PDA

View Full Version : School me on Wheel Guns

UWone77
25 November 2017, 15:34
I must be getting old, because I used to think Revolvers were for old people.... well here I am.

My buddy used to have a Colt Python from the late 70's that I loved, but I think prices on the snake guns have gone full retard.

I'm considering a Smith and Wesson 686 4" or a 629 5" Or Both. I just want to shoot .357, not really interested in 44. Any other models I should consider? Ruger GP100?

On a side note anyone shoot 22lr Revolvers? Just as fun as their semiauto counterparts?

Joelski
25 November 2017, 17:33
Nicholas Irving and I share the distinction of shooting this twice and saying "No mas!". Good to know I can hang with the Reaper in some respects.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af93/Joelski144/ARs%20and%20Pistols/Friends%20guns/20170910_184010_zpszsimecga.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Joelski144/media/ARs%20and%20Pistols/Friends%20guns/20170910_184010_zpszsimecga.jpg.html)

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

KW900A
25 November 2017, 18:05
^^^ always wanted to shoot one of those hand cannons

I have 2 smith revolvers, a model 10 and a model 30 (I think I’m telling you right) They were both my grandads, .38spl and a .32. He always gave me a hard time because he did not trust semi autos. Never gave a reason, just said he didn’t trust them. Even when he was pushing 90 years old he was still pretty dangerous with any pistol I ever saw him hold.

I like the old smiths, these guns are decades old and run like a sewing machine. If I found one of them in a .357 I would likely jump on it.

I also have a Moore .32 “teat fire” that was my great grandads and my grandads Mexican made .32 long, I can’t for the life of me remember the make of it.

Joelski
26 November 2017, 08:54
^^^ always wanted to shoot one of those hand cannons.

Trust me, you only want to shoot one somebody else owns. Unless you camp in bear country, or need bragging rights that badly, it's just a painful shooter! [:D]

ChattanoogaPhil
26 November 2017, 12:31
I do a little recreational .357 shooting with a 7-shot adjustable sight and ported 4in Taurus Tracker. With my reloads it shoots remarkably well. Now and then I send a few down range with my S&W 3in Model 65. Eh... makes a lot of noise like a .357 should. If revolvers weren't such a PIA to clean my Tracker would see a lot more range time.
The 686 you're considering is an excellent choice.

Love my .38 snubbies but that doesn't sound like what you're interested in.

.22LR? Can't do better than a S&W 617 but revolvers don't suppress. Once I started shooting suppressed rimfire I can't go back. Autoloaders only.

Obligatory pics..

https://i.imgur.com/9Fu7IRA.png

https://i.imgur.com/VgqvMJ2.png

gatordev
26 November 2017, 13:09
I never got into revolvers, but a couple of the old-timers I shot with when I shot ICORE (with my semi-auto) were high on the 686. I've fired one and it was a very nice shooter, although who knows how much work had been put into it.

KW900A
26 November 2017, 15:57
Trust me, you only want to shoot one somebody else owns. Unless you camp in bear country, or need bragging rights that badly, it's just a painful shooter! [:D]

I believe you haha. No one I know (that I’m aware of) owns one. When I think of shooting one of them I can’t help but think of jack Nicholson in the first Batman movie when he pulled the revolver out of his pants with the 3 foot barrel and shot down the batplane [:D]

MoxyDave
27 November 2017, 00:00
I owned a stainless 686 that at one time belonged to the Colorado State Patrol. Guessing it was massaged by their smith, 'cause it had an amazing action. Sorry I sold it, that is one that got away. Pick one up, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

I shoot an LCR in .22LR fairly often. It was hard to find and super expensive. It's very unforgiving, so it really makes you work on the fundamentals. If you can hit with that thing, you're good to go with just about any handgun IMO.

The big-bore revolvers look super cool but they can be painful to shoot, so they stay in the safe. I had a 454 Casul for a while and after a few rounds I was done. No point really, other than just fondling it.

My $.02, for what it's worth.

SINNER
27 November 2017, 08:05
I have a few Snakes and constantly consider unloading them but the prices keep ascending. I don't feel they are worth the current market prices.

Love my Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 for hunting and keep a S&W 640 in .357 in my bedroom. Always loved shooting my revolvers. Never shot .22's much but my father has a few he loves.

SINNER
27 November 2017, 08:09
I owned a stainless 686 that at one time belonged to the Colorado State Patrol. Guessing it was massaged by their smith, 'cause it had an amazing action. Sorry I sold it, that is one that got away. Pick one up, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

I shoot an LCR in .22LR fairly often. It was hard to find and super expensive. It's very unforgiving, so it really makes you work on the fundamentals. If you can hit with that thing, you're good to go with just about any handgun IMO.

The big-bore revolvers look super cool but they can be painful to shoot, so they stay in the safe. I had a 454 Casul for a while and after a few rounds I was done. No point really, other than just fondling it.

