PDA

View Full Version : Which of the "Plastic Fantastic" Pistols?

jeeves915
1 April 2009, 20:06
I've started looking into getting a new pistol for training/carry. and have settled on going polymer for this one. This means that I'm considering the following weapons. I'm leaning towards getting it chambered in .40S&W for both ammo availability, carry capacity, and stopping power.

Springfield Armory XD 4"
Smith & Wesson M&P Fullsize
Glock 22

Now, I know little about these pistols, so, I'm posing it to you guys what would work best.

I've also considered a Sig, or a CZ, but, I'm fairly ignorant on those systems as well.

CZ P-06, or SP-01
Sig P226

Any advice you could provide would be appreciated.
-Adam

bigcoastie
1 April 2009, 20:34
I shoot the sig at work and I have to say I absolutely cannot say enough bad things about it. It's just my personal preference but the trigger pull is way too long for me and I've heard about 90% of people agree with me. I find it to be a difficult gun to shoot accurately as opposed to really anything I've ever picked up.

I am a big fan of glock 17s and 22s they just seem more crisp overall and I've never had any reliability issues with them, I can't say the same about the sig either, I also shoot my pistols a hell of a lot more than the sigs at work. Will you being carrying concealed or open carry also? As much as I like my glock I don't carry it concealed, I have never felt comfortable carrying it with one in the hole, I actually carry a Taurus which will get a lot of criticism from people but I cannot say enough good things about my 24/7 in .45.

As for .40 I think it's an excellent choice, I'm from TX so it's a requirement to carry a .45

sadmin
1 April 2009, 20:36
I own both the Glock 22 and the S&W. I have shot the XD multiple times, but it was in 9mm. I have to say that out of your choices, Im going to go with the Glock. I enjoy the S&W trigger more; but im sold on the Glock platform for reliability. You wont find it the most comfortable frame, but im partial to it since I own a 17,17L,19,22,34. The price point is also a plus, especially when concerned with the 22. There has been a LEO dump on model 22's and you can get them for 150-200.00 off at times. With that savings you can drop some Warren sights in there and its GTG.

Stickman
1 April 2009, 20:44
I have to ask why you are set on the .40 caliber.....

How often do you plan to carry it? Are you going to carry inside the waist, or outside with the holster?

federalist22
1 April 2009, 20:53
I live behind enemy lines and concealed carry is a dream we have here, but I own a few that I would consider carrying.

XD40 - Sub-compact (3") - carry potential
XD40 - Service Mod (4") - a little big, but it would work
XDM40 - Match (4.5") - nice, a lot of rounds, but slightly too big

Also own a
Taurus PT24/7 .45
Glock 22 .40
Kimber Custom II 1911 .45
SA 1911 GI Model 1911 .45

I have friends in Virginia that carry the Para PDA 1911 .45, the Kimber CDP 1911 .45, and my dad, when off duty, carries his SA XD45 Compact .45. My dad traded his old Glock 27 (.40) and some cash for his XD45 Compact. He has no regrets and shoots a perfect score now on the concealed carry test for retired SAPD--he never shot perfect with the Glock 27. The XD has a similar grip angle to the 1911, which is really natural for a shooter, plus it has a lot of nice features and for the price you cannot beat it. I have shot the XD40 Tactical (5"), Compact, and I own the Service, Sub-compact, and XDM (all in .40) and all shoot about the same out to about 15 yds, but the XDM is a little better to shoot beyond that range. My wife does real good with the XDM too, but can shoot any of them. Here is a link to the XD torture test: http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

Read the torture test and it could steer you to Springfield.

.45 is nice, but .40 will put someone down easy too--stay away from 9mm, it has been proven to NOT be a man stopper - click this and scroll down for one example: http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/teeth.asp - Good thing 9mm is a substandard round or this soldier would not have made it.

There are a variety of pistols out there and the same model comes in many calibers now, so that makes for a wide range of choices.

Audiophiliac
1 April 2009, 22:57
I like my XD45 4". I do not carry it, so I cannot give an opinion on that, but it sure is a fun shooter. I just need more time with it.

bigcoastie
2 April 2009, 04:11
I live behind enemy lines and concealed carry is a dream we have here, but I own a few that I would consider carrying.

