PDA

View Full Version : Colt's LE6940 Advanced LE Carbine

Army Chief
1 April 2009, 02:38
Anyone that has been paying any attention to the market of late is surely aware of Colt's emergent 6940 Advanced LE Carbine. I've not seen one in person, but from what I can glean from digital sources, the main distinction of this weapon seems to simply be the MRP/VIS-like monolithic upper receiver configuration. That aside, a Colt is still a Colt, and for this reason, it certainly deserves a closer look.

Initially, I was curious if perhaps this was the latest manifestation of the earlier M5 / LE1020 Gas Piston Carbine concept, but I believe the LE6940 features a conventional gas system of (presumably) standard carbine length.

Has anyone seen or handled one of these carbines? It would seem to be a nice step forward for Colt, though the market being what it is right now, the asking prices (non-letterhead) I'm seeing are often $2,500 or more.

Aside from this page (http://ar15buyersguide.com/Articles.php?action=detail&g=content1236760110) of basic information and photos, there seems to be relatively little information out there at the moment -- and nothing directly out of Hartford. This could be a great new development if/when the pricing stabilizes a bit; on the other hand, it could simply be Colt's answer to a question that has already been capably dealt with by LMT and VLTOR. Time will tell, but I remain optimistic.

What are your thoughts and impressions of this new model so far?

AC

Ryo
7 April 2009, 21:24
Looks like a nice rifle, but I don't like the flipup front site integrated gas block. Looks a little cheap hanging up so high. I prefer the profile to be more flush with the rail.. but that's me.

Sixgunsblazing
7 April 2009, 23:35
I ordered one about a month ago, no word on how much longer I have to wait for it

Ryo
8 April 2009, 00:40
Where did you order it from if you don't mind me asking?

rob_s
8 April 2009, 03:06
They are trickling out, and there are a few available on gunbroker.

I got to handle one at SHOT, and talk with Dean Caputo about them for some time.

I like the way the bottom rail removes with nothing more than a bullet tip. I'm obviously not concerned with attaching a 203 but I like to be able to get to the barrel for maintenance or whatever. I would prefer to see it with a fixed front sight and agree that the flipup that it comes with is unfortunate.

It's hard to gauge the pricing and how it relates to the 6920 since the market is so nuts. I'd expect it to be at least a $400-500 premium over a standard 6920 given that a rail system would cost $300+/- and a flipup front sight would be another $100 or so.

Army Chief
8 April 2009, 04:45
Unfortunately scarcity and fear have pretty much removed the logical basis that once underwrote AR price structures. Since we've yet to see where the 6920s are going to stabilize (assuming we ever reach a point where availability isn't going to be the driving issue), I suppose it is much too soon to predict where the 6940 is going to level off.

ACAC

adrenaline151
8 April 2009, 05:05
Could someone give an explanation of the letterhead/non-letterhead terms, and how it effects colts prices?

Army Chief
8 April 2009, 05:39
My explanation will probably fall short, but essentially what it comes to is this: sworn peace officers who get an "authorization to purchase" letter from their department (on official letterhead stationery) are eligible to purchase law enforcement program weapons at a reduced rate which I believe equates to a Federal Excise Tax-free price. Assuming I've got my facts straight, it isn't so much Colt's pricing that is different, so much as it is that LE-program carbines are otherwise FET-exempt.

The letterhead is required as verification that said weapons will be used, either directly or indirectly, in support of the officer's law enforcement function. I once bought a SIG P226 this way, and while the weapon itself was identical to any other P226 in the showcase, it was stocked as a LE-program weapon, and thus restricted to letterhead sales.

If someone else could tighten up my shot group here, that would be great, as I'm sure I've missed something along the way.

AC

alpha.kilo
9 April 2009, 00:08
That about covers it. Federal Excise tax on firearms is currently 11% if that helps put everything in perspective.

However large group purchases through departments seems to have a discount effect beyond the FET as it relates to Colt carbines, at least. I think it is determined by scale of purchase.

Ryo
9 April 2009, 00:36
That would make sense. volume discounting.

marvin1
20 April 2009, 11:32
Re: Army Chief, I just purchased a 6940 for $1645 from my local gun shop. The only one he had. Have not shot it yet. He has a (price code) on his tags to remind him what his cost is. I believe it was $1399. I would not be the person to get feedback from as my only experience with an AR was from the Marine Corps, and that was 1976. No help.

gotm4
20 April 2009, 11:53
They're quite nice. We just sold one on Saturday for $1999.