Agree 100% on the big bore stupidity. Shot 3 rounds out of my .460. The side blast toppled a spotting scope on the bench and I permanently damaged my hearing forgetting to slip my ear pro over my ear. Sold that piece of insanity back to my LGS the next day. No idea how you could ever hunt with one of those. Sit all day with ear muffs on I guess. Lol

schambers
27 November 2017, 11:24
Nighthawk/Korth if you can part with the cash.

I have been eyeballing a Performance Center 989 in 9mm for a while now, just as something fun to mess around with.

Thunder ranch used to make an R8 chambered in .45 ACP which seemed interesting as well.

Anything ported is fun too.

I must be getting old, because I used to think Revolvers were for old people.... well here I am.

My buddy used to have a Colt Python from the late 70's that I loved, but I think prices on the snake guns have gone full retard.

I'm considering a Smith and Wesson 686 4" or a 629 5" Or Both. I just want to shoot .357, not really interested in 44. Any other models I should consider? Ruger GP100?

On a side note anyone shoot 22lr Revolvers? Just as fun as their semiauto counterparts?

UWone77
27 November 2017, 13:21

Thanks for the first hand experience Dave. I agree that's why I only wanted to shoot .38 and .357. The bigger bore calibers don't interest me at all. I actually want to enjoy shooting.

I have a few Snakes and constantly consider unloading them but the prices keep ascending. I don't feel they are worth the current market prices.

Love my Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 for hunting and keep a S&W 640 in .357 in my bedroom. Always loved shooting my revolvers. Never shot .22's much but my father has a few he loves.

I'd love to get a Python, (stainless 4 or 6") but I agree I don't think they're worth what the market will bear right now. I'm more of a buyer at 1200-1500, but I don't see prices going the other way. Colt could cash in if they released some new Revolvers, but that's not going to happen either.

Nighthawk/Korth if you can part with the cash.

I have been eyeballing a Performance Center 989 in 9mm for a while now, just as something fun to mess around with.

Thunder ranch used to make an R8 chambered in .45 ACP which seemed interesting as well.

Anything ported is fun too.

Funny you mention the Nighthawk. That's what really piqued my interest. Rainier got a few of those in months back and just handling it, made me want one. I'll probably just start with a 686 and see if I want to buy more than 1.

Jerry R
27 November 2017, 17:04
UW, you might want to consider a 687. It's a stainless 7 shot 357 and a very nice pistol. Their 4" has adjustable rear sights on is very controllable. I handloaded some 125 grain Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavities that are true "punkin rollers", but usually stay slightly below factory loadings. I really enjoy the revolvers ... but like you said, I'm an old man [BD]

mustangfreek
29 November 2017, 03:04
Wheel guns are fun when your feeling nostalgic....[BD]

First gun I shot was a smith 22 then a 38 , grew up shooting an anaconda.. which I think my father still has..onto my first pistol which was a 44 mag...

357,45acp, or 9mm would be my pick for a wheel gun nowadays..

Have had a few Ruger gp100’s (favorite was the 5” model) good guns, heavy stout built guns, had a 586 and 686 good guns also. Almost traded into a 687 but it just felt too big/bulky for me..

I don’t currently own any... I like em but never got hooked on em, would like to get another gp100 one of these days or a Smith 45 acp

RiverRat
29 November 2017, 10:10
I might have a few revolvers lying around. I'll freely admit to enjoying plinking with them, probably a throwback to my days of learning to shoot, firing at sticks floating down the river behind my house. In the days of expensive .22 LR, the revolvers' lower throughput was an added bonus.

I've attached a photo of a 3-screw Ruger Single Six and a S&M K22 Masterpiece, there's also a High Standard Double Nine lying around that I haven't photographed. All are older than I am (saying something) and remain fine-shooting firearms, though I prefer both the feel and sentimental attachment of the Ruger.

I've been seriously considering a Ruger 0627 (.22 LR/WMR Stainless Convertible) and if the company ever shortened the barrel on the .17 HMR variant, I would make a trip to the LGS immediately. Definitely fun stuff and I reach for the revolvers over any other rimfire handgun I own.

There are some larger calibers in the vault too. Among them is an old 13-3 K-Frame that's similar to a contemporary Model 66. It's a wonderful (though seldom-used) gun, running .38 Special or light .357 handloads instead of full throttle factory rounds. Based on my experience, 4" .357's are a perfect balance of size and punch. That 686 you mentioned would probably be my top choice - fantastic barrel length and you benefit from the beefier L-Frame. The Model 27 is the only other S&W .357 I would point out to you, but I suspect the 686 is more in your wheelhouse.

The grip angle on the Ruger GP100 has always seemed a little steep to me - the SP101 seems more conventional and I would give it a look if you're a Ruger fan.

voodoo_man
29 November 2017, 10:16
I have one.