XD40 - Sub-compact (3") - carry potential
XD40 - Service Mod (4") - a little big, but it would work
XDM40 - Match (4.5") - nice, a lot of rounds, but slightly too big

Also own a
Taurus PT24/7 .45
Glock 22 .40
Kimber Custom II 1911 .45
SA 1911 GI Model 1911 .45

I have friends in Virginia that carry the Para PDA 1911 .45, the Kimber CDP 1911 .45, and my dad, when off duty, carries his SA XD45 Compact .45. My dad traded his old Glock 27 (.40) and some cash for his XD45 Compact. He has no regrets and shoots a perfect score now on the concealed carry test for retired SAPD--he never shot perfect with the Glock 27. The XD has a similar grip angle to the 1911, which is really natural for a shooter, plus it has a lot of nice features and for the price you cannot beat it. I have shot the XD40 Tactical (5"), Compact, and I own the Service, Sub-compact, and XDM (all in .40) and all shoot about the same out to about 15 yds, but the XDM is a little better to shoot beyond that range. My wife does real good with the XDM too, but can shoot any of them. Here is a link to the XD torture test: http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

Read the torture test and it could steer you to Springfield.

.45 is nice, but .40 will put someone down easy too--stay away from 9mm, it has been proven to NOT be a man stopper - click this and scroll down for one example: http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/teeth.asp - Good thing 9mm is a substandard round or this soldier would not have made it.

There are a variety of pistols out there and the same model comes in many calibers now, so that makes for a wide range of choices.

I have to disagree about a lot of the negative 9mm stuff, is there a slight possibility if someone is wearing heaving clothing that a hollow 9mm is not going to expand, maybe? There is always going to be wierd shit that happens, like the story above does it mean that it's the norm, hell no. If we're talking about modern hollow point rounds I think 9mm .40 and .45 are all proven "man killers" If you are going to be shooting exclusively ball ammunition 9mm wouldn't be my first choice. Every cartridge has negatives and positives. High capacity low caliber lower recoil vs. low capacity high caliber higher recoil to name a few.

federalist22
2 April 2009, 04:43
I have to disagree about a lot of the negative 9mm stuff, is there a slight possibility if someone is wearing heaving clothing that a hollow 9mm is not going to expand, maybe? There is always going to be wierd shit that happens, like the story above does it mean that it's the norm, hell no. If we're talking about modern hollow point rounds I think 9mm .40 and .45 are all proven "man killers" If you are going to be shooting exclusively ball ammunition 9mm wouldn't be my first choice. Every cartridge has negatives and positives. High capacity low caliber lower recoil vs. low capacity high caliber higher recoil to name a few.
Very true. The ballistics of any round can be unpredictable and 9mm offers lower recoil, lower cost, and often higher capacity. Even though the Army renewed its contract with Beretta for the M9, there has been a lot of controversy over its stopping power and many are still advocating for its replacement (much like they are for the M16 and M4). The history of the 1911 stems from the very same problem of stopping power when the Army used .38 revolvers in the Philippines during the Moro rebellion on Mindanao--funny how that island is part of that region's Islamic extremist strongholds now. Out of the ordnance board that reviewed the Army's .38 problem came Browning's 1911 in .45. I think that if the Army investigated a replacement for its 9mm Beretta sidearm, they should investigate the SA XD series pistols (9mm, 40, or 45) because they would probably last longer than their 92FS (M9) counterpart and the replacements would be cheaper per unit. The Army's decision is probably based on ammunition cost.

