PDA

View Full Version : Pretty sure I'm building an AR-10. Looking for some advice.

titanse05
21 November 2017, 20:02
Hello all,

For some odd reason I find myself wanting to put together my first AR-10. So I'm looking for some advice and or comments on my potential build.

What I'm thinking thus far:

- American Defense UIC-10A builders set including a 15" M-LOK Handguard (DPMS SR-25 PLATFORM)
- 16" barrel
- UBR Gen 2 stock
- Toolcraft Nitride BCG
- Raptor CH
- Talon safety
- Dead Air Armament key-mo brake
- suppressed with my Silencerco Omega

I think that covers the main items. So my question to you is.... What barrel should I use in my build? Should I be using a SLR adjustable gas block? What length gas system?

Initially I was leaning towards a Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel that includes the pinned gas block.

Thoughts?

fledge
21 November 2017, 20:08
I wouldn’t use an adj gas block until you find its over-gassed. If it’s not, you’re wasting money.

I don’t see a downside to getting the BA Hanson.

The dead air brake is loud like all brakes, which means unpleasant to shoot unsuppressed. Why not thread directly with the Omega and save some more coin?

RobertTheTexan
21 November 2017, 20:12
Why do you think you should or shouldn’t use an adjustable gas block?
I’d say add an EMR-C from Forward Controls. It’s the mag catch button, but it’s taller than mil spec.
I really like BA barrels. I have their 18” Premium on my 308.
So what’s your plan for the 308?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titanse05
22 November 2017, 03:42
I wouldn’t use an adj gas block until you find its over-gassed. If it’s not, you’re wasting money.

I don’t see a downside to getting the BA Hanson.

The dead air brake is loud like all brakes, which means unpleasant to shoot unsuppressed. Why not thread directly with the Omega and save some more coin?The Omega I have is currently direct threaded to a 300 blk SBR and I want to be able to easily swap the can to whatever I'm shooting that day. The key-mo system appears to be a better mounting system to me and after selling off the ASR stuff it shouldn't be much of an upgrade cost.

Why do you think you should or shouldn’t use an adjustable gas block?
I’d say add an EMR-C from Forward Controls. It’s the mag catch button, but it’s taller than mil spec.
I really like BA barrels. I have their 18” Premium on my 308.
So what’s your plan for the 308? I don't really have a plan per-se. I just don't have one and should right? Mostly this rifle will be on a 100-200 yard range but hope to find places to stretch that out a bit.

titanse05
22 November 2017, 05:34
http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-308-hanson-mid-ss-premium-barrel.html

What say the hive about this barrel? This would be my third Hanson barrel.....just can't beat the quality and price after discounts and it includes the pinned gas block.

RobertTheTexan
22 November 2017, 05:46
I don't really have a plan per-se. I just don't have one and should right? Mostly this rifle will be on a 100-200 yard range but hope to find places to stretch that out a bit.

My question was just another way of asking “Why a 16 inch barrel?” For me I wanted to find a balance between good ballistics and good physical handling of the weapon so I chose 18” I also went rifle length because there was more data pointing to that config being more reliable.

Although the first time I shot it I thought, man I gotta build me an SBR in 7.62x51!

RobertTheTexan
22 November 2017, 06:00
Of those 16” barrels on their website, I’d go with that one. I have several of their barrels and not once have I been disappointed in accuracy and quality of finish.

BoilerUp
22 November 2017, 07:05
Given that you want to shoot suppressed, plus the fact that 308 ARs tend to be a bit more finicky to get running well, I highly recommend just starting off with an SLR Sentry adjustable gas block. It will almost certainly save you some time and frustration. (and SLR is having a black Friday sale right now)

I'd also suggest an 18" barrel with rifle length gas. I think 18-20" barrels are the sweet spot for .308. For barrels, BA would be a good choice, especially given all the sales right now, but I also suggest you take a look at AR15 performance. Many happy customers reporting excellent accuracy. I see a lot of happy customers of BA, too, but I don't see a whole lot of bragging online about the accuracy.