But only because I needed one to go into communist states for a brief moment where they didn't allow 8+ rounds and the 43 did not yet exist.

It has since been sitting on my desk.

It's going to be 2018, why don't we put away old tech, yeah?

RiverRat
29 November 2017, 10:53
It's going to be 2018, why don't we put away old tech, yeah?

Do you own a watch with an automatic or handwinding movement?

Same thing, different slice of life.

UWone77
29 November 2017, 12:04

I think he uses a sun dial.

Stickman
29 November 2017, 12:06
I think he uses a sun dial.

He sells cut up wetsuits and calls them neoprene wedges. What do you expect?!

voodoo_man
29 November 2017, 16:13

Same thing?

"Vintage" watches are called "vintage" for a reason.

Comparing them to Vacheron's or Pateks, not even the tourbillion's just the standard new release watches is literally comparing horse drawn carriages of the 1800's to modern built production Ferrari's.

It's 2018, let old technology die already, we will all be better for it.

voodoo_man
29 November 2017, 16:13
He sells cut up wetsuits and calls them neoprene wedges. What do you expect?!

Says the guy who has a wedge and doesn't tell anyone because he's in the closet in love with it.

FortTom
29 November 2017, 22:37
Same thing?

It's 2018, let old technology die already, we will all be better for it.

So, let's get rid of our shotguns. The Chinese invented them several centuries ago. Do you own a "tactical" shotgun. If you do, it's gotta go. If we own a black powder rifle, because it won't sling over your swat gear, it's old tech and has to go? Revolvers still have both a practical and enjoyable place in peoples collections. Colt pythons are some of the most beautiful (factory) pistols I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. The triggers feel like they're on ball bearings. Running a box of .357 or .38 Spec is as fun today as it was when I was in my teens. S/A .44's have bagged a lot of game for me. I get the feeling you've grown up in a "technical" bubble and can't appreciate anything but.. if anyone took your "let old technology die already" seriously, and magically it just happened, a lot of people would lose a lot of joy shooting that "old tech" stuff.

FT[:D]

voodoo_man
30 November 2017, 04:05
So, let's get rid of our shotguns. The Chinese invented them several centuries ago. Do you own a "tactical" shotgun. If you do, it's gotta go. If we own a black powder rifle, because it won't sling over your swat gear, it's old tech and has to go? Revolvers still have both a practical and enjoyable place in peoples collections. Colt pythons are some of the most beautiful (factory) pistols I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. The triggers feel like they're on ball bearings. Running a box of .357 or .38 Spec is as fun today as it was when I was in my teens. S/A .44's have bagged a lot of game for me. I get the feeling you've grown up in a "technical" bubble and can't appreciate anything but.. if anyone took your "let old technology die already" seriously, and magically it just happened, a lot of people would lose a lot of joy shooting that "old tech" stuff.

Lol what? That not only doesn't make sense but it's exceedingly shortsighted.

Semi auto shotguns have extremely applicable designs to hunting and real world tactical application - most PDs just don't use semi autos, which is stupid.

Modern pump action shotguns are actually much slower than their originally made counterparts, and while they may have some limited application they are not as effective as a semi auto shotgun, and most often not nearly as effective as a rifle caliber option.

You are talking about feelings, enjoyment and beauty, I am talking about real world application and development of technology. You want to enjoy shooting revolvers? Knock yourself out, Id wager good money youll go for a semi auto pistol for personal defense though.

With your stance on the subject you shouldn't own a modern firearm at all then, right? I bet you do though. I wonder why that is....

FortTom
30 November 2017, 04:36
Lol what? That not only doesn't make sense but it's exceedingly shortsighted.

Semi auto shotguns have extremely applicable designs to hunting and real world tactical application - most PDs just don't use semi autos, which is stupid.

Modern pump action shotguns are actually much slower than their originally made counterparts, and while they may have some limited application they are not as effective as a semi auto shotgun, and most often not nearly as effective as a rifle caliber option.

You are talking about feelings, enjoyment and beauty, I am talking about real world application and development of technology. You want to enjoy shooting revolvers? Knock yourself out, Id wager good money youll go for a semi auto pistol for personal defense though.

With your stance on the subject you shouldn't own a modern firearm at all then, right? I bet you do though. I wonder why that is....

Your post read like this: get rid of old technology. Had you said get rid of it for tactical uses, then maybe you might have "made sense". And that bit of advice is pretty short sighted in itself. Especially since I'm pretty sure the OP shoots modern tech gear, or they wouldn't be here in the first place. He just wanted a little revolver advice.

