PDA

View Full Version : AK 47 Questions--- Opinions wanted.

alamo5000
1 April 2018, 22:30
I am hoping you guys can either answer some or all of my questions or give me some ideas. About 10 years ago I bought a relatively cheap AK that I don't shoot much at all. I got the whole thing, with after market trigger, furniture, about 15 metal mags, about 10 polymer ones (all work fine), and a case and a half of ammo with it (long since shot up) for like $700 bucks. Gun case and a bunch of other stuff included. That was my very first foray into that kind of rifle and honestly I still don't know shit about them except it's extremely reliable and fairly accurate. The only mod I did to it was put a back ghost ring on it.

With cheap ammo I can shoot about a grapefruit size group with this gun (maybe a bit bigger) at 100 yards. I took the time to figure out how to account for the FSP can't so now I have my aiming points marked with a white paint pen on the back of my ghost ring.

I also have 3 or 4 cases of unopened ammo for it too.

My AK has the following markings on it. It was my very first rifle of this type. Online there are several reports that this is a lesser desirable AK variant (bottom tier) but it was my first gun so I didn't know.

Left side: GP WASR 10/63

Caliber 7.62 x 39

Right side: Made by CN ROMARM SA/CUGIR in ROMANIA

Imported by CAI Georgia UT.

It has a lot of after market furniture on it including a trigger. I have owned this for quite a long time, but to be honest I don't shoot it as much as I should.

I found the following quote online about my rifle:

"GP WASR-10/63
The 10/63 designation was added by Century Arms International for marketing purposes only. Just as with all other WASR-10 rifles, these are newly manufactured with military rejected parts for the civilian market (with exceptions, see below).
A WASR-10/63 with an under-folding stock was introduced into the product line in 2007 and was still made using military rejected parts.
As of 2008 there are GP WASR-10/63 rifles in both solid and underfolding stocks that are being made from real de-milled military used rifles, including de-milled "G-code" Civil Guard guns (the "G" is ground off), but still using the dimple-less Century receivers. The military grade rifles are immediately identified by the triangle (empty or with an arrow) stamping in front of the serial number on the front trunion. (The underfolders should TECHNICALLY be GP WASR-10/65 because the 63 was the standard stock version and the 65 was the underfolder with the military rifles). "

Questions

1. On a scale of 1 to 10 how would my AK rank in terms of quality? Like I said some online comments range from 'reliable AF' to 'bottom tier'.

2. I tend to shoot a lot of AR's and pistols and now own multiple NFA items. I am considering upgrading my AK or possibly suppressing it. This idea of suppressing this particular AK has me scared a little bit.

Here is my reasoning for that (in brief) the FSP is slightly canted, I am not sure about the muzzle threads (leading to bad alignment), and I am not 100% sure of quality ammunition.

From time to time it seems like I get a round (maybe 1 round out of a case of cheap ammo) or many times none at all, that may have stability issues of the bullet.

I am not sure if that is because the bullet itself is out of balance, or if the muzzle threads are not aligned properly (and hence possible slight amount of bullet contact with the muzzle brake). I just recall that maybe one round of of every few thousand rounds will 'BZZZZ!' and not make contact with the target. the other 99.9% of the time the gun can shoot about at grapefruit size target at 100 yards with cheap ammo. I just checked and the muzzle device itself has a bit of wobble to it so I am fairly certain this is the main culprit causing my fear but I don't know. It only takes one round to kill a suppressor.

Since I have no way to ensure concentric threading and I am not very experienced with AK's I am scared to put my new $1000 dollar suppressor on there.

If I want to upgrade to a better variant of AK that doesn't have a canted FSP and all that stuff, what would be some suggestions? Or would it be best to just handle each model and make sure it doesn't have those problems on a case by case basis? There are so many AK's I have no idea what I should get, if anything.

If I just have to keep on shooting my AK loud that's fine. But if I can upgrade it that would be good too. It was my very first rifle of that type so I wasn't really sure when I bought it 10 years ago. If I can upgrade I would definitely consider doing so.

If I got screwed on the price of the gun, if it's of any consequence the day Obama got elected a friend of mine and I went and loaded up on AK ammo. I think we were buying cases for like $189 bucks (plus tax) or something like that.

All in all I am considering selling the gun, mags, ammo, etc. I have almost $1000 bucks in ammo right there because I think those unopened cases go for over $300 now.

If I could get $1500 or $1600 or more out of the deal that's a really good down payment on an AR10 or a nice bolt gun that I can suppress and will actually shoot more often. I pretty much got out of the habit of shooting the gun around the time people were hoarding and ammo prices were sky high. Because of that I sat on a few cases as my SHTF stash. Sort of like those people who kept a bunch of .22LR around when prices were so high. I did the same thing with this.