Ryo
18 May 2009, 22:13
There are a few stores getting them in.. Looks like $1999 seems to be the going price..

dragondoc
30 July 2009, 19:14
Impact has the 6940s in stock for $1499. They say they ship in 48hours.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/COLT-LE6940.html

npdpig
8 June 2010, 13:59
I attended a Colt LE Armorer course and had the privelage of ordering one at a reduced price and did so. I got it pretty quickly shipped to my FFl holder. I love it, the floating barrel adds to the accuracy and the easy removal of the rail assembly and the rails themselves are a plus. the flip down front sight is more of a taste thing. I have two other colts boht with fixed front posts, they take a good beating. but the flip down front on the 6940 appears sturdy (I'm not going to test mine to find out) i have fired about 2000 rounds through it in less than a month without a single problem. using Georgia Arms reloads (never had a misfire with them either after about 20000 rounds). The rails give a person alo of options for mounting things if your into that. I put a simple aimpoint optic and between that and the iron sights i hit a tight group up to 300 yards. I havent taken it any further back, just cant imagine the need for that with a 556. I have my 308 for more distance. unless you are a collector since colt never looses value or a real gun nut then go for it you wont be disappointed. If our a basic once a year shooter dont spend the money, Colt and Bushmaster and even Armalite have good basic rifles. Unlike the other rifles I have I have no desire yet to change out parts or add anything other then the optics and a light....

tac40
14 November 2010, 08:07
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/AR%20Lock/Colt6940005.jpg

My Colt 6940 with Aimpoint M4 mounted on a Bobro mount with Bobro VFG. Magpul folding rear sight, Crane stock, World Wide Ord. grip, BMC #4 charging handle, Battle Comp device and BAD ASS ambi lever-slim & std.

My 1st shooting impression, shot like my Colt 6920. The trigger on the Colt 6940 was very crisp and sharp-no play and worked well. The folding front sight was stock and worked, I'm leaving this alone for now. All the parts replaced, were easily placed on and showed no difficulty in operating-smooth and mil-spec[:)].

I ran approximately 500 rds of Winchester 55 grn white box and 60 grn. There were no hick ups and problems to speak off. I lubed up the BCG prior to shooting the weapon. The one piece upper was well made and solid. The 7" rail was functional and allowed for quick placement of assorted toys, lights and my stuff from work. At times, the front sling mount was in the way for the 2 pt VTAC sling. There is a quick release front sling mount on the rail. I will move to a single pt later on.

The Colt 6940 was kept light and allowed for quick & easy movement. I did not put any rail panels on it yet and the shape of rail design made the upper look fat-maybe it's just me looking at it like a new GF?[BD]

Why the Colt 6940, this was a purchase with a depart letter and at the time Colt was it. The majority of my co-workers went with the Colt 6940-it already had a rail and the thinking was save a few bucks. Price was competitive, about $100.00 less then civilian price. The Colt 6940 lower is well made and looked like my 6920. I duplicated the Colt 6920 setup like my Colt 6940.

Stickman
14 November 2010, 18:10
I don't think I'll ever buy another 16" carbine, but if I did, I would give this a hard look.

Colt needs to get into modern times and put a few midlengths on the market.

fuse
15 November 2010, 00:39

This x1000

Grrrr
15 November 2010, 09:14
I don't think I'll ever buy another 16" carbine, but if I did, I would give this a hard look.

While I really like my 6920.......that will probably be the last colt rifle I buy. They don't care about the civilian market and until the military makes a mid length the standard I doubt they will ever put one out.

Stocks
19 November 2010, 02:22
I purchased a 6940 about 4 months ago and now carry it as my duty rifle. It is a great rifle! The monolithic upper and sights are the only difference. Same issues as the standard AR gas systems with carbon build up. I wish I would have waited and got a Piston rifle. I went through advanced tactical rifle training with guys using the LWRC Mil Spec Piston rilfes and at the end of the day, the piston gun was clean and easy to maintenance!

My pal who is a U.S. Army Ranger in Afghanistan carries an HK M4 rifle that is piston. He says it is the best rifle ever developed. The guys using the LWRC piston rifles just love them.

I am betting that Colt will eventually come out with a LE piston rilfe! Unfortunatley we are only allowed to obtain one department letter per Deputy. California weapons bans really suck!

Stocks
19 November 2010, 02:24
Also, COLT is making or has made a limited number of 10" barrel length SWAT entry rifles. I think the Colt Rep said they made 500 of them as a special order item for oen department. They were testing them at our range. Nice little package with a selector switch!!!!