PDA

View Full Version : Radical Arms 10.5" MLOK Upper

UWone77
8 July 2018, 09:11
I haven't done a lot of reviews in the last 3-4 years, simply because of time. However, I've decided to do a long term one with the Radical Firearms Upper. This will be ongoing, so I'll periodically post updates

Background: About 8-9 months ago a friend of mine commented on Facebook how bad Radical Firearms were, at least the ones that he had worked on. In the thread, someone from Radical chimed up and there was some discussion about the brand quality. I also commented that 2 of my friends who were new to AR's had purchased Radical uppers, and both had broken bolts after shooting less than 500 rounds. The rep from Radical was frankly a dick to me in his responses.

Anyhow, instead of running my gums about it, I decided to just get my own to see how a long and well a $399 upper shoots.

For the sake of full disclosure, I purchased this upper from Primary Arms (http://www.primaryarms.com/CFU10-5-5-56M4-9FCR). http://www.primaryarms.com/CFU10-5-5-56M4-9FCR

I don't know anyone personally at Primary Arms, or Radical Firearms. I did not receive a discount on this upper. I paid $299.99 plus $12 or so for shipping, which is the going rate for upper (at least it is as of 7/8/18, not sure if it's everyday or because of July 4th sales)

Specs:

10.5" 41V50 chrome moly vanadium steel M4 contour barrel with Melonite finish
Chambered in 5.56 NATO with a 1:7 twist rate
M16 cut bolt carrier group with Melonite finish
BCG high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected
Standard charging handle
1/2x28 A2 flash hider
10" Radical Firearms M-LOK FCR rail
Made in the U.S.A. in Stafford, Texas!

Fedex tracking says my upper should arrive 7/11. When I get it, I'll take some preliminary pictures, and then probably put it on a registered Rainier Arms Forged SBR Lower.

Testing:

Will function check
Some accuracy testing, depending on ammo availability
Minimum 4-5k rounds.

Other tests as needed or suggested. May also shoot it suppressed, but mainly going to shoot it as is with a red-dot.

Stay tuned.

Joelski
8 July 2018, 11:01
Sounds like fun. There should be good info for both sides of the "Mine's as good as yours" arguments.

ChattanoogaPhil
9 July 2018, 07:32
Background: About 8-9 months ago a friend of mine commented on Facebook how bad Radical Firearms were, at least the ones that he had worked on. In the thread, someone from Radical chimed up and there was some discussion about the brand quality. I also commented that 2 of my friends who were new to AR's had purchased Radical uppers, and both had broken bolts after shooting less than 500 rounds. The rep from Radical was frankly a dick to me in his responses.

That's consistent with what I have read elsewhere.

-----

Primary & Secondary was founded with the purpose of providing current and accurate information to people that need it. Based on our mission this write up is necessary to provide the following information in regards to a company that requested a review be conducted by our staff and the interaction afterwards.

On January 05, 2016, I received an Email from the Marketing Department of Radical Firearms to see if Primary & Secondary would be willing to conduct a review of one of their rifles. The representative of Radical included in the email: “We ask only for candid and unbiased feedback from you.”

A few months later a member of the Primary & Secondary Staff set up a test which included a rifle received from them directly. He was doing this review entirely for Primary & Secondary and not his primary employer.

Our Staff member noticed some issues and contacted Radical to report them. He provided some insight to the issues within one of the P&S discussion groups on Facebook. The issues were in regards to manufacturing and quality assurance / quality control.

Radical contacted the P&S Staff member and explained they didn’t feel the weapon being reviewed was up to their quality. Radical requested that the rifle be returned to the factory and our reviewer would receive a replacement rifle. They explained the difference between the rifle he received and the one he should have for review is that the new rifle would be assembled with slightly higher quality parts and is subsequently inspected by a certified gunsmith from butt stock to flash hider and everything in between for any assembly mishaps, etc.

I was notified today the Sales Manager for Radical Firearms visited our Staff member’s primary place of employment to complain about the review which P&S was conducting.

After he was called into the office of his boss, our staff member will no longer conduct the review. He decided he would stop. He will no longer have anything to do with Radical Firearms.