Granted, this .40 round had to go through a rear windshield first, so it's not representative of its stopping power, much like most rounds going through windshield glass (even .308 has problems with it), but this story is pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q2qKq7DiAQ

If you can conceal it, although the barrel is 4.5" so it depends on what you are wearing, the SA XDM40 (16+1) or XDM9 (19+1) are among the highest capacity pistols out there with factory mags and no protruding mag extensions (nice grip size too--hardly noticeable over the standard XD).

adrenaline151
2 April 2009, 06:15
I carry an XD Service model .40 every day. I'm 5'9, about 180 and don't have any problem keeping it hidden on my frame, I wear it in a DeSantis IWB, even a light button up shirt will cover it well. I keep 12+1 in it at all times, and an extra mag of 12 in my left pocket. I like that it's pretty much bomb-proof, as a Glock would be, but my personal taste in grip angle takes Glock out of my personal carry equation. I would say... go to a gunshop where you can feel each of the pistols, if you can get a holster, draw them, and it may become immediately clear which one is for you. They are all going to be reliable, and dependable(the ones you mentioned). Good luck, and let us know what you end up with!

jeeves915
2 April 2009, 06:57
Federalist:
I KNOW the soldier in that story! He's a fraternity brother of mine back from my undergrad days! A great guy too. The way he tells the story though, it as a .38 he was shot with, not a 9mm.

Anyways, back on track.
To those who asked how often and how I'll carry: I'm a grad student, which means carrying on campus is out. I realize the polymer systems mentioned will be larger than say, a 1911 (of which I already own 2, Kimbers the both). I carry IWB, as open carry where I am (Al/Fl) is verboten.

Stick: I decided on the .40sw because I felt it was a good compromise between the stopping power of .45acp, and the ability to carry more rounds of a 9mm. Also, I have a thing for calibers that start in 4 for some reason...

To answer what will probably be asked next, "Why not stay with your 1911's?" I'd like to diversify a little bit, and I am not comfortable with their reliability in their current forms to be subjected to the stresses of training classes with high round counts. After this purchase, whatever it may be, I'll probably get a Springfield and have it worked over to be a competent carry gun.

scumhunter
2 April 2009, 09:13
If I didn’t miss anything, you’re looking for an IWB, concealable carry gun. I think .40 is a good caliber if you will carry it and not leave it at home. When people ask me what gun they should get for concealed carry I always tell them the same thing. “The biggest caliber they can (and will) comfortably carry.” A Desert Eagle .50 calibers would be my recommendation if you will lug it with you every time you leave home.
I have a Glock 22 and a Sig P229 that I rarely carry due to the size and weight. I carry 99% of the time so anything that causes me discomfort, makes me constantly pull up my pants or requires frequent checking for “peeking or printing” is a real drag.
I had a Glock 27 that I put a lot of carry miles on. Although it is a thick frame, the Glock is very flat and doesn’t have any pokey points to dig into love handles. It is a little heavy but a very good balance between fire power (caliber & number of rounds) and comfort.
I have a Ruger LCP .380. I don’t think a more comfortable carry gun can be found. I can carry this lil gun anywhere….even when sneaking out to the mailbox in my skivvies! No matter the weather, manner of dress or activity, this gun is up for the trip. IWB, in a pocket, SOB or in the waistband of my tighty whiteys, it is always there. The obvious weakness to this gun is firepower. .380 is not a ballistic champ and the 6+1 capacity makes an extra mag a really good idea. I could rant about how .380 is a poor choice for protection but I know it will do more for me in a life threatening situation than a .45 sitting in my dresser drawer.
I have picked the Kahr .40 as my perfect carry gun. It is small enough to carry most of the time. The smooth edges and slim frame making it great for IWB carry. The .40 caliber ballistics make it an adequate man stopper.
The Springfield XD and S&W M&P you are drawn to are good carry guns but I would strongly recommend a compact model over the full size counterparts. Look around, you may find a more fitting carry gun after making comfort a priority.

jeeves915
2 April 2009, 09:41
ScumHunter:
This will be a "sometimes" carry gun, as I have other weapons I carry as well. It's just that I feel they are not up to the rigors of a high round training class. I'd much rather be training than tweaking, if you follow me.

For me, a 1911 is about perfect for "carry comfort", and is what I carry, when I CAN carry.

scumhunter
2 April 2009, 10:15
Gotchya,

Well a full size training gun that is simular to size and function to your 1911 carry guns would be the way to go. If you are stuck on plastic maybe look at a Taurus or the H&K! They both offer a thumb safety that functions like a 1911.

jeeves915
2 April 2009, 12:08
SH:
Cost is an issue, as is reliability, hence the aforementioned weapons. H&K's, while nice, are spendy, and I'm not confident in Taurus, at all.

