PDA

View Full Version : 150 Grain SMK (Extreme Long Range Bullet)

alamo5000
25 November 2017, 16:04
I was plundering around the internet and I ran across this:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/1755/264-dia-65mm-150-gr-HPBT

A 150 grain 6.5mm (.264) bullet with a BC of .713!!!! That is absolutely INSANE! For those of us who want to do some really long range shooting (and as I plan out my future long range rig) here are some points of interest.

With that bullet loaded to 2600 FPS it will still be supersonic out past 1600 yards on your average 80 degree day. Holy smokes man.

If you look at some of the load data people have put up they can push these bullets out at up to 2800 FPS.

Here are a few other links so you can read up on it yourself if you're interested.

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/01/09/sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-load-data/

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/10/13/sierra-introduces-new-6-5mm-150-gr-matchking-bullet/

https://rifleshooter.com/2017/10/6-5-creedmoor-loads-6-5-mm-150-gr-sierra-matchking-smk/

In that bottom link the guy got a group that was .339 inches and at the same time achieved 2621 FPS out of a 1:8 twist gun.

Wow. I think when I finally get around to buying or building a bolt gun I might go straight for the 6.5 CM.

Out of curiosity I have only found one barrel maker that will make a twist faster than 1:8 in 6.5CM. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to get one that is 1:7 (Sierra recommends 1:7.5 or faster twist rates)

alamo5000
25 November 2017, 16:13
With that bullet and a Vortex Razor HD Gen II you can pull 1000 yard shots without even adjusting your turrets!!!

Former11B
26 November 2017, 14:09
The numbers are amazing....I just don’t have anywhere to shoot that would do calibers like 6.5CM, .338LM etc justice. The longest range I can get to is 600yds and it’s invite only; my membership range is 300yds

alamo5000
26 November 2017, 14:47
The numbers are amazing....I just don’t have anywhere to shoot that would do calibers like 6.5CM, .338LM etc justice. The longest range I can get to is 600yds and it’s invite only; my membership range is 300yds

I am very fortunate in this regard. At present I have access to 1,400. Going out to 1600 or even a mile is possible at that spot but I might have to hunt around for alternatives. If anything happens where I don't or can't go there anymore I will have to figure out something new.

Still though, I think this could be a lot easier shooting that a .308 so in an overall sense of the word, for me at least it might be a better bang for my buck. I could just build or buy one gun that can do really long range stuff and at the same time have a round that can do whatever I would need it to both shorter (relatively speaking) and at longer ranges.

One caliber and that's that. I am pretty sure a 6.5 bullet could knock down bambi but then again I don't hunt that often. Considering that I would probably put $5000 bucks (including optics) or more into one gun this caliber seems to be able to scratch all itches. And on top of that even if I load with these bullets 100% of the time my reloads would still be substantially cheaper than trying to go .338 or anything like that.

Joelski
26 November 2017, 15:23
As compelling as 6.5 CM is, I'm really tempted by .224 Valkrie. Damn near identical in flight ballistics and hangs with the CM for a fer piece.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

alamo5000
26 November 2017, 15:56
As compelling as 6.5 CM is, I'm really tempted by .224 Valkrie. Damn near identical in flight ballistics and hangs with the CM for a fer piece.

Yes. I have been looking at that too. I am not one to jump on untested things so I will let others sort out the details first. It's not ruled out by far at this point. Who knows. If I come into a lot of money one of these days I will have a lot more options.

Former11B
27 November 2017, 16:32
Yes. I have been looking at that too. I am not one to jump on untested things so I will let others sort out the details first. It's not ruled out by far at this point. Who knows. If I come into a lot of money one of these days I will have a lot more options.

The Optimus Micro is rated for 224 Valkyrie ;)

alamo5000
27 November 2017, 16:54

I am already on board on that one. I am going to get one. I am sort of in cash conservation mode but I might ask for a few gift certificates to Silencer Shop for Christmas to help with that.

It's pretty much chalked up already. I just need to get my ass online and order one.

alamo5000
27 November 2017, 16:57

I have a Recce 7 and a Recce 5 in jail right now though. I figure get the NFA stuff first then I can back fill on guns for them later. Maybe that's backwards thinking but that's how I'm doing it. LOL

I have been really trying to get the micro out of my mind but it's a futile attempt.

mustangfreek
29 November 2017, 02:57
The Valkyrie has some good looking stats. If the support comes in for dies,brass etc...I would probably need one..

