PDA

View Full Version : School me on 45 ACP AR Platforms

Jerry R
28 March 2018, 09:42
I have "The Itch" again ... this time looking at a 45ACP AR. Probably a 7.5" barrel.
Build or buy?
Receiver manufacturers you have used - pros / cons? If you have used a 9mm set instead, that info is useful also.
What works best?
Things to avoid?
Must haves?
Lower compatible with Glock 45ACP magazines.
Shims required for suppressor use?

I don't know what I don't know, so tell me what I am missing.

I did a search (weak kung-fu) so if there is a thread I missed, pop a link please. Main thread I found had posts by UW building a 9mm with New Frontier receiver(s).

PJD642
28 March 2018, 10:32
Funny you posted this, I was just looking yesterday & couldn't find a thread either. I just ordered a Faxon 10" .45 barrel and aluminum Streamline handguards, with the eventual aim of adding a suppressor & having it pinned/welded and using it with my Cav Arms/Sabre Defense poly lower. I'm conflicted as to whether I should stick with the Hahn buffer & grease gun mag well insert I've got already, or swap the insert for a Glock model. (Side note, I wish magpul made .45 glock mags).

My concerns are which bolt/BCG will work best with my setup. There's a decent number of them out there to choose from, and all the reviews say each one is the best so that's no help. Back when (2006?) there was a guy on tacticalunderground.us who worked for Cav Arms, had a suppressed .45 upper on one of their lowers and was more than happy to discuss it. I wish he was still around, or I could find someone who has experience with these things nowadays.

Macon Armory apparently makes a DI upper. Everything else is blowback.

There's a couple threads on ar15.com, but I haven't had a day off to look at them all yet and see if there's anything worthwhile.

ETA: I'm gonna have to go with a glock magwell insert. Silly me forgot the need for an ejector, which is built in to the Oly upper. Trying to use greasegun mags without the Oly upper won't work...sigh.

alamo5000
28 March 2018, 10:51
Not exactly the same thing, but something like this turns me on. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCXKz1QHbog

UWone77
28 March 2018, 11:07
I think it's telling the Noveske SHOT Show gun wasn't even functional, no trigger, cobbled together with UMP mags and Honey Badger Stock. You'd think they'd have something more put together for SHOT. Interesting concept, but I'm wondering if it even runs.

I'm still holding out hope for the LWRC version.

Jerry, I find that 45 ACP options are limited in the AR platform. Most are geared around the 9mm. Colt carriers will work on Glock mags, but not vise versa. I like the Quarter Circle 10 stuff, high quality, and lots of different options, Colt Mags, MP5 Mags, ect. Not just limited to Glock mags. I think receivers built around Glock Mags also look corny. Obviously just aesthetics.

More thoughts later.

UWone77
28 March 2018, 11:18
QC10 9mm Colt Mag version.

If I had to do it again, I'd dump the XProducts ROC Stock.

Jerry R
28 March 2018, 13:00
UW, with the PDW stock ... is that a pistol or SBR ? I want to stick with pistol, at least for now.

I have an email in to New Frontier. They offer a compete 8" 45ACP upper, with your choice of a 7" MLOK or KeyMod rail, for $400 (currently OOS) and a complete Glock compatible lower, with a KAK blade kit, for $445 (currently in stock). $850 built is a relatively cheap intro into a pistol caliber AR. Thoughts ........... ??

UWone77
28 March 2018, 13:03
UW, with the PDW stock ... is that a pistol or SBR ?

I think you answered your own question.

I'd look at KAW Valley Stuff as well. They make barrels, handguards, BCGs, and comps for 9mm platforms. All very affordable.

gatordev
28 March 2018, 13:21
Step 1: Build time machine.

Step 2: Travel back to 2012-2013 when dealers were fire-selling H&K USCs.

Step 3: Put USC away in a safe deposit box

Step 4: Put money away over the following several years and travel back to modern times.

Step 5: Pull USC out of the bank, send off to have it converted to a UMP with money you saved.

I think this is a solid plan with only some minor logistical issues.

I got to shoot an actual UMP at a PatMac class that a LEO next to me had. When he saw I wasn't a Crye-Commando, he handed me the gun and a couple of stick mags and said go have fun (having agency-paid ammo helped with that). Kind of fun, kind of MP5-ish. I didn't even flick the switch. Shooting 45ACP was fun enough with the red dot in semi-auto.