When I said training, perhaps I would have better been served by asking about a "hard use" weapon.

bigcoastie
2 April 2009, 12:46
I love the features of my Taurus, I've only put 800 rounds through it but still no FTF. I carry it daily and really cannot say enough good things about it 24/7 pro in .45 acp I bought it because I'm not confident in carrying anything w/o a manual safety.

adrenaline151
2 April 2009, 12:59
Just wondering what makes you think your 1911s won't take the "hard use" of training? Those Kimbers SHOULD be great, although I have heard no not-so-great stuff about Kimbers lately, I have no personal experience with them, myself. It seems to me that about the only thing a polymer pistol would do that your 1911 won't, is hold more ammo. I agree with scum, if you are dead set on the polymer pistol, I'd stick to something as similar to your 1911 as possible, especially if you will be interchanging. Maybe an XD with the thumb safety would suffice in this situation, but I would be careful about training with a Glock, then carrying the 1911. In a bad situation, you'll be better served by muscle-memory than memory-memory. Not knowing what you have for Kimbers as far as size goes, I would say take the cash you are going to spend on the polymer, buy ammo, shoot it all, and by the end of 500-600 bucks worth of ammo, you'll know if your Kimbers are reliable or not. If you already KNOW that they aren't, I don't see the logic in keeping them around, anyway, might as well sell them or trade them towards something that is. If you're just looking to collect a few handguns, then I'd say get whatever looks and feels good to you, and figure out which is the most reliable and train with that. I'd love to have half a dozen handguns, but if it meant shooting 100 rounds a year through each of 6, instead of 600 through 1, I'll stick to my 1 and only. In this case I definitely think familiarity is your friend!

louie
2 April 2009, 14:30
My .02...

I'm a SIG man, so my bias may pop up in this thread, please bear with me.

I have to reiterate Stick's post.
-Are you sold on caliber .40S&W?
-Will this be IWB or OWB carry?

Now for my query...

Are you sold on a polymer pistol?
Do you want traditional DA/SA, DAO, or SOA?
If you go with a DA/SA, do you want a decocker?

For a polymer pistol, I prefer HK. Not that there's anything wrong with Glock, I just prefer HK.

Have you considered an HK? The relatively new HK 45 is a nice shooter, and is also available in a Compact frame. This is not the HK USP pistol, but a 'new' model with interchangeable backstraps, and ambi-controls, including the slide release. These are nice! And they shoot, well, like an HK!

HK also has a 'Combat/Competition' model that is available in 9mm or .40S&W. Of course the USP's are still available too; (these are available in 9mm, .40S&W, and .45acp.)

For a slick, reliable, and accurate shooter, you can't beat an HK. My USP has seen many rounds of various brands of ammo, and is still going strong, and I don't even clean the darn thing! (Sort of an experiment for me, just to see how long this pony will go, without a hiccup.)

Now, on to the SIG's...

I carry a P-245 (.45acp), presently, but this could change. It's got some weight to it, but boy does it point and shoot well. A comparable model would be the currently available P-220 Compact, also chambered in .45acp. (There is also a 220-Carry, which I believe has a beavertail grip.)

If you like the .40S&W caliber, then take a look at the P-226 for a full-size, or the P-229 for a compact. Both of these pistols can be had in .357sig caliber too!

HK's and SIG's are pricey, so be prepared. You could probably buy a pair of Glock's for the cost of a SIG or an HK, so you may want to consider this into your equation as well.

ETA...
Just to add some more confusion, check out the new SIG P-250 .45acp too! I have 250 Compact 9mm in FDE, and it's a keeper! DAO, but with a short reset trigger. Nice!

Decisions, decisions, huh?

Good luck in your quest!

louie, out!

jeeves915
2 April 2009, 21:50
Adrenaline:
My Kimbers, both gifts, are CDP's. Aluminum frames are not happy with high round counts. Also, one still has an external ejector, which also makes it finicky. Since they were both gifts from my father, I refuse to sell them. They will be worked on, so as to support bulletproof reliability, but until then, they are relegated to target work, and occasional carry.

