PDA

View Full Version : .22 Pistols (Custom Build)

alamo5000
10 December 2017, 16:15
Is anyone familiar with either of these two products?

https://www.eabco.net/Volquartsen-2245-Aluminum-Frame_p_14001.html

https://www.tacticalsol.com/2245-and-mk-series-upgrades/pac-lite-45-threaded-barrel

I am not that familiar at all with .22 LR pistols so I am way out of my league but I figure I should do some homework. I am thinking of putting that barrel on that lower but at this point I am learning as much as possible. Any kind of information you have or can share please do so.

I am not really familiar with all the makes and models of Ruger pistols, Volquartsen, or Tactical Solutions or even what my options are here.

I will probably be really selective and buy an off the shelf pistol with a threaded barrel, but I am also thinking about getting something better or doing a project gun too.

Feel free to share away about all possible .22 suppressor hosts and/or ideas for a custom build.

alamo5000
12 December 2017, 14:05
OK so today I got lucky. I went to a gun shop that had a whole lot of cool stuff in stock, including some stuff from Volquartsen.

Being a .22LR noob I also managed to learn a lot about .22 pistols including Ruger Mark Series. One of my questions that I have had for a while now is about the MKI, II, III, IV series and what makes all those different. Today I got to actually handle some of those too. Basically I am writing an update here in case someone strolls across this on the interwebs. Of course this is my opinion mixed with some 'fact' about what I saw.

Ruger MK Series

Basically in each series they changed some buttons up. Slide stop, mag release, safety button, ambi controls etc. All that stuff makes the difference between the I, II, III, IV series.

In my findings I did not like the MK IV. It has ambi controls that poke into my hand and were irritating. The MKIII series is in my opinion the best of all of them. I think that series is still superior to the IV series. Also people make a big deal about the IV series being easier to take down. While I have yet to take down a pistol of that nature it seems to me to be a non issue. If I had to choose between the ergonomics of the III and the take down of the IV, I would go with the III all day long.

Also these pistols come with two basic grip angles. A Luger type steep angle and a 1911 less steep angle. I like the latter of the two. The 1911 style seemed to fit my hand and I like it.

On the stock Ruger including the LITE models the triggers suck. They had a trigger pull gauge and they were heavy and inconsistent. There were also a lot of weird crap on various models of the Ruger MK series that I did not like. For one they have some stupid mag safety thing which I absolutely did not like. I also kept pinching the crap out of my hand on the standard bolt.

Volquartsen

Fortunately for me they had a Volquartsen lower frame there (on a Volquartsen Scorpion pistol none the less) but that thing was BEAUTIFUL. I have seen videos online about it, and no, they were not exaggerating how good it is. I didn't get to shoot it but just holding it told me a whole lot.

The frame I mentioned above in my first post is based around the Mark III series and has all that annoying crap taken out. Plus the trigger is about 2.5 pounds and really light and crisp. Compared to the crappy sometimes 8 pounds of the Ruger trigger it's night and day.

In about 5 minutes or less I became a fan of Volquartsen pistols. Their lower frame and their bolt that they make is awesome. It makes the functionality of the gun a total different game.

I hear that the Scorpion is a stellar pistol and I don't doubt it a bit. That said I went in there to just see what they had and got lucky to handle one. That said those pistols are not cheap. $1200 bucks or more. If you are wanting to use the Ruger platform though I would highly recommend at least two upgrades: the trigger set and the bolt. It would be a few hundred bucks but it will make shooting 100x more pleasurable. At very least do the trigger. They have some attachable charging handles that go on stock bolts which would probably be a good investment if you don't want to buy an expensive new competition bolt.

Overall so far

For me I am still very much considering doing a Frankenpistol. I can get that lower frame mailed right to my house with no FFL. That's a complete set almost of the whole thing (except the bolt). With Ruger pistols the upper is the part with the serial numbers so that is what has to go through an FFL. Naturally I have asked for that lower frame for Christmas, and if that doesn't work I will ask for it for my birthday. [:D] Even if everyone throws in $100 bucks that is definitely the way to go.

Even if I build up my own pistol it will be around $1000 bucks or more should I go that route with all premium parts. I have more thoughts on the subject but I will leave it there for now.

While I was at that shop I did manage to see at least one other different brand of .22 suppressor host. It was 'ok' but nothing to write home about.

alamo5000
12 December 2017, 14:49
Those Scorpion pistols go for between $1200 to $1500 bucks or more. In my basic pricing of things out I could build a comparable pistol more tuned to what I would like for $300-$400 less than that using all top shelf stuff. Still kind of steep, but for a long term enjoyment who knows. I might be able to justify it.

I have to weigh out the pros and cons and see what other options there are out there. I don't know if buying a complete pistol and swapping things out on it would be more cost effective or not.

If I do go full on top shelf I would probably space out the purchase of parts over time like I did with my KIDD 10/22. It was still extremely expensive for a 10/22 but in the end I am equally pleased with it so far. Spending $200 bucks here or there, or getting parts for birthdays or holidays (or on sales) would take a lot of the sting out of an otherwise expensive gun.

cjd3
15 December 2017, 22:12
I have a 22/45 MKIii. I used to hate it. Then I learned the art of putting it back together. It can be very frustrating at first and awquard (upside down, thumb holding trigger down, rotate mainspring). But once you figure it out, it’s a breeze. I see no reason for me to upgrade my Mark III, should find some for cheaper now too since people get to easily discouraged (like I did, and almost sold it for a buckmark).

alamo5000
15 December 2017, 22:26
I have a 22/45 MKIii. I used to hate it. Then I learned the art of putting it back together. It can be very frustrating at first and awquard (upside down, thumb holding trigger down, rotate mainspring). But once you figure it out, it’s a breeze. I see no reason for me to upgrade my Mark III, should find some for cheaper now too since people get to easily discouraged (like I did, and almost sold it for a buckmark).

I have not taken one apart yet but I can say that the MK IV did not impress me that much. I might give it a second look later just to confirm, but as of right now I would rather learn to take down the MKIII than deal with the MKIV. I would rather have a gun that I enjoy shooting than one that I don't.

If I do this thing, and I probably will eventually, I will use the Volquartsen lower that I linked to above. That thing is a work of art.