What receiver / builder's set are you eyeing? The Aero Precision sets are cheap at Schulyer Arms right now, but their fat "enhanced" handguards aren't for everyone. And the thing is going to be heavy enough without the UBR, so I suggest you ponder how much weight you are willing to accept. Once you throw an optic on that you're almost certainly going to be over 9 pounds w/o ammo. I personally don't have much use for a 9+ pound "carbine".

titanse05
22 November 2017, 10:11
Given that you want to shoot suppressed, plus the fact that 308 ARs tend to be a bit more finicky to get running well, I highly recommend just starting off with an SLR Sentry adjustable gas block. It will almost certainly save you some time and frustration. (and SLR is having a black Friday sale right now)

I'd also suggest an 18" barrel with rifle length gas. I think 18-20" barrels are the sweet spot for .308. For barrels, BA would be a good choice, especially given all the sales right now, but I also suggest you take a look at AR15 performance. Many happy customers reporting excellent accuracy. I see a lot of happy customers of BA, too, but I don't see a whole lot of bragging online about the accuracy.

What receiver / builder's set are you eyeing? The Aero Precision sets are cheap at Schulyer Arms right now, but their fat "enhanced" handguards aren't for everyone. And the thing is going to be heavy enough without the UBR, so I suggest you ponder how much weight you are willing to accept. Once you throw an optic on that you're almost certainly going to be over 9 pounds w/o ammo. I personally don't have much use for a 9+ pound "carbine".If I were to do the adjustable block the SLR is the only option IMHO. Going back and forth between on this part of the build.

I'm going with an American Defense UIC-10A Combo with a 15" handguard. I prefer a full length rail on my ARs and the 15" handguard puts me at a 16" barrel. At the distances I'll be shooting at typically I don't think I'll see a difference between the 16 and 18. Plus I like the continuous look with the handguard and suppressor.

BoilerUp
22 November 2017, 10:49
Check out the SLR handguards, too. You can get some long ones if you want a longer barrel http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_107_151_156_158&product_id=893

SLR's mounting system is fantastic, IMO

Joelski
22 November 2017, 10:51
Don't think Radian is doing BCG'S in 7.62 yet...

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

titanse05
22 November 2017, 11:14
Don't think Radian is doing BCG'S in 7.62 yet...

Sent from my SM-G860P using TapatalkFixed the OP. Meant Raptor CH. [BD]

alamo5000
22 November 2017, 11:26
I think 18-20" barrels are the sweet spot for .308.

Per a previous conversation with the Griffin guys here on the forum (at least for their cans) they said 18" is basically 'optimal' for efficiency of suppressors.

That's a +1 for the 18" from me in that regard.

Ballistically speaking though you can get a whole lot out of a .308 with various barrel lengths.

Up to 800 yards it won't matter what barrel length is used. If the general use is inside 800 yards the environmental factors (temperature, humidity, altitude, etc) will make a lot more difference than barrel length ever will. In other words you can knock em out all day long with 16" barrel at 800 yards all day long pretty much in any conditions.

Once you go past that mark though that extra 2 inches of barrel can make a difference.

alamo5000
22 November 2017, 11:28
SLR's mounting system is fantastic, IMO

+2 on that.

SLR is awesome. I love their no muss no fuss barrel nuts. No special tools, no timing, none of that, and they make superior products.

Given that I don't have the dough to try out more brands which I am sure to like too, but SLR is proven in my book.

titanse05
22 November 2017, 11:36
I agree that 18" would be the best for those distances but I will never have the opportunity to shoot at those distances. For me 16" will be more than enough barrel.