In the mean time I got two ARs and a few other goodies but AR's have grown on me a lot more than the AK has.

Interested to hear opinions.

mustangfreek
2 April 2018, 02:53
Lol...holy crap you overthink stuff more then me.. Lol

A wasr is well a cheap AK..something better....Arsenal

Why worry about the fsp if selling?

The gun market is pure crap right now..see if you can get what you want out of it...most likely not gonna happen...or part out the package...or sell it for a loss if you really don’t want it..

Seems like an easy deal to me..

Former11B
2 April 2018, 05:38
You need to have someone check the threads, and not just anyone: someone who can verify bore concentricity and even then I’d be worried about the ammo quality like you mentioned. If I was going to suppress an AK, I’d probably go with a Dead Air Wolverine PBS1

Mustang is right, the market for sellers is crap. I can’t imagine the hassle of selling that as a package with all the “what’s your best cash price?” and requests to split it up. If you didn’t have a desire to build something else I’d say hang on to it. A friend of mine asked me to help her sell an SKS package with 15 mags and 1200rds of ammo and it’s been a nightmare

If you want a rifle with much better suppressability and similar ballistics, ditch the AK and build a 300BLK. Although, I have Handloaded some pretty sweet .308 subs in my bolt gun to run through my can.

It’s hard not to say:

-Keep the AK for hard times later and don’t worry about suppressing it
-Build a 300BLK pistol (SBR it later if you want) for suppression
-Build an AR10 just because, and suppress it too

[BD]

alamo5000
2 April 2018, 06:25
Lol...holy crap you overthink stuff more then me.. Lol

A wasr is well a cheap AK..something better....Arsenal

Why worry about the fsp if selling?

The gun market is pure crap right now..see if you can get what you want out of it...most likely not gonna happen...or part out the package...or sell it for a loss if you really don’t want it..

Seems like an easy deal to me..

WHAT? ME? Overthink? No way! HAHAA![BD]

Seriously though my main problem is I know next to nothing about all the varations of AKs or what they are worth. I also have more than one option. Keep it. Upgrade to something better. Sell.

I am inclined to follow Slipper's advice from another thread--sell the stuff you don't shoot etc etc. Outside of shotguns and hunting rifles this was my first rifle of that type. I had no idea then what I was getting and still don't know much about AKs.

AR's on the other hand I feel like I learned a ton more. Once I started into AR's the AK just sits in the closet.

You need to have someone check the threads, and not just anyone: someone who can verify bore concentricity and even then I’d be worried about the ammo quality like you mentioned. If I was going to suppress an AK, I’d probably go with a Dead Air Wolverine PBS1

Mustang is right, the market for sellers is crap. I can’t imagine the hassle of selling that as a package with all the “what’s your best cash price?” and requests to split it up. If you didn’t have a desire to build something else I’d say hang on to it. A friend of mine asked me to help her sell an SKS package with 15 mags and 1200rds of ammo and it’s been a nightmare

If you want a rifle with much better suppressability and similar ballistics, ditch the AK and build a 300BLK. Although, I have Handloaded some pretty sweet .308 subs in my bolt gun to run through my can.

It’s hard not to say:

-Keep the AK for hard times later and don’t worry about suppressing it
-Build a 300BLK pistol (SBR it later if you want) for suppression
-Build an AR10 just because, and suppress it too

[BD]

There is no rule that says I have sell the AK. Same with suppressing it. I can just keep it as is and move on with life.

I can always try to save and just move on with it. A good bolt action gun will be able to be hand loaded and it will probably be shot 10x more than the AK, and it can be suppressed. Same thing with 300 BLK.

I haven't sold a gun in a really REALLY long time but I just kind of figured if I can unload that AK, ammo, mags, etc, it will give me a head start onto other things.

Sak007
2 April 2018, 10:16
1. Wasr's are are around a 4-5 but that is better then most production AK's under $1k and miles better then a IO or Century Ra47 or PSA or most of the junk sold these days .
2. As long as your threads are concentric I see no issues suppressing especially with the new KNS adjustable piston . If you already own cans just get a thread adapter and throw a brake on . If you don't have a gunsmith to check threads buy a Geissele suppressor alignment gauge for $75 or I'll send you mine to use .
3. Don't worry about canted sight , if it was done at the factory it is zeroed to the cant and trying to straighten it will un zero it .
3. Try some good ammo [BD] If that doesn't tighten up the group and you don't wanna invest $ in it consider it combat effective and put in the safe .
4. If you decide to sell and wan't to replace for a new Ak the only sub $1k one's I would get Would be Lee Armory or Dead Goose Society .
5. I have a subsonic load that cycles in my 11in Akm and can work up one for a 16 if your interested .

schambers
3 April 2018, 06:58
It sounds like you aren't really excited by the AK platform and putting a suppressor on one probably won't make you change your mind. Also, suppressed AK's are not very pleasant to shoot (in my opinion).

