PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACP. Worth it to suppress? Please share opinions.

alamo5000
17 December 2017, 19:18
I have been collecting NFA items at a pretty good rate since I joined this forum. I joined in Sept 2014 and in three years I have built two nice riles including an SBR and I have purchased a total of 5 suppressors. I am still not done with NFA items just yet. I can see at least another .22 can and possibly another .30 cal can. Depending on how things go I might SBR another lower at some future date. Other things are still TBD.

One hang up I have though is with .45 ACP. I am not sure if it's worth it just because of what it is but I figured I would get other people's opinions before I rule it out. I had part of this conversation in private but I have been thinking about it a lot lately so I wanted to expand the circle some and hear different opinions.

.45 ACP seems like it's apparently hard to suppress. Why that is I don't know, but I looked at some Silencer Shop videos and it seems like that caliber is not even in the same ballpark as 9mm and in fact even suppressed not always hearing safe.

While yes it's quieter than 160DB unsuppressed but at best from the looks of it your average .45ACP can is only border line hearing safe. My 5.56 can metered at the muzzle quieter than most .45 cans. (At the ear on an AR it's louder but that kind of makes me wonder about a dedicated .45 ACP can.)

With 9mm subs even in the short configuration the DB level is still in the mid to high 120's. Shooting 9mm subs suppressed is somewhat addicting. I can do it all day without ear protection.

I wouldn't give my 9mm can back for anything. That said having something huge hanging off the end of your barrel is cumbersome and takes a little getting used to, but in hind sight a 9mm can is a no brainer. Given the shorty cans are a lot more friendly, but on a .45 a shorty can is definitely not hearing safe. 9mm though you are easily hearing safe in either configuration.

Anyway I would like to hear other people's opinions about dedicated .45 cans. After being a bit more familiar now than when I started all this NFA stuff I am not so sure about .45 cans. I am kind of on the fence about them and I am trying to get kicked over one way or another.

Former11B
17 December 2017, 21:20
I’m a “suppress everything” kind of guy but after hearing a 9mm with 158gr Fiocchi compared to a .45 shooting some factory 230gr ammo....I felt I didn’t have a reason to want to suppress any of my 45s

alamo5000
17 December 2017, 22:10
I’m a “suppress everything” kind of guy but after hearing a 9mm with 158gr Fiocchi compared to a .45 shooting some factory 230gr ammo....I felt I didn’t have a reason to want to suppress any of my 45s

I am of the same mindset. Now that I am into this stuff I am pretty much going to make it so that each caliber has a backup. I don't want to have a problem and be SOL. Also it would be kind of nice to try and get a can for each gun (within reason). That said I've never shot .45 ACP suppressed but it seems like they don't do very good at suppression.

The only possible exception to that is the Rugged Obsidian .45.

Per Silencer Shop's test it averaged 129.3 DB at the muzzle and 135.7 DB at the ear.

Compared to the Griffin Revolution 45 it averaged 133.6 DB (+4.3 DB) at the muzzle and 137.8 DB (+2.1 DB) at the ear.

Both of those are in the full configuration. As a comparison the Griffin Revolution 9 in the K configuration averaged 128.3 DB at the muzzle. 9mm though barely breaks 130 even at the ear as far as I know. It's probably less than that. Silencer Shop's Resistance 9 (permanent K configuration 9mm can) lists a 130DB at the ear performance average. The full size would be a lot quieter. 9mm is just flat out quieter all around.

In this game it seems like Rugged owns it (for now) but who knows. Getting on average 135-140DB at the ear numbers is still pretty loud. In the best case scenario it would be border line hearing safe.

Jerry R
18 December 2017, 08:18
I have an AAC Ti-Rant 45 suppressor, and when shot "wet" it is almost Hollywood quiet for the first 4 or 5 rounds. But it is large. I bought a second 45 suppressor, a Thompson Machine Poseidon - half the size and weight of the Ti-Rant, but not as quiet. I bought it for one reason only - nightstand pistol. Any firearm shot indoors is brutal on the ears. The Poseidon will mitigate the noise enough to prevent permanent damage (I don't have a lot of ear left [BD] ) and it will encapsulate the flash. Even with a WML on the pistol, a handgun flash could cause you to lose sight of the intended target momentarily - less than ideal.

So, yes ... IMHO it is worth it to suppress a 45 in certain scenarios - fun at the range is not one of those scenarios. I see it as a tool with a specific purpose, and that is the only way I use it. Ti-Rant rarely comes out of the safe any more.

alamo5000
18 December 2017, 08:35
So, yes ... IMHO it is worth it to suppress a 45 in certain scenarios - fun at the range is not one of those scenarios. I see it as a tool with a specific purpose, and that is the only way I use it. Ti-Rant rarely comes out of the safe any more.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on the subject. I do see your point.