The ADM handguard mounts in a similar fashion as the SLRs and numerous others. The combo all matches and I won't be breaking it up.

fledge
22 November 2017, 16:10
FYI: The reason I say “no” to the gas block yet is that I have a BA 14” 308 barrel and the Gas block is wide open and still not cycling unsuppressed. It cycles beautifully suppressed. Gotta play with the buffer and spring more. So that adj block is useless at this point. However, since I pinned my muzzle device, i didn’t want the opposite problem to show up.

titanse05
22 November 2017, 16:37
FYI: The reason I say “no” to the gas block yet is that I have a BA 14” 308 barrel and the Gas block is wide open and still not cycling unsuppressed. It cycles beautifully suppressed. Gotta play with the buffer and spring more. So that adj block is useless at this point. However, since I pinned my muzzle device, i didn’t want the opposite problem to show up.Yeah for what the gas block costs with a BA barrel I'll just start with that and see what I got once I get it assembled.

RobertTheTexan
22 November 2017, 16:44

What receiver / builder's set are you eyeing? The Aero Precision sets are cheap at Schulyer Arms right now, but their fat "enhanced" handguards aren't for everyone. And the thing is going to be heavy enough without the UBR, so I suggest you ponder how much weight you are willing to accept. Once you throw an optic on that you're almost certainly going to be over 9 pounds w/o ammo. I personally don't have much use for a 9+ pound "carbine".

I don’t know about bragging but my BA barrels are all sub MOA, my .308 (18” Performance rifle gas) is very accurate. Consistent .40’s at 100, .71-.77 at 250. I can see your point, sorta but I wouldn’t only gauge a parts performance based on who’s bragging the loudest. There may be some connection to the type of user... I don’t know. I don’t brag because maybe to someone else those numbers are just average.
I wholeheartedly agree on the 18-20. That’s not just a sweet spot for accuracy but for function.

UWone77
22 November 2017, 17:08
I agree sometimes 308's can be finicky and need a little tuning, but I'd still stick with a standard pinned gas block. If you find that you later need an adjustable, you can always swap it out.

Looks like a good first 308 list of parts.

RobertTheTexan
22 November 2017, 17:29
If I were to do the adjustable block the SLR is the only option IMHO. Going back and forth between on this part of the build.

I'm going with an American Defense UIC-10A Combo with a 15" handguard. I prefer a full length rail on my ARs and the 15" handguard puts me at a 16" barrel. At the distances I'll be shooting at typically I don't think I'll see a difference between the 16 and 18. Plus I like the continuous look with the handguard and suppressor.

Not to speak for Boiler but his comment and my earlier comment about barrel recommendations (length and gas system) wasn’t only about what will give you better accuracy at range, but even more so about what works. I did my due diligence before my build and my takeaway was that the 18” barrel with rifle gas was one of the keys to consistent reliability. “Out of box functionality” so to speak. - it really just works. You don’t have to manipulate with a gas block to get a rifle to work like it should with a standard. GB. Your research may have come up with a different conclusion, but mine made it clear that <18” with mid gas was more of a PITA than it was a reliable solution. I’ve not had a single FTF/FTE out of my DMR. I believe with 110% certainly that is because I used what many others before me had fleshed out. Either way I hope whatever you decide on works.

I have an SLR hand guard on mine, initially I had a 16” Hand guard, but I had to send that back because it looked like my rail was half a mile long. I got tired just looking at he end of it. But with the 15” in my opinion anyway, looks good. But the fact I haven’t had a single failure to fire in spite of slamming ALL kinds of ammo down range - trumps everything.

RobertTheTexan
22 November 2017, 20:24
I agree sometimes 308's can be finicky and need a little tuning, but I'd still stick with a standard pinned gas block. If you find that you later need an adjustable, you can always swap it out.

Looks like a good first 308 list of parts.
Sometimes it seems that guys want to use an adj. GB to address deeper issues with their rifle. Sort of a “hey, an adjustable gas block will fix that problem ya know...”
I just don’t know if the part was designed to fix all the things they end up being used to fix. Maybe they were. I’ve got two but I’ve kind of come full circle back to using regular gas blocks and trying to diagnose and correct any cycling issues with internal changes.