There's nothing in my post that indicates that I shouldn't own a "modern" firearm, based on feelings. If you want to call semi-auto "new" technology, so be it. Refined, yes, new, nope.[:D] Some of us do like to shoot something other than a SIG, Glock or AR once in a while, and I believe I can discern whether to carry an M&P over a black powder single shot duelling pistol for self defense.

voodoo_man
30 November 2017, 05:09
Your post read like this: get rid of old technology. Had you said get rid of it for tactical uses, then maybe you might have "made sense". And that bit of advice is pretty short sighted in itself. Especially since I'm pretty sure the OP shoots modern tech gear, or they wouldn't be here in the first place. He just wanted a little revolver advice.

There's nothing in my post that indicates that I shouldn't own a "modern" firearm, based on feelings. If you want to call semi-auto "new" technology, so be it. Refined, yes, new, nope.[:D] Some of us do like to shoot something other than a SIG, Glock or AR once in a while, and I believe I can discern whether to carry an M&P over a black powder single shot duelling pistol for self defense.

Right so other than not touching the points I've made you've made my argument for me.

Carry on.

FortTom
30 November 2017, 05:31

I don't know if the quality is still there, but I used to own a Taurus .357 that was at least as nice as any of it's S&W counterparts and about 1/2 the price. Gave it to my cousin years ago and he's still shooting it.

Shooting .22 revolvers IMO is a double edged sword. A good revolver is sweet as heck, and can be extremely accurate. The down side is when you're shooting the hell out of the revolver, the fun has to stop every 6 or 7 rounds to reload vs. a high cap magazine. Both the Smiths you mentioned would probably make you happy. It might take a couple of hundred rounds or so to wear in and lose any grittiness and creep it may have, but a little gun grease will help with that. Just my humble opinion.[:D]

SINNER
30 November 2017, 10:10
I'm over here trying to figure out how in the hell pump actions got slower. After I get to the bottom of that I will proceed to smash all my outdated bolt guns. LOL Some stupid ass comments in this one.

alamo5000
30 November 2017, 10:20
I personally don't think in this regard technology is relevant at all. Hell man, people are shooting frickin' muzzle loaders for crying out loud.

People restore Model T's and muscle cars from the 1950's. Likewise people shoot old military rifles all the time. In other words there is such a thing as doing this stuff for fun.

I doubt that a wheel gun in this case will become more than just something fun to shoot.

voodoo_man
30 November 2017, 13:14
I'm over here trying to figure out how in the hell pump actions got slower. After I get to the bottom of that I will proceed to smash all my outdated bolt guns. LOL Some stupid ass comments in this one.

If you want to direct your comment towards someone you should quote them, otherwise you come off as passive aggressive.

If you believe my statements to be inaccurate then you should provide evidence of such a stance. Having shot original made shotguns on several occasions they are definitely faster, you should do your own research before asserting something you have no experience about.

As for bolt rifles, if you think a mosin nagant is the same as a .338 savage you are not only mistaken you are well into a cup of denial.

alamo5000
30 November 2017, 13:55
As for bolt rifles, if you think a mosin nagant is the same as a .338 savage you are not only mistaken you are well into a cup of denial.

There is no question that technology has gotten substantially better. Everything from the materials used to the process to machine it, to increases in ammo performance all have played a major role. Even the gun powder they are using now is better than what it used to be.

I still think you're looking at this thread through the lens of work. If I was a cop and was sent in to raid a crack house I sure as hell would not want to be given a mosin nagant or a .38 special in lieu of other current options.

That said I think this has kind of gone off on a tangent a little bit. Like I said before, there is a lot of guns I would shoot just for fun.

Long story short there is nothing wrong with wheel guns. I don't think they are meant to be a replacement for anything but they have their place where it is.

UWone77
30 November 2017, 14:04
I don't care if you don't like wheel guns, or have fantasies that old school pump shotties were faster.

Let's get back on topic. Anything after this not related to the topic will be cleaned up.

Thanks.

henpecked
30 November 2017, 14:29
Cant go wrong with Either the 686 or the GP100. I prefer the 6 inch versions. Both are pretty accurate.

alamo5000
30 November 2017, 14:47
I remembered this from a few months ago. Obviously you don't need to watch the whole thing, but relevant information is at 12:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aonx9icCbVA

ChattanoogaPhil
1 December 2017, 06:20
One of the things I enjoy about revolvers for recreational use is that you can reload without being bound to an autoloader's cycling requirements. I reload 38spcl cases using 148gr DEWC and 2.6gr of Winchester 231. Accurate easy shooting load in the Tracker I mentioned earlier feeling close to a 22LR. Great for the wife and grandkids too.

Revolvers are simple to operate, reliable, versatile and VERY forgiving. Worthy characteristics for both recreational and self defense use.

Army203
30 December 2017, 13:11
You know, I actually enjoy the my S&W in 45s and 44s more than my wheel guns in .38 and 357. I hand load my .44's though. So I don't get a lot of recoil from the light loaded .44spl and .44mags. Especially in the N' frame guns. I only own one Snake model. The .44 and .45s are more accurate than most people can shoot.