Ordnance
29 November 2017, 17:48
Advertised BC and actual BC are two totally different beasts. Then there's the issue of consistency from lot to lot, and the fact that they're still not tipping them.

Ordnance
29 November 2017, 17:56

Yeah... No. Maybe you're thinking against the 6.5 Grendel. At 1K+ you're looking at roughly an extra .4-.5+mil for a 10mph value, and an extra 1.7-2 mils in elevation.

Ordnance
29 November 2017, 18:03
Alright guys, as much as a like wildcats and guys interested in getting into long range shooting, I'm going to be blunt. For under 1K yds, sure, it has it's merits. But, the comparisons at long distances well beyond 1K to a 6.5CM, 6.5x47, 6.5 Addiction, 6 Dasher, SLR, or whatever flavor... not really a comparison.

Joelski
29 November 2017, 20:08
I stand corrected, not that I really GAF. Since you apparently don't suffer less experienced people very well, how about you hit the ignore button, Chief?

Ordnance
29 November 2017, 20:44
I stand corrected, not that I really GAF. Since you apparently don't suffer less experienced people very well, how about you hit the ignore button, Chief?

You really take shit way to personal there "chief." You made a statement about ballistics that was incorrect. I didn't say you were a retard, but simply that you might have it confused with the Grendel, and then gave you information regarding the actual differences. How about instead of me putting you on ignore, so you can feel good about saying whatever you want without ever being corrected, you instead realize your on an internet forum, and therefore you will encounter differing opinions. If you really don't GAF, then why even bother responding?

alamo5000
29 November 2017, 20:55
Advertised BC and actual BC are two totally different beasts. Then there's the issue of consistency from lot to lot, and the fact that they're still not tipping them.

I am a total open book for the next 'big' build (or purchase) I do. I still might be quite a ways off due to finances and stuff. I haven't decided on a caliber just yet... I am basically 'window shopping' while I learn stuff.

As of right now if I was rich I would build or buy an AR10 that I have always wanted and then also build a custom bolt rig that can shoot long range (1600+ or a mile or so).

Right now my thinking is that a 6.5 CM would scratch my itches better. Firstly I will and do reload. Dropping $5000 bucks on a rifle setup for 98% pure steel shooting fun I think the 6.5 would be a reasonable choice. Even with these expensive ass bullets I could probably reload for a lot more reasonable rate. After the price of brass is factored out I could probably be shooting for .50 cents to .75 cents a round. If I chose different more common bullets probably much less. Basically I could afford to shoot it at that price. For less than $100 bucks I could go have a whole day of fun.

That caliber and bullet combos basically offers me the ability to shoot far for less $$ as other options. For me the decision is much more about the best allocation of funds. Shooting sure as hell isn't a cheap sport so I have to figure my best bang. If I ever did go hunting for example I am certain a 6.5 CM would smoke bambi in a heartbeat. That said I am not a big hunter per se (not for lack of desire) so most if not all of my shooting is entertainment purposes only.

The long range bug though is like crack. It's addictive as hell. I like shooting all kinds of things, but getting in the zone and laying them out there far is awesome. It's relaxing, requires a lot of concentration, but also gives me that 'high'. I don't know how I will get from point A to B but I am going to get there eventually even if I have to buy stuff part by part over time.

alamo5000
29 November 2017, 20:58
If I was UWone77 though it would be a totally different situation [BD] Man. That guy must have inherited a ton of money! LOL

Ordnance
29 November 2017, 21:02
If you reload, and you're not worried about factory ammo offerings, I would also heavily consider the 6.5x47. Semi's have increased difficulty when it comes to overall accuracy due to having more recoil impulses than the singular impulse of a bolt, so if you're just starting out, you might want to start with a bolt before a semi. If you want, I can direct you towards good resources for finding deals on loading components and other long range equipment. It is bloody expensive, but if you pay attention to promotions, and buy in bulk lots when you can, it a) gets even cheaper, and b) then you're working with same lots in bullets and powder, so you tend to get more consistency in your loads, and therefore better accuracy. There's also reloading equipment out there that you may have never even hear of, that makes it easier to load with more consistency and precision, but they aren't cheap.