UWone77
22 November 2017, 21:15
I think I own like 2 adjustables. I just don't think they're needed as much as people think they need them.

mustangfreek
23 November 2017, 11:53
16” 308 is on my short list..

Like you want a decent shooter but not being over heavy..I’m after a shooter/hunting rig kinda deal.

Shooting factory or hand loads..GB wise an adj might be wanted for tuning in different loads with a suppressor..I don’t own anything similar, just spitballing though..

titanse05
25 November 2017, 17:00
Well I picked up a good bit of the parts for this build this week taking advantage of BlackFriday week deals.

- ADM 308 builders set with 15" handguard (20% off from ADM)
- Magpul UBR Gen2, MOE+ GRIP, QD socket (33% off at Rainier Arms)
- Magpul PMAGS AR10 (25% off from Rainier Arms)
- Dead Air Armament Key-mo Omega mount, (2) 7.62 Brakes (35% off at Modern Threat Response)
- Radian Raptor AR10 (20% off at OpticsPlanet)

BoilerUp
25 November 2017, 17:32
Well I picked up a good bit of the parts for this build this week taking advantage of BlackFriday week deals.

- ADM 308 builders set with 15" handguard (20% off from ADM)
- Magpul UBR Gen2, MOE+ GRIP, QD socket (33% off at Rainier Arms)
- Magpul PMAGS AR10 (25% off from Rainier Arms)
- Dead Air Armament Key-mo Omega mount, (2) 7.62 Brakes (35% off at Modern Threat Response)
- Radian Raptor AR10 (20% off at OpticsPlanet)

Gotta like 20% off a receiver set. Can you lock the bolt back from the right side with the ADM set? Radian and Aero Precision/PDQ are the only ones I know of so far that allow for that.

titanse05
25 November 2017, 19:54
Gotta like 20% off a receiver set. Can you lock the bolt back from the right side with the ADM set? Radian and Aero Precision/PDQ are the only ones I know of so far that allow for that.Indeed the ADM does have the ability to lock the bolt back using the right side bolt release. I actually prefer the ADM UIC's functionality over my AXTS AX556. To lock back the bolt you push the lever up and to release you push it down. I find that pushing in the right side bolt release on the AX556 and similar to be difficult to depress with the trigger finger.

titanse05
25 November 2017, 20:50
First parts package arrived today.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4527/23987061497_5e00050f9d_c.jpg

titanse05
26 November 2017, 06:05
Just bought the barrel/block and gas tube for this build. Couldn't pass up the deal at Ballistic Advantage. Got the barrel/block, tube, VG6 Gamma Brake all for 25% off and got one of their upper recievers for free. I'll sell the brake and upper reciever to bring the cost down even further.

titanse05
29 November 2017, 12:29
What buffer does everyone recommend I start off with? It should be noted I'm running a UBR 2 on this build. I'm thinking of picking up an H3 as it seems that it will work compared to other builds. I have H1 and H2 buffers in other builds to swap to if experimentation is needed.

The only parts I didn't buy last week since I didn't find a deep enough discount was the BCG, Trigger and the buffer.

BoilerUp
29 November 2017, 15:04
Start with carbine or H1. If you need an H3 then get an AGB and stick with carbine.

mustangfreek
3 December 2017, 02:43
Where’s the pics of the adm set,...:P

titanse05
3 December 2017, 05:13
Where’s the pics of the adm set,...:PI wish I had it to take pictures of. It'll be a couple weeks till it ships as it is being cerakoted.

titanse05
5 December 2017, 07:11
Got a bunch of the parts ready for this build.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4538/38136124694_91611bc42a_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4535/37964979575_d74108989c_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4520/27075706019_0731fd4a27_c.jpg

titanse05
6 December 2017, 08:15
Necessary install tool arrived yesterday.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4540/38159567094_6de7cf4e9b_c.jpg

Slippers
7 December 2017, 06:08
Necessary install tool arrived yesterday.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4540/38159567094_6de7cf4e9b_c.jpg

Great tool. I combined mine with a short piece of 1/2"x1/2" square steel bar, which I clamp in my vice and then slide the brownells tool over. Functions just like a reaction rod for 1/4 the price.