A 1911, done right, to me, would be a $1000 or so purchase. The polymer weapon systems are $5-600, which gives me more to work with in the way of additional mags, etc. Especially, MORE AMMO, Don't get me wrong, I'm a 1911 believer, but, I want to do it RIGHT, if I'm going to do it. (Read: graduation present to myself from a good smith/shop)

A platform similar to a 1911 is probably a good idea, I certainly agree. That limits out a Glock, and works to include the other weapons.

I've heard from other sources that Sig QC has slipped as of recent (someone I'd be inclined to trust). He didn't cite details, so I don't know if that means they are just "rougher" or they are jam-o-matics.

HK's are good guns, but, their CS is...well...hit or miss (the whole, "we really don't care about civilians" attitude is still lurking from my reading). Also, they are VERY spendy, in both initial purchase, and parts.

As for the "Am I REALLY set on .40sw" question:
I'm not sold on the round 100%. It is available easily in these times of limited supply, which is a definite positive. It also is smaller than .45acp, allowing me to carry more rounds, also a plus. (As an aside, I'm a firm believer that if I NEED more than 8+1 in a .45acp, I'm at the end of a long list of VERY bad decisions, so ammo capacity is secondary). That being said, I've read that to some the recoil makes the round harder to shoot well than 9mm.

Carry for this PARTICULAR weapon will be more secondary, as I'm going for this being a...well...secondary weapon system to supplement whatever long gun I'm carrying at the time. True day in, day out carry will be relegated to a well worked on 1911 (like or loathe the platform, they DO carry well, at least to me).

Thanks for all the advice thus far. It seems like the overarching consensus is...well...what do I like...lol

-Adam

federalist22
2 April 2009, 22:02
Gotchya,

Well a full size training gun that is simular to size and function to your 1911 carry guns would be the way to go. If you are stuck on plastic maybe look at a Taurus or the H&K! They both offer a thumb safety that functions like a 1911.
You can also get a 4" SA XD40 Service Model with the 1911-style thumb safety as an option.

jeeves915
2 April 2009, 22:05
Louie:
To answer your 3 queries.
1) I'm not sold on polymer, but, for cost containment of this particular gun, that's where I'm starting my looking.

2) DA/SA or SAO are my preference, with me liking SAO more.

3) DA/SA with a decocker to me, seems like a good idea. However, I've not seen a DA/SA system with both a decocker and a thumbsafety. (to support condition 1 carry)

My big issue with DA/SA systems is that there are TWO different trigger pulls to get used to. I realize this can be trained through, but, it's one more weapon system difference to work with. That, and no thumbsafety for cond. 1 carry, once again.

I DO like Sig's though. I've pondered purchasing one on and off for a while now. Just a matter of getting more...gun fondling time I suppose to decide which I like.
-Adam

MMG
3 April 2009, 08:18
Louie:
I DO like Sig's though. I've pondered purchasing one on and off for a while now. Just a matter of getting more...gun fondling time I suppose to decide which I like.
-Adam
One that you left out in polymer is the SigPro 2022. They weigh about the same as the P229 and are about the same size. Sig failed to market these very well and as a result, they're being discontinued but they are still available in 9mm, .357SIG and .40. They're reasonably priced and have one of the best stock triggers available today. Mine's a DA/SA in .357SIG. It's more accurate than I am and I won't ever sell it.

Here (http://lundestudio.com/SigProFAQ/) is some info on the Pro while there are some pics at the bottom of this (http://lundestudio.com/sigs.html) page.

bigcoastie
3 April 2009, 11:10
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=100&category=Pistol#

SA/DA manual thumb safety and a decocker

alt154shiver
3 April 2009, 11:55
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=100&category=Pistol#

SA/DA manual thumb safety and a decocker

I know there are a lot of people on the fence regarding taurus. I own the PT24/7Pro, and it does not (unless they made a drastic change to the weapon) feature a decocking lever. The trigger pull takes some getting used to. There is a significant amount of slack in the pull with a very obvious pause as the trigger disengages the firing pin block and the more slack before the actual pause before the break. It is a very very very long pull. However the reset is a comfortable distance. Not anything like a 1911 race gun, but short enough to allow for consistent double taps.