If you are set on keeping the AK and suppressing it, I echo what some have said above and suggest sending it to someone who knows how to check for proper alignment of the threads, bore, etc.

I'm like you, in that I prefer AR's and precision rifles to AKs, but I keep one around so I can maintain some proficiency with the manual of arms.

What I would do in your position: Send the AK to Rifle Dynamics or a reputable smith that specializes in the platform. Have them go through and update the gas block, sights, bolt if needed, etc, align everything and make sure the rivets and welds and pins are working as intended and thread the barrel for something that will allow the installation of a muzzle device that's compatible with one of my cans. It won't be cheap but it would probably be cheaper than buying an entirely new system and at the end of the day you will have an AK that you will have more confidence in.

alamo5000
3 April 2018, 09:03
I like shooting just about anything that goes bang. Don't get me wrong about that. Part of the thing is I simply got out of the habit of shooting the gun. When ammo was sky high I went kind of stingy on it. That said up until now I very much prefer the AR platform.

I am not really just totally hell bent on suppressing the gun. I am pretty sure I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on that gun either. I think part of the thing that I experience from time to time is actually the result of the muzzle device being loose. I can grab the muzzle brake on there and it will wobble. I would pretty much bet money that every now and then I get a round kissing the brake on exit.

If I can sell it for a reasonable amount I probably would do so. That would probably be my first choice. If that's not reasonable or a big PITA then I have no problem keeping the gun.

The thought process behind selling it would be to get a jump start on something I would shoot more, willing to set up a reloading setup for, stock up on bullets, powder, etc etc.

Pyzik
4 April 2018, 07:39
On a scale of 1-10 I would put your rifle at a 5. Newer WASRs are a 6-7. They’ve improved a little.

Before striking a baffle…. Put the suppressor on and use a dowel. There are videos online. That will either give you a little confidence in shooting it or tell you not to. Plenty of people suppress WASRs successfully.
I will say, shooting an AK suppressed sucks. Gas is dumped right in your face thanks to how the top cover is held in place by the recoil spring and guide. Plus, you’re not getting hearing safe levels. It’s still quite loud. If you're cool with it being loud, you have a "good enough" AK. Better than any American made AK selling for $800 plus right now. Just keep it and shoot it.

You’re definitely not screwed in the price you paid. Someone said the gun market isn’t great right now, that’s true in some sense but AKs are holding value and rising right now. Sell it as is or take any extra crap off and return it to wood and sell it. Hang on to the mags and ammo if you’re buying another AK. You’ll likely be breaking even once you sell just the rifle.

Stay away from US made AKs. SOME US made parts builds are good. If you’re wanting a factory rifle and not a parts build, go Arsenal, VEPR, Saiga (if you can find one). The SAM 7 is a great rifle.

If you’re wanting out of the AK, I still recommend selling it and all accessories and ammo separate. I don’t think you’ll have a hard time selling any of it right now and you’ll be coming out ahead.

SINNER
4 April 2018, 09:15
Shelve it until the next panic. $400 AK’s will once again sell for 2k if you have patience. Then buy a Arsenal, Poly or a Valmet. Romanian rifles are really the bottom of the stack as far as AK’s go but it will be hard to tell the difference with any of them once shouldered.

UWone77
4 April 2018, 09:16
Other than making sure the threads are concentric to the bore on AK's especially... don't AK's need ported gas tubes to shoot suppressed as well?

SINNER
4 April 2018, 09:20
They don’t “need” it but it certainly makes them much more enjoyable to shoot suppressed. Honestly the best running suppressed AK I’ve shot was a AK74 running a .30 cal can. Seemed like the perfect balance between back pressure and sound suppression.

alamo5000
4 April 2018, 13:01
On a scale of 1-10 I would put your rifle at a 5. Newer WASRs are a 6-7. They’ve improved a little.

Before striking a baffle…. Put the suppressor on and use a dowel. There are videos online. That will either give you a little confidence in shooting it or tell you not to. Plenty of people suppress WASRs successfully.
I will say, shooting an AK suppressed sucks. Gas is dumped right in your face thanks to how the top cover is held in place by the recoil spring and guide. Plus, you’re not getting hearing safe levels. It’s still quite loud. If you're cool with it being loud, you have a "good enough" AK. Better than any American made AK selling for $800 plus right now. Just keep it and shoot it.