If you want to do the same, this is the piece of steel I use: https://www.mcmaster.com/#6545k1/=1akwk3d. I chopped it in half, and gave one to a friend who uses it the same way.

titanse05
7 December 2017, 08:17
Great tool. I combined mine with a short piece of 1/2"x1/2" square steel bar, which I clamp in my vice and then slide the brownells tool over. Functions just like a reaction rod for 1/4 the price.

If you want to do the same, this is the piece of steel I use: https://www.mcmaster.com/#6545k1/=1akwk3d. I chopped it in half, and gave one to a friend who uses it the same way.Yeah this is exactly how I use my AR-15 torque tool. I got the piece of steel for free back then and can just use it with the AR-10 one. I would have loved to purchase the Geissele versions but they are stupid expensive for what they are.

titanse05
7 December 2017, 16:57
Toolcraft Nitride 308 BCG is hard to beat for $120 shipped.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4531/38903203571_8848457451_c.jpg

titanse05
8 December 2017, 12:32
Used SD-C for my 308 build.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4520/38204380374_39693f5bea_c.jpg

titanse05
9 December 2017, 11:02
Nothing exciting today....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4686/38986035861_7c86a63700_c.jpg

RobertTheTexan
10 December 2017, 00:26
What buffer does everyone recommend I start off with? It should be noted I'm running a UBR 2 on this build. I'm thinking of picking up an H3 as it seems that it will work compared to other builds. I have H1 and H2 buffers in other builds to swap to if experimentation is needed.

The only parts I didn't buy last week since I didn't find a deep enough discount was the BCG, Trigger and the buffer.

I have the same stock. I used the spacer that came with it, a KAK Heavy 308 Carbine buffer and a Sprinco Red Spring. Runs like a champ suppressed and unsuppressed.

I may move to a regular A5 buffer some day, but also “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” and it definitely is not broke.

So what BA barrel did you get? I picked up another barrel myself, not a 308 though.

RobertTheTexan
10 December 2017, 00:29
Nothing exciting today....

Did you also get the upper receiver blocks with the anti-torque plates? (Also PlastixRevolutions). I swear by mine. They have been absolutely worth every cent 5 times over.
Now that I’m thinking about it, you got some kind of reaction rod right?

titanse05
10 December 2017, 04:59
So what BA barrel did you get? I picked up another barrel myself, not a 308 though.Their Hanson 16" midlength:
http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-308-hanson-mid-ss-premium-barrel.html

Now that I’m thinking about it, you got some kind of reaction rod right?Yeah the Brownells version.

Joelski
10 December 2017, 07:44
The benefit of the reaction rod is that it's far more bludgeon-y than a pipe-based variation.

[:D]

titanse05
10 December 2017, 12:17
The Brownells version is solid steel as well.... this 308 one is pretty bludgeon capable. Lol

RobertTheTexan
10 December 2017, 15:06
A man can never have enough AR tools/ bludgeons. I clearly do not have enough. Although my latest torque wrench is bludgeon worthy although I’d resist bludgeoning with it for fear of knocking it out of calibration.

titanse05
12 December 2017, 19:28
Ammo crate full of 308!!!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4731/27243725559_a4b613f65d_c.jpg

RobertTheTexan
12 December 2017, 20:06
Ammo crate full of 308!!!

