PDA

View Full Version : Glock Slide Milling

Jerry R
3 February 2018, 13:26
Okay ... I priced out a G41 MOS with a new barrel (for lead reloads) suppressor height sights and an RMR [BD]

Decided I can have my G21 slide milled, buy an RMR, and suppressor sights, all for less than the cost of the G41 alone.

One place I found looked pretty interesting. Anyone use Jagerwerks or have any insight into their work? They have great reviews posted, but those are easily controlled.

http://jagerwerks.com/glock-trijicon-rmr/

I know, once it is milled, there is no turning back.

UWone77
3 February 2018, 13:36
I've got 2 G19's with Jagerwerks slides. They do good work. Haven't seen any of their .45 slides though first hand.

fledge
3 February 2018, 13:36
Jagerwerks is good to go. One of the established leaders. I have one slide from them. UW has used them too.

Jerry R
3 February 2018, 14:12
Awesome - thank you Sir(s) !

Uffdaphil
3 February 2018, 20:03
I’m impressed how affordable the milling + a Vortex Venom is at Jagerwerks. Sounds like the perfect addition to my home defense G19. But a couple questions first.

I have a Gen 4 G19 factory threaded barrel w/tall sights. They still are not high enough to clear over a Rev 9 can.Can the red dot be shimmed to mount a tiny bit higher?

Does anyone just leave off the iron sights? They are faily useless with the suppressor and I would zero w/o the can and then so what if it was just on the top edge of the tube? I would have the milling in front of the dovetail in case I changed my mind.

Jerry R
4 February 2018, 08:37
The RDS experts will need to answer your questions Uffdaphil ... I'm in over my head just thinking about this [BD]

I would love to have some input on which RMR to select. I know I want a reasonably sized dot. A six MOA dot would cover about 1.5" at 25 yards (too big?) but a three MOA dot would only cover about 3/4" at 25, and smaller at defensive ranges - 15 yards or less.

For the RDS shooters here, what size dot do you prefer and why?

Uffdaphil
4 February 2018, 09:07
Jerry, I used to have a 3.25 RMR on an AR pistol. But that was intended to cover out to 200 yards. If you are only using your G21 for target shooting I would get that size. For high stress, short range defensive purposes I think the six is far preferable.

Thinking some more about my situation I expect the dot being just under the top level of the suppressor won’t matter for a quick shot at a baddie close up. Just sighting along the top of the can now gives 4” groups close in.

gatordev
4 February 2018, 09:30
Something to keep in mind is that the sights still work even if they're covered by the can. Sure, for bulls-eye shooting it will impact accuracy some, but I'm sure you could still score at least in the 80's on a B8 at 25y. Closer in, it will matter less. Since the irons would be secondaries anyway, I don't really seeing it a huge deal.

The RDS experts will need to answer your questions Uffdaphil ... I'm in over my head just thinking about this [BD]

I would love to have some input on which RMR to select. I know I want a reasonably sized dot. A six MOA dot would cover about 1.5" at 25 yards (too big?) but a three MOA dot would only cover about 3/4" at 25, and smaller at defensive ranges - 15 yards or less.

For the RDS shooters here, what size dot do you prefer and why?

Nowhere near a RDS expert on a hand gun, but the last month and a half I've run 2K rounds between a T-1 2 MOA on my G17 and a RM-06 on my G19. Personally, I like the smaller dot on these optics. I can shoot B8s at 25y without issue but then also run the gun in a more dynamic scenario closer in fairly quickly (I'm still slower on dot acquisition, but that's a training issue). Would a bigger dot work? Yup, but I appreciate the smaller dot for finer accuracy when I need/want it.

Take it for what it's worth...just a guy on the internet.

Jerry R
5 February 2018, 13:13
Okay RDS Gurus ... Trijicon RMR (RM06) with a 3.25 dot or a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro with a 2.5 dot?

Currently the same street price, window size appears the same. Pros / cons / opinions appreciated.

I'm watching Youtube videos comparing them, just need to decide. I like not having to remove the DeltaPoint to replace the battery, but Trijicon claims about a 4 year battery life.

Edit ... apparently (per youtube) the DeltaPoint has a larger window.

