PDA

View Full Version : For those interested in 224 Valkyrie...

Former11B
6 March 2018, 14:18
I figured the 1:7 twist was going to be pushing it with the heavier bullets, and this confirms it. I really had my eyes set on the Rainier Arms ultra match barrel in 224 Valkyrie, but it is a 1:7.5 twist, so I don’t think anything above 77 or 80gr would shoot very well. I wonder if they have plans to make it faster twist?

“Dear JP customer,
If you are receiving this email, it means your current order for one of our JP Supermatch™ barrels in .224 Valkyrie is eligible for fulfilment in our first production run. But, because of the unforeseen complications of developing barrels for a brand new caliber like this, we wanted to contact you before completing your order.

After final testing of these barrels, we have discovered that accuracy specific to 90gr. Sierra Match King and the 90gr. Fusion hunting ammo is only mediocre. These results are not up to the JP standard, and as such, we cannot honor our accuracy guarantee with this 90gr. ammunition.

However, the Federal varmint load using the 60gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip and our personal test loads using 77gr. Sierra Tipped Match Kings shot well from these barrels. With the 77gr. Tipped Match Kings, we achieved maximum velocities in the 3000 ft/s range. This compromise of utilizing lighter projectiles with much higher MV and slightly lower BC may actually result in higher hit probabilities within the effective range of the cartridge. This is particularly the case with unknown distance targets.

At this point, we want to offer you the choice of confirming your order and receiving one of these first JP .224 Valkyrie barrels. Alternately, you may opt to wait for our next run of barrels with further design changes to improve the performance of the 90gr. bullets. The choice comes down to your choice of application and ammo.

Please respond to this email with your preference.

If you choose to wait, your order will still be fulfilled in the order it was received as soon as the new barrels arrive and are tested. If you choose to wait, we expect to ship your order sometime in May.

Sincerely,

JP Customer service team"

fledge
6 March 2018, 14:30
ARP has been talking about this since the release. He’s making a 6.5 twist later this year.

I read Federal was aware of this issue st SHOT but everyone ran with the current 1:7 data. The market will adjust. Buyer beware.

alamo5000
6 March 2018, 14:55
A reason not to early adopt. Let them get the bugs out first. That said this sends a loud and clear message about the company...to send a message like that is a good sign. I look forward to opportunities to do business with them in the future if possible.

UWone77
6 March 2018, 16:11
Sounds like we need to get you a Rainier UltraMatch .224 instead. [:D]

Former11B
6 March 2018, 16:32
Sounds like we need to get you a Rainier UltraMatch .224 instead. [:D]

I’ll test 69-90gr in the 1:7.5 and see what happens, that’s a promise

Former11B
7 March 2018, 14:12
Rainier CS emailed me and Stated that during testing, they achieved consistent sub minute of angle performance out to 800 yards with the 1:7.5 twist.

I’d love to test the claim cough cough cough UWone [:D]

fledge
7 March 2018, 14:23
77gr, yeah, but was it with 90gr smk? Please test that claim. It’ll put some speculation to rest.

Former11B
7 March 2018, 16:01
77gr, yeah, but was it with 90gr smk? Please test that claim. It’ll put some speculation to rest.

I would LOVE to test it. Full text:

Hi Adam,

We don't have any plans to change the twist rate as during testing our 1:7.5 twist got us 4" groups at 800 yards using 90gr. We've had great luck with that barrel, so we don't plan on making any changes for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,

Former11B
7 March 2018, 16:17
Just got a second email:

“We will be bringing in a faster twist rate down the road in all likelihood (especially for our 14.5 and 16” carbine barrels that we’ll be releasing), but the only issues we’ve seen with the 7.5” twist on the 90gr projecticles was that the first batch of ammo we got from Federal for testing had *very* inconsistent muzzle velocities. Subsequent batches of ammo have performed to the same level we expect of all of our Ultramatch barrels.

Currently the delay in getting those barrels out is actually a supply issue with faster twist rate blanks from our supplier.“

The thing about 224V is....the attainable velocity over 223 is where it shines. This is a cartridge I don’t understand in 14.5-16”. 18” is the bare minimum I’d want, if not 22-24”.

alamo5000
7 March 2018, 16:43
I am with you. It makes zero sense to have a shorter barrel on that caliber. The whole point is to use high BC bullets and be able to reach out to a grand or better. That said I wonder the velocity drop off from 22" to 16" and see what that gets you.

fledge
7 March 2018, 17:48
Former11B, thanks for the full text.

I hope to have a 20” barrel by year end after I figure out this reloading sciency stuff.

Former11B
8 March 2018, 12:12
Former11B, thanks for the full text.

I hope to have a 20” barrel by year end after I figure out this reloading sciency stuff.

If you need any help just holler. I’ve been punching small holes in targets for a while with my loads

UWone....I’m game if RA is on a test

BC98
8 March 2018, 19:16
I am with you. It makes zero sense to have a shorter barrel on that caliber. The whole point is to use high BC bullets and be able to reach out to a grand or better. That said I wonder the velocity drop off from 22" to 16" and see what that gets you.

People said the same thing about 6.5 Grendel too. Now you have 12" SBR's being pretty common. I will be building 20" gun for distance but am planning out a 12.5" to 13.5" gun to run as a dedicated suppressed gun for coyotes and such.

Former11B
9 March 2018, 08:40
People said the same thing about 6.5 Grendel too. Now you have 12" SBR's being pretty common. I will be building 20" gun for distance but am planning out a 12.5" to 13.5" gun to run as a dedicated suppressed gun for coyotes and such.

300BLK with 8” barrel and supers seems a hell of a lot easier

BC98
12 March 2018, 21:40
300BLK with 8” barrel and supers seems a hell of a lot easier

Easier how? Some testing I've read so far shows only about 30 fps per inch loss of velocity for the factory 60gr load. Assuming that stays linear below 16" length, a 13.5" barrel should put that load somewhere around 2900fps. Plenty for my use.

Former11B
13 March 2018, 05:13
If you’re already into 223, then you’ve got Mags, bolts, brass.....to name a few. Literally nothing special to buy except a barrel.

If you’re like me and in .308 also and have a good stock of bullets already, it’s even simpler.

6.5 Grendel, to me personally, answered a question that other calibers already did. I don’t want to get into a caliber that has so little in common with everything else. The only saving grace for me and 224V is bullet selection, primers and powder.

If 300BLK supersonic isn’t enough (for me), then there’s always .308. I just don’t have justification for an oddball intermediate round. That’s why I said 300BLK sounds easier

mustangfreek
2 April 2018, 03:35
Easier how? Some testing I've read so far shows only about 30 fps per inch loss of velocity for the factory 60gr load. Assuming that stays linear below 16" length, a 13.5" barrel should put that load somewhere around 2900fps. Plenty for my use.

I don’t see it either the grendel is much more useable in my opinion. Cheaper to shoot, and lots more when you hand load

Much better ballistics beyond the short range of the BO.

Sure the bolt is thinner yards yada but hardly hear of many problems, and given the number out there... Plus a different mag..which really isn’t a big deal for what your getting out of it.

Former11B
17 April 2018, 15:52
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/forms/224-valkyrie1.pdf?trk_msg=2C9KO12MRKLK5AMAQ99P8BCINC&trk_contact=NIMJKL4STP0UB1ORJDT1M3MEDO&trk_sid=BUNSITG8ACP80GR6DQK327I7OK&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Sierra+Provided+Us+Load+Data+for+the+224+ Valkyrie&utm_campaign=NEW+224+Valkyrie+Federal+Brass!

Load data for 224V