FortTom
28 March 2018, 13:42

Step 4: Put money away over the following several years and travel back to modern times.

Step 5: Pull USC out of the bank, send off to have it converted to a UMP with money you saved.

I got to shoot an actual UMP at a PatMac class that a LEO next to me had. When he saw I wasn't a Crye-Commando, he handed me the gun and a couple of stick mags and said go have fun (having agency-paid ammo helped with that). Kind of fun, kind of MP5-ish. I didn't even flick the switch. Shooting 45ACP was fun enough with the red dot in semi-auto. What logistical problem(s). Just take my DeLorean. Problem solved.

FT[:D]

UWone77
28 March 2018, 14:00

I got to shoot an actual UMP at a PatMac class that a LEO next to me had. When he saw I wasn't a Crye-Commando, he handed me the gun and a couple of stick mags and said go have fun (having agency-paid ammo helped with that). Kind of fun, kind of MP5-ish. I didn't even flick the switch. Shooting 45ACP was fun enough with the red dot in semi-auto.

Heh.

I totally recall this, and didn't think about it much. Same with SL8's, I kept thinking man these things are so ugly, they'll never move.

gatordev
28 March 2018, 14:22
Heh.

I totally recall this, and didn't think about it much. Same with SL8's, I kept thinking man these things are so ugly, they'll never move.

At the time this was happening, I was still living in CA, so they were moving even more slowly, since they weren't an AR. I was also cutting myself off from buying anything major like another complete firearm. Overall, a good plan, but I do wish I had grabbed one of these at the time for what they were going for.

Jerry R
28 March 2018, 14:42

Great plan, but step one costs a little more than the build [BD]

FortTom
28 March 2018, 15:25
Great plan, but step one costs a little more than the build [BD]

Again, Marty McFly, take the DeLorean. Man, you guys make these things so complicated.

FT

FortTom
28 March 2018, 17:30
Seriously, if you start this project, start taking and posting pics from start to finish. I'd bet there's quite of few people here that would like to see this, myself included. I'd love to have one myself. I've thought it through, but didn't know if there were parts available to do an AR pistol in .45 ACP. That would move you to the very top of the "cool" kid heap, right away.

Joelski
28 March 2018, 18:18

Step 2: Travel back to 1983-84 when dealers were fire-selling H&K sear packs for $200. Buy them all.

Step 3: return to whatever post-ban period you like.

Step 4: Enjoy being stupid rich.

Fixed that for ya. [;)]

FortTom
28 March 2018, 19:59
Fixed that for ya. [;)]
^^^^[:D]^^^^

UWone77
28 March 2018, 20:35
Jerry, the nice thing is, in this day and age, you don't have to limit yourself to AR platform 9 or 45 guns.

UWone77
28 March 2018, 20:36
The KRISS is also a fun gun in .45

BoilerUp
28 March 2018, 21:00
I say get a Thompson

gatordev
29 March 2018, 12:13
Fixed that for ya. [;)]

One plan does not preclude the other. What you describe would be stage 1. Stage 2 would be the UMP plan. Although I'd say go to 1985 so you can buy some Commandos.

FortTom
29 March 2018, 13:14
I say get a Thompson BU, I was thinking this from the beginning, but Jerry R. said he wanted an AR platform .45, so I didn't mention it. I'd love to have a Thompson! However, with an AR, comes all of the cool and useful AR "stuff". Sights, triggers, controls, etc..etc.., to optimize it to one's own tastes and needs.

BoilerUp
29 March 2018, 14:13
BU, I was thinking this from the beginning, but Jerry R. said he wanted an AR platform .45, so I didn't mention it. I'd love to have a Thompson! However, with an AR, comes all of the cool and useful AR "stuff". Sights, triggers, controls, etc..etc.., to optimize it to one's own tastes and needs.

I say get both!

UWone77
14 May 2018, 17:22
So Jerry, did this project go anywhere?

Jerry R
16 May 2018, 08:04
So Jerry, did this project go anywhere?

I am on the wait list at New Frontier Armory. The lower units are in stock, but no upper assemblies are currently available. I have pretty much settled on that company ... unless I die before they come back into stock. [BD]
I'm going to give them a little more time, and if nothing happens, I will look elsewhere.