Looks like some high quality parts you have there. I think it’s going to be an excellent build.

titanse05
13 December 2017, 06:15
Looks like some high quality parts you have there. I think it’s going to be an excellent build.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah I don't buy junk....never really did. I'm excited about the build and can't wait to assemble it. I hope to have the ADM builders set in before the end of the year but I may not get it till early next year due to the Cerakote.

titanse05
3 January 2018, 04:27
Well I got the call from my FFL yesterday evening. Today after work I get to pickup my ADM builders set. [:D]

titanse05
4 January 2018, 04:35
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4739/25614365858_ea337b70d4_k.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture. Best I could do quickly since I can't do anything outside.

Uffdaphil
4 January 2018, 06:13
Okay, that makes me sit up and bark.

titanse05
27 January 2018, 10:30
Well I have it all assembled and went to attempt to test fire it today. The rifle will not fully chamber the round when using the bolt release.

Currently running a UBR 2 without the spacer with a carbine length spring and an H2 buffer. I'm not sure but I may need to swap to a rifle length spring. It just doesn't seem to have enough power to fully seat the round.

I am able to throw one in the chamber and the bolt closes fully and ejects fine with a pull of the charging handle.

fledge
27 January 2018, 10:31
You need a rifle length spring.

titanse05
27 January 2018, 10:36
You need a rifle length spring.That is instantly what I thought.

fledge
27 January 2018, 11:15
But to know which rifle length spring I defer to those with more knowledge. I only have A5 rifle length springs and they don’t help my 308 cycle either. Too soft in that application. I’m still hunting for solutions.

titanse05
27 January 2018, 19:05
In looking at the manual for the UBR 2 it states that you are supposed to use carbine length buffers and carbine springs or A5 buffer/spring. I don't believe a rifle spring will work in my application.

titanse05
27 January 2018, 19:24
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/257505/jp-enterprises-tuned-and-polished-buffer-spring-ar-10-lr-308

Going to order one of these to try.

fledge
27 January 2018, 21:14
In looking at the manual for the UBR 2 it states that you are supposed to use carbine length buffers and carbine springs or A5 buffer/spring. I don't believe a rifle spring will work in my application.

Does it specify a difference between platforms? What you describe is exactly correct for the AR15. You aren’t supposed to use a A5 buffer at all with an AR10. The CAR-10 buffer for the AR10 uses a carbine spring because the buffer is shorter than a carbine buffer and allows space for the carrier to cycle. A standard carbine is too long for the carrier to cycle with a carbine length tube. You need the longer tube and rifle spring with the carbine buffer (remove the UBR spacer).

BoilerUp
27 January 2018, 21:35
How long is the receiver extension / buffer tube on the UBR?

308 buffers/springs are a little confusing because the Armalite/AR10 is different that the DPMS/LR308 setup. If the UBR tube is more like an A5 extension in length, then you'll probably want to treat it like the Armalite which uses the same spring for carbine and rifle. While the AR10 buffer spring is longer it actually compresses shorter than an AR15 carbine length spring. This is probably what you want: https://www.rainierarms.com/armalite-ar10-buffer-spring/

If the UBR tube is the same length as a standard AR15 carbine tube, then you should be fine with the DPMS carbine length spring but you should also need the DPMS 308 carbine buffer (which is shorter). Since you are using a carbine length buffer with no issues I'm guessing the UBR tube is longer.

fledge
27 January 2018, 22:21
The UBR Gen 2 tube is A5 length. It comes with a spacer insert to shorten it to carbine length.

titanse05
28 January 2018, 14:29
I initially had the spacer installed with a carbine length spring and carbine length buffer. This would not allow the bolt to go back far enough to pick up the round to chamber. Once I removed the spacer it worked correctly. Only problem I have now is the spring doesn't have enough power to fully chamber the round. I fear that if I put a rifle length spring in it that this will not allow the bolt to go back far enough to pick up the round. The UBR 2 manual states that you aren't to run a rifle length spring in it.

fledge
28 January 2018, 18:19
An A5 uses a rifle length spring. I don’t know what context the manual refers to by that statement.

