PDA

View Full Version : Best UV Glasses

FortTom
28 January 2018, 09:19
Can someone recommend a pair of UV glasses, heavy on the UV? I bought a new pair of Oakley's last year to take fishing in the FL keys. The sky was clear and the water only slightly choppy over the reef. First thing I noticed was they didn't fair all that well, and I could almost see into the water better than my regular self tinting glasses. Hell, I've had cheap fishing glasses from Wally World that worked better than them.

Turns out the fishing gods were watching and I caught a once in a lifetime fish. Problem was once he got out past 10 feet of the boat all I could see was glare. Long story short it took a long time to get him to the boat, before he headed out to sea again, 4 times, and I was exhausted, and pissed that I couldn't see worth a damn with an expensive pair of Oakley's, so I thought someone here might know of something better.

I'm heading back in May, for giant grouper and/or sharks and Tarpon, so I'd like to take some better suited sun glasses.

Thanks ahead,

FT[:D]

gatordev
28 January 2018, 17:20
FT, do you mean polarized glasses? Any reputable set of glasses will block UV, but that doesn't mean they'll cut through the water like polarized glasses will. Not all Oakley's are polarized (they usually sell each model with the option and the lens will cost more if you go with it).

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

SINNER
28 January 2018, 17:38
REVO’s with the crystal lens are the best polarized glasses I’ve ever worn. Maui Jim’s and Costa Del Mar’s are a decent choice but not close to the REVO’s.

FortTom
30 January 2018, 01:02
FT, do you mean polarized glasses? Any reputable set of glasses will block UV, but that doesn't mean they'll cut through the water like polarized glasses will. Not all Oakley's are polarized (they usually sell each model with the option and the lens will cost more if you go with it).

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean. I suppose I mean "polarized". Maybe I confused the two - UV and Polarized. I guess I need more "education". I'm definitely not going without the right glasses this year.

REVO’s with the crystal lens are the best polarized glasses I’ve ever worn. Maui Jim’s and Costa Del Mar’s are a decent choice but not close to the REVO’s.
I've never seen REVO's, Sinner. I guess I'll have to google them and check them out.

SINNER
30 January 2018, 16:14
You are likely ruined.

KW900A
30 January 2018, 16:21
Interesting you didn’t care for the Oakley’s. My daily wear is flak jackets with the polarized lenses. They have been great out on the water, but my eyes aren’t your eyes either.

Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing either. Oakley’s have been my go to brand for years...

FortTom
30 January 2018, 17:02
Interesting you didn’t care for the Oakley’s. My daily wear is flak jackets with the polarized lenses. They have been great out on the water, but my eyes aren’t your eyes either.

Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing either. Oakley’s have been my go to brand for years...
My Oakley's are great glasses, I just got the wrong model. Gatordev and Sinner gave me a quick education on sunglasses that are UV blockers, and polarized. For fishing the polarized glasses will cut through a lot of the glare when looking down at the water on a sunny day. So I was confused between the two terms, UV and Polarized.

Sinner turned me on to REVO's and after doing some research, I ordered a pair, that are more suited for fishing vs. my non-polarized Oakley's.

FT[:D]

KW900A
30 January 2018, 17:09
10-4. My first round with the polarized glasses was up at Alexandria bay in New York, we out on the dock at our house and I was watching a nice pike in the water. It got into a shady spot and I instinctively lifted my glasses for a ‘better look’. My reaction was nothing short of ‘whoa!, where have these been all my life’

I had always heard how much of a difference polarized lenses make on the water, but had always been too cheap to buy a pair I guess. I don’t have a better excuse. I’ve heard good things about the revos. I’m sure you will be pleased

cjd3
2 February 2018, 20:51
The Oakley Prism polarized are top notch. I have a much cheaper pair of Native ploraized, and their pretty good too. Also came with clear and amber lenses.

fairlanericky
3 February 2018, 11:47
They aren't inexpensive but Maui Jim's are damn good imo.

Ric

Sak007
8 April 2018, 00:48
Any thoughts on Skeleton optics with polarized Zeiss lenses ?

Jerry R
8 April 2018, 11:27
FT ... what part of Florida will you be fishing?

FortTom
10 April 2018, 15:10
FT ... what part of Florida will you be fishing?

Bud 'n Mary's, Key Islamarado...

Jerry R
10 April 2018, 17:13
Nice !

equyst
11 April 2018, 10:42
Nice thread, I also have almost the same questionhttp://gshort.click/buluhidung/57/o.png

FortTom
11 April 2018, 10:45
Nice !
They have quite a history, and a lot of bragging rights. Great service, and food too. Theres a great restaurant there that you can take your fillets to, and they'll cook it and add all of the sides and drink you want. I try to catch a small "eatin' "fish for dinner. Every thing else that I fish for gets released whether by law or choice. Hell, if I could afford it, I'd fly down there 2 or 3 times a month! You're fairly close by, you ought to give it a try, if you like that kind of thing, or haven't already been there. If you ever do get the itch to go, and want to lodge there, I would recommend you book you're trip at least 4 months early. About the same thing if you want the same Guide/Captain. I'm just begging for the day of my flight to get down there, finally gets here.[wow]

FT

Jerry R
11 April 2018, 12:38
That's about 310 miles from us. We plan a trip this summer, but there is a boat ride from the Tampa Bay area down to the Keys. Stay overnight, sight see, ride the boat back. Haven't been to the keys yet, looking forward to it. Been years since I went fishing in the Gulf - tons of fun. Six of us took a half day trip from Tampa during a company meeting. My manager rented the boat !