PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read on gun grease vs. gun oil

Aragorn
21 July 2018, 07:49
So this wasn't information I had really been looking for, but I stumbled across a gun grease called Cherry Balmz Black Rifle Balm over on Forward Controls web store. Not being familiar with this product I decided to look into it.

Wow. Not many places lay out the info and science like Cherry Balmz does. It's a bit of a long read (several pages if you decide to read through it all), but I found it both interesting and enlightening. Thought I'd share for those of you interested.

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/educate-yourself-the-science

JGifford
21 July 2018, 08:55
So this wasn't information I had really been looking for, but I stumbled across a gun grease called Cherry Balmz Black Rifle Balm over on Forward Controls web store. Not being familiar with this product I decided to look into it.

Wow. Not many places lay out the info and science like Cherry Balmz does. It's a bit of a long read (several pages if you decide to read through it all), but I found it both interesting and enlightening. Thought I'd share for those of you interested.

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/educate-yourself-the-science

I began using it from the get-go on a new Benelli M4 Entry gun. Wear to the cam pin is significantly reduced compared to G96 Synthetic on my last Benelli M4 (a fullsize, but I figure they both beat it up the same as they both cycle the same low-brass ammo). The rails also look good. I've become a fan.

VIPER 237
21 July 2018, 20:55
That was a very good read, and making me rethink the whole ‘no grease on AR’s’ thing

Sak007
21 July 2018, 23:28
Thanks Aragorn for pointing me in the direction of something new to help with my GAS
Gear
Acquisition
Syndrome

PJD642
22 July 2018, 09:08
Totally agree with their statements regarding the inherent contradictions of a CLP...I'm arguing that very topic with an (ex-army) range officer I work with as we revamp our rifle policy & procedures.

I ordered the "Buy 5" deal to try. As I don't have any bolt action rifles, I'd be happy to send the "Bolt balm" to someone who does to see what they think. Just PM me. First come, first serve.

SINNER
22 July 2018, 12:38
No stated temp range for the normal grease and a cold weather formula? Yeah, I’ll pass on that. Paid the price of a ruined hunting trip from Frog Lube freezing up.

At least they are telling you initially they have an inferior product that needs multiple formulas to handle temp extremes. FL denied it was an issue until they release the extreme.

alamo5000
22 July 2018, 13:05
I am not the only nerd here! LOL!!!!

Seriously though, I read the article and I found it very interesting and very well thought out. The author sounds like he's put actual thought into the product and it's reasoning, not just some marketing gimmick.

I am just about tempted to try some of this stuff out.

Aragorn
22 July 2018, 13:25
No stated temp range for the normal grease and a cold weather formula? Yeah, I’ll pass on that. Paid the price of a ruined hunting trip from Frog Lube freezing up.

At least they are telling you initially they have an inferior product that needs multiple formulas to handle temp extremes. FL denied it was an issue until they release the extreme.

So what's the superior ultra lube you use?

I'm gonna give some of this a shot but the go to for me has been Umbrella's Unicorn lube, which I've liked better than my previous favorite Slip 2000.

ETA: I've emailed Cherry Balmz about the temperature ranges. Hopefully we'll have an answer soon.

Joelski
22 July 2018, 14:53
Since they refer to "What happens when you fire the gun" isn't it safe to assume it's at least safe for gun operating temperature? You can smoke anything, depending where you put the lube. I've been a fan of long chain polymers since PTFE and Slick 50.

alamo5000
22 July 2018, 15:19
ETA: I've emailed Cherry Balmz about the temperature ranges. Hopefully we'll have an answer soon.

I emailed them too about why the rimfire stuff isn't included in the mix and match. It says it should be but it doesn't give the option in the menu.

ChattanoogaPhil
22 July 2018, 17:01

Since you asked... actually its called "Ultima" lube. haha.