A rifle length spring with a carbine buffer will give the adequate space with the AR10 carrier.

titanse05
28 January 2018, 19:00
Excerpt from Magpul regarding UBR 2.0:

"A carbine buffer and spring (M4 or SR-25 length) or A5 buffer and spring are required for use with the UBR and are not included.“

BoilerUp
28 January 2018, 19:44
I initially had the spacer installed with a carbine length spring and carbine length buffer. This would not allow the bolt to go back far enough to pick up the round to chamber. Once I removed the spacer it worked correctly. Only problem I have now is the spring doesn't have enough power to fully chamber the round. I fear that if I put a rifle length spring in it that this will not allow the bolt to go back far enough to pick up the round. The UBR 2 manual states that you aren't to run a rifle length spring in it.

You are right, the AR15 rifle length spring may be too long, but a 308 rifle length spring should be fine.

Maybe my post wasn't clear (I said it was confusing!), but you have two options:

1) Put the spacer back in, use an AR15 carbine springs, and get the short DPMS/SR25 308 carbine buffer: https://aeroprecisionusa.com/308-carbine-buffer.html

or

2) Leave the spacer out, use your AR15 carbine buffer, and get an Armalite AR10 pattern buffer spring (which is the same for AR10 rifles and carbines but is different from both AR15 rifle and carbine springs and not the same as the DPMS/SR25 carbine spring): https://www.rainierarms.com/armalite-ar10-buffer-spring/

I recommend the latter.

fledge
28 January 2018, 20:04

titanse05
29 January 2018, 04:40
You are right, the AR15 rifle length spring may be too long, but a 308 rifle length spring should be fine.

Maybe my post wasn't clear (I said it was confusing!), but you have two options:

1) Put the spacer back in, use an AR15 carbine springs, and get the short DPMS/SR25 308 carbine buffer: https://aeroprecisionusa.com/308-carbine-buffer.html

or

2) Leave the spacer out, use your AR15 carbine buffer, and get an Armalite AR10 pattern buffer spring (which is the same for AR10 rifles and carbines but is different from both AR15 rifle and carbine springs and not the same as the DPMS/SR25 carbine spring): https://www.rainierarms.com/armalite-ar10-buffer-spring/

I recommend the latter.Confusing indeed.....lol

titanse05
29 January 2018, 18:17
Picked up the Armalite spring from DSG Arms for $11.50 shipped. We'll see if that fixes me up.

titanse05
1 February 2018, 07:41
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4768/28244061639_8d0dbf0356_h.jpg

titanse05
2 February 2018, 12:24
Rifle length spring arrived today and now it operates correctly. Now I just need an opportunity to shoot it.

BoilerUp
2 February 2018, 17:09
Rifle length spring arrived today and now it operates correctly. Now I just need an opportunity to shoot it.

This one? https://dsgarms.com/armea1095

titanse05
2 February 2018, 17:13
This one? https://dsgarms.com/armea1095
Correct

UWone77
2 February 2018, 17:28
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4768/28244061639_8d0dbf0356_h.jpg

Well done.

Decide on glass? or was that earlier in the thread and I missed it?

titanse05
2 February 2018, 21:46
Well done.

Decide on glass? or was that earlier in the thread and I missed it?Undecided on glass and looking for suggestions. I run red dots and my recently acquired ACOG on other rifles. Don't own any high quality higher magnificaton optics.

300 yards will be the typical distance that this setup gets used at.

mustangfreek
3 February 2018, 01:46
That thing turned out great..Nice looking rifle!

Joelski
3 February 2018, 05:44
Very nicely done, titan.

titanse05
4 February 2018, 19:47
Successfully test fired today. Only 20rds but no malfunctions.

Any suggestions for optics?

RobertTheTexan
4 February 2018, 20:00

Congrats on a successful build! Were you surprised at how smooth it shot? I was with mine.

It’s a very classy looking build - with your receiver set you chose and all. I also like your hand guard.
I’ve decided I’m going to do another 308 build, with a shorter barrel and a Centurion 308 rail. That’s about as far as I’ve gotten, although in looking at that lower and upper.... I may have that question answered.