RockNRoll Mullet
1 August 2018, 21:48
http://karrisguns.com/ar45.aspx

Stinger KG45 Glock Magazine 45 ACP 8.3" Billet Pistol

Jerry R
2 August 2018, 06:10
http://karrisguns.com/ar45.aspx

Stinger KG45 Glock Magazine 45 ACP 8.3" Billet Pistol

Thanks. Checked them, they are OOS on uppers as well. Seems 45ACP barrels are nowhere to be found.

Airborne_EWO
2 August 2018, 07:32
Brownells has a few Faxon and BSF barrels in stock. If thats all thats needed.

PJD642
2 August 2018, 07:53
Seems 45ACP barrels are nowhere to be found.

I purchased a 10" Faxon a while ago that I ended up not using. Pics if you're interested...

Jerry R
2 August 2018, 07:56
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Looking specifically at 8" for this one. May jump on the Faxon 8.5 at Brownells ...

Jerry R
6 August 2018, 11:16
Sometimes patience pays off. While checking parts availability, I found that New Frontier had received barrels that day! Order placed last Thursday, arrived today. Shown as delivered except for the magazine, no mags ship with it.

I will begin a detailed "Product Review" with range report(s) in the appropriate forum.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5687&d=1533579186

Joelski
6 August 2018, 15:31
I am on the wait list at New Frontier Armory. The lower units are in stock, but no upper assemblies are currently available. I have pretty much settled on that company ... unless I die before they come back into stock. [BD]
I'm going to give them a little more time, and if nothing happens, I will look elsewhere.

Good call. My SBR lower is a New Frontier and I like it. You don't hear much about them, good or bad. It was my first encounter with a punch-less lower; using threaded pins and cap screws in place of roll pins. I think they're great, but others like pins. Also, they're pretty reasonable for billet and their stuff seems to restock fairly frequently. Depending on where in the cycle you got on the list, you should hear back within two months.

Edit: Well, there ya go! Hope it works out great!

UWone77
7 August 2018, 14:16
Looks good! You need to get some KRISS Glock 21 extensions

Jerry R
7 August 2018, 15:08
Looks good! You need to get some KRISS Glock 21 extensions

Thanks.

I found two different manufacturers of 25 round mags that are affordable, both Korean mfg and probably from the same plant, just different names. I ordered three of each to try out. I also ordered three Wolfe extra power 33 round 9mm magazine springs that are supposed to fix any "issues" the magazines may have with feeding. Going to try and get to GriffonSec's next week for extensive testing.

BoilerUp
4 February 2024, 16:14
Necroposting...

My QC10 .45 pistol build is finally done. Receivers, barrel and bolt are from Quarter Circle 10. BCM MCMR handguard, Kaw Valley liner comp. Holosun 510.

It is a fun little blaster!

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Kj9mQv7/1/c80e9923/XL/i-Kj9mQv7-XL.jpg

Stone
6 February 2024, 02:42
How do you like the KVLC? It was in the running when I researched linear comps for my 12.5" build but decided on the BRT comp since I already had one on my 10.5" build. Granted, they are on a 556 rifle but they shoot super flat and follow up shots when running drills is super fast, Im impressed. Since I am not running anything suppressed yet its definetely the next best thing...

BoilerUp
10 February 2024, 07:32
How do you like the KVLC? It was in the running when I researched linear comps for my 12.5" build but decided on the BRT comp since I already had one on my 10.5" build. Granted, they are on a 556 rifle but they shoot super flat and follow up shots when running drills is super fast, Im impressed. Since I am not running anything suppressed yet its definetely the next best thing...

I like it. I had used a KVLC on a 300 BLK pistol build before getting my tax stamp. For the .45, I probably should have gone with the Magnum instead of the XL Slim as this is a bit longer than it really needs to be but I liked the idea of having it out past the end of the handguard a bit further for safety reasons. While this is really capable little package that's performing very well, for me it's primary role is "range toy". I don't have a .45 suppressor and getting one isn't high on my priority list, so I'll probably leave this as-is for quite while.

I will say, all the QC10 components came together well and this has been reliable in the first few hundred rounds. Most of the QC10 components were picked up at significant discount either direct through QC10 (blem lower) or through Dvor (before they stopped shipping to WA).

https://cdn-hfadf.nitrocdn.com/wiOVyDgszbrETCvkIjFKvurgmaeTLhgi/assets/images/optimized/rev-5eb64bd/kawvalleyprecision.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/KVP-MAG-225-12T.jpg