For me most of my purposes with NFA stuff are fun on the range type things. That Obsidian can put up some respectable numbers but overall it just seems like a loud caliber.

If manufacturers can continue to push the envelope I am wondering if they can suppress it better. Rugged proved that they can do somewhat better.

As for right here and right now though yes, a .45 can will knock the edge off for sure but there are definite trade offs.

Slippers
18 December 2017, 08:39
Considering 45 is subsonic in almost every factory loading, it suppresses pretty well. Just use a good suppressor, not all the short/small K ones that are so popular right now.

UWone77
18 December 2017, 08:59
Considering 45 is subsonic in almost every factory loading, it suppresses pretty well. Just use a good suppressor, not all the short/small K ones that are so popular right now.

This.

230gr is already subsonic. I use a full size TiRant45 It works very well. You can't use short suppressors on .45's as you get little to no suppression like Slippers says. Much like short 556 cans. Suppress flash, but not sound very well.

alamo5000
18 December 2017, 10:19

My research so far has turned up exactly that same thing. The short cans are popular but not the best for .45 ACP. As far as I am concerned a long configured can is the only real route to go.

This.

230gr is already subsonic. I use a full size TiRant45 It works very well. You can't use short suppressors on .45's as you get little to no suppression like Slippers says. Much like short 556 cans. Suppress flash, but not sound very well.

I am not concerned with flash suppression as much as sound suppression.

I am using Silencer Shop numbers as a baseline for my analysis and most cans (dry) have a good FRP that will go to or exceed 140DB. Average at the muzzle ranges from 129+DB up to 140+ even in their long configurations.

The absolute quietest one (the Rugged) averages 135+ DB at the ear. Most average 138+ at the ear. Some even average over 140DB at the ear even in the long configuration.

The Rugged is an outlier, but at numbers for most .45 cans hover just below the 140 level at the ear.

My question is can you safely shoot a .45 ACP without ear protection? One shot is one thing, but a range day of repeated 138-140 DB blasts, would it be uncomfortable?

alamo5000
18 December 2017, 10:33
Basically at what point does discomfort at the ear start to cause damage or even is uncomfortable in a real world situation? People throw around the 140 DB level number but my understanding is that wasn't established specifically for shooting.

I am turning up at the ear numbers between 135 to 138 on the cans I am interested in. I am not sure in a real world situation if that's actually comfortable without ear protection.

Slippers
18 December 2017, 10:53
You have to take all tests with a grain of salt because each one takes place on a different day, at a different temperature, with different ammo, different placement of testing equipment, so on and so forth. The at-ear measurement is what really matters, and if the data wasn't recorded all at the same range session, then it is pretty much meaningless to say this can or that can is better than another.

gatordev
18 December 2017, 20:21
Basically at what point does discomfort at the ear start to cause damage or even is uncomfortable in a real world situation? People throw around the 140 DB level number but my understanding is that wasn't established specifically for shooting.

I am turning up at the ear numbers between 135 to 138 on the cans I am interested in. I am not sure in a real world situation if that's actually comfortable without ear protection.

I've mentioned this before, but it's not just the number, but also the repeated exposure. I wear double-hearing protection all the time for my job, but when I used to sit behind an engine that spun at 33,000 RPM, I had pretty epic tinnitus. Now, it's not as bad but I still suffer from it, even with two engines farther behind me and a much better fitting helmet and foamies.

Don't plan to expose yourself to suppressed gunfire without protection and think you'll escape damage. It will catch up with you eventuall.

alamo5000
18 December 2017, 21:40
.22 LR (preferably subs), sub 9mm, and probably sub 300 BLK are about the only things I think you can shoot out of a semi auto without muffs on. That port pop is a real thing.

On a bolt action it seems like you could possibly shoot a ton more things without muffs on, say in a target shooting or hunting situation. For example per Silencer Shop a Recce 7 on a Remington 700 .308 is only 130DB at the ear. Again that (as pointed out by Slippers) is just a rough idea but still in the ballpark. How the sonic crack interacts is a whole different ballgame.

I would venture to say that the Hollywood idea that when you buy suppressors you can throw away your ear pro is a bunch of bullshit. It depends a ton on what ammo and the host but the list of what you can shoot without muffs is a lot shorter than what you shoot with muffs on, even with a can.