You’re definitely not screwed in the price you paid. Someone said the gun market isn’t great right now, that’s true in some sense but AKs are holding value and rising right now. Sell it as is or take any extra crap off and return it to wood and sell it. Hang on to the mags and ammo if you’re buying another AK. You’ll likely be breaking even once you sell just the rifle.

Stay away from US made AKs. SOME US made parts builds are good. If you’re wanting a factory rifle and not a parts build, go Arsenal, VEPR, Saiga (if you can find one). The SAM 7 is a great rifle.

If you’re wanting out of the AK, I still recommend selling it and all accessories and ammo separate. I don’t think you’ll have a hard time selling any of it right now and you’ll be coming out ahead.

Thank you! That is a lot of really great information. I've owned an AK for twice or more longer than an AR but I feel like I know 10x more about ARs. Like I said, I am not hell bent one way or another to really do anything. Buying a new AK is lower on my priority list, suppressing the one I have would be a novelty to try out but not a requirement. I definitely don't want to risk messing up my new can because of something stupid.

Really in the end I am kind of indifferent (sort of). I am sure once I break it out and start blasting away I will enjoy it just as much. I guess it's kind of in my nature to be detail oriented and nerd out on stuff like super long range shooting, sniping, shooting small groups, precision, suppression, reloading etc. AKs seem more like a ghetto blaster. Buy ammo, load it, and blast. [BD]

I am sure if I ever shot with other people it would get shot more. If I throw a party and I was passing out guns for people to shoot the hell out of I honestly wouldn't care if they shot that thing until the barrel glowed. As long as they are paying for ammo that's fine. That AK could very well be one hell of a pig slayer for where I am at (heavily wooded-short shots). At 100 yards you could smack down some pigs with that thing.

I definitely don't think I would invest a whole ton of money into an AK though. By it's very nature it seems more like a blaster not a precision tool.

One thing I could consider is maybe mounting a cheap(er) red dot on it. I could just zero the dot and run it loud. At that point none of the rest of the stuff would be an issue at all. FSP canted? SO WHAT. Un suppressed is also not a big deal. I just need to accept it for what it is and quit trying to nerd out on it.

Shelve it until the next panic. $400 AK’s will once again sell for 2k if you have patience. Then buy a Arsenal, Poly or a Valmet. Romanian rifles are really the bottom of the stack as far as AK’s go but it will be hard to tell the difference with any of them once shouldered.

I know this much, when you pull the trigger it goes bang. If it doesn't it's the ammo! LOL!

Other than making sure the threads are concentric to the bore on AK's especially... don't AK's need ported gas tubes to shoot suppressed as well?

Did not know this. That's interesting to note. That and other comments about AK's pretty much sucking as suppressor hosts. Given of course there could be exceptions for those that get a hard on for AKs.

I really do love learning pretty much about all guns-- even an AK [:D]

They don’t “need” it but it certainly makes them much more enjoyable to shoot suppressed. Honestly the best running suppressed AK I’ve shot was a AK74 running a .30 cal can. Seemed like the perfect balance between back pressure and sound suppression.

If I ever win the lotto and money becomes overflowing I might buy a fully pimped high dollar AK with all the bells on it--just because at that point I would own at least two or three of everything, would hire grumpy old men to reload for me, and have sexy women hanging out on my yacht. That is very interesting stuff to note though about the porting.

I guess AKs are just about like anything else. If you get around other people who are really into it sometimes that excitement wears off on other people.

Left to my own devices I nerd out too much. Give me 100 rounds and a 2,000 yard range and I could be out there all day---doing math. [crazy] LOL!

gatordev
4 April 2018, 13:02

I was thinking the same thing. And it's not like another panic isn't coming. If not 2019, then probably in 2020 or 21.

Sak007
4 April 2018, 13:07
My sbr Akm shoots softer then my 300blk ar's and at least to my ears is almost as quite with subs . I will see if I can find a video of it .

alamo5000
4 April 2018, 13:16
I was thinking the same thing. And it's not like another panic isn't coming. If not 2019, then probably in 2020 or 21.

I hope not but there is always that possibility. Unfortunately.

Sak007
4 April 2018, 14:50
I hope not but there is always that possibility. Unfortunately.

I'm betting people in Oregon and a few other states are freaking out , I know I can barely get any bulk budget ar's from my distributors . It's nice to have Jones Arms right down the rode building great rifles though.