigger guard like the CZ's.

Joelski
20 October 2017, 13:54
I shoot with my left finger on the trigger guard and my left thumb tucked under the right (Align the V's). My hand naturally takes that grip when I press forward.

FortTom
21 October 2017, 10:02
I've always been taught that it's always an option to place your forefinger there. That's why there are serrations there.
Depending on the shooter, and the size of the pistol, when shooting with the thumb over thumb, a lot of people's finger won't reach long enough to hook over the trigger guard, or only partially which can cause you to pull your shots. I'd have to watch it again, but the posted video of JM addresses that, I think.

BTW, that was one of the best video's on the subject I've ever seen, especially his advice on squaring off on the target, relaxed, no weaver stance, or the "fashionable" tactical turtle stance. That cracks me up when I see people doing a very exaggerated version of the "turtle". It's 25 minutes well spent to watch it, no matter what your skill level is.

FT[:D]