If you are going to get a ruger GP-100 they are solid guns. I recommend having the trigger smoothed out some. I don't own any Ruger Wheel guns anymore though. I jumped on the Classic S&W wagon years ago.

Find yourself a nice S&W Model 10-5 or 10-6. I enjoy shooting my 10-5 with a 5' barrel. Its a fun range toy and will become my old man gun when I am in my 80's. I also recommend the S&W in .45ACP. Seriously, if you aren't going to hand load .44mag or Spl. Getting a 625 or 25-2 is the way to go. Still a lot of fun to shoot and not a lot of recoil with factory loads. Yeah, you have to deal with moon clips, but they aren't that big of a deal.

If you are going to stick with .357 and 38 I recommend the Model 66-whatever with a 4' barrel. If you can find a nice blued 586 you will have a soft shooting gun that is also beautiful with the blueing.

Too bad I moved or I could let you try whatever I have in my stable.

Joelski
30 December 2017, 13:46
The only advice I can give is go with something that will double up with a lever gun. It saves on extra calibers whether you reload or not!

FortTom
30 December 2017, 14:36
The only advice I can give is go with something that will double up with a lever gun. It saves on extra calibers whether you reload or not!

Excellent advice, Joelski. Maybe a Marlin .44 mag, with your choice of .44 revolver. I used to carry that same combo, hunting in areas where there are critters who want to kill you. I've owned a stainless Ruger revolver, but preferred a Super Blackhawk S/A for hunting. Makes one sleep at night where the critter count outside of the tent, was a little shakey.[:D]

FT

GOST
30 December 2017, 14:49
I’ve had both a 4” 686 and a GP100. I preferred the balance of the 686. Recently got to shoot a 686 Plus and loved it, may be my next purchase.

velocity2006
31 December 2017, 14:55
The 686 is an almost perfect revolver.

FortTom
1 January 2018, 15:33
I’ve had both a 4” 686 and a GP100. I preferred the balance of the 686. Recently got to shoot a 686 Plus and loved it, may be my next purchase.
GOST, have you ever tried a Super Redhawk? If you want a DA and might pair it with a .44 lever gun, it's a great pair, especially when you're hunting in really heavy crap and don't have much room to swing the rifle. I've owned a couple, but prefer the Stainless S/A with some Hogue or Pachmayer rubber grips and a 7.5 barrel.

GOST
2 January 2018, 15:07
I have a Super Black Hawk and like it except for the trigger guard.

Joelski
2 January 2018, 16:26
I shot a redhawk .41 mag and that thing kicked like an angry pirate! [:D]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

UWone77
13 January 2018, 17:30

SINNER
13 January 2018, 18:32
Great revolver. Mine has traveled many miles.

KW900A
13 January 2018, 20:02
Awesome way to start! Been eyeballing those myself

Jerry R
28 January 2018, 12:54
That's a VERY nice start ...

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4881&d=1517172786

FortTom
28 January 2018, 13:09

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4881&d=1517172786
Damn Jerry, great collection. I've probably had at least that many revolvers, but many of them were at a time in my life (especially in the military, that I couldn't afford to own them all at once. I had to try one and trade it for another. Favorites were Black Hawks and Red Hawks for hunting. Wish I could have them all back, so if you will, just ship those to me, and I'd be cool with that.[:D] Seriously, the most beautiful revolver I ever handled was a colt python. The trigger felt like it was not only light, but on ball bearings. Those things go for a few ounces of gold around here now, and I have constant regrets that I never bought one, or while I was younger, wasn't in the position to buy one. Around here, you couldn't buy one for less than a bucket full of gold. All kidding aside, nice herd there.

SINNER
28 January 2018, 13:15

Very nice!

Jerry R
28 January 2018, 14:47
^^^ LOVE the Snubbie !!

ChattanoogaPhil
28 January 2018, 16:22
Did I hear someone say snubbie?

https://i.imgur.com/op28GnJ.jpg

Txfilmmaker
28 January 2018, 18:19
My brother-in-law has a couple of Colt Pythons. Great guns and fun to shoot. A definite favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry R
29 January 2018, 13:03
Someone say "Python" ??

New in 1972 ...
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4884&d=1517259660

FortTom
30 January 2018, 06:53
Someone say "Python" ??

New in 1972 ...
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4884&d=1517259660
Ha! Dig that "old school" Redfield scope. For a while they made some pretty damn good scopes, up until the early to mid 80's, then they went to hell in a hand basket, I don't know what happened. Then they fell off the face of the earth. Love that Python, though!.

Jerry R
30 January 2018, 07:43
Thanks FT. With that scope and sandbags, it would shoot factory stuff in an inch at 50 yards.

Aragorn
30 January 2018, 09:12
Someone say "Python" ??