That said, for the cost of the weapon, I could not be happier with it's performance. I paid around $350 for mine at Sportsmans Warehouse about three years ago. I have beaten the ever living snot out of it. 2,000 rounds without a cleaning and no stoppages (admittedly the brass fouling was a bitch to get out after that). It has been dropped, dry fired, used in transition drills, and for about two and a half years was my EDC. The weapon is not the most accurate, however, on numerous occasions I have managed to break single clays placed at around 60 meters with five rounds using a combat stance.

Just my $0.02

However after all of that, my next pistol purchase will more than likely be an XD in 9mm. (watch me get a lemon and have it break on me... :D )

bigcoastie
3 April 2009, 13:09
I have a 24/7 pro DS

Up once on the safety = safety
Push up again and it decocks

rob_s
3 April 2009, 13:20
I am a big fan of ubiquitous products. If I buy a truck, I want an F150. If I buy a drill, I want a Dewalt. I cary this same bias over to guns. Because of that, as well as a few other reasons, if I buy a plastic gun it's a Glock. Magazines and spare parts are more readily available, upgrades and the aftermarket is supported the best, finding a duplicate to my carry gun is easiest, etc. It doesn't hurt that 9mm Glocks are about the most reliable gun you're going to find.

Some random thoughts on other contenders..

XD. I sold guns back when the XD first came out as the "Hotshot 2000" and was $400. I just can't bring myself to buy one after that. I'm a 1911 guy at heart, and other 1911 guys tell me they think the XD has the best grip, but I hate the damn thing. That grip safety is one of the worst I've ever felt.

USP. I still don't have a lock on why, but we never see them in IDPA or IPSC unless someone is just being stubborn or likes being anacronistic. From time to time someone will show up with one at their first match but it ain't long before they get something else. I suspect it's the high bore axis.

Sig. Any sig. Bulky, high bore axis, expensive for what it is, and now they're nice enough to only give you one magazine. yay!

M&P. This one is actually a close runner. The fact that they don't ahve a G26-sized version, and the fact that the magazines are more expensive than the Glock, keeps me away. I also think it would be harder to find magazines after a ban. If I was starting on plastic pistols today though I'd take a much harder look at the M&P.

DISCLAIMER!
the above are just my OPINIONS, based on my experiences shooting, handling, and/or selling all of the above. This does not reflect on your chosen firearm in any way shape or form.

alt154shiver
3 April 2009, 13:22
This is a new(er) development, that the 'pro' is etched in all fancy like now. I suppose that's what I get for being an early adopter as mine only has one position for the safety.

ETA - This was in response to the decocking lever on the Taurus.

jbsmwd
3 April 2009, 18:42
SA XD that came out with the thumb safety was the 4 in. service model in the 45acp. Works like an ambdextuors (sp?) safety on a 1911. If the frame is to big you can get the frame cut to accept the compact 10 round magazines.

federalist22
4 April 2009, 16:47
I believe if you order through the SA custom shop you can get any of the XD's with the thumb safety--the downside to that is wait time.

louie
4 April 2009, 23:05

3) DA/SA with a decocker to me, seems like a good idea. However, I've not seen a DA/SA system with both a decocker and a thumbsafety. (to support condition 1 carry)

-Adam

Just a heads up...

The HK USP, or HK Combat .45, can be had with DA/SA, Decocker, and safety for cond. 1 carry.

My USP is a Variant 2, (lefty), DA/SA, decocker/safety.

GriffonSec
5 April 2009, 08:04
I've been following this thread for a while now and it's been interesting. While my input is probably considered extremely limited, I'll throw my couple of pennies in.

First, I'm going to agree with train with what you carry. Second, I'd find a shop with a range that gives you the opportunity to test drive a few different models.

