PDA

View Full Version : Equipment ID

103m 95g
29 March 2009, 06:01
In the Magpul Dynamics AOTTC videos, what Magazine holder(s) is Costa wearing. Looks to be a "Kydex" type paddle holster style mag holder.
I'v searched around the net and can not seem to find it.
TIA

rob_s
29 March 2009, 06:04
I think I saw on LF that he's using a Blade Tech in the video, but there are pictures from a recent shoot where he may be using a Raven Concealment pouch.

103m 95g
29 March 2009, 06:13
A three minute response, Thanks Rob_s

Googled both and found what I was looking for, thanks

Army Chief
29 March 2009, 07:24
I've found this to be an interesting phenomenon. Once the DVD course came out, it was impossible -- regardless of experience level -- to watch what was being done at the Costa/Haley level and not feel a compulsion to emulate it. I too wondered about some of this gear: after all, observation is also a form of learning, right?

Now, most of us have long since learned that gear is only one component to success in this equation (and it is one that is worthless if your basic skills aren't developed), but I can't even count how many "what was Chris/Travis wearing in that sequence?" posts I've seen scattered across the web this year.

Not that these are bad or invalid questions, because they simply aren't. They happen to be great questions. On the other hand, I do think it is important to keep in mind the criticality of competence over kit. We do that here, so I can appreciate the mindset behind this particular question.

Sadly, it isn't this way everywhere. You can be certain that there will be a lot of guys on the firing lines this Spring in full "Costa clone mode" -- a great many of whom will be doing well just to get the muzzle end of their blasters pointed downrange.

AC

trinydex
29 March 2009, 21:12
i was in another thread on another forum and the same question was asked.

the answer is bae systems eclipse gear m-4 speed reload pouch

http://www.eclipsegearonline.com/Default.aspx?tabid=55&ProductId=58

rob_s
30 March 2009, 03:07
AC, I saw a thread somewhere recently asking what boots they were wearing. Boots.

I like Travis and Chris both very much. I've trained with them, and I like where they're headed with their approach. I'm hoping to get some more class time with them this year.

but I have to admit I find this rockstar phenomena more than a little bizarre.

103m 95g
30 March 2009, 06:00
Agreed AC, I was just asking, not to emulate, but to investigate if that particular product would work for my intended application. after speaking with one of my SWAT buddies last night (at the donut shop of course) it might not be a solution for me.

Army Chief
30 March 2009, 06:17
Didn't for a second think otherwise, brother. My only interest here was in the larger teaching point for those who may be new to our community.

Within the context and framework of this site, I actually think some of those are questions well worth asking.

AC

5thprofession47
30 March 2009, 06:58
The Magpul Dynamics guys are now outfitted with a lot of clothing made by TAD Gear. Patrick Ma, the owner of TAD Gear posted some pics and made mention of the new collaboration on another forum.

rob_s
30 March 2009, 07:23
One caution I would throw out there...

Guys in Travis's and Chris's positions are going to have a TON of companies inundating them with new gear to try, all gratis. This is the natural order of things and there is nothing wrong with it. Some companies will have honorable intentions of wanting to get good feedback on their gear, and some will be looking for that free photo op for marketing purposes (and some will be looking for both). I believe that the OP here had good intentions in that he just happened to see something in a flash that he thought might work for him. It could have been Chris, or it could have been some yoyo at the local range, his question was based on the item not the person wearing it.

I would caution folks others maybe aren't as familiar with the industry against taking a picture out of context from a class as being an endorsement by the wearer/user of said product.

I'm nowhere near in the league (in terms of celebrity, ability, or stroke) as the Magpul guys and I've had people ask me at matches about something I'm trying and seen their somewhat surprised expressions when I say "it's shit, the guy sent it to me for free and I'll never touch it again after I mail it back to him tomorrow".

103m 95g
30 April 2009, 12:52
To bring you guys up to speed. I was issued a Patrol Rifle by my department, and completed a 3 day PR course. The Rifle is a Colt 6933 w/two 20rnd magazines. The reason for the equipment I.D. was to evaluate if it would apply to "my" intended application, so far it has. my application was liked by other deputies in the class and the instructors advised it would probably work for the Patrol Deputy.

The product chosen was the Blade-Tech M16/AR-15 magazine holder w/Tec lok attachment. the Tec-lok is identical to the locking system found on the Taser holster we use. I have the mag holder installed on the weak side of my duty rig in a position that I can still reach the magazine with my strong hand if necessary. Pic shows a 20rnd Pmag installed
order of gear, Taser, Radio, MEB, Blade-Tech holder, Gerber multi-tool, extra PX4 mag in a maxpedition holder.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/DSCN0221.jpg

Longbaugh1911
11 June 2009, 01:05
The Magpul Dynamics guys are now outfitted with a lot of clothing made by TAD Gear. Patrick Ma, the owner of TAD Gear posted some pics and made mention of the new collaboration on another forum.

wow! i'm a big TAD Gear nut! do you have a link for some photos or do have photos yourself?

tac40
11 June 2009, 19:05
Costa said he uses Raven holsters

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html
holster

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products/magazine-carriers.html
mag pouch

http://www.themalabarfront.com/ where to buy

Costa's 300 somebody posted at the LF website-very fun

ryanm
12 June 2009, 06:06
wow! i'm a big TAD Gear nut! do you have a link for some photos or do have photos yourself?

+1 for TAD gear. Their stuff is very high quality and works well.