“Candid and unbiased” reviews extend not only to the product but the entire experience. I have presented everything that has been presented to me.

MBL

https://primaryandsecondary.com/candid-and-unbiased/

Stone
9 July 2018, 18:42
Just a heads up... [pop]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfCUjjA2F4U

gatordev
10 July 2018, 04:34
<steps on soapbox>

When the internet demonstrates or complains about gas ring wear, can the internet at least do the gas ring test correctly? For the children!

</soapbox>

FortTom
10 July 2018, 05:21
<steps on soapbox>

When the internet demonstrates or complains about gas ring wear, can the internet at least do the gas ring test correctly? For the children!

</soapbox>

For all that's Holy, man, please do it. It's for the children!![wow]

mustangfreek
11 July 2018, 01:52
In for results..

alamo5000
11 July 2018, 04:52
This is why I love WEVO.

These companies can put up or shut up.

And if they are dicks about things, that makes it even worse.

UWone77
19 July 2018, 04:04
Only change so far, I swapped the GI charging handle for an Avalanche Mod 2. The original Avalanche was crap, so I'm going to see if the newer version is any better at the same time.

Joelski
19 July 2018, 16:01
It was just the BCG. Put another one in and keep shooting. If it doesn't explode, how the hell else can it fail? Raplaceable parts are just that. Clean the sand from the vag and drive on!

UWone77
13 August 2018, 19:23

This is the current configuration.

Took it to the range today for 150 rounds. Lots of issues so far. Couldn't make it through an entire magazine without a malfunction. Round would fail to extract, so when the next round loaded, it caused a secondary malfunction. Tried 3 different magazines to narrow down the issue, but kept doing this with all the magazines I had at the time.

Managed to get it zero'ed and that's pretty much it for the day.

UWone77
15 August 2018, 04:05

SINNER
15 August 2018, 07:53
That’s a nice one there.

Slippers
16 August 2018, 20:09
Is this the same Radical? If so....wow....

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/08/17/radical-firearms-to-supply-police-and-security-forces-in-brazil/

alamo5000
16 August 2018, 20:14
Is this the same Radical? If so....wow....

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/08/17/radical-firearms-to-supply-police-and-security-forces-in-brazil/

Lowest bidder? [BD]

UWone77
27 September 2018, 20:18
Used 3 additional mags, same problems. Won't extract. Will try another non-Radical BCG next time. So far this upper has been a bust. You get what you pay for.

Stone
27 September 2018, 20:26
When you get the fired round out of the chamber does it have extractor marks?

mustangfreek
28 September 2018, 01:22
When you get the fired round out of the chamber does it have extractor marks?

I was curious as well

Uw - before you swap bcgs , maybe swap the extractor spring and/ or insert or o-ring

I’ve swapped in a few bcm extractor springs/ Black inserts in some finicky rifles and it seemed to fix it

Stone
28 September 2018, 11:47
I was curious as well

Uw - before you swap bcgs , maybe swap the extractor spring and/ or insert or o-ring

I’ve swapped in a few bcm extractor springs/ Black inserts in some finicky rifles and it seemed to fix it

Exactly!

UWone77
13 May 2019, 19:59
So after I had initial issues with this project, I took it out twice more since the last update. I know it's been awhile, but I've been zero'ing a lot of other guns, so it's taken a back seat.

I've shot another 320 rounds through the upper and the last 260 rounds have been trouble free. I'm going to attribute this to a break in period for this upper. I haven't done anything to trouble shoot it as far as swapping BCG's, extractor springs, ect. I took it apart after my initial troubles and thoroughly cleaned and lubed everything. I then reassembled and still had some sporadic issues.

I again cleaned and lubed everything and the last 8 mags or so have been trouble free. I'll take it out a few more times to see if the upper continues to function correctly. The only variable I changed was I used 2 fresh out of the wrapper Magpul MOE PMags.

Jerry R
2 June 2019, 06:20
Screen shot of a Flash sale taken just a moment ago ... Does not include a BCG ...

UW, what say you?

UWone77
2 June 2019, 06:28
For $159, I say go for it Jerry, as you're knowledgeable enough with the platform to trouble shoot. If you were a new shooter, I'd say no.

