PDA

View Full Version : Heating lok-tite

Aragorn
21 May 2018, 14:08
I need to take out some anti-walk trigger pins. They're the screw type, installed by JP with blue lok-tite. I have the right size wrenches, but the screw heads are eager to strip. I was told I may need to heat the pins to get the lok-tite to break loose. Question is how do I do that? I have a small butane torch but I'm concerned that it may be overkill and either damage the anodizing on the lower or make the screw even more likely to strip.

fledge
21 May 2018, 14:13
The drama of your trigger experience never ends!

I’d try a hair dryer first.

Aragorn
21 May 2018, 14:18
I'm saying right! Just trying to change the safety, this one has excessive play, but I need to be able to take out the trigger to do so.

Hair drier.... duh....[bash]

SINNER
21 May 2018, 14:47
Hit the screw head with the torch for 5-10 seconds and it will come right apart.

MoxyDave
21 May 2018, 15:31
The hair dryer probably won't get hot enough to melt the loctite. If you had a heat gun, that would do it.

I would probably try the torch, like Sinner said.

alamo5000
21 May 2018, 15:36
Use a soldering iron. Don't hold it forever just get it hot enough.

Joelski
21 May 2018, 16:01
Soldering iron.

Aragorn
21 May 2018, 16:10
Well, hair drier didn't work. I tried that first and stripped the screw. It's at the gunsmith now -.-

SINNER
21 May 2018, 16:13
Nothing is better than a butane torch for what he’s doing.

Hair dryer isn’t nearly hot enough. Heat guns and soldering irons will actually transfer more heat to other components than the torch.

Quick pinpoint heat is what you want. Larger screws I usually have the wrench in the screw applying pressure before I begin the heating process but if the anti-walk pins are the simple type with screws on each side it’s tough to apply the heat and pressure at the same time.

Former11B
21 May 2018, 16:39
In the absence of a torch, I put my oven on self clean and wait til it hits 500, then stick whatever in there. Loosened up a bunch of brakes that way

Joelski
21 May 2018, 18:06
Never had a problem delivering pinpoint heat with a soldering iron, it's pretty much the only thing it does. I wasn't really taking a POS 30 watt stick into account though.

fledge
21 May 2018, 18:11
Well, hair drier didn't work. I tried that first and stripped the screw. It's at the gunsmith now -.-

Sorry to hear that.

I usually work my way up with heat. Hair drying. Heat gun. Torch. Depends on what’s around it. Sounds like the screw heads are weak too.