PDA

View Full Version : Larue SUURG and ATF legality?

Former11B
23 February 2018, 18:09
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-suurg-kit/

They have the baffle stack acting as a giant brake welded to the barrel to get away with only one stamp for the suppressor, and not two as an SBR + suppressor.

Sig tried this a year ago and the ATF shot them down. What’s the difference?

BoilerUp
23 February 2018, 18:15
If I'm reading it right, they are selling this an NFA item for the suppressor such that you skip the SBR stamp. Sig was trying to skip both the SBR and the Suppressor stamps by not shrouding the pinned "muzzle device"

fledge
23 February 2018, 18:15
I must be missing something. The barrel is welded to the suppressor. They say it’s a suppressor. They say it requires a stamp.

Sig tried to pass it as a brake and not a suppressor. Therefore no stamp. And they failed.

What am I missing?

SINNER
23 February 2018, 19:50
For one, the LaRue it’s not the baffle stack on the barrel, it is the brake welded on the barrel to get the 16” length.

And Sig tried to sell a naked baffle stack as a brake. Big differences.

UWone77
23 February 2018, 20:46
I must be missing something. The barrel is welded to the suppressor. They say it’s a suppressor. They say it requires a stamp.

Sig tried to pass it as a brake and not a suppressor. Therefore no stamp. And they failed.

What am I missing?

That's exactly how I read it.

SINNER
23 February 2018, 21:13
So neither of you can read? Lol

fledge
23 February 2018, 21:27
I watched the video too.

I think we’re all saying the same thing. Where did Former11B run off to?

Former11B
24 February 2018, 04:32
Sig was saying you could get it as a one stamp if you wanted the suppressor; who would buy this without the can? It’s EXACTLY the same: a one stamp gun with a welded baffle stack eliminating the SBR stamp. Sig was never trying to get around a suppressor stamp. This is EXACTLY what Larue is doing that the ATF said no to Sig on: a welded baffle stack to a short barrel with a removable tube for maintenance.

http://i.imgur.com/YC2tIue.jpg

If I'm reading it right, they are selling this an NFA item for the suppressor such that you skip the SBR stamp. Sig was trying to skip both the SBR and the Suppressor stamps by not shrouding the pinned "muzzle device"

If bought without the tube. But who would do that? Larue’s would Be legal if bought without the tube, not that they would sell it that way.

For one, the LaRue it’s not the baffle stack on the barrel, it is the brake welded on the barrel to get the 16” length.

And Sig tried to sell a naked baffle stack as a brake. Big differences.

It’s the guts of the suppressor no matter how you label it

SINNER
24 February 2018, 04:35
It’s not the same. The LaRue is using a 4.5” BRAKE to obtain the 16” barrel length. Sig used a baffle stack. BIG difference.

Former11B
24 February 2018, 04:39
Larue welded “not a brake”

It’s all just suppressor guts in a different configuration. It’s the same concept. This is ATF fuckery

SINNER
24 February 2018, 04:42
Nope. That’s considered a brake. The baffles are inside the LaRue can that they will be selling with the BRAKE as a complete suppressor also.

SINNER
24 February 2018, 04:45
“The barrel length is 11.5" long on all calibers, the LaRue SURG brake is 'pin and welded' onto the barrel so it's fits the "over 16 inch" barrel regulation (keeping you from having to pay a Short Barrel Tax). The SUURG kit comes with one LaRue SURG suppressor ... which has the same Class 3 transfer stuff any suppressor is subject to.“

Sig wanted to sell a serialized empty tube as a “suppressor” and the ATF correctly laughed them out of the hearing.

Former11B
24 February 2018, 04:51
Ehhh....this is along the same track as calling this a pistol:

http://i.imgur.com/gVF0MxX.jpg

Just navigating the retarded bureaucratic mess that is the ATF/NFA.

The big difference here is Larue has MILITARY CONTRACTS and the government has a reason to OK their design; not in Sig’s case...this didn’t benefit Sam in some way

voodoo_man
24 February 2018, 04:54
Who gives a shit what larue does anyway?

SINNER
24 February 2018, 04:54
This is quite clear to me. It’s been decided long ago the difference between a brake and a baffle stack although they are functionally very similar in the world of fluid dynamics. If you slide a tube over the LaRue design it’s still going to be full volume, while a flashlight tube,over the Sig design results in a suppressed weapon.

Former11B
24 February 2018, 04:57
This is quite clear to me. It’s been decided long ago the difference between a brake and a baffle stack although they are functionally very similar in the world of fluid dynamics. If you slide a tube over the LaRue design it’s still going to be full volume, while a flashlight tube,over the Sig design results in a suppressed weapon.

Thats part of the problem. All of this “deciding” what’s best for us, IE the NFA...is crap. That’s really where my frustration in all of this lies

I don’t care about the brand; I would’ve posed the question regardless of who made it

SINNER
24 February 2018, 04:57

Regardless of the high school bathroom politics in the gun world, and subsequent stupidity as reasons not to purchase from someone, LaRue makes some really good components. Their barrels are still some of the best shooting I’ve owned.

Former11B
24 February 2018, 04:58
I watched the video too.

I think we’re all saying the same thing. Where did Former11B run off to?

For the record, I went to bed. I’m on the east coast and have a 5am rising 3 year old. Where did YOU run off to [BD]

voodoo_man
24 February 2018, 17:23
Regardless of the high school bathroom politics in the gun world, and subsequent stupidity as reasons not to purchase from someone, LaRue makes some really good components. Their barrels are still some of the best shooting I’ve owned.

Bathroom politics? Lolll

I won't support team Wendy, because they hate 2A.

I won't buy larue ever again, not only because the owner is a complete and utter POS, but because the company does shady business practices. I've had them fail to return two completely unused mounts because of bullshit reasons. I won't support anyone who is a total POS regardless of people perceive his stuff or how "good" it is.

Anyway, enough thread pissing, I've said my piece.