Jerry R
8 March 2018, 11:38
Well ... halfway done. Slide is back from JagerWorks.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5043&d=1520537782

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5042&d=1520537772

AaronfromTexas
21 May 2019, 06:40
I'm waiting to see how the ACRO shakes out.
The Jagerwerks cut they teased on Instagram looked slick.

JMJ
3 September 2019, 16:54
Well ... halfway done. Slide is back from JagerWorks.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5043&d=1520537782

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5042&d=1520537772

How did this setup work out for you? I’m thinking about doing the same with the slide for my Gen3 G20.

PJD642
3 September 2019, 20:58
I just had Jagerwerks do my G34 slide for an RMR. Excellent job, including the black nitride refinish. One reason I picked them was that they do the two positioning "nubs" for the RMR as well as the screw holes. There are a lot of places that don't do the front nubs, so your screw mounts are taking all the recoil forces. Granted, it's not a lot but the nubs help with positioning too.

I went with a 5 moa dot on the SRO I'll be using on the G34 for USPSA carry optics. Jagerwerks now has my P320 slide curtting it for an RMR for duty use. That's got a 3.25 moa dot since there's a (very slight) possibility of longer distances.

Ignore the rear sight. I've been using the G34 with irons until the SRO arrives.

BoilerUp
14 January 2024, 08:47
What are your recommendations to add an RMR to a Glock 26 Gen 5?

I had been thinking I'd get a new slide that comes with RMR cut as I have an aversion to making irreversible modifications to factory guns. But I carry this appendix and trust a Glock factory gun so I'm thinking I should keep it stock and just have Jagerworks or Agency mill the slide.

If I have it milled, any reason I couldn't just use Birchwood Casey Super Blue to treat the exposed steel? I like the Glock factory finish so really don't want to re-treat or Cerakote the entire slide.

Any other considerations or recommendations?

gatordev
14 January 2024, 10:34
Personally, I'd retreat it. It's going to live in a warm, moist location in a moist climate. Plus you're going to have two metals making contact (or certainly nearly so).

I'd also look at DP Customs if the other vendors are too backed up.

TheRifleman
14 January 2024, 11:56
I bought a Zev slide for my non MOS 17, because I have my own aversion of sending off and never to be seen again for several months or even just one month really.

However if I were to to now send off, I wouldn't be out of a gun because I still have it functional but the only cut I'd be interested in is the MOS cut so I wouldn't be held hostage to just one mounting pattern either.

I may actually do the above, and then sell my Zev slide RMR cut afterwards. Hmmmm....

UWone77
15 January 2024, 10:02
I'd just get a Gen 5 MOS.

Getting an optic cut is going to cost you what? Almost $200? That's basically 40% of the way to a new Glock.

I like Jagerwerks and ATEi for slide work. I'm sure there are a plethora of others who will do excellent work as well. Those are just the two I have experience with.

Jerry R
16 January 2024, 05:29
I've only used Jagerwerks. I was very pleased with the milling.

BoilerUp
19 January 2024, 09:21
I'd just get a Gen 5 MOS.

Getting an optic cut is going to cost you what? Almost $200? That's basically 40% of the way to a new Glock.

I like Jagerwerks and ATEi for slide work. I'm sure there are a plethora of others who will do excellent work as well. Those are just the two I have experience with.

I'm leaning that way for the 17, but there is no such thing as G26 MOS

Jerry R
20 January 2024, 06:27
I'm leaning that way for the 17, but there is no such thing as G26 MOS

I looked around and found this ...........

https://eu.glock.com/en/products/pistols/g26-gen5-mos

https://www.glockstore.com/Glock-26-Gen5-MOS-9mm?quantity=1&custcol9=93

BoilerUp
20 January 2024, 08:45
Interesting, Jerry, thanks. Made me poke around a bit more. Apparently they've been available in Europe for a while. Glock doesn't have them on their US website but it looks like a distributor might have brought some in. Not many of them out there so they seem to be going for over $600.

TheRifleman
20 January 2024, 21:38
So a G28 thing maybe where some snuck in legally then?

I want to see a G25. Owning one would make the internet's operators mad. Perfect!