MoxyDave
2 June 2019, 10:52
Wow that price! I need an extra upper like I need an extra head, but damn!

BoilerUp
2 June 2019, 12:00
I'd just get the barrel for $90 https://www.primaryarms.com/radical-firearms-223-wylde-barrel-rifle-length-heavy-profile-18 That way you're not stuck with someone else's choices for handguard and MD

UWone77
2 June 2019, 12:45
I'd just get the barrel for $90 https://www.primaryarms.com/radical-firearms-223-wylde-barrel-rifle-length-heavy-profile-18 That way you're not stuck with someone else's choices for handguard and MD

On a side note, anyone local to Rainier, I just noticed in the storefront they have used take off Rainier Mountain barrels for $50.

BoilerUp
2 June 2019, 13:00
On a side note, anyone local to Rainier, I just noticed in the storefront they have used take off Rainier Mountain barrels for $50.

On the discount table? Nuts, I'm leaving town tomorrow. Think they'd accept a call-in order for one?

UWone77
2 June 2019, 13:01
On the discount table? Nuts, I'm leaving town tomorrow. Think they'd accept a call-in order for one?

No idea, but probably worth a 5 min call to find out!

BoilerUp
27 July 2019, 17:57

Was at RA today to take care of a Form 4 and they still had a few of these so I picked one up. They all had definitely seen some use but for $50 I went ahead an grabbed one. They weren't marked but I figured they were maybe 14.5" barrels, but it turns out they are actually closer to 13.5" barrels. I don't believe they ever sold them that way, so I'm guessing they were local PD contract guns.

UWone77
28 July 2019, 06:03
Was at RA today to take care of a Form 4 and they still had a few of these so I picked one up. They all had definitely seen some use but for $50 I went ahead an grabbed one. They weren't marked but I figured they were maybe 14.5" barrels, but it turns out they are actually closer to 13.5" barrels. I don't believe they ever sold them that way, so I'm guessing they were local PD contract guns.

Correct, these were Renton PD guns they took apart. The barrels were cut down to 13.5" to make them work with a certain handguard and an OSS suppressor.

BoilerUp
10 August 2019, 19:45
Correct, these were Renton PD guns they took apart. The barrels were cut down to 13.5" to make them work with a certain handguard and an OSS suppressor.

It ended up being a perfect cut for an Aero Precision ATLAS 12" handguard (which is around 12.6"). Too bad it isn't middy gas, though.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XdrXNHs/0/aaf22c7b/XL/i-XdrXNHs-XL.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-SdwKK93/0/ce681951/XL/i-SdwKK93-XL.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-M2ncZpL/0/b8cedb25/XL/i-M2ncZpL-XL.jpg

mustangfreek
12 August 2019, 23:56
Nice little rig..fit is damn near perfect imo.

What can? Griffin ?

BoilerUp
13 August 2019, 06:33
Nice little rig..fit is damn near perfect imo.

What can? Griffin ?

Yes, Recce 5

UWone77
13 August 2019, 07:33
So another update to get that thread back on track.

Yesterday I did some trouble shooting as I initially ran 2 magazines through it, and could not get more than 2 rounds without a malfunction. I've figured out that this lower does not like ETS magazines as it would not stay seated. Not sure if it's the lower or the magazines as a couple times, the magazine would not stay seated.

I went back to the known trouble free PMAGs and after running 2 more full mags with the PMAGs I did not have any issues.

Looking back at some of my notes from the earlier issues, I'm going to tie it all into a magazine/lower issue, not the Radical upper. Everytime I ran this lower with a non-PMAG, it's had issues. I've got almost 1k through the upper and for the most part, the upper itself has had no issues. I'm going to verify with one last range trip that it is indeed the magazine or lower, and then I'll do an accuracy test with some match ammo to wrap this up.

mustangfreek
13 August 2019, 13:49
I’d be shooting that 6mm full audo airsoft of yours instead of this radical stuff
Lololol

UWone77
13 August 2019, 15:23
I’d be shooting that 6mm full audo airsoft of yours instead of this radical stuff
Lololol

For sure, but I get to shoot as much bulk 5.56 as I can. I'll do one more accuracy test with some match ammo I've got, and call it done.