While I have never shot a .45 suppressed it just seems like a muffs on situation. To Gator's point repeated 138 DB blasts in your ear all day will take it's toll. 140 is a guideline. Again to Gator's point, 140DB x 200 rounds will probably give you a headache even though they say "it's safe".

I bought my first rifle can with the idea in mind that I could shoot more without pissing the neighbors off. I knew going into it that I would still need to wear hearing protection.

Maybe I am wrong but it seems like if I buy a .45 can I might have to take that same approach.

schambers
18 December 2017, 23:38
.22 LR (preferably subs), sub 9mm, and probably sub 300 BLK are about the only things I think you can shoot out of a semi auto without muffs on.

On a bolt action it seems like you could possibly shoot a ton more things without muffs on, say in a target shooting or hunting situation. For example per Silencer Shop a Recce 7 on a Remington 700 .308 is only 130DB at the ear. Again that (as pointed out by Slippers) is just a rough idea but still in the ballpark. How the sonic crack interacts is a whole different ballgame.

I would venture to say that the Hollywood idea that when you buy suppressors you can throw away your ear pro is a bunch of bullshit. It depends a ton on what ammo and the host but the list of what you can shoot without muffs is a lot shorter than what you shoot with muffs on, even with a can.

Totally agree with your assessment of.22, 9mm and 300blk.

I have a 16.75" bolt gun with a RSTA. Shooting 165-ish pills I still use ear pro when directly behind the gun (although I've spent to much time around stuff while not wearing ear pro, so maybe I'm more sensitive to preserving my hearing). If standing 20 or more feet away, ear pro is not really an issue with my setup. Hunting situation is different, but on the range, ear pro is still used.

Also agree with others above regarding suppressing .45 ACP. A quality full size can and heavy pills generally work out pretty well.

One thing I have been curious about for a while now is how something like a 45-70 would sound suppressed.

Former11B
19 December 2017, 03:27
I would be more inclined to get a .45 can if I used a 1911 as a nightstand gun or had a .45 pistol caliber carbine.

alamo5000
19 December 2017, 08:57
I am into the NFA with both feet for sure. Part of the appeal are those whiz bang calibers that are silly quiet. Look Ma!, No ears!

Other parts of it for me is practical use. I can shoot a whole lot more without irritating the neighbors. If you're into things like hog hunting it makes a massive difference too. The list of pros (many of which I didn't include) outweigh the cons.

Specifically with pistols though having a foot long tube hanging off your gun adds a cumbersome aspect to handling that isn't really there in rifles. It's not something you can't get used to or overcome but it's a trade off.

With 9mm I can have the cool quiet factor so that is a huge plus. With .45 though in my situation to introduce a foot long tube and weight onto the gun changes the style of shooting, but it seems like it doesn't eliminate your muffs (which I could be wrong about).

I will have to sleep on it. I am kind of torn. At the end of the day it's a under $1000 bucks. In the grand scheme of things that's not too bad, plus it could double up as a 9mm backup. On the other hand for a caliber specific can it is what it is.

It really makes me wonder if there is some kind of technical barrier when it comes to suppressors that prevents this caliber from being silly quiet.

Joelski
19 December 2017, 13:22
I have an AAC Ti-Rant 45 suppressor, and when shot "wet" it is almost Hollywood quiet for the first 4 or 5 rounds. But it is large. I bought a second 45 suppressor, a Thompson Machine Poseidon - half the size and weight of the Ti-Rant, but not as quiet. I bought it for one reason only - nightstand pistol. Any firearm shot indoors is brutal on the ears. The Poseidon will mitigate the noise enough to prevent permanent damage (I don't have a lot of ear left [BD] ) and it will encapsulate the flash. Even with a WML on the pistol, a handgun flash could cause you to lose sight of the intended target momentarily - less than ideal.

So, yes ... IMHO it is worth it to suppress a 45 in certain scenarios - fun at the range is not one of those scenarios. I see it as a tool with a specific purpose, and that is the only way I use it. Ti-Rant rarely comes out of the safe any more.Jerry, just squeeze your eyes shut before you pull the trigger. All teh opps do that. No big dealio. Now You can has opp too.*

[:D]

*M4d !ngr!$h s|<iLLZ 4 cred wiff dem Alpha Asians.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jerry R
19 December 2017, 15:24
Now You can has opp too.

[:D][:D][:D]

Nevah wuz, nevah wilbe, ain't-a-gonna-try tobe ...

Just gonna sit on the lanai with a little boubon and a good cigar. Countin' on them opps to p'tech me.