PDA

View Full Version : Is cutting a FSB a sin?

cjd3
30 March 2018, 23:22
It’s my first rifle that began my journey into this platform. It’s a Stag with a 1/7 barrel with a FSB. So I’m looking to cut the FSB (I don’t think I can remove the taper pins anymore, as they were well pressed, and I may have deformed them trying to remove them) and put my free float hand guard on. Or pull the barrel assembly and put a new on?

If I go with a new barrel, any recommendations? Presently I’m favoring a Faxon barrel if I go this route.

Help me butcher or not butcher my rifle.

Joelski
31 March 2018, 03:10
Just use a dremel and very carefully cut it down to size, or off. Colt does it, so it's not a sin on anything that doesn't have collector appeal. Go find a pic of a Colt OEM 2 upper to copy from, and take your time.

UWone77
31 March 2018, 05:56
If you cut down the FSB, because you can't take it off, how are you going to install your barrel nut? Or does it just slap onto the barrel on already on there?

Nothing wrong with FSB shaving. The FSB is basically the strongest gas block out there, and it can be done easily.

cjd3
31 March 2018, 10:18
If you cut down the FSB, because you can't take it off, how are you going to install your barrel nut? Or does it just slap onto the barrel on already on there?

Nothing wrong with FSB shaving. The FSB is basically the strongest gas block out there, and it can be done easily.

And the question is answered. I just swapped handguards on another rifle recently, and of course removed everything too.

PJD642
31 March 2018, 11:41
Faxon barrel are fantastic, if you go that route.

Jerry R
31 March 2018, 15:16
For what it's worth ... cut the Delta ring and springs, buy a Midwest free float rail that mounts over the existing barrel nut. I installed one that extends past the FSB, but others available.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mctar-20xg2-blk.htm

Former11B
31 March 2018, 20:46
I’ve done it before. Just mark it off and go to town.

I took Birchwood Casey gun black and touched it up.

rxer311
1 April 2018, 03:08
I’ve done it before. Just mark it off and go to town.

I took Birchwood Casey gun black and touched it up.

I am always surprised how good this product works. Its great!