I don't know a damn thing about lubes so I rely on someone who manufactures guns and sells lubricants for them, Bill Wilson.
The top temp ranges are all the same, 350. The lower temp ranges vary quite a bit from 10, 20, 40 and above 50 depending on the selection of oil or grease. Pretty mild climate here in Chattanooga. If I lived up north I might consider something different. I duknow.

Rimefire guns? Hell, for 25 years all I used was Rem Oil (distilled cat piss) on my Rugers. One has about 70k rounds though it.

I learned a long time ago to stay away from lube discussions... I think that's all I have to offer.

BoilerUp
22 July 2018, 21:49
This post by Grant Cunningham is a bit of a "classic": http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

I had to re-think lubricants when i picked up an M1 Garand which requires grease. I picked up a small tub of Lubriplate SFL-0, 15 ounces for $15, which will last for a very long time. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/190130/lubriplate-sfl-0-gun-grease-15-oz-tub

That said, I ordered the "free" black rifle balm to try out. I have a container of Frog lube I'll never touch again if anyone wants it.

JGifford
23 July 2018, 01:30

I took their Black rifle Balm down to -4 and it didn't change consistently that i could tell by touching it.

JGifford
23 July 2018, 01:39
Totally agree with their statements regarding the inherent contradictions of a CLP...I'm arguing that very topic with an (ex-army) range officer I work with as we revamp our rifle policy & procedures.

I ordered the "Buy 5" deal to try. As I don't have any bolt action rifles, I'd be happy to send the "Bolt balm" to someone who does to see what they think. Just PM me. First come, first serve.

Just buy all 5 BRB.

JGifford
23 July 2018, 01:41
I am not the only nerd here! LOL!!!!

Seriously though, I read the article and I found it very interesting and very well thought out. The author sounds like he's put actual thought into the product and it's reasoning, not just some marketing gimmick.

I am just about tempted to try some of this stuff out.

I agree. It's a very light grease with a robust and scientifically backed addpack without anything super toxic (ptfe) when combusted. No magic, just a solid product.,

gatordev
23 July 2018, 04:08
I learned a long time ago to stay away from lube discussions... I think that's all I have to offer.

Talking lube is like talking about someone else's religion. Talking about lube, barrel break-in, and op-rod ARs are the trifecta of internet mayhem.

SINNER
23 July 2018, 04:49

I'm gonna give some of this a shot but the go to for me has been Umbrella's Unicorn lube, which I've liked better than my previous favorite Slip 2000.

Honestly I’ve been fooled enough to know that some small gun Lube company is in no way competing with the big corp’s for lubrication research and development. And anyone with knowledge of firearms and combustion engines know that if a Lube excels in a engine it has 100 times more capabilities then required to protect a firearm.

alamo5000
25 July 2018, 16:02
I bought some. I didn't need all 5 so I bought a mix and match.

FortTom
25 July 2018, 17:13
…... I have a container of Frog lube I'll never touch again if anyone wants it.

I let myself get caught up in the "lube wars" of '013's till they died out a bit back in the '17's. How foolish. I think I came to my senses after my foray into the "astounding" world of frog lube, and found rifles in the safe with thick gummy crap clogging their arteries. Not only Frog Lube, but every new thing some "well known gunslinger" was touting as the next best thing since smokeless powder. Then it dawned on me that EWL was working great for me, what the heck am I screwing with all of this foolishness for.

Still using it.

Want to really start a fight? Go on a Harley forum and ask... "what's the best oil?". Just kidding....never...ever do that.[:D]

FT[:D]

Stone
25 July 2018, 18:24
My first thought after reading most of the article and then looking at the product was the same as sinners. Why a lube for cold weather also? The product looks and sounds decent but what I am using works and works well for the drastic temp swings in Minnesota. I use Slip EWL combined with the Slip EWL grease that comes in a syringe. A decent coat of the oil and a few dabs of the grease on the slide rails of my pistols and in the charging handle slides in the upper on my rifles. Its like they are riding on ball bearings. In the winter I just back down on the grease to a bare minimum.