PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 spc and 6.5 grendel mags

KW900A
3 March 2018, 04:55
I’ve been snatching up mag deals here lately when I find them. Got a pretty good pile and more on the way. I know in the future I’ll build a 6.8 or 6.5, so I’ve been looking at mags just to have them. No love from magpul, and there are a number of other no name (to me) making them and if you read on other forums, ‘who makes the best mag’ turns into a discussion similar to a ‘what scope...’ question.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience or input on mags that have worked for them. Not planning to buy a ton, but 5 or 6 each. Thanks.

Former11B
3 March 2018, 06:04
Magpul has said a long time ago they can’t produce PMags to acceptable tolerances for the AR15 in 6.8 because they’d be too thin

They work for the LWRCI 6.8 because of the oversized magwell I believe.

SINNER
3 March 2018, 06:16
Barrett and PRI make the most reliable 6.8 mags I’ve ever used. Not a fan of the Grendel at all. They had to gut the round just to overcome known pressure issues and a endless stream of broken bolts and barrel extensions. Looks like the .224 Valkyrie will quickly kill what’s left of that abortion.

SINNER
3 March 2018, 06:17
Magpul has said a long time ago they can’t produce PMags to acceptable tolerances for the AR15 in 6.8 because they’d be too thin

They work for the LWRCI 6.8 because of the oversized magwell I believe.

I sure wish someone would sell stripped lowers to fit the Six8 Magpul’s.

fledge
3 March 2018, 06:20
I sure wish someone would sell stripped lowers to fit the Six8 Magpul’s.

No kidding. LWRC seeks stripped sets now and again at an ungodly price.

KW900A
3 March 2018, 06:22
I was all set for a grendel build and the Valkyrie started pulling me away from that idea. I can’t legally take deer with a .224 so that’s a drawback for me. Still leaning to a 6.8 however for that reason. If it wasn’t for Virginia’s caliber laws it’d be a no brainer.

BoilerUp
3 March 2018, 07:27
The Barrett 6.8 mags have been flawless for me. And they are the only 6.8 mag that has been that way. PRI has a great design but my believe is the QC isn't great so can occasionally get mags with issues. On my PRI 10-rounder, the follower will snag on the waffle pattern when it is down to two rounds such that the nose of the feeding round is too low which will cause a FTF. I.e., the 9th shot will almost always have a FTF but only the 9th round. I believe this occurs on that particular mag because the welds are just slightly out of square, meaning it was a production issue not a design issue which also helps explain why complaints of PRI mags are sporadic. I sold all my ASC mags after routine FTF issues, although I see many people out there running them with no complaints.

Here are some tips on "tweaking" the feed lips of 6.8 mags (that aren't Barrett or PRI): http://68forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111&d=1248964678

Grendel? Never heard of her. [BD]

SINNER
3 March 2018, 07:28
No kidding. LWRC seeks stripped sets now and again at an ungodly price.

I wouldn’t take a LWRC lower for free. shit company selling shit products. Local to me and run by scumbags. Funny how they carved out an exemption for Maryland sales of their rifles when their people were on the advisory board. All their barrels are considered “heavy” barrels and allow for sales in Maryland. Not even getting into the fact I had one of their pistols for 3 years and they had it for 2 trying to get it to function. Jammed first magazine through it after it was finally returned. One of the only weapons I’ve ever sold and at a loss.

BoilerUp
3 March 2018, 07:30
I was all set for a grendel build and the Valkyrie started pulling me away from that idea. I can’t legally take deer with a .224 so that’s a drawback for me. Still leaning to a 6.8 however for that reason. If it wasn’t for Virginia’s caliber laws it’d be a no brainer.

The 6.8 is a fantastic white tail round, IMO, even with factory ammo which doesn't realize the full potential of the round given Remington's failure with the SAMI spec. If you reload you can push it harder.

SINNER
3 March 2018, 07:31

The 6.8 works very well for whitetails out to 300 yards. Beyond that shot placement is critical.

SINNER
3 March 2018, 07:35
And with a 5 round limit any 20 round metal mag has worked for me. The trouble is getting near the capacity of the mag and the case taper.

KW900A
3 March 2018, 10:38
The 6.8 works very well for whitetails out to 300 yards. Beyond that shot placement is critical.

That’d be fine. Most of my hunting is in the mountains inside of 200 yards. Likely with a 16” barrel for maneuverability in the woods. Considered the 18”, but in the conditions it would see use for me, the trade off is negligible.

Jerry R
3 March 2018, 12:30
I have mostly Barrett magazines, but do have a few C Products. On a couple of the C Product mags, I had to trim some flash off the follower to keep them from dragging. Barretts have been flawless.

fledge
3 March 2018, 12:38
If you reload, consider the PRI modified version for longer length. Cavity Back Bullets has them in stock currently.

SINNER
3 March 2018, 17:41
One of my favorite 6.8’s. The 16” barreled one I have gives up ALOT to this 20”. Almost 300 FPS on the crono.

KW900A
3 March 2018, 18:01
That’s a sweet setup. I wouldn’t have expected that much gain in FPS from what I’ve read about the 6.8. What does it weigh in at? Those PRS stocks are heavy.

SINNER
3 March 2018, 18:07
It’s heavy. Not sure on actual weight. I’d guess 12+

That’s the Viper 2.5-10x32 FFP. It’s a surprisingly good optic for the price they sold for when discontinued. They were around 400 when discontinued. I can’t think of any glass under 6-700 that can touch it. Not really big on Vortex personally.

KW900A
3 March 2018, 18:21
It looks heavy. I do a lot of walking the ridges and creekbeds so that’d be a lot to lug around, but I do enjoy hunting/shooting from a rest as well. If I liked a 16” I could always build one for that purpose also.

I guessed wrong haha. I zoomed in a read more on it and saw I was way off. It has the same profile as the diamondback i have. Just put a 6-24 Viper FFP on my 308 bolt gun. Overall I’ve been pretty happy with vortex.

SINNER
4 March 2018, 07:34
No issues with the optical performance with the ones I had. IIRC 5 of 7 required warranty work. One twice. Razor’s and Viper’s, not the lower lines either. Pretty much lost all confidence in their optics.

KW900A
4 March 2018, 16:28
Hmm. Well I guess time will tell for me. What sort of issue did you have? Nothing I have gets run very hard, but my intent is to always buy quality whenever possible.

Former11B
5 March 2018, 08:03
It’s heavy. Not sure on actual weight. I’d guess 12+

That’s the Viper 2.5-10x32 FFP. It’s a surprisingly good optic for the price they sold for when discontinued. They were around 400 when discontinued. I can’t think of any glass under 6-700 that can touch it. Not really big on Vortex personally.

I have one also and I really like it. Can’t get a similar (but nicer) optic unless you make the jump to the also discontinued NF 2.5-10x32

The new PSTII 2.5-10’s are bulky, heavy and aren’t at all what I want in a low to mid power.

GriffonSec
5 March 2018, 18:46
Second C-Prod. Have 20, couple thousand rounds through, never a hiccup. None of mine had to have the followers cleaned up like my old man's.