Looking forward to seeing your groupings.

Job well done!

BoilerUp
4 February 2018, 21:39

glad it worked out.

What's your budget for glass? I know you said 300 yards and in, but are you shooting for groups just ringing steel? You'll have 12-15" of drop at 300 yards, so do you prefer to dial or hold over?

titanse05
5 February 2018, 04:41
glad it worked out.

What's your budget for glass? I know you said 300 yards and in, but are you shooting for groups just ringing steel? You'll have 12-15" of drop at 300 yards, so do you prefer to dial or hold over?I am a total newb as far as shooting at further distances goes so no matter what I choose it will be a learning experience.

I already have a 30mm Bobro extended mount that I would like to use on this so that narrows it down a little. I'd say my budget is $1000 ish which I would think should be more than enough to serve my purpose.

But really, I'm open to anything at this point.

Would a 1-8x be enough glass or should I go with more?

Uffdaphil
5 February 2018, 06:20
I am also trying to decide on a scope for my .308. W/16” barrel. Probably 95% of the time the same max distance as you. Good groups at 200 is my sweet spot. So here a a couple I think worth a look.

My limited experience so far in higher magnified optics at just 100 yds has led me to prefer Trijicons. I have a Vortex 2-10x32 which is nice but not as clear glass as the Triji. I had a 2-12 VX6 Leupold, which had great clarity, but I hated their push button control. My budget is about the same as yours.

My ,308 is already heavier than an AR15 so weight is somewhat important to me. I have a 3-9 Trijicon Accupoint - light with great glass, but has a 1” tube. They are the least expensive I am looking at. Green or red illuminated reticles are my preference. Amber was harder for me to pick up. With a Bobro mount is sub $800. Considering another of this one: https://shop.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-accupoint-3-9x40-rifle-scope-tr20.html?_iv_code=TJ-RS-TR20-TR20-2GA&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqrKTxPSO2QIVw7rACh3MXgcCEAQYAiAB EgKqtfD_BwE

The 2.5-12.5 Accupoint is the other leading contender so far. Same great glass and no battery, but heavier and more $$. https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-accupoint-2-5-12-5x42mm-apt-riflescope.html?_iv_code=TJ-RS-TR26RS-200104

I’ve ruled out the Accupower line. My 1-4 is okay but for reasons I can’t quantify the 1-4 Accupoint just feels better to sight through.

Lots of other great options out there. These are just my preferences.

Slippers
5 February 2018, 07:18
For 300 yards a 1-6 is more than enough to ring steel.

My all-time favorite scopes on 308 gas guns for 300-600 yards are the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 models (24, 32, or 42mm objective lens). They're light, relatively small, and are very durable. You can find used ones for around $1000 or less if you're not in a hurry. I would personally want even more magnification for shooting groups, though.

Also, keep in mind I'm an optic snob. [BD]

Uffdaphil
5 February 2018, 10:10
That used $1K NF NXS 2.5-10 has long been my dream buy. Could have bought a new one with the money I wasted on similar sized inferiors.

BoilerUp
6 February 2018, 22:12
I'd probably want at least 6x for 300 yards and that will let you shoot reasonably well for groups at 100. The Vortex Razor 1-6x24 seems to be a good choice in that category and you don't seem too concerned about weight. Really no need for more than 10x at that range, so a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 might be a good choice, too.

UWone77
7 February 2018, 18:15
I'd probably want at least 6x for 300 yards and that will let you shoot reasonably well for groups at 100. The Vortex Razor 1-6x24 seems to be a good choice in that category and you don't seem too concerned about weight. Really no need for more than 10x at that range, so a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 might be a good choice, too.

Could also consider the Razor Gen II-E 1-6 which is a quarter pound lighter... still on the heavy side. Or like what's been mentioned a used NF 2.5-10x32. Bought both of mine used for sub 1k each.