PDA

View Full Version : Let's build a "BOMB" proof 1911

103m 95g
3 April 2009, 16:36
The “BOMB” proof 1911 project

Based on the “Let’s build an Extreme use AR” thread , I Thought there should be a similar thread applied to the 1911. With permission from the admin’s, let’s get started.

The ultimate goal of this project is for a Reliable, Durable, Accurate, and Police/Soldier proof 1911. The build is for a combat 1911, with some refinements, I’m not looking to build a race gun. Please understand that I am personally building this and it will be built as time, finances, and parts are acquired. With that in mind I would like to know how you would build this 1911. I would like to hear what parts you would use if this was your project. If you would use MIM vs. Milled/CNC parts. What brand of certain parts and why, ie… Wilson Combat’s value line™ vs. Bullet Proof™, or does it matter with something like grip screws.

The Skeleton for this project is a stripped SS Caspian “Recon” frame, and stripped Caspian slide that is matched to the frame. The slide uses an external extractor and a 38 super type firing pin, which I already have. The slide is cut for NOVAK® sights front and rear. The Plunger tube was installed at the factory. This frame/slide has the ability to be built as either a series 70 or 80 style.

Parts list
Barrel, Barrel bushing, Link pin, Recoil guide rod, Springs, Pins, Trigger, Hammer, hammer strut, Sear, Disconnector, Grip Safety, Thumb Safety, Mainspring Housing, Grip Escussions, Grip Screws, Grips, Magazine Catch, Slide Stop/Release, Sights, and this list would not be complete without Magazines.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/103m95g/008-1.jpg

Stickman
4 April 2009, 10:04
That Caspian frame reminds me of my old Sig GSR, which was fantastic.

I can;t wait to see what direction this ends up going. My 1911 builds are all a few years back, so I need to think awhile before I start throwing out parts.

Army Chief
4 April 2009, 11:32
Agree with the starting point: Caspian is the ideal base upon which to build.

AC

wortman
6 April 2009, 15:24
103m where did you pick up your frame and slide from, I have been looking but have not found one as of yet. Except for the one at brownells and I think its only a frame not the pair

103m 95g
6 April 2009, 17:31
<cough> SHOT show special<cough>

jeeves915
6 April 2009, 22:21
Actually, Caspian ran that as special for a while, as they were contract overruns from the original Sig GSR line.
You can still get it yourself here:
http://www.caspianarms.com/specials.php

Custom-X_Sponjah
7 April 2009, 05:47
I'm looking forward to seeing how this pistol evolves.
Hopefully I can fit a matching Frame/Slide into my budget, so I can try and build a twin to what we end up with..

CXS

jeeves915
7 April 2009, 07:03
Custom:
Check out Fosterind.com . Those are Caspian "seconds" typically, where the checkering overruns a bit, or there is a scratch, etc. Great deals on great gear. Some are also contract overruns. Should save you a few $$$.

Also, since that IS caspian, if you order a frame from there, and a slide from Caspian, you should be able to get them to prefit it together for you as well.

-Adam

gunnut284
16 April 2009, 14:34
I'm looking at doing the same thing.

Stickman
16 April 2009, 16:52

Did you plan on going with a flared magwell that was part of the MSH?

103m 95g
17 April 2009, 04:33
you lost me on the "MSH"

you have something in mind?

ah, "Main spring Housing"

I'm open to that, I can see it being a benifit to a reload under stress