New in 1972 ...

Whoa that's gorgeous. Now I want to go shoot a pistol long distance.

Jerry R
18 June 2018, 11:31
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5478&d=1529346521

mustangfreek
1 July 2018, 23:53
Very nice, been on my list for a long time..

Jerry R
2 October 2019, 13:42
Lets bring this thread back to life ...

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6915&d=1570048638

UWone77
2 October 2019, 14:00
Jerry, you have the sweetest wheel guns man. I wish I was Griffonsec LOL

FortTom
2 October 2019, 14:04

[:D]I'll second that

SINNER
2 October 2019, 20:42
Agree 100%

Drool worthy revolvers.

Jerry R
3 October 2019, 05:36

[:D]I'll second that

Thanks Guys. I already have them parsed for the will between Griff and his LEO brother. Don't want a "Family Feud" after I'm gone. [BD]

Jerry R
4 October 2019, 12:54
S&W 696 A 3 Inch 5-Shot 44 Special. A little heavy, but carried it for awhile.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6921&d=1570218807

mustangfreek
7 October 2019, 16:36

I lol’d at this..

Indeed, nice revolvers...

So what’s your favorite?

Jerry R
9 October 2019, 06:14
I lol’d at this..

Indeed, nice revolvers...

So what’s your favorite?

Thank you Sir. Favorite has to be the 3" 625 ... 45 ACP with moon clips.

mustangfreek
11 October 2019, 01:08
Haha..the same gun I’ve wanted for a long time.

Nice choice.

Jerry R
15 October 2019, 07:44
Haha..the same gun I’ve wanted for a long time.

Nice choice.

Sorta like this one ...

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6956&d=1571150591

UWone77
19 November 2019, 17:43
Anyone have one of the new snake guns? Specifically the King Cobra?

Thinking about picking one of those up, along with the anticipated new Python at SHOT 2020.

mustangfreek
21 November 2019, 16:47
I grew up shooting a king cobra and python...the old man still has them..

Great guns...

gts350
28 November 2019, 19:19
NOTHING is more reliable than a revolver. if I could only have one gun it would be a Colt Python in 357 magnum. I can't say I've ever shot anything that had so much kick it wasn't enjoyable, in fact the enjoyment has always been directly in proportion to the size of the round. A couple I've been fortunate to shoot include a Smith & Wesson Lew Horton Special in 44mag with a 2.5" barrel and a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 Maximum (a cartridge case .315 inches longer than a standard .357 Mag) both of which were amazing guns to shoot and in the top 5 weapons I have had the opportunity to shoot.
For all the young ladies in this thread complaing about the kick of a revolver in a larger round perhaps you should stick to sewing[emoji16]

To the OP yes you should absolutely pick up a wheel gun. They are wonderful to shoot and extremely accurate.

MoxyDave
29 November 2019, 14:37
NOTHING is more reliable than a revolver. if I could only have one gun it would be a Colt Python in 357 magnum.

I enjoy revolvers as much as the next guy but hey, let's be real. Revolvers are far more complicated with many more parts than a typical polymer wondergun. For example, if the cylinder timing is just a tiny bit off, it can screw up everything. Just look how many parts there are in each one:

I guess I'm being pedantic today.

Aragorn
29 November 2019, 15:01
I’ve never seen any type of gun run 100% reliable. I’ve seen glocks fail, AK’s go down, and even had a revolver jam up. Tell me how tf THAT happens. Couldn’t even open the cylinder.

Best I’ve ever seen is that X should be more reliable than y. Doesn’t necessarily mean it is or will be.

UWone77
29 November 2019, 15:41
I enjoy revolvers as much as the next guy but hey, let's be real. Revolvers are far more complicated with many more parts than a typical polymer wondergun. For example, if the cylinder timing is just a tiny bit off, it can screw up everything. Just look how many parts there are in each one:

I can diagnose a lot of issues with just a punch in the field on a Glock. You can't do that with a revolver.

gts350
30 November 2019, 19:47
QUOTE=MoxyDave;174543]I enjoy revolvers as much as the next guy but hey, let's be real. Revolvers are far more complicated with many more parts than a typical polymer wondergun. For example, if the cylinder timing is just a tiny bit off, it can screw up everything. Just look how many parts there are in each one:

I guess I'm being pedantic today.[/QUOTE]

I think your being more ignorant than pedantic if you think a measure of reliability is based on how many parts are used in the manufacturing of a firearm. There are several more important factors when it comes to reliability in a firearm only some of which are: Design, Manufacture, Material, Maintenance, etc.
We all know of weapons that had to have parts added to them in subsequent releases to make the weapon more reliable
One could argue to use less parts to do more work could come at a cost of reliability while having more parts to accomplish a complicated action would aid in reliability
As far as " If the cylinder timing is just a tiny bit off, it can screw up everything"
If we're going to use "If" problems here is a small list of "ifs"
Slamfire
Out-of-battery discharge
Hammer follow
*Failure to feed
*Rim lock
*Stovepipe
*Failure to extract
*Magazine failure
All of which could cause injury or death to you (*) or others (**)
Other than a new gun (from a questionable manufacture a friend of mine purchased) that was returned. I have never personally expereanced timing issues with any of my revolvers.
On the other hand I have personaly had 5 of the above issues and have witnessed 2 others none of which was with a revolver[emoji16].

I can diagnose a lot of issues with just a punch in the field on a Glock. You can't do that with a revolver.
That may be true however, I have never had to diagnose "a lot of issues" with any of my revolvers while in the field.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Stone
30 November 2019, 20:54
"One could argue to use less parts to do more work could come at a cost of reliability while having more parts to accomplish a complicated action would aid in reliability"

So lets hear it, without the use of another logical fallacy.

Injury or death from a stove pipe? Really? I would like to see some statistics on that one...

There is a reason the militarys of the world, LEO agancys, federal agencys, swat teams and the vast majority of armed citizens of the world have moved away from revolvers. And its not because of their reliablility.[bash]

gts350
30 November 2019, 21:38
"One could argue to use less parts to do more work could come at a cost of reliability while having more parts to accomplish a complicated action would aid in reliability"

So lets hear it.

Injury or death from a stove pipe? Really? I would like to see some statistics on that one...

I believed the first statement speaks for itself but, if you cant figure it out on your own I won't try to explain Archimedes' Formula lets just say a fulcrum and lever (stick and a rock) works better than a stick at it's intended purpose.
Second statement: Again, if you cant figure it out for yourself. Since we are talking about reliability (being you pull the trigger and a bullet leaves the chamber) you take a shot in a life and death situation and miss or wound your target (be it a bad guy or attacking animal) and it stove pipes by the time you clear it (especially in a stressful situation) and pull the slide your aggressor has the opportunity to attack. If you don't think this happens you've never been hunting or been in the unfortunate situation to have to double tap an aggressor.

Stone
30 November 2019, 21:56
Well on the other side of the coin, when your swapping out your empty six shot chamber the bad guy is finishing off his first 17 round mag and boom, your fucking dead. So since you couldnt figure that one out, I figured I would explain it to you, since it doesnt sound like you get out much. Clearing a stove pipe is a quick swipe and fast rack. Thats practiced along with keeping plenty of initial distance from an attacker. Situational awareness is the first line of defense, having a pistol is just another. You know Clint, you should really get out of your moms basemant. Again, trying to prove a point using another logical fallacy. Come on dude... Assumptions and logical fallacys are the work of the willingly ignorant.

gts350
30 November 2019, 22:29
Well on the other side of the coin, when your swapping out your empty six shot chamber the bad guy is finishing off his first 17 round mag and boom, your fucking dead. So since you couldnt figure that one out, I figured I would explain it to you, since it doesnt sound like you get out much. Clearing a stove pipe is a quick swipe and fast rack. Thats practiced along with keeping plenty of initial distance from an attacker. Situational awareness is the first line of defense, having a pistol is just another. You know Clint, you should really get out of your moms basemant. Again, trying to prove a point using another logical fallacy. Come on dude... Assumptions and logical fallacys are the work of the willingly ignorant..

This post really shows who you are your mom should be proud of you (why don't you go upstairs and ask her).

As far as needing to reload after 6 rounds. Is it a gunfight at the OK corral? Even then I'd have 12 shots. You may need 17 rounds to hit your target. I can assure you I will hit mine in 1 or 2 depending if it's day or night[emoji16]

Stone
30 November 2019, 23:12
That s pretty funny except Im going to have to deduct a few stars for piggy backing on my material. If you dont think the bad guys are going to carry extra ammo then you should really re think things.
The OK Coral was a fart in the wind compared to the neighborhood I grew up in in Chicago. As far as my aiming goes, well lets see. This morning I ran some moving and shooting drills, fast draw and worked on speed re-loads with my G17. In the first 5-17 round mags on 4 inch steel rounds I managed 83 hits out of 85 rounds fired. Thats all moving and shooting, in a snow storm on uneven terrain at an average distance of 20 feet. Not to shabby for not having shot in about a month. How did you do today?

gts350
1 December 2019, 00:45
I don't like to discuss how well I shot on the internet because first off its no ones business and second it appears as if I'm trying to make myself appear better than others, a weak behavior of which I don't partake.
Since instead of having an educated discussion of the merits of a revolver, you want to be rude profane and turn it into a pissing contest, remember UWone77`s question was School me on wheel guns, not School me on what a great shot Stone seems to think he is, I will simply give you my shooting regiment ( as far as my ability you can believe whatever you want I REALLY don't care) I'm issued 1000 rounds of ammunition a month (2 calibers) of which I must return the large caliber brass for proof of practice. This does not include any of my personal shooting in a non-competition caliber or any competition of which I am required to participate to keep my position. If like you I took a month off from shooting I would drop in my ranking something I'm not willing to do. As far as how I do, I've been told I'm an OK shot and I believe there is always room for improvement.