Ordnance
29 November 2017, 21:03
If I was UWone77 though it would be a totally different situation [BD] Man. That guy must have inherited a ton of money! LOL

Please... we all know he be robbin drug dealers on Pac Ave... lol

alamo5000
29 November 2017, 21:19
If you reload, and you're not worried about factory ammo offerings, I would also heavily consider the 6.5x47. Semi's have increased difficulty when it comes to overall accuracy due to having more recoil impulses than the singular impulse of a bolt, so if you're just starting out, you might want to start with a bolt before a semi. If you want, I can direct you towards good resources for finding deals on loading components and other long range equipment. It is bloody expensive, but if you pay attention to promotions, and buy in bulk lots when you can, it a) gets even cheaper, and b) then you're working with same lots in bullets and powder, so you tend to get more consistency in your loads, and therefore better accuracy. There's also reloading equipment out there that you may have never even hear of, that makes it easier to load with more consistency and precision, but they aren't cheap.

The really long range precision gun will be a bolt gun. No doubt. As for reloading I am an advanced amateur. [BD] I reload everything. I have dreams about a spending the cash to get a dream set up so I could load a lot of ammo fast. Which is of course more money.

Honestly the biggest 'problem' (not really a problem per se) I have is getting an accurate enough charge. Keep in mind I get fanatical about it. For a while there I was weighing my cases and all that stuff which is actually a lot bigger deal than a couple extra kernels of powder...

If I go down this ultra long range rabbit hole though I am not going to scrimp. Even taking my time with what I have now I can make some decent loads no problem. I could churn out 100 rounds in not very long at all. The charging part though is what slows me down, mainly because I am OCD.

With my 16" AR when I was really pushing it I got a 10 shot group that I could cover up with a dime at 100 yards... you could see a little bit of the color but the dime covered the holes. I am guessing that was around .5 MOA or less? If I could weight match my brass and mass produce ammo like that it would be wonderful, but I backed off of my OCD some but it's still doing ok.

Reloading is a hobby in and of itself. I can go on all day about that and STILL have more to learn.

It has to be. He's that guy from Training Day where they snag a trash bag full of cash for their troubles. LOL!

UWone77
29 November 2017, 21:36
You really take shit way to personal there "chief." You made a statement about ballistics that was incorrect. I didn't say you were a retard, but simply that you might have it confused with the Grendel, and then gave you information regarding the actual differences. How about instead of me putting you on ignore, so you can feel good about saying whatever you want without ever being corrected, you instead realize your on an internet forum, and therefore you will encounter differing opinions. If you really don't GAF, then why even bother responding?

Maybe if you worked on your delivery and didn't come off like a dick head, people would like you more and listen to what you had to say.

I was dirt poor as a kid, never came from money.

I've been lucky over the years. Got into a house pretty cheap, my house payment for years was less than $750. Left plenty of cash for guns!

A few years ago I inherited 55k from my aunt when she passed. I promptly used the money to redo the kitchen countertops at my parents house and bought my old man a car. That's the only cash I've ever received that was an unexpected "windfall"

You actually have to work at being as poor as you are. [:D]

Joelski
29 November 2017, 21:47
Maybe if you worked on your delivery and didn't come off like a dick head, people would like you more and listen to what you had to say.[:D]

Fucking A!

I appreciate advice and accept constructive criticism pretty well too. Maybe it's not me if its apparent to other people.

alamo5000
29 November 2017, 21:47
I was dirt poor as a kid, never came from money.

I've been lucky over the years. Got into a house pretty cheap, my house payment for years was less than $750. Left plenty of cash for guns!

A few years ago I inherited 55k from my aunt when she passed. I promptly used the money to redo the kitchen countertops at my parents house and bought my old man a car. That's the only cash I've ever received that was an unexpected "windfall"

I was just poking fun. I don't mind other people having good fortune.

alamo5000
29 November 2017, 21:49
Fucking A!

I appreciate advice and accept constructive criticism pretty well too. Maybe it's not me if its apparent to other people.

Do we need a group hug here? LOL!!

UWone77
29 November 2017, 22:01
Fucking A!

I know Ordnance personally. Super knowledgeable, basically my personal "go to" anything long range shooting related.

But... dude... stop being a dick online.

Ordnance
30 November 2017, 08:04
You actually have to work at being as poor as you are. [:D]

Or don't work, ergo... ;)