I used to carry a USP 40 for work until I went through my first Tactical Handgun course. I was comfortable range shooting it, but after that course I was completely exhausted. I didn't realize how front heavy this pistol was to me until after the first day, and I was literally dreading firing it the next day. It's a quality pistol, I loved it and I have no reliability complaints, shot everything I put through it including 2 time reloads. I just won't own another, I can't afford to be a collector, all of my guns have a use, or they end up sold.

I switched over to a 1911, more specifically a Para P-13. This pistol has become my carry gun and is my work gun while in Tennessee. While heavier than the USP, the weight is low in the palm of my hand versus way out front like the USP. I poked around and found it for a song. I've changed only a few things on the pistol, but it's proven to be outright reliable.

I am regulated in Florida to 9 or 380 in semiauto pistol selections for work (don't think I'm not trying to figure out how to change that). I ended up finding a LEO turn in Sig 226. It's a great pistol, great feel for me. I've not had the opportunity to class train with it, but doing drills and firing in the back yard, I don't think I'll have the issues I had with the H&K. If I switch from the P-13 (CCW) to the Sig for work, I'll do a few dry drills before I head out.

As much as I'm not a fan of Glocks (it's a 'feel' issue, I'm simply not comfortable with them, and I've not shot one model yet where I'm consistent, most definitely not a gripe with Glock), you can't beat the fact that parts are plentiful, and it's a proven platform. Buy the pistol, buy some mags and shoot the crap out of it. Again, not a personal fan, but if you shoot it and it has a good feel to you, you can't beat the Glock.

CAPT KIRK
5 April 2009, 19:55
Just my 2 cents..... From someone who is a veteran of 19 years as an LEO....

I started in 1990 with a Sig Sauer and was one of the biggest smack talkers about the Glock "Tactical Tuperware" guns. Circumstances ultimately dictated my carrying the Glock, and I must admitt it was a good thing.

The Glock has never failed me, nor have I seen it fail any of my partners. I have been involved in several OIS and had to fire mine on duty twice. For cost, simplicity and reliabilty they are hard to beat.

Army Chief
6 April 2009, 00:30
I started in 1990 with a Sig Sauer and was one of the biggest smack talkers about the Glock "Tactical Tupperware" guns.

My experience is similar, though my duty piece was a S&W 639, and I carried SIGs off-duty. I think my G17 objections at the time were really more a response to (a) über-obnoxious Glock proponents, and (b) the balance and handling of the piece, as compared to most competing designs.

I still favor 1911s -- and still don't own a Glock -- but I've definitely softened my stance, and I can see myself adding a G19 to the mix at some point. It may be an inelegant industrial grade solution, but if we've learned anything over the past couple of decades, it is that these are robust and reliable working tools. A thinking man would have to conclude that the service record of the G Series is a pretty compelling exoneration.

AC

Eric
7 April 2009, 23:28
My preference for weapons is always skewed toward something that I am qualified to work on, so I tend to carry a Glock. However, I won't give up my Springfield XD and I'm looking at adding a S&W MP, which fits my hand better than most. For a general duty pistol, I sure like the Glock 19.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/pistols/IMG_6121.jpg

TehLlama
8 April 2009, 10:02
I'll throw an oddball in the mix, especially for you fellow 1911 lovers:

STI GP6 (GrandPower K100Mk6)

I got one of these for my wife, but it's fast becoming a go-to HD pistol. Fantastic SA trigger after STI's importation, Tennifer treated slide, and solid polymer frame, but can be carried cocked and locked, or hammer down for DA first pull. DAO version should be on the way, and the Limited version should be shipping in the coming months.

Definitely worth a look - especially if I can get my CZ/TZ-75 magazines working in it (option for 32rd, 19rd, 17rd, 15rd).
I wanted to go the G19 route, but I couldn't get it to point comfortably, and the lack of external safety was a dealbreaker.
I'll probably have a tritium lamp installed on the front sight, and it'll be GTG.

durangojim
10 April 2009, 10:17
I've carried a Glock 30sf (45 cal) for about a year and have put about 2K rounds through it and have not had one failure. I use it for self defense and IDPA. I also carry a S&W 642 in my pocket for when I'm at work, but once I leave it's the Glock that I have in my MTAC IWB holster. I have total confidence in it and can't recommend it hightly enough.