UWone77
1 December 2019, 07:22
That may be true however, I have never had to diagnose "a lot of issues" with any of my revolvers while in the field.

I've never had to diagnose a Glock in the field, just saying I could if I had to, not so much with a revolver.

gatordev
1 December 2019, 08:19
Like every other silly internet argument, this assumes there's only one right way to do something. Use what you want to use and train to it. It might not be the best solution, maybe it is, but training to it is where the value of the system of choice will become apparent.

UWone77
1 December 2019, 10:09
Like every other silly internet argument, this assumes there's only one right way to do something. Use what you want to use and train to it. It might not be the best solution, maybe it is, but training to it is where the value of the system of choice will become apparent.

It usually starts going down hill when someone claims something is the best, most reliable, ect.

Let's just talk about wheel guns people... like how I plan to get a King Cobra, and a the new Python that will likely be announced SHOT 2020

MoxyDave
1 December 2019, 13:03
Now I'm thinking about taking out my little LCR in .22lr and doing some plinking ... anybody else have one? It's one of the hardest guns for me to hit with, but I love it ... maybe because it IS so tough? It was also SUPER expensive! I think I paid somewhere near $800 and it was tough to find locally ...

Joelski
1 December 2019, 15:02
It's not like there's a million god damn people on this forum. Be nice to each other of fuck off. - Not a mod.

Stone
1 December 2019, 17:26
I just asked for clarification on a few things then got shit on with a condescending answer. Sorry for mucking up your thread UW. Carry on...

gts350
1 December 2019, 19:50
I just asked for clarification on a few things then got shit on with a condescending answer. Sorry for mucking up your thread UW. Carry on...Nice fake apology, trying to shift the blame (you must be a liberal). Read your post you started this with your condescending "REALLY" comment. Then you followed it up with profanity.
Dont ask a question if you dont want the answer. I never realized people in this group would be so thin skinned, when someone presents information that they don't agree with. I assumed people wanted to hear both sides. This must be the only gun forum full of Democrats.

As far as my original statement. I decided to take a poll at a tournament this weekend out of 32 members who shoot both revolvers and semi-automatic I asked the question have you ever pulled the trigger and for "any reason" the weapon prevented you from taking the next shot (In other words could you RELIABLY take a another shot without having to take any additional measure)?
the results were:
Semi-auto - 32 people had this happen at least once
(all indicated multiple times)
Revolver - 6 people had this happen at least once
I know this is a small sample but, you see a trend.
If the people here are actually shooting s-autos then they have had it happen to them. I dont know one s-auto shooter who hasn't. Now ask the revolver SHOOTERS (not just some guy with an opinion) you will find these numbers bare out. So I stand by the statement. I am going to continue this poll because I find it interesting. I started the poll to keep people here informed, but it appears many here aren't interested in being informed unless it agrees with their opinion. Apparently this isn't the group I thought it was. I will do both of us a favor and unsubscribe.
Good luck,
You're going to need it.

UWone77
1 December 2019, 20:26
Nice fake apology, trying to shift the blame (you must be a liberal). Read your post you started this with your condescending "REALLY" comment. Then you followed it up with profanity.
Dont ask a question if you dont want the answer. I never realized people in this group would be so thin skinned, when someone presents information that they don't agree with. I assumed people wanted to hear both sides. This must be the only gun forum full of Democrats.

Welcome to the forum.

Calling other people names, generalizing people as Democrats... really not kosher.

People are friendly here, we like to talk about guns, but it's in the delivery.

Try not to be a dick.

FortTom
3 December 2019, 22:36
Welcome to the forum.

Calling other people names, generalizing people as Democrats... really not kosher.

People are friendly here, we like to talk about guns, but it's in the delivery.

Try not to be a dick.

I intentionally stayed out of this, everyone else was doing fine and didn't need my input. It appears as Gts came here with a chip on his shoulder. Try not to be a dick? I think it's ingrained into his DNA. Anyway, GTS this form is a bit more of a brotherhood than just another forum. We as a group have come to the aide of brothers in need, help out with parts, whatever. Even when we disagree, and ruffle one another's feathers, we all know it's just in good fun. Even the Admin UW showed great restraint in asking you to "be friendly and don't be a dick". Most forum admins and mods would have banned you several posts ago. There is a LOT of talent here especially with the LEO/MIL crowd, but not exclusively that crowd. Lots and lots of civilians with a LOT of experience.

Chill, be cool, and you just might make a lot of friends here.