PDA

View Full Version : Silencerco ASR vs MADD vs DeadAir keymo

Cotton68spc
30 November 2017, 16:18
My saker madd has failed me after 2 years and a lot of rounds and switching from gun to gun I called sico and they will send me a new mount but offered for me to switch to ASR they will also switch out all my MDs which is great but I love the one handed concept of the MADD system so I’m thinking of going to keymo ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UWone77
30 November 2017, 16:56
I know Slippers is a huge fan of the KeyMo.

Haven't used KeyMo, but so far the ASR has been an ok system for me. The MAAD mounts have notoriously been crap. Stuck and loose can complaints being universal.

Cotton68spc
30 November 2017, 17:32
I know Slippers is a huge fan of the KeyMo.

Haven't used KeyMo, but so far the ASR has been an ok system for me. The MAAD mounts have notoriously been crap. Stuck and loose can complaints being universal.

I have always oiled my MDs after it got stuck when I first had it and it never stuck again , now after 5 rounds it likes to go flying down range

titanse05
30 November 2017, 18:16
I just purchased a keymo adapter and brakes for my Omega. I was not impressed with the ASR mounts. So much so I went to direct thread. But now I need a reliable QD system that I feel confident in and the keymo seems to fit that need.

If you decide to go with keymo, here is the place that had the lowest prices.

https://www.modernthreatresponse.com/products/dead-air-key-mo

Sak007
30 November 2017, 18:21
I just purchased a keymo adapter and brakes for my Omega. I was not impressed with the ASR mounts. So much so I went to direct thread. But now I need a reliable QD system that I feel confident in and the keymo seems to fit that need.

Wow that's cheaper then I can get at dealer pricing , thanks for the link that may have just nudged me to spend more money with no thought of the consequences .........again [BD]

cjd3
30 November 2017, 18:44
My Omega had KeyMo therapy. The ASR locked up after only 20 rounds of 300BLK subs, so I finalized the switch. So far I like it a lot. I did run into a problem, as I have an earlier run of the Omegas. The KeyMo screws in further, resulting in the need to file dow the tooth of the spanner to get it tight. Its either that or shim it, or a strap wrench. So beyond that, I like it a lot more than the ASR, and now I have 3 ASR brakes to sell, and a flash hider. And I did just get them from Modern Threat Response too.

Slippers
30 November 2017, 20:03
Dead Air keymo is amazing. Saved my Saker. I now have a Sandman S purely because of the mount.

The original MAAD Trifecta was a piece of junk. Went through three of them. They loved to lock up on me, impossible to remove.

The ASR is usable, but you have to keep an eye on the spring tension. My Specwar 556K was notorious for unlocking while shooting.

fledge
30 November 2017, 20:51
I wonder how the Saker gets converted to ASR. If it’s easy to unscrew the mount, let them make the switch and replace all your muzzle devices. Then sell it all and get keymo with Dead Air devices. You can more easily sell asr MDs than outdated saker MDs.

My Omega is also an early run, like cjd3. Dead air sent me a replacement keymo because we both thought the keymo was the issue (they hadn’t tried it on an early run Omega). I may be selling my keymo since I have a sandman (and another on the way) and will use my Omega for dedicated direct thread in the future. It’s a solid adaptor and concept.

Sak007
30 November 2017, 20:57
My Omega had KeyMo therapy. The ASR locked up after only 20 rounds of 300BLK subs, so I finalized the switch. So far I like it a lot. I did run into a problem, as I have an earlier run of the Omegas. The KeyMo screws in further, resulting in the need to file dow the tooth of the spanner to get it tight. Its either that or shim it, or a strap wrench. So beyond that, I like it a lot more than the ASR, and now I have 3 ASR brakes to sell, and a flash hider. And I did just get them from Modern Threat Response too.

I'm not sure if my Omega is of the earlier run , how low is your serial # ?

cjd3
30 November 2017, 21:51
Later half of 5000

Sak007
30 November 2017, 22:09
I'm in the 9000's unfortunately I don't know what the cutoff is , apparently I will have to email Silencerco and try not to explain that I plan cheating on them

Cotton68spc
1 December 2017, 04:44

Thank you for the help I just bought one now I’ll have to buy one for hybrid if I like it

Cotton68spc
1 December 2017, 04:45
I wonder how the Saker gets converted to ASR. If it’s easy to unscrew the mount, let them make the switch and replace all your muzzle devices. Then sell it all and get keymo with Dead Air devices. You can more easily sell asr MDs than outdated saker MDs.

My Omega is also an early run, like cjd3. Dead air sent me a replacement keymo because we both thought the keymo was the issue (they hadn’t tried it on an early run Omega). I may be selling my keymo since I have a sandman (and another on the way) and will use my Omega for dedicated direct thread in the future. It’s a solid adaptor and concept.

Yes it’s really easy , thanks for the insight

BC98
1 December 2017, 19:20
I've had experience with all 3 mounting systems and prefer the KeyMo system. It replaced the MAAD mount on a Saker 5556 can. Originally, SiCo replaced all of my mounts and module with ASR but (and it sounds dumb) I didn't like how the ASR module looked when installed on the Saker. The module is a slightly larger diameter than the can and it looked awkward. The KeyMo module retains the the one-handed installation that I liked about the MAAD system but is much easier to visually confirm that it is locked in place than the MAAD mount. It has yet to get stuck on a host and I rotate it between 3 different SBR uppers. I also have a Sandman-K in NFA jail that will get added to this rotation. One of the reasons that I picked it up was my experience with the mounting system.

I do still have the ASR system on an Omega that I primarily run on a 300 BLK upper, bolt gun, and a precision AR and it serves the purpose for those just fine.

fledge
1 December 2017, 21:41

Easy to figure out. If your tube has wrench indexing ring at the bottom of the tube, you’re good to go. If it’s straight, then you have an early run and the index marks on the keymo will start to thread into the tube, requiring the wrench to be modified.

SilencerCo cannot/will not update your tube if you have the older model.

See this pic. It has the wrench indexing ring where the mount threads in. The keymo will mate up to it as designed.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171202/f2f0382c5772055d96b0603ae3527fba.jpg

cjd3
1 December 2017, 23:37
Easy to figure out. If your tube has wrench indexing ring at the bottom of the tube, you’re good to go. If it’s straight, then you have an early run and the index marks on the keymo will start to thread into the tube, requiring the wrench to be modified.

SilencerCo cannot/will not update your tube if you have the older model.

See this pic. It has the wrench indexing ring where the mount threads in. The keymo will mate up to it as designed.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171202/f2f0382c5772055d96b0603ae3527fba.jpg
Yup, mine doesn’t look like that.

titanse05
2 December 2017, 04:47
Yup, mine doesn’t look like that.Yeah mine either. Not a big deal to modify spanner wrench but is good to know ahead of time.

schambers
2 December 2017, 06:18
I got the keymo system for my saker when they were first introduced. A lot of up front cost but a good way to increase the longevity of the can.

Cotton68spc
3 December 2017, 15:22
Any body know where to key MDs at decent price 50-60 bucks or am I dreaming all I can find is 75-95

titanse05
3 December 2017, 17:30
Any body know where to key MDs at decent price 50-60 bucks or am I dreaming all I can find is 75-95

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYour dreaming I believe. Cheapest I could find was $69.

https://www.modernthreatresponse.com/collections/dead-air-parts/products/copy-of-dead-air-keymount-muzzle-brake

Use Code "SHIPSFREE" for free shipping over $75

titanse05
3 December 2017, 17:39
I got the keymo system for my saker when they were first introduced. A lot of up front cost but a good way to increase the longevity of the can.It's a great upgrade and worth the investment. I only had to invest ~$40 for my upgrade after selling